Bad News Thread

Is Biden's reaction to losing his mask impacting whether people decide to get a vaccine or not? I guess I'm immune to "COVID Theatre" now and assume others are as well. I still imagine that lectern cleaning post from @Desert Hound as a Benny Hill skit with Yakety Sax playing in the background.

Half a million deaths are a joke to you?

Is Biden's reaction to losing his mask impacting whether people decide to get a vaccine or not? I guess I'm immune to "COVID Theatre" now and assume others are as well. I still imagine that lectern cleaning post from @Desert Hound as a Benny Hill skit with Yakety Sax playing in the background.
I don't disagree with you and I think a lot of people are immune to "Covid theatre" and I would have taken the J&J vaccine without hesitation, and I suspect you would too. However, those that wouldn't take the J&J vaccine are likely going to be the same ones that are going to be influenced by "Mask theatre" and the fact you still have to wear a mask even though vaccinated. There is a population that think "what's the point of getting a vaccination if I still have to wear a mask? I'll just wait until mask restrictions are lifted and not have to inject myself with something I'm unsure about". If the science shows that the vaccines truly work why disincentivize it by still requiring mask wearing, that's really stupid public policy. I'm strongly in favor of the vaccine (got my 2nd Moderna this week), it's nothing short of a "medical miracle", but I'm not going to lose sleep if someone else chooses not to get it,

This person was not from OC, just was chased by CHP FYI!!!

There is nothing the vaccination that inhibits the virus from entering your body or for it to spread from there to others. The vaccination makes it less likely that the virus will grow well enough in your body to make you ill.
Your immune system does the same thing for the actual virus. Without an EUA, trials, mask, s-distancing, and economic ruin.

I'm glad you appreciate his politeness. You know what I'd appreciate? LEADERSHIP, that's what I'd appreciate.

So troubling that we've moved from self reliance, individual innovation and addressing obstacles head on, to hiding and relying on the government to take care of us.
Biden is mentally and physically weak. His handlers prefer it that way.

Your immune system does the same thing for the actual virus. Without an EUA, trials, mask, s-distancing, and economic ruin.
India is useful actually for clarifying this. Some areas were over 40% seroprevalence but they still got the current mess. Some reinfections are happening from what we can tell particularly among the those who had asymptomatic or mild first cases. A natural infection is roughly the same it seems as the first vaccine shot. The uk has been studying giving only 1 shot to those who have had covid.

India is useful actually for clarifying this. Some areas were over 40% seroprevalence but they still got the current mess. Some reinfections are happening from what we can tell particularly among the those who had asymptomatic or mild first cases. A natural infection is roughly the same it seems as the first vaccine shot. The uk has been studying giving only 1 shot to those who have had covid.
Agree the first vaccine shot is not a natural infection.

Half a million deaths are a joke to you?
Speaking of Jokes:

Today we're going to check in on how some predictions are going.

Here we go, courtesy of the great Ian Miller (@ianmSC on Twitter).

Let's start with California and Texas. Remember when Gavin Newsom, governor of California, described the decision to drop the Texas mask mandate as "absolutely reckless," and then continued with his own crazy policies of closing even outdoor dining and then had similar or worse results than Texas for seven weeks? I'm sure this was all over the news, right?
sS89-Npa0a3PlsuTGjiGbehzpUp1RxZGFSxVaA4ghGk5Zu-XYH8mt4x7j0OV7W1ro4zcXhxSL0wu8nliS1EesKJAuc_5L-Cuybrww-MNLDlbb8JWppuOB5N2evFijk-0YlHIa4p9WPQb71sDlWp0h4SzYJoPc8M=s0-d-e1-ft
Let's shift to Iowa. Remember the Washington Post's headline, "Welcome to Iowa, a State That Doesn't Care If You Live or Die"? Deaths are down 91.4% since then:
zq7aF8lAA6kQl4SzKtFHoC-_syqhdDrqaSW3LdQ6y6H0V7UCMaVudFk86RbPG6Wui7VcTr8UEeeKrxAM69FKbWn_3B9hueWrrviE4xtMxQmYC5Xb5G3ocQMcOhZjm3cXQ-MbtGhe7cvxmYLfcnDl__5KIB7mUMo=s0-d-e1-ft
This one involves heavily masked Hungary against sparsely masked Sweden. Shouldn't these numbers be reversed?
9q36N5GVgABuGVnAc7fr2GPEAAc8Pomltq9M5iYrWppCOth8rcDk48RDKn-lbTA-FiN65yeCLN1_jPhE7uIFEUaE0kv9dn-CGg8kFVON8ZSkJuWYyDdmZvcVJC_CUpgUE2t_kQa4hJDhbvWvSdvh6X--9ZzwdNA=s0-d-e1-ft
As usual, no clear pro-Fauci story emerges from the charts -- as it darn well should if all the craziness and sacrifice had been genuinely necessary.

This message has to get out there. My newsletter can accomplish only so much.

A group of experienced and talented documentary filmmakers will be telling the real truth, though -- if we support them.

I've already made a substantial donation, because this cause is urgently necessary.

Not a great study (same critique as prior CDC study) but......

"The rankings did not account for things like population density, the close quarters in urban households or use of public transportation, all of which play a role in virus transmission."

