Club soccer stuff that drive you nuts...

One of our kids' teams was blessed with a parent who would sit about 5 yards behind the coach and team bench and criticize everything the coach did, especially when he subbed his kid out.

One of our kids' teams was blessed with a parent who would sit about 5 yards behind the coach and team bench and criticize everything the coach did, especially when he subbed his kid out.

That kid doesn't start matches and plays a max of 10 minutes, preferably once the opponent has made their rest subs.

That kid doesn't start matches and plays a max of 10 minutes, preferably once the opponent has made their rest subs.

The kid was a strong athlete (state wrestling tournament finalist a few years later), a solid defender, and our backup goalkeeper. The coach never said it directly, but I fear he may have allowed the parent's attitude to influence his playing time decisions.

And the parent was no dummy --he had an engineering doctorate and hired himself out as a consultant for a living,

The trashy, angry, cry baby, ignorant of the rules, set of parents EVERY single Slammers teams have. Yesterday, another game against another Slammers, and this specimen showed up.

I have said it many times and I will continue.

So far, in 5 years of club soccer, 100% of the times there’s an slammers team, a set of their parents looks like this.

We beat them, so their crying was even louder.
View attachment 11543
Posts like this are classless and broad. I know you have posted similar comments like this. I am sure our teams have never met. Therefore your already wrong.. Would love to know what your club your with as I am sure I could easily accuse them of poor behavior. All clubs are culpable of poor behavior, please don't act like your free from it. And, I wont post a picture of you based on what I can imagine you may look like when playing a Slammers team.

Last edited:
This seems to be a recent occurrence- Having an ECNL team play "up" an age division and destroying their SoCal League opponents. I've seen this at least the past 3 weekends.
You'd think that "playing up" would level things out a bit- But the reality is that the players on that "closed" league probably have a birthday that is early in the year- So they aren't that far off from the younger player on the non-closed league team. And they are probably more physically mature than other girls their own age.

I think ECNL (for the most part) is great. It puts the best players in a league against each other. But if you are going to play in an all-star league- Keep your competition against other all star teams.

My DD's team was up against this last weekend. I hope our club decides to not play in any tournaments associated with clubs that consistently do this (Looking at you slammers and West Coast).
So, my daughters team played up at the 03/04 age group in tourneys the last two weekends. Coach wanted to get games in to prepare for league play. Our girls were 15 months or more younger on average. And were dramatically smaller in height and weight.

So, my daughters team played up at the 03/04 age group in tourneys the last two weekends. Coach wanted to get games in to prepare for league play. Our girls were 15 months or more younger on average. And were dramatically smaller in height and weight.
Assuming your team is 05? That's juniors and sophomores playing against seniors/juniors (maybe even a kid who recently graduated).
When you have a skilled (but smaller) younger team that is outplaying an older/bigger team - It's a recipe for injury.

Assuming your team is 05? That's juniors and sophomores playing against seniors/juniors (maybe even a kid who recently graduated).
When you have a skilled (but smaller) younger team that is outplaying an older/bigger team - It's a recipe for injury.
Yes, 05. The vast majority of the players on my DD's team are June of 05 or later. They are very young juniors or older sophomores. One of the teams they played are from a club near where we live. I know most of the girls and there all seniors. No injuries'.

Posts like this are classless and broad. I know you have posted similar comments like this. I am sure our teams have never met. Therefore your already wrong.. Would love to know what your club your with as I am sure I could easily accuse them of poor behavior. All clubs are culpable of poor behavior, please don't act like your free from it. And, I wont post a picture of you based on what I can imagine you may look like when playing a Slammers team.
Wah wah wah! Typical.

This seems to be a recent occurrence- Having an ECNL team play "up" an age division and destroying their SoCal League opponents. I've seen this at least the past 3 weekends.
You'd think that "playing up" would level things out a bit- But the reality is that the players on that "closed" league probably have a birthday that is early in the year- So they aren't that far off from the younger player on the non-closed league team. And they are probably more physically mature than other girls their own age.

