DMCV Sharks Girls Director

Not sure all of your intel is accurate, but friend at Albion did confirm that about 2/3 of the 2009 team is looking to jump immediately. No word on coaches or players from other age groups.

"2/3".... meaning two thirds or 2-3?........thanks!

This is not accurate and is probably only applicable to the situation at SAN DIEGO SURF and maybe it’s an ECNL marketing scheme.
For example, you analysis is not applicable to Bay Area Surf or Nor Cal Surf which are not part of ECNL. It appears, the majority of the time there is spent practicing with a players shitty local team and if they are lucky they get selected to train with the pool once per month or play with the A team. I don’t see how this is beneficial. I also don’t see how the ECNL/ECRL pool situation situation is not limited to San Diego and could work elsewhere.

What have the other "Surfs" got to do with San Diego....... the answer is nothing.......

Good stuff. How did he do it? Special drills? Inspiration/Encouragement? Specifically, what is it that makes dude so special in your opinion?
Gosh, hard for me to remember specifics. He coached her I think between the ages of 9 and maybe 11 and she is 18 now. I do remember that he really improved her confidence, and focused on possession play a lot in practice. Gave her a great foundation. He also was good with communication with parents that I recall. I also know my daughter really liked that he would actually play in the at-practice scrimmages with them, he made it fun for them but he was serious about bringing out the best in them. It was a good balance. We were so sad when he announced he was leaving for Albion. It was out of the blue and parents were upset, but I for one was happy for him because he was commuting all the way to Newport Beach from deep San Diego county and he had little kids. It made sense for him to go.

100% not true according to my conversations. Also folks were insinuating that “pool play” is the way of the future for all clubs. I call BS!
Pool play seems like an experiment here and now. We will see if it works out. I also doubt most clubs will utilize it. Deza from what I was told tried to implement this somehow at SJQ, but it did not happen.

How are high school players pool players? On a whim, the high school coach can move any player(s) between varsity, JV and JVR. Isn’t that the very definition of a pool player rotating between teams based on need and ability.

Maybe I should rephrase my above, pool play is here to stay for the bigger clubs like Surf, LAFC, Blues and Legends. Is it really that different on who makes the first team/second team—now decided on a weekly basis instead of an annual basis. And you get the benefits of training with first team players and coaches 2-3 times per week. It’s all about development, I hope….
You cannot compare HS to pay to play club. I get what you are saying but to make it an apples to apples comparison doesn't make sense.

We use the word development a ton in youth soccer. The word provides such comfort to parents as they shell out the $$$. Some kids get developed, many don't. It's about wins and college placement for the big clubs. Many of us here on the forum are on our 2 or 3rd player, with our first off to play at the next level (or not). We shouldn't be so naive about the system.

One of the GA/DPL clubs here in MA tried the “pool” concept and it was a disaster. We have friends on both the GA & DPL team. Top 8 kids stayed on GA so they were happy. Bottom 8 kids only played on DPL so they felt slighted. Middle 16 kids were in a constant state of flux, not knowing where they were playing week to week. That lead to a lot of “My kid was better than that kid at practice this week, why didn’t she get picked for the higher team?” Plus, the parents hated not knowing it they had a local game or travel game until late in the week. It was a mess and I believe the “pool” concept only lasted one year.

One of the GA/DPL clubs here in MA tried the “pool” concept and it was a disaster. We have friends on both the GA & DPL team. Top 8 kids stayed on GA so they were happy. Bottom 8 kids only played on DPL so they felt slighted. Middle 16 kids were in a constant state of flux, not knowing where they were playing week to week. That lead to a lot of “My kid was better than that kid at practice this week, why didn’t she get picked for the higher team?” Plus, the parents hated not knowing it they had a local game or travel game until late in the week. It was a mess and I believe the “pool” concept only lasted one year.
Probably why the pool concept if used abroad works. No parents, one program, a real academy program, and end result that the players know they can be released.

