Bad News Thread

This is why people don't trust government and have a low opinion of government agencies. Businesses have been diverting $$$$ to be compliant IAW federal and local agencies. Now turns out that it was a waste of money -oops, sorry business man, sunk cost, my bad.

"Hygiene theater" has caused product shortages, driven up pricing, and cost small biz to lay off workers or reduce pay to account for the cost of materials. Wait until we figure out that hand sanitizer was also a bad idea.

Remember when people rushed out and bought all the bottled water? :) Too soon????

Half joke, half serious.

I do think we should not fly until vaccinated. Given that I also think we shouldn’t go to bars or restaurants, that ought not be a surprise.

Assuming you are a teacher, not sure if that is only a label placed on you by others, why haven’t you chosen to be vaccinated?

It would seem that you advocate for vaccination/mitigation and should be eligible. Why not?

Assuming you are a teacher, not sure if that is only a label placed on you by others, why haven’t you chosen to be vaccinated?

It would seem that you advocate for vaccination/mitigation and should be eligible. Why not?
Every teacher I know has been vaccinated, the County has made it fairly easy for them. In fact, I would say the majority of my friends and family have at least their first shot (80% effective against Covid), including my 17 yo daughter. If you want a vaccine you can get one if you put a little effort into it. There are a lot of different options although going through your healthcare provider isn't a very good one in San Diego.

Now run the numbers on the risk, through me, to other people.

I am not asking whether I personally am at risk. I am not.

I am asking whether my actions cause significant harm to others. I wish you were capable of doing the same.
If you really felt that way you'd already be vaccinated. Teachers were eligible March 1 in California.

If you really felt that way you'd already be vaccinated. Teachers were eligible March 1 in California.

It's even broader than "teachers". Child care providers, camp counselors, tutors, coaches (club and school), private trainers, ballet instructors, yoga instructors, college guest lecturers, fellows, horse back riding instructors have all been eligible either under the educator or child care provider label.

My vaccination status is my own business, thank you.

I'm not really that good at math, but isn't 94% effective (vaccines) higher than 70% effective (masks)?
Who is arguing that it isn’t?

Given a choice between Moderna and an N95, the vaccine offers better protection to both the individual and the society.

I'm late, (not on here as often,) but I just can't get outraged about the non masked two year old getting kicked off a plane. Is it right? Meh- not something I'd personally enforce but not up to me. I feel like people have become very "Watch me make a statement blah blah blah" and in turn do stuff like this that delays everyone's flight. It's like come on- you know the rules by now, pick another airline that doesn't have that rule. If I'm a passenger wanting to get home, I'm not gonna be happy. Seems like a silly thing to make an example out of. Cover the kids face during take off and then loosen up.

I'm late, (not on here as often,) but I just can't get outraged about the non masked two year old getting kicked off a plane. Is it right? Meh- not something I'd personally enforce but not up to me. I feel like people have become very "Watch me make a statement blah blah blah" and in turn do stuff like this that delays everyone's flight. It's like come on- you know the rules by now, pick another airline that doesn't have that rule. If I'm a passenger wanting to get home, I'm not gonna be happy. Seems like a silly thing to make an example out of. Cover the kids face during take off and then loosen up.
I'm not aware of any airline in the United States that allows 2 year olds to fly without masks. I think it's in part because of some CDC guideline? After the problem with that autistic kid a while back, IIRC some airlines allow certain very limited exceptions for kids with Downs and very severe autism but there are like many hoops to jump through. The WHO's guidance was to recommend but not mandate for kids 2-5 which is a more reasonable policy, but people are really just pulling arbitrary numbers out their arses here since there isn't any science to exempting a baby more than a 2 year old more than a 5 year old, and there are a lot of 2 year olds out there perfectly capable of wearing masks, and some 7 year olds that just aren't for prolonged periods.

Understand your point, but based on the accounts the flight attendant did not give the family the option to comply instead just told them to deplane our she would call the cops. The other passengers were supportive of the family. A Spirit Airlines supervisor subsequently, and correctly so, allowed them back on the plane. We're it not for the flight attendant's hysteria and gross overreaction none of this would have ever happened. In my mind it was a "silly thing" for the flight attendant to make an example out of and lighten up, not the family. And yes, I agree I would be pissed if my flight had been delayed regardless of who is at fault.

The WHO's guidance was to recommend but not mandate for kids 2-5 which is a more reasonable policy, but people are really just pulling arbitrary numbers out their arses here since there isn't any science to exempting a baby more than a 2 year old more than a 5 year old, and there are a lot of 2 year olds out there perfectly capable of wearing masks, and some 7 year olds that just aren't for prolonged periods.
7 year olds? I personally know a 55 year old that has a hard time wearing a mask for a prolonged period of time. :D

Understand your point, but based on the accounts the flight attendant did not give the family the option to comply instead just told them to deplane our she would call the cops. The other passengers were supportive of the family. A Spirit Airlines supervisor subsequently, and correctly so, allowed them back on the plane. We're it not for the flight attendant's hysteria and gross overreaction none of this would have ever happened. In my mind it was a "silly thing" for the flight attendant to make an example out of and lighten up, not the family. And yes, I agree I would be pissed if my flight had been delayed regardless of who is at fault.

I didn't see any actions by the flight attendant that I would characterize as "hysteria".

Back