Bad News Thread

Big island despite masks and vaccines is imposing a new round of business restrictions. Other counties are pressuring the state govt to restrict travel and/or approve their restrictions. Despite masks and vaccines.

Belongs in the good news thread but you know me.....

Belongs in the good news thread but you know me.....

That's nice. The current antibody treatment (remdesvir) costs about $1200 per shot (paid for by the covid authorities). What will the price of this new one be?

Australia waiving the white flag on zero COVID, though given the vaccination numbers they are demanding, probably won't exit from restrictions until the end of the year.....

New mask study....an attempt at RCT. Caveats: mask wearing was imperfect, social distancing was mixed in with the mask wearing, most of the study was pre-delta wave, and some people refused blood collection so they are only going largely on symptoms...something for both masks skeptics and mask proponents to challenge. Found about a reduction of 1% from 8.62% to 7.62% in symptoms between the intervention and control arms. Surgical masks caused a little more than a 10% reduction, cloth masks statistically 0%.

New mask study....an attempt at RCT. Caveats: mask wearing was imperfect, social distancing was mixed in with the mask wearing, most of the study was pre-delta wave, and some people refused blood collection so they are only going largely on symptoms...something for both masks skeptics and mask proponents to challenge. Found about a reduction of 1% from 8.62% to 7.62% in symptoms between the intervention and control arms. Surgical masks caused a little more than a 10% reduction, cloth masks statistically 0%.

I find your posts irresponsible. Just questioning the efficacy of masks is going to cause someone to not wear a mask and that person is going to kill me and others. Please stop your shameful behavior.

I find your posts irresponsible. Just questioning the efficacy of masks is going to cause someone to not wear a mask and that person is going to kill me and others. Please stop your shameful behavior.

The funny thing is it's being sold as a "masks work" study...it kind of is...a little bit...which is where I was pre-delta. :cool:

Should make the single use plastic warriors very angry!

The other problem is children. Properly fitting medical grade masks are difficult to obtain for them. It's also clear that while the surgicals may help a little (at least pre Delta), they aren't as good as the KN95s and N95s and those are difficult to find (particularly for single use) let alone fit to kids let alone have them wear it all day.

Back