Have never seen it work. Way to much of what you describe above gets in the way. If anyone can do it, it would be Surf. They have a loyal following and parents may fall in line.

It depends on the college conference, but the number of players rostered varies between 27-30 players. My math is a bit fuzzy, but that’s more than 2 teams. Pool of players to choose from. Yes.
Isn’t the definition of pool play being that a coach is able to choose from a pool of players for each match?
So high school and college and pro is most definitely pool play.
By your definition every team is pool play then. You cannot be serious. Pool play is moving players between teams (ECNL/ECRL for example).

Heres another issue with pool play parents have to consider. When the initial group of players is selected (both A and B) clubs will already have offered scholarship to X amount. Everyone else is fighting for playing time. The club/coach will leverage the inequal balance of power to pressure parents into paying their dues in full asap. What will happen is the players who pay their dues first will be the ones that play on the A team in the first tournaments of the year. Coaches dont even need to go this far. They just have to seperate the players in practice who's parents are paid in full with the scholarship players. Parents will get the hint fast to pay up or your kid is on the B team.

Heres another issue with pool play parents have to consider. When the initial group of players is selected (both A and B) clubs will already have offered scholarship to X amount. Everyone else is fighting for playing time. The club/coach will leverage the inequal balance of power to pressure parents into paying their dues in full asap. What will happen is the players who pay their dues first will be the ones that play on the A team in the first tournaments of the year. Coaches dont even need to go this far. They just have to seperate the players in practice who's parents are paid in full with the scholarship players. Parents will get the hint fast to pay up or your kid is on the B team.
LA breeds gangsters but the Bay Area breeds pimps, players, and hustlers.

Shot out to Deza. What’s good pimpin? I think Berner looks like Deza so I dedicate this song to all y’all feeling the pool play.

Heres another issue with pool play parents have to consider. When the initial group of players is selected (both A and B) clubs will already have offered scholarship to X amount. Everyone else is fighting for playing time. The club/coach will leverage the inequal balance of power to pressure parents into paying their dues in full asap. What will happen is the players who pay their dues first will be the ones that play on the A team in the first tournaments of the year. Coaches dont even need to go this far. They just have to separate the players in practice who's parents are paid in full with the scholarship players. Parents will get the hint fast to pay up or your kid is on the B team.
Excellent takes bro. I would also add the "extra privates" with the pool director each week would make A team a shoe in.....lol Funny Friday The 13th :)

Pool play seems like an experiment here and now. We will see if it works out. I also doubt most clubs will utilize it. Deza from what I was told tried to implement this somehow at SJQ, but it did not happen.
I tend to differentiate soccer club structures by how "team-centric" they are. A club that has tryouts at the beginning of the year and selects players from that tryout and those are the players that train together and play together as a team the whole season is highly team-centric. Pool play would be the other end of the spectrum - players train and play across age groups/teams and new players come in regardless of roster size or time of the year.

My impression is that you need at least two, fully rostered teams in an age group that have a very similar schedule to have any chance of successfully implementing "pure" pool play. I don't believe most families will regularly accept, "Your daughter won't be playing this weekend" when others in the pool are playing. Even with a 2nd team that has a similar schedule, it will still be a struggle to keep those borderline kids who are more often with the 2nd team - especially if they can go to another team in the league and play with the first team.

The SJQ DA never had two DA teams in an age group, but they did move players between age groups regularly. It can be argued that the reasoning was not only developmental for the player but also strategic for the club as both purposes were served. I'd also say that their training was more "pool play" oriented as multiple age groups often trained at the same time and worked through training stations with combined age groups.

What Deza did at SJQ DA was not easy to implement. All the coaches had to buy into the same training methodology and have much less autonomy than they typically would have when coaching a club team. Parents would regularly see multiple roster changes on a weekly basis and many would evaluate what that meant for their daughter and the team. I'd be surprised if that type of club structure became common on the girls' side.

Back