Eagles Summer Classic

The game seemed like three different stages to me. Although, sometimes I find after watching a game on film it played out differently than I remembered. Soccer18 can correct any misconceptions when he checks the film.

It looked like about the first 8-10 minutes De Anza was controlling the ball and passing well. After that, the first half was spent primarily on De Anza's defensive end. RSC was getting feet on a lot of De Anza passes and keeping them bottled up pretty well. This lead to numerous corner kicks that produced several very dangerous opportunities for RSC. The second half De Anza was able to get the ball up field more consistently and they didn't give up so many corners. It certainly looked like both teams were spent towards the end of the game. It's crazy to think that at Surf this level of effort gets you to the semi-finals and there are two more games to win it all the next day.

Agreed Kickingandscreaming. One hell of a game. DeAnza is one hell of a team. Game definitely ebbed and flowed -We had our chances: 2 almost goals off corners and a crossbar shot, but in the end the better team won. I'll say it again - I can't wait for the rematch....... and yes - crazy that we're both in the same bracket at Surf, along with 2 other very tough teams. Only the final scores will tell which of the four comes out on top of bracket.

Can't help but say this - The REFEREE was a bozo. plain and simple. Felt sorry for him.

Also say this: The Camarillo Eagles have the BEST fields in ALL of Southern California. There isn't even a close second.

A quick shout-out to ILOVETHISGAME - Camera Pole update - Filmed the game against Elk Grove, but had technical difficulties prior to Strikers game. Flashback to watching 4 grown men try and fix the problem.... thought of you and chuckled. Good news is - ordered replacement parts and will be up and filming at Galaxy tourney this weekend.

Another musing - Figured RSC finished fourth in this tournament. You see: We lost to DeAnza by 3 goals. Real SoCal SCV (Santa Clarita Valley) lost to them by 2 goals and Eagles only lost to them by 1 goal. Soooooooo - here's how I see it.

1st place DeAnza
2nd place Eagles
3rd place RSC SCV
4th place RSC EGSL

Yes, Soccer18, we'll be back at it down in Surf. I know it will be another hard fought game. But, like you said, all the games will be tough down at Surf.

Also agree that the fields at the Eagles facility in Camarillo were exceptional. I won't even complain about the ride back home when we get to play on fields that are such high quality. If the fields in Oceanside aren't any better than they were in May for Manchester Cup, it will be a much tougher job for our girls to play their style. Is it just me or were the fields in Oceanside considerably better when they first opened?

Yes, Soccer18, we'll be back at it down in Surf. I know it will be another hard fought game. But, like you said, all the games will be tough down at Surf.

Also agree that the fields at the Eagles facility in Camarillo were exceptional. I won't even complain about the ride back home when we get to play on fields that are such high quality. If the fields in Oceanside aren't any better than they were in May for Manchester Cup, it will be a much tougher job for our girls to play their style. Is it just me or were the fields in Oceanside considerably better when they first opened?

Oceanside, polo fields and Norco - ALL top facilities (WHEN THEY OPENED), but that is no longer the case. So unfortunate.

Don't get me wrong. Still nice fields, but no where near the quality that they used to be.

Oceanside, polo fields and Norco - ALL top facilities (WHEN THEY OPENED), but that is no longer the case. So unfortunate.

Don't get me wrong. Still nice fields, but no where near the quality that they used to be.

Silver Lakes was good this week, at least the two fields we played on. The weather not so good!!

Silver Lakes was good this week, at least the two fields we played on. The weather not so good!!

I walked around Silverlakes the last time I was there (2 weeks ago), and some of the fields were nice, but there were quite a few that were getting rough. Groundskeepers had put sand in to replace the bad spots..... mainly up the middle of the fields and in front of the goals (typical soccer usage).

I walked around Silverlakes the last time I was there (2 weeks ago), and some of the fields were nice, but there were quite a few that were getting rough. Groundskeepers had put sand in to replace the bad spots..... mainly up the middle of the fields and in front of the goals (typical soccer usage).
Considering the usage that both Silverlakes and Oceanside gets, they're excellent fields, but I agree with the earlier point about the fields in Camarillo being top notch.

