Building out from the back --

So much wrong in that video clip.
i dont mind the clearance. I don’t think he planned on his teammate actually getting to the ball.
The player man marking the attacker- how do you whiff so bad?
The slide tackle? No reason to go to ground there.
Why didn’t the keeper come out waaaaayyy sooner?

i dont mind the clearance. I don’t think he planned on his teammate actually getting to the ball.

I agree.

Unfortunately the 50-50 play was out of frame.

The last defender should be thinking delay or limiting the attacker's options. Help was coming.

When my son was a keeper, I told him if he shouldn't come off the line unless he was sure he could win the ball.

When my son was a keeper, I told him if he shouldn't come off the line unless he was sure he could win the ball.

For a breakaway in Zone 0 (in the goalbox) most coaches will say always come out and you are usually blocking with your feet because of insufficient time to react. For a breakaway in Zone 1 (from the penalty spot to the goalbox) the guidance form most coaches is to always come out. Zone 3 (from slightly beyond the arc) hold (or better fall back to your line) for fear of being chipped. Zone 2 (from the spot to slightly beyond the top of the arc) is a tough one....if your defender is clearly beat and there's a possibility you can win the ball the advice is usually to come out but to time your run to meet the attacker within the box...because otherwise with a good striker you've left the goal wide open and haven't narrowed it. But the key is timing your run so that you aren't caught in no man's land. Coming out is a trade off between reaction time v. narrowing the size of the goal....if you are caught halfway you have neither which means speed is required.

The timing of the keeper's run in this example is perfect. It's timed to the top of the box and he beats the shot of the attacker. The keeper should have had this one. The problem is the keeper slid feet first, thereby opening the target on the goal wide open. The keeper should have slid shoulder first making himself big towards the ball.

For a breakaway in Zone 0 (in the goalbox) most coaches will say always come out and you are usually blocking with your feet because of insufficient time to react. For a breakaway in Zone 1 (from the penalty spot to the goalbox) the guidance form most coaches is to always come out. Zone 3 (from slightly beyond the arc) hold (or better fall back to your line) for fear of being chipped. Zone 2 (from the spot to slightly beyond the top of the arc) is a tough one....if your defender is clearly beat and there's a possibility you can win the ball the advice is usually to come out but to time your run to meet the attacker within the box...because otherwise with a good striker you've left the goal wide open and haven't narrowed it. But the key is timing your run so that you aren't caught in no man's land. Coming out is a trade off between reaction time v. narrowing the size of the goal....if you are caught halfway you have neither which means speed is required.

The timing of the keeper's run in this example is perfect. It's timed to the top of the box and he beats the shot of the attacker. The keeper should have had this one. The problem is the keeper slid feet first, thereby opening the target on the goal wide open. The keeper should have slid shoulder first making himself big towards the ball.

On the line or on the ball.

Ball was in the attacking third. Can’t see the full field. But it appears that the keeper was inside of his own 6 when the ball was at the 50 yard line. I’d prefer my keeper to be out a little further if there is only 1 attacking threat. ill take my chances with a 40 yard chip vs a 1v1 against the gk at 18 yards.

But what I don’t know is the context of the game.
1. What was the score? Was the white team pressing because they were down a goal or 2 with less than 5 minutes in the game? Was the green team whacking it forward because they were up a goal in the final minutes and just wanted to get it out of danger?
2. Is the green striker the best player in the state or not so good? Was the 1v3 typical of how he scores? Or was it the luckiest day of his life?
3. Is the keeper for the white team a full time keeper? And on what level of a team? Does he know how his center backs usually play? Is he sitting back 40 yards from the play because his center back is the best in the county and he makes that slide tackle 99 out of 100 times? The attacker is 1v0 at the 50 yard line. It takes him about 4 seconds to get to the 10 yard line where he shoots. The keeper does a decent job of trying to block the shot. But I’d rather him meet the attacker at the 20 or 25 yard line.

1. What was the score? Was the white team pressing because they were down a goal or 2 with less than 5 minutes in the game? Was the green team whacking it forward because they were up a goal in the final minutes and just wanted to get it out of danger?
2. Is the green striker the best player in the state or not so good? Was the 1v3 typical of how he scores? Or was it the luckiest day of his life?
3. Is the keeper for the white team a full time keeper? And on what level of a team? Does he know how his center backs usually play? Is he sitting back 40 yards from the play because his center back is the best in the county and he makes that slide tackle 99 out of 100 times? The attacker is 1v0 at the 50 yard line. It takes him about 4 seconds to get to the 10 yard line where he shoots. The keeper does a decent job of trying to block the shot. But I’d rather him meet the attacker at the 20 or 25 yard line.

the above is good example of all the various things that go into decisions and setups....analysis is tough without all the data...but for sure that slide tackle was "not smart"....

One fun play out of 60+ minutes (They don't even play a 90 minute game) of the worst soccer imaginable.
An example of everything that is wrong with US soccer.
...but that was a great goal!

I intended it as sarcasm aimed toward those who look on direct plays as if they were not "real soccer".
Actually in this case, it's not "those who look on direct plays" as not "real soccer"... it's the Poway High School Boys program that many look on as not playing "real soccer".

The context is the green team (PHS) plays kickball and sometimes a blind squirrel finds a nut... about sums it up.

I think the explanation is that his team lost. And that it was because the opposing team plays kickball.

I heard something like that first in 1998, although the criticism of the losing coach at the time about the winning goal was "It was just a toe poke", as if that were low class or something.

With regard to the keeper's play. The keeper played it properly. A keeper should not leave his line/arc until he feels that "stealing" space will result in a higher chance of stopping the shot. As long as the attacking player's touch is keeping the ball close, then the keeper needs to wait for the heavy touch or the distance and time between touches are enough to steal space and play. In this case, if the keeper came out earlier, the attacker had a very easy chip shot over the top with about a 90% chance of scoring based on his demonstrated ball skills. The keeper waited and reduced the chance to about 50% in this 1 on 1. We cannot fault the keeper at all, except for technique in the final slide. His timing was perfect, any sooner and he would have lost use of his hand because he would have been outside the box.

Back