DMCV Sharks Girls Director

Coach MW formally at Albion has joined Sharks as their new director on the girls side. Many have posted their thoughts regarding Sharks and their performance in ECNL and have offered various suggestions (on other threads) as to how they move forward. Well here is a concrete action they have taken. Based on MW teams prior performances, level, and style of play this may be a positive step for those that hope to see the level of play in ECNL continue to be raised from top to bottom.
Is MacMillan still with the Sharks? Who did MW replace?

Surf (a club 15 minutes away from Sharks) is going to implement pool play next season. Players will be fighting for playing time week in and week out.

This is Sharks ECNL competition.

It would be dangerous for the previous Sharks players to go head to head against teams like Surf.

It might bruise some Sharks parents egos. But this needed to happen.
Is this a local pool for kids from San Diego or one big giant socal pool? Just curious. How far is too far to drive for a chance to swim with the best and be coached by one of the all-time coaches? Socal Blues ring a bell? Maybe go "Socal Surf?" Someone said Vegas players will be in swimming in the pool? I think that was a joke. Anyone from AZ? If I were the Sharks right now, I would sell that you must be from the County of SD to be on our team. Full rides for those who sacrifice to get there at Surf someone said as well? Surf will be hard to beat. 20 plus YNT calls ups, 11 Natty's and the great Deza. Good luck for second place.

Is this a local pool for kids from San Diego or one big giant socal pool? Just curious. How far is too far to drive for a chance to swim with the best and be coached by one of the all-time coaches? Socal Blues ring a bell? Maybe go "Socal Surf?" Someone said Vegas players will be in swimming in the pool? I think that was a joke. Anyone from AZ? If I were the Sharks right now, I would sell that you must be from the County of SD to be on our team. Full rides for those who sacrifice to get there at Surf someone said as well? Surf will be hard to beat. 20 plus YNT calls ups, 11 Natty's and the great Deza. Good luck for second place.
In SD you have 3 options for ECNL...

Surf in north central coastal SD
Sharks in north central coastal SD
Rebels in Chula Vista (by the border)

Blues are Irvine / San Juan Capisteano. (30-40 minute drive with no traffic from North SD)

This is why people are watching what happens with Sharks so closely.

If you want to play GA in SD theres Albion in PB/OB and CitySC in Carlsbad.

As multiple people on this thread have stated theres going to be situations where ECRL Surf players are going to say "screw this I can drive 10 minutes more and play ECNL at Sharks." Before MW was named DOC this would never happen because Sharks coaches/leadership were bad.

In SD you have 3 options for ECNL...

Surf in north central coastal SD
Sharks in north central coastal SD
Rebels in Chula Vista (by the border)

Blues are Irvine / San Juan Capisteano. (30-40 minute drive with no traffic from North SD)

This is why people are watching what happens with Sharks so closely.

If you want to play GA in SD theres Albion in PB/OB and CitySC in Carlsbad.

As multiple people on this thread have stated theres going to be situations where ECRL Surf players are going to say "screw this I can drive 10 minutes more and play ECNL at Sharks." Before MW was named DOC this would never happen because Sharks coaches/leadership were bad.
We drive 2 hours for my daughters practice.
We did reach out to the sharks when my daughter left rebels and they responded months later..
I always felt the situation at sharks was a bad one with the parents not letting the best players play for shark vs the embarrassment some parents will face if they’re kids got demoted. I’m hoping for the best for sharks.

You are off on the drive times; it is approximately 30 miles from South Carlsbad just to Basilone Road. The Great Park is another solid 20-25 miles. Getting in and out of the Great Park is not easy. You are also assuming NO traffic and speeds that are not realistic. I commuted to Tustin from Carlsbad for around 10 years, I know the drive.

That said, there are plenty of SD players making the drive, the drive is just longer than what you have indicated.

Surf (a club 15 minutes away from Sharks) is going to implement pool play next season. Players will be fighting for playing time week in and week out.

This is Sharks ECNL competition.

It would be dangerous for the previous Sharks players to go head to head against teams like Surf.

It might bruise some Sharks parents egos. But this needed to happen.

Is the pool play just on the girls side or also on the boys side of Surf? Just curious. Saw a boys ECNL game with 14 bench players and at least 8 players who were not even there because of injuries/prior engagements. This was there U19 team I believe.