The Camarillo fields are shared by AYSO Region 68 and Eagles SC. They are closed probably around 2-3 months of the year at various times for rest and thatching. The field are owned by the city and can only be used for soccer even though there are other sports (mainly lacrosse) that are trying to use them. The city forces both Eagles and AYSO to alternate between holding their practices on the north half and the south half on a weekly basis, so that only one half of the fields are used for training at a time. Since they have so many teams, many of the Eagles teams practice off-site at local city parks - same thing with AYSO. Great painstaking care is put into how the goals are dragged on and off the fields and during CSL teams are forbidden (besides GK) from warming up on the actual fields. Eagles are very anal about their fields. But yes they are the best and that is why.

One thing I don't like that Eagles does for their tournaments is that they charge $7 for parking (which is their policy... so whatever) but then they go over and physically lock all of the pedestrian entrances to the fields so if you park out on the street you have to walk all the way around to the parking lot entrance to haul all of your stuff in. So what you see is families jumping the fence (which is obviously dangerous) and elderly and people with small children having to make a long long trek to the fields. And the parking lot gets full quickly so it is not like you are being cheap by parking outside. It will also take you a good 20 minutes to drive from one end of the parking lot to the other just to not be able to find a place to park due to the way the parking lot is laid out.

And no I am not with this club - I just know lots of people. :)

One more thing to add TangoCity - Eagles close their fields with even the most minimal moisture in the air. I USED to be with this club and I've seen them close these fields on a misty morning before CSL games had started - no rain at all - just mist.

That's also why you've never seen (and probably never will) - a State Cup type event played there, because Eagles will never guarantee to CalSouth that their fields will remain open in event of rain etc....

One last thing. In years past (I think they still do it), all ages above U13 (or so) can NOT train or practice on the fields with regular cleats. All of the older kids must train in turf cleats at these fields.

Kind of picky / anal / petty ------- BUT one can see why - absolutely the BEST fields in SoCal.

The Camarillo fields are shared by AYSO Region 68 and Eagles SC. They are closed probably around 2-3 months of the year at various times for rest and thatching. The field are owned by the city and can only be used for soccer even though there are other sports (mainly lacrosse) that are trying to use them. The city forces both Eagles and AYSO to alternate between holding their practices on the north half and the south half on a weekly basis, so that only one half of the fields are used for training at a time. Since they have so many teams, many of the Eagles teams practice off-site at local city parks - same thing with AYSO. Great painstaking care is put into how the goals are dragged on and off the fields and during CSL teams are forbidden (besides GK) from warming up on the actual fields. Eagles are very anal about their fields. But yes they are the best and that is why.

One thing I don't like that Eagles does for their tournaments is that they charge $7 for parking (which is their policy... so whatever) but then they go over and physically lock all of the pedestrian entrances to the fields so if you park out on the street you have to walk all the way around to the parking lot entrance to haul all of your stuff in. So what you see is families jumping the fence (which is obviously dangerous) and elderly and people with small children having to make a long long trek to the fields. And the parking lot gets full quickly so it is not like you are being cheap by parking outside. It will also take you a good 20 minutes to drive from one end of the parking lot to the other just to not be able to find a place to park due to the way the parking lot is laid out.

And no I am not with this club - I just know lots of people. :)
Paying to get in and not finding a spot is always fun. But, I can't really argue with shutting down the other pedestrian entrances. In a tournament with that many youngsters and so much going on in one spot, limiting access is a good idea for safety reasons. You must really hate Surf, Manchester City, etc. at Oceanside. Parking at $10/day or "Do you feel lucky, punk?" at $25 for 3 days (or 2) and the fields aren't as good. It's not a short trek to walk in uphill either. Good thing at Oceanside is that you are guaranteed a spot once you get in.

Back