I think ECNL (for the most part) is great. It puts the best players in a league against each other. But if you are going to play in an all-star league- Keep your competition against other all star teams.

My DD's team was up against this last weekend. I hope our club decides to not play in any tournaments associated with clubs that consistently do this (Looking at you slammers and West Coast).
The top teams in any region have a hard time finding good games.

If they play only top teams, the travel cost is immense. By definition, the top 20 teams are few and far between.

If they play up, they risk injuries and still get lopsided scores.

I don't support sending a top team to ruin a lower ranked bracket, but the scheduler for strong teams does have a problem to work around.

The top teams in any region have a hard time finding good games.

If they play only top teams, the travel cost is immense. By definition, the top 20 teams are few and far between.

If they play up, they risk injuries and still get lopsided scores.

I don't support sending a top team to ruin a lower ranked bracket, but the scheduler for strong teams does have a problem to work around.
I agree. After about 12, a lower flight team is a lower flight team. The age difference doesn't make enough difference to justify playing a tournament that is below the team's skill level.

I agree. After about 12, a lower flight team is a lower flight team. The age difference doesn't make enough difference to justify playing a tournament that is below the team's skill level.

Bingo. A flight-1 group of club freshmen have a better-than-average shot at beating a high school varsity team irregardless of skill level. Playing up a year is meaningless if you're entering a tournament that would normally be way beneath you, even if you justify it as "getting ready for season" because let's face it, you're trophy hunting.

Bingo. A flight-1 group of club freshmen have a better-than-average shot at beating a high school varsity team irregardless of skill level. Playing up a year is meaningless if you're entering a tournament that would normally be way beneath you, even if you justify it as "getting ready for season" because let's face it, you're trophy hunting.

Yes I think scrimmages are better for improved competition, less risk of over used injury and more affordable for us parents…..low level tournaments for higher ranked older teams are not my preference……… but each to their own

I dunno what HS boys teams are in your area but almost all the ones in ours are packed with club players already. Flight one freshman are mostly on JV.

All tournaments are trophy hunting, playing up at the better ones can help development in the long term.

So many tournaments going on the competition can be really thin depending on who's playing what?

Parents constantly caring about playing time. This is a team sport, if your kid is not playing their best, they should be subbed out.
That’s a bunch of bs.

I know of many parents that believe this. However, once their star kids (never had issues with playing minutes) get to college and are bench players, the sky begins to fall. They are now concerned with playing minutes.

I dunno what HS boys teams are in your area but almost all the ones in ours are packed with club players already. Flight one freshman are mostly on JV.

All tournaments are trophy hunting, playing up at the better ones can help development in the long term.

So many tournaments going on the competition can be really thin depending on who's playing what?

I was looking a the tournaments, including the ones my ECNL kids played in and the competition wasn't evenly matched I don't care if the teams were playing a year up... if a team is beating every team by 4-0 or more (usually more) then it's not beneficial to the stronger team.. So I agree with you on one hand about competition being thin but also not always is it beneficial to development in the long run (for the weaker team yes, but not the strong team beating up on everyone)

Just my opinion

I was looking a the tournaments, including the ones my ECNL kids played in and the competition wasn't evenly matched I don't care if the teams were playing a year up... if a team is beating every team by 4-0 or more (usually more) then it's not beneficial to the stronger team.. So I agree with you on one hand about competition being thin but also not always is it beneficial to development in the long run (for the weaker team yes, but not the strong team beating up on everyone)

Just my opinion

Yeah entering tournaments beside the major ones is a bit like gambling, sometimes hard to tell what you might get in terms of competition. Roll of the dice, during group play there can blowouts.

Even in national playoffs there where 4-0/1 games during the semis I recall but at that point your just happy to keep playing and getting some rest for the starters.

Clubs with cheesy mottos that are nothing but lip service. This past weekend, my daughter faced a team whose club states 'Developing Good People to Become Good Soccer players'. Well...after they were shown 7 yellow cards and 1 straight red in just that one match, I don't believe them. Their actions and verbal bullying were disgusting.

Back