Is the pool play just on the girls side or also on the boys side of Surf? Just curious. Saw a boys ECNL game with 14 bench players and at least 8 players who were not even there because of injuries/prior engagements. This was there U19 team I believe.
The rumor is that ANDRÉS DEZA Surfs new DOC will implement pool play next season. Theres pulses and minuses to the approach which people have discussed previously.

It would be interesting if Surf put a couple out of area/state players in the pool + let them practice remotely but brought them in for games.

I'm hearing rumblings of some unhappy Sharks parents who's kids are getting pushed aside by new kids coming in. I mean I get it, the timing is rough as they signed up and paid fees for what they thought would be an ECNL slot for the next season, but it's what needs to happen to improve the club's performance like it or not. What if sitting at or near the bottom too much longer meant Sharks lost ECNL altogether? No bueno. Either way, it does sound like a shake up is well underway and while there will inevitably be some collateral damage, it needs to happen.
Based on their records across ALL age groups, they have a lot of kids on those teams that shouldn't be in the ECNL. So if those kids start losing their spots to ones that can...that is sports.

Based on their records across ALL age groups, they have a lot of kids on those teams that shouldn't be in the ECNL. So if those kids start losing their spots to ones that can...that is sports.
The timing sucks for players who signed up early on with expectation to play ECNL. I complained one time to a Doc for a bold face lie from the coach. He asked me and I quote, "did you get it writing?" I said "NO! I didnt know I needed to do but I will next time Doc. Thanks for the tip." This is sports Hound and sports can be harsh no doubt it. I feel super sad for the players, but it is youth soccer sports. I can tell anyone here unless you have it writing, anything can go. Were all is good as our kids last goal and nothing is true unless you have it in writing. This is one of the most cut throat sports ever.

It would be interesting if Surf put a couple out of area/state players in the pool + let them practice remotely but brought them in for games.
That would be interesting. Maybe they can try it out at a tournament, like Surf Cup, and see how it goes. See how the families feel about their kid losing playing time to a kid not on the local roster. But that would never happen.

Sounds like that’s exactly what’s happening. I’d be asking for a refund, too. Easy to throw stones at unsuspecting Sharks players & parents here, but is it their fault their kids tried out for and made the ECNL team months ago? I think most of us can agree that “anything goes” during tryouts, but demoting kids/teams 2-3 weeks before the season starts is not something I’ve ever heard of before, even at the most cutthroat clubs in the OC. The way this has been described doesn’t feel like business as usual in competitive soccer.
Ideally, the timing should be before tryouts, but sometimes it can't happen due to many moving parts and doing the best when you can is all Sharks has left right now. The players at Sharks who belong on an ECNL team, will have a place on the ECNL team and benefit from the change because they will likely receive balls more during games. The players who are chasing balls and players will benefit so much more from this change once they get past the different team name. Hopefully, Sharks will do the right thing and refund parents if they choose to leave and not stay on the ECRL team.

That would be interesting. Maybe they can try it out at a tournament, like Surf Cup, and see how it goes. See how the families feel about their kid losing playing time to a kid not on the local roster. But that would never happen.
If I had a top player in the Surf pool, I’d welcome the outside competition. If the out of town player is better, then my player needs to work harder or accept the fact that they aren’t good enough. The players won’t all be local in college so, why does it matter where the players come from in club soccer? A player is either good enough or not. No excuses.

If I had a top player in the Surf pool, I’d welcome the outside competition. If the out of town player is better, then my player needs to work harder or accept the fact that they aren’t good enough. The players won’t all be local in college so, why does it matter where the players come from in club soccer? A player is either good enough or not. No excuses.
FYI Dre, I use colors now to respond to each take. You know what, true that. I heard a rumor through grape vine news that some of the surfers from Nocal might make the roster and play in the big games that matter? Take what I'm saying with a grain of salt and two shots of Tequila :). ECNL playoffs next year will probably have teams like colleges. Whatever it takes to win baby. No excuses and this is 100% about the survival of the fittest. This is high stakes soccer Dre. I really should write a book on: "How to get involved in girls youth soccer: One dads journey."

This is already happening. The bigger clubs are using their franchise or satellite affiliates to expand their reach beyond the local area and creating a similar "national team" experience to what US soccer does; acting as scouts and inviting the "top players" to train and compete with other "top players" and compete in the bigger tournaments. Basically creating "opportunities" that their smaller or more rural clubs wouldn't offer them. They have to be able to afford the travel of course. So once again, the first criteria of being a "top player" in club soccer is having the money to pay for the travel that is requires.