This goes well beyond the critique if any CDC study.

They neglected to correct for any of the complicating factors. As a result, you can't tell the difference between the effect of lockdown, the effect of population density, and any other effect that correlates with being a major urban center.

This makes the study less than useless, and you know it.

"The rankings did not account for things like population density, the close quarters in urban households or use of public transportation, all of which play a role in virus transmission."

They neglected to correct for any of the complicating factors. As a result, you can't tell the difference between the effect of lockdown, the effect of population density, and any other effect that correlates with being a major urban center.

I don’t really think there’s a thing as more worthless. It sort of is what it is but we actually agree for once. The economics piece of this one is actually slightly more untainted to the extent there can be such a thing.

As I said with the cdc study, the only way to really control for demographics and variants is to compare like neighboring counties to like neighboring counties that had different restrictions. There are a handful in Utah, Kentucky, on the Missouri border, and on the Canadian border that could be used. From the little data I’ve seen it’s not kind to the Npi supporters

Here we go, courtesy of the great Ian Miller (@ianmSC on Twitter).

Let's start with California and Texas. Remember when Gavin Newsom, governor of California, described the decision to drop the Texas mask mandate as "absolutely reckless," and then continued with his own crazy policies of closing even outdoor dining and then had similar or worse results than Texas for seven weeks? I'm sure this was all over the news, right?

sS89-Npa0a3PlsuTGjiGbehzpUp1RxZGFSxVaA4ghGk5Zu-XYH8mt4x7j0OV7W1ro4zcXhxSL0wu8nliS1EesKJAuc_5L-Cuybrww-MNLDlbb8JWppuOB5N2evFijk-0YlHIa4p9WPQb71sDlWp0h4SzYJoPc8M=s0-d-e1-ft
Let's shift to Iowa. Remember the Washington Post's headline, "Welcome to Iowa, a State That Doesn't Care If You Live or Die"? Deaths are down 91.4% since then:

zq7aF8lAA6kQl4SzKtFHoC-_syqhdDrqaSW3LdQ6y6H0V7UCMaVudFk86RbPG6Wui7VcTr8UEeeKrxAM69FKbWn_3B9hueWrrviE4xtMxQmYC5Xb5G3ocQMcOhZjm3cXQ-MbtGhe7cvxmYLfcnDl__5KIB7mUMo=s0-d-e1-ft
This one involves heavily masked Hungary against sparsely masked Sweden. Shouldn't these numbers be reversed?

9q36N5GVgABuGVnAc7fr2GPEAAc8Pomltq9M5iYrWppCOth8rcDk48RDKn-lbTA-FiN65yeCLN1_jPhE7uIFEUaE0kv9dn-CGg8kFVON8ZSkJuWYyDdmZvcVJC_CUpgUE2t_kQa4hJDhbvWvSdvh6X--9ZzwdNA=s0-d-e1-ft
As usual, no clear pro-Fauci story emerges from the charts -- as it darn well should if all the craziness and sacrifice had been genuinely necessary.

Speaking of useless

I don’t really think there’s a thing as more worthless. It sort of is what it is but we actually agree for once. The economics piece of this one is actually slightly more untainted to the extent there can be such a thing.

As I said with the cdc study, the only way to really control for demographics and variants is to compare like neighboring counties to like neighboring counties that had different restrictions. There are a handful in Utah, Kentucky, on the Missouri border, and on the Canadian border that could be used. From the little data I’ve seen it’s not kind to the Npi supporters
Why do you prefer adjacent county studies? People cross county lines. The growth rate in county A partially depends on the current case count in county B. And the growth rate in county B partially depends on current cases in county A. The main NPI argument is growth rates, and your chosen type of study explicitly mixes the growth rates.

Double this if the NPI in question is indoor dining. Residents of county A will travel to county B to work and eat in restaurants. This mixes your data even more.

It seems a non-adjacent county study, but with similar weather, SES, and demographics, would be preferable.

Why do you prefer adjacent county studies? People cross county lines. The growth rate in county A partially depends on the current case count in county B. And the growth rate in county B partially depends on current cases in county A. The main NPI argument is growth rates, and your chosen type of study explicitly mixes the growth rates.

Double this if the NPI in question is indoor dining. Residents of county A will travel to county B to work and eat in restaurants. This mixes your data even more.

It seems a non-adjacent county study, but with similar weather, SES, and demographics, would be preferable.
Q.E.D.

The problem with that is then, as with Los Angeles, you’ll just say different variants. Otherwise Los Angeles is really all you need look at.

The thing is the states like Texas and Florida, that totally ignored Fauci's advice seem to generally have about the same rates of hospitalization and death as everyone else. Except Texas and Florida avoided destroying their economies.

Fauci was a stead hand through all this crazy year, and I don't doubt for a moment is a good man doing the best that he can in difficult times. But at some point the conversation has to turn to what went wrong, and how could be do better next time.
Start by looking at the prior administration’s lack of serious intent, how they ignored/denied the groundwork that was already in place provided by past administrations, undermining of their own team and its recommendations, etc. Except THAT reality first and the trends amongst the indoctrinated base it created, THEN you can begin to assess the overall response.

Back