Congrats Kaiya!

I realise that she hasn't announced a signing yet - but she will (or she needs a new agent!).

She has had a deal in hand for several weeks and has been in Germany since last Sunday. She had her first scrimmage on Saturday. So far so good. It's definitely not the NWSL but the pay is better for her at least. She had to request a waiver and they granted it. In the NWSL the league owns a players contract not the individual team so she had to request to not be picked up off of waiver. She will definitely be back in the league at some point maybe in May when the European season is over. She wasn't getting the opportunity that she wanted with the Spirit regardless of her performance in training so she had to leave to get a chance to play. It was a good experience for her overall and she already has interest from other teams when she decides to head back stateside.

Why wouldn't she want to stay in Europe for a couple of seasons? Get away from the craziness in the US, have fun, grow as a person and play a different style. She might enjoy Christmas in Germany, The Christmas markets are amazing.

Hope you didn't mind me posting that link.

Why wouldn't she want to stay in Europe for a couple of seasons? Get away from the craziness in the US, have fun, grow as a person and play a different style. She might enjoy Christmas in Germany, The Christmas markets are amazing.

Hope you didn't mind me posting that link.

No worries. As many good vibes headed her way as possible is definitely something that I don't mind. She likes the country for the most part but Europe is definitely a change of pace for a Southern California girl. She is excited that it is only 89 Euros to fly to Paris for Disneyland Paris. There is another American player on her team from the Midwest so she has a kindred spirit of the same age and the same basic backgroung to explore with. She is going to decide in May what she is going to do going forward and might focus on training and her internship if she doesn't find a situation that she likes stateside.

Thanks again for the kind words. Continued good fortune to you and your player.

Keep us posted MAP. It's invaluable to have your perspective particularly for those of us that have DDs that want to take the pro path.

Will do. There are lots of opportunities out there for talented young women that want to play. I was really surprised at how many opportunities there are. The NWSL is still king in terms of being the toughest league top to bottom but my sense is that if they don't improve significantly the soccer culture in Europe is going to make them eventually have better overall teams and better opportunities for North American players.

Continued good fortune to you and your player.

Her quotes in an article:

"There were parts when I was asked to compartmentalise what was going on in the world and just focus on my sport, but being a black woman I can't do that, I can't take off the colour of my skin, I can't turn off the feelings of grief that I feel as I mourn with my community."

She also said she went to Germany as they have ‘handled the pandemic pretty well’ in comparison to the US where she 'didn't want to go anywhere, because people just don't wear masks, don't social distance, don't really take precautions’.

- First off she must not have done much research on Germany. They are not big fans of foreigners, and especially ones that are not white.
- And in regard to Germany and the pandemic. That comment didn't age well. I will just post this chart and leave it at that.

2020-11-03_1348.png

Weird, my daughter is the same ethnicity and doesn't feel that way at all. Focus on your craft. Like Frank Zappa used to say, "Shut up and play your guitar." Well, apply that to soccer.

@Mad Hatter @push_up up @warrior99 - why so full of hate and jealousy?
No hate.

She said she was leaving because the US was full of racism. That is a hateful statement. And the irony is she is going to a place where they do not integrate foreigners and other colored skin people nearly as well as the US. That is kind of funny that she is unaware of that.

And going to a place where they have a handle on covid? Kind of funny as well. Europe isn't doing it any better vs us.

If you read her quote she is basically bad mouthing the US. At that point all bets are off. If you can bad mouth the US, well then I can point out her ignorance on her statements regarding racism, etc.

No hate or jealousy at all, trust me. She just didn't do her research. I was in Germany in the Army. If she thinks Germany doesn't have racism then she's in for a ride.

Back