Bad News Thread

Half joke, half serious.

I do think we should not fly until vaccinated. Given that I also think we shouldn’t go to bars or restaurants, that ought not be a surprise.
A bar, a place to drink alcohol that has a parking lot makes no sense to me in the first place.

Now run the numbers on the risk, through me, to other people.

I am not asking whether I personally am at risk. I am not.

I am asking whether my actions cause significant harm to others. I wish you were capable of doing the same.
Nutters don’t give a damn about how they effect others in any way.

Look for the CDC page on why they recommend masks. You'll find the 70%and 79% reduction numbers there.

45% and 54% are what to our get when you assume the 70 or 79 only applies half the time. (Because the other half of cases transmission is inside the home. )

How exactly does your vaccination status being your own business differ from anyone’s else’s mask wearing status being their own business?
One is a broad public health measure to reduce the spread of disease.

The other is an ad hominem cheap shot from two people who ran out of logical arguments.

If the local restaurant wants to know whether I am vaccinated, I am happy to follow their rules.

Look for the CDC page on why they recommend masks. You'll find the 70%and 79% reduction numbers there.

45% and 54% are what to our get when you assume the 70 or 79 only applies half the time. (Because the other half of cases transmission is inside the home. )
You keep clinging to that.

CDC studies over decades showed masks were ineffective vs influenza like viruses. Why suddenly masks will work now vs a similar type of virus?

In Feb of this year, the European version of the CDC said the following.

1) They point out that masks have never been shown to be effective in stopping the flu.
2) They say medical masks are associated with only a small to moderate affect of stopping covid. They then immediately make the caveat that there are still SIGNIFICANT uncertainties about about the size and effect.

This means they cannot really prove they (masks) make much of a difference.

3) Evidence of non medical mask protection is scarce and of very low uncertainty.

4) They point out that more studies are needed to determine if medical masks are actually effective.

In sum, they are saying they just don't know if or how effective masks are.

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 9.37.31 AM.png

Link?

And then you have this from the Canadian government explaining what masks do and dont.

Surgical and non medical masks stop droplets and spit.

They do not provide a tight seal around the face.

They don't effectively filter small particles (ie viruses).

What masks do (and to be fair it isn't in this chart) is that it A) virtue signals and B) creates a false sense of safety for those who wear them.

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 9.51.09 AM.png

This is the page he refers to.

The NZ study Kicking posted recently blows a huge hole in this. Not only does it knock out one of the pillars in the CDC study (the airline part, which dad4 himself apparently admits now is not very safe), but it also seems to show that aerosolized transmission is sometimes possible under certain conditions, not just droplets. A bunch of the other studies including the Roosevelt study conflate distancing/caution with masking, which leaves basically the hairdresser, which is an ideal situation (short term exposures, face to head) for which masks can most likely readily help.

You keep clinging to that.

CDC studies over decades showed masks were ineffective vs influenza like viruses. Why suddenly masks will work now vs a similar type of virus?

In Feb of this year, the European version of the CDC said the following.

1) They point out that masks have never been shown to be effective in stopping the flu.
2) They say medical masks are associated with only a small to moderate affect of stopping covid. They then immediately make the caveat that there are still SIGNIFICANT uncertainties about about the size and effect.

This means they cannot really prove they (masks) make much of a difference.

3) Evidence of non medical mask protection is scarce and of very low uncertainty.

4) They point out that more studies are needed to determine if medical masks are actually effective.

In sum, they are saying they just don't know if or how effective masks are.

View attachment 10549
You left out the part where ecdc recommends that you wear face masks while indoors in public spaces.

They also point out that a face mask is not a reason to be stupid about other things, such as distancing.

Ok. Wear a mask while indoors, and give other people some space. Sounds like good advice.

Link to the whole thing, February 2021 version:

And March 2021 version:

The March version takes away the wiggle room and just says “wear your mask”.

They do not seem to be saying “maybe masks don’t work.”

One is a broad public health measure to reduce the spread of disease.

The other is an ad hominem cheap shot from two people who ran out of logical arguments.

If the local restaurant wants to know whether I am vaccinated, I am happy to follow their rules.
I’m not saying your stance is wrong. Just hypocritical.

Back