This is already happening. The bigger clubs are using their franchise or satellite affiliates to expand their reach beyond the local area and creating a similar "national team" experience to what US soccer does; acting as scouts and inviting the "top players" to train and compete with other "top players" and compete in the bigger tournaments. Basically creating "opportunities" that their smaller or more rural clubs wouldn't offer them. They have to be able to afford the travel of course. So once again, the first criteria of being a "top player" in club soccer is having the money to pay for the travel that is requires.
To be pro in girls soccer you need to be willing to go full time soccer forever young and you best better have rich parents who dont have to be somewhere 9-5 Monday thru Friday to pay them bills. No way a kid could swim in that pool. This is more for home schooled prodigies like OM and few others I know. I'm not against this. I tried to do it. I knew the social life was what my dd loves and no offense, being at my house doing school would suck for her. These types of families have the means, the talent and the connections that only money can buy. Tom Brady said you need to enjoy life more as kid and not just make it about 24/7 soccer soccer soccer soccer 10 months out of the year. The mental stress some parents put on kids is insane, especially the girls. To each his own but man, this has been nuts to watch over the years. OM made it to the top of the Mountain at 15 from hard work and commitment. To be the best, you need to train with the best. You can;t argue that point.

The rumor is that ANDRÉS DEZA Surfs new DOC will implement pool play next season. Theres pulses and minuses to the approach which people have discussed previously.

Shit this happened long before Deza

Two Vegas Studs and a Camarillo stud all did this on that 99 team for years

Never attended training and always started

That said all were part of the national team pool -

So you’re saying being benched for the equivalent of a ‘guest’ player from some affiliate is reasonable in a youth sports club/competitive environment?

Maybe smaller clubs could take those benched players on loan… it happens in the professional leagues after all.

So you’re saying being benched for the equivalent of a ‘guest’ player from some affiliate is reasonable in a youth sports club/competitive environment?

Maybe smaller clubs could take those benched players on loan… it happens in the professional leagues after all.
Yes, I think pay-to-play at times creates weak self entitled adults. ECNL is suppose to be competitive. Losing is part of competition. Why do folks feel just because they pay, their kids get to play in a competitive environment? This is why I think club soccer is essentially “affirmative action” for the rich; because every player is a winner so long as moms and pops has enough scrilla, scratch, paper to make it happen. Pure unadulterated fuckery!

The primary benefit that ECNL should provide is a competitive environment to learn team tactics. However, the vast majority or ECNL and D1 college teams that I have seen play are technically inept. Could you please explain how a group of technically inept folks can learn tactics and be competitive?

So for me, it’s not about the smaller clubs taking on people that have failed to develop technically and/or lack physicality. For me, it’s about being honest and telling these folks that they are not good enough so that they can move on and find something they are good at.

It’s been said that” those that can, do and those that can’t, teach.” So, based on my observations we should have lots of female coaches in the future.

Yes, I think pay-to-play at times creates weak self entitled adults. ECNL is suppose to be competitive. Losing is part of competition. Why do folks feel just because they pay, their kids get to play in a competitive environment? This is why I think club soccer is essentially “affirmative action” for the rich; because every player is a winner so long as moms and pops has enough scrilla, scratch, paper to make it happen. Pure unadulterated fuckery!

The primary benefit that ECNL should provide is a competitive environment to learn team tactics. However, the vast majority or ECNL and D1 college teams that I have seen play are technically inept. Could you please explain how a group of technically inept folks can learn tactics and be competitive?

So for me, it’s not about the smaller clubs taking on people that have failed to develop technically and/or lack physicality. For me, it’s about being honest and telling these folks that they are not good enough so that they can move on and find something they are good at.

It’s been said that” those that can, do and those that can’t, teach.” So, based on my observations we should have lots of female coaches in the future.
I read this quick but you get a "BOOM" from Crush. I was trying to write want you just wrote for three years. I now see why my dd was kicked to the curb. I had no scrilla or scratch. Oh snapo, no playo!!

Is MacMillan still with the Sharks? Who did MW replace?
MacMillan is still at Sharks. Last 990 (public information) filed by DMCV in 2019 had her making $265k. You'd think with that kind of jack, their ECNL girls teams wouldn't be in the bottom three of every division, some didn't win a single game last season. I've seen the new girls coming over, it's not going to get any better this year.

Back