Bad News Thread

My beloved ASU came out with an idiotic covid policy for this coming year.

The governor said that isn't happening. Common sense 1, Idiocy 0

If ASU has a large unvaccinated contingent this fall, that gives us a useful test case for Delta.

How fast does Delta spread through the dorms when only 50% of students are vaccinated? Guess we find out in August. Large number of students, together inside sharing the AC.

It gives the rest of us a good data point before winter hits. Similar to Arizona's ground breaking data collection experiment last August.

If ASU has a large unvaccinated contingent this fall, that gives us a useful test case for Delta.

How fast does Delta spread through the dorms when only 50% of students are vaccinated? Guess we find out in August. Large number of students, together inside sharing the AC.

It gives the rest of us a good data point before winter hits. Similar to Arizona's ground breaking data collection experiment last August.

Yeah, we can also see how many hospitalizations and deaths are in this age group. Will be interesting.

I've never heard it put that way before. Not even from Izzy.
How about from William Jennings Bryan?

He saw inflation as a transfer from rich to poor, and deflation as a transfer from poor to rich. Free silver, cross of gold, and all that.

He was right, at the time.

Yeah, we can also see how many hospitalizations and deaths are in this age group. Will be interesting.
The real question is how many elderly and middle aged people get sick because of exposure to infected youth. Think nurses and waitresses.

We can't really predict much until we know whether Delta breakthrough infections are common or severe.

This is why it is thoughtful of Arizona to run the experiment for us. It lets the upper Midwest know what to expect in October/November.

My beloved ASU came out with an idiotic covid policy for this coming year.

The governor said that isn't happening. Common sense 1, Idiocy 0

I don't particularly agree with what ASU tried to do, but the hyperbole around this is also stupid. Ducey is happy to mandate whatever he wants, when he wants, while also spouting about freedom and choice if someone else does something similar and he sees a political plus point in disagreeing with.

ASU already have mandates - clear and public for all to see. I haven't seen Ducey tell them to remove this mandate and leave it up to student to decide if they want to or not.

Kind of like LA's groundbreaking data collection on the futility of NPI's with their variant?

As of now...almost a year and a half into this we see the following:

Under the age of 29 there have been 2700 deaths total.

So there isn't any worry in this age group.

By the way starting last August ASU had students living in dorms that were full. Can you guess what didn't happen? They even had the AC going too. Any guesses as to what didn't happen?

Trick question. Nothing.

Now going into this year you have a substantial portion of the student body vaccinated. I don't think it is much of a stretch to say as The Who did one time..."The Kids Are Alright"

Continue on @dad4

Kind of like LA's groundbreaking data collection on the futility of NPI's with their variant?
Are you arguing that LA would have looked better with open indoor dining and no mask rule?

I do agree that the outdoor activity restrictions were counterproductive.

I don't see any similar argument for opening indoor dining last winter. That would have been a very bad decision.

As of now...almost a year and a half into this we see the following:

Under the age of 29 there have been 2700 deaths total.

So there isn't any worry in this age group.

By the way starting last August ASU had students living in dorms that were full. Can you guess what didn't happen? They even had the AC going too. Any guesses as to what didn't happen?

Trick question. Nothing.

Now going into this year you have a substantial portion of the student body vaccinated. I don't think it is much of a stretch to say as The Who did one time..."The Kids Are Alright"

Continue on @dad4
Arizona has the highest covid death rate west of the Mississippi. How are you sure none of those 17,000 deaths were linked to a case spike on campus? That is a very difficult argument to make convincingly.

Simpler to say that Arizona's covid containment efforts were a complete train wreck, and should not be repeated.

How about from William Jennings Bryan?

He saw inflation as a transfer from rich to poor, and deflation as a transfer from poor to rich. Free silver, cross of gold, and all that.

He was right, at the time.

We have to recognize the two common definitions of "inflation" --Do we mean an increase in the money supply (as free silver advocates such as Bryan wanted)? Or the upward measures of the Consumer Price Index (the "inflation" most people encounter (unless they are silver miners))? The first mathematically likely leads to the second (if we accept economics as mathematically sound) but I think the idea in Bryan's time is that fixed-asset debts (such as mortgages) could be paid off in inflated and thus less valuable money in the future. Good for debtors, bad for mortgage holders.

Of course, all that assumes that the debtor would be in a situation where he could obtain the cheaper money and not already knocked out by unemployment or bankruptcy.

The real question is how many elderly and middle aged people get sick because of exposure to infected youth. Think nurses and waitresses.

We can't really predict much until we know whether Delta breakthrough infections are common or severe.

This is why it is thoughtful of Arizona to run the experiment for us. It lets the upper Midwest know what to expect in October/November.

Don't forget middle-aged math professors - or are they already all vaccinated?

Don't forget middle-aged math professors - or are they already all vaccinated?
Mathematicians are an amazingly intelligent and scientifically minded group. I’m sure they all got vaccinated months ago.

unless they were working on a really cool proof. then maybe not.

Of course, all that assumes that the debtor would be in a situation where he could obtain the cheaper money and not already knocked out by unemployment or bankruptcy.

The largest debt holder I can think of is the government. Inflation is in many ways their friend.

It reduces the relative cost (value in today’s dollars borrowed) of repaying the National Debt with less valuable units of currency.

In this particular cycle, with labor shortages and the associated wage increases (minimum wage policies, unemployment boosts, increased cost of hiring or retaining employees, etc). The wage component may keep up or stay close to the cost increases. Maybe not, but it seems some wage increases are baked into the cake at this point even if not yet in practice in the workplace.

Either way the revenue from taxes should go up (taxation on a higher cumulative income) while the value of the payback of debt decreases at the same time. As a bonus, politicians can tout ‘rise in worker incomes’ while taking a larger relative portion of the value of their labor.

The largest debt holder I can think of is the government. Inflation is in many ways their friend.

It reduces the relative cost (value in today’s dollars borrowed) of repaying the National Debt with less valuable units of currency.

In this particular cycle, with labor shortages and the associated wage increases (minimum wage policies, unemployment boosts, increased cost of hiring or retaining employees, etc). The wage component may keep up or stay close to the cost increases. Maybe not, but it seems some wage increases are baked into the cake at this point even if not yet in practice in the workplace.

Either way the revenue from taxes should go up (taxation on a higher cumulative income) while the value of the payback of debt decreases at the same time. As a bonus, politicians can tout ‘rise in worker incomes’ while taking a larger relative portion of the value of their labor.

I remember being zapped for not paying my Alternative Minimum Tax once at a time when I didn't even know that was a thing. It's hard for me to believe that there couldn't be some mechanism like that to raise money.

I prefer discussion to echo chambers.

Expounding on that point, this forum is basically a discussion that became an argument. (Not that unusual in an online forum) You may be able to discuss things in a forum setting and occasionally convince others to adopt your viewpoint… What I’ve never seen is the value of argument in lieu of discussion in an online forum. Personal attacks don’t ever add value to a the viewpoint you’re expressing.

Back