Bad News Thread

Agree but it requires some scary assumptions: that the South Africa variant was an early variant which crowded out other variants in sa leading to the dec surge, that the infection rates are much higher than testing indicates (plausible given it’s a 3rd world country) and that so many people have been infected by the new variant (including those who had the prior variants because prior immunity is imperfect) that they are now close to herd immunity. It would be a trifecta of awfulness and (is the seasonal variance isn’t holding up due to this new variant) awful news for our summer. The only decent news then would be it’s not much deadlier seeing sa hasn’t had a wave of death on par with say Italy at the beginning of the pandemic, despite being close to herd immunity. I’m skeptical of this scenario but I agree it’s possible
The one thing we have going for us is that humans and viruses have been around for a long time and ... we're still around. I am assuming it's because, even with variants, severity decreases if you had an earlier version of the virus.

Agree but it requires some scary assumptions: that the South Africa variant was an early variant which crowded out other variants in sa leading to the dec surge, that the infection rates are much higher than testing indicates (plausible given it’s a 3rd world country) and that so many people have been infected by the new variant (including those who had the prior variants because prior immunity is imperfect) that they are now close to herd immunity. It would be a trifecta of awfulness and (is the seasonal variance isn’t holding up due to this new variant) awful news for our summer. The only decent news then would be it’s not much deadlier seeing sa hasn’t had a wave of death on par with say Italy at the beginning of the pandemic, despite being close to herd immunity. I’m skeptical of this scenario but I agree it’s possible
Look at the median age in SA: 27.6 years. Barely over half of the median age in Italy.

You would not expect a huge wave of deaths in such a demographically young country.

Partial herd immunity aided by behavior changes seems a reasonable explanation. Remember that, if you adopt good anti-viral practices, herd immunity comes at a lower level. We may just be talking about a country of mostly young people, wearing masks, and spending time outside. Add in a bit of being afraid to gather for the last few months, and those 4 factors may explain the shape of the SA curve.

Good point on the prevalence of the SA variant within SA. If the SA variant is somehow still minor within SA, my theory is bunk.

Look at the median age in SA: 27.6 years. Barely over half of the median age in Italy.

You would not expect a huge wave of deaths in such a demographically young country.

Partial herd immunity aided by behavior changes seems a reasonable explanation. Remember that, if you adopt good anti-viral practices, herd immunity comes at a lower level. We may just be talking about a country of mostly young people, wearing masks, and spending time outside. Add in a bit of being afraid to gather for the last few months, and those 4 factors may explain the shape of the SA curve.

Good point on the prevalence of the SA variant within SA. If the SA variant is somehow still minor within SA, my theory is bunk.
Well the data out of Europe south of Scandinavia this weekend isnt great. Czech Republic is looking awful. Poland Romania Germany Ne all rising slightly (too early to see if it’s a new wave or just a bump up but given how these things go once direction changes it’s usually the former). France and Italy plateaued. Only real bright spots in the eu are spain and Belgium which have been the hardest hit countries so far. Given the eu vaccine rollout has been such a s show so far, if this is the start of the next wave it’s really awful for them.

Not sure if this should go in good news or bad news thread...

Cultural appropriating teacher union president being entirely hypocritical.

Not sure if this should go in good news or bad news thread...

Cultural appropriating teacher union president being entirely hypocritical.

I posted that article in the good news thread, because it was good news that he’s hypocrites are being exposed one by one.

One of the other points that was discussed at this forum I attended was the economic implications of COVID (the talking heads were split on pent up demand v. long underlying structural damage) and the implications of printing so much money over COVID relief. I've become substantially darker over the months in my long term outlook. This doesn't exactly move my needle to the more sunny side of things.

So I guess the question is do you agree with what says he is for or his actions?
Not sure I understand your question, because he is taking action that contradicts his other actions

His actions of taking his pre-school DD to a school outside of his district for in person learning, contradicts his other actions of not allowing in-person schooling in the district he resides over (even for pre-schoolers) because his position is that it is “not safe”.

So my thoughts are, either there is a political/union agenda that he must fall in line with to keep his job that goes against how he truly feels (this he sends his own kids to school) OR....well, I honestly can’t think of another reason why someone would do this but I’m open to listen.

Not sure I understand your question, because he is taking action that contradicts his other actions

His actions of taking his pre-school DD to a school outside of his district for in person learning, contradicts his other actions of not allowing in-person schooling in the district he resides over (even for pre-schoolers) because his position is that it is “not safe”.

So my thoughts are, either there is a political/union agenda that he must fall in line with to keep his job that goes against how he truly feels (this he sends his own kids to school) OR....well, I honestly can’t think of another reason why someone would do this but I’m open to listen.
As all rational public officials are trying to serve and protect there will always be some hypocrites. We have hypocrites calling others hypocrites, we have grown adults who believe in vampires, worldwide cabals and believe trump is secretly still president. It’s a mixed up world right now.

As all rational public officials are trying to serve and protect there will always be some hypocrites. We have hypocrites calling others hypocrites, we have grown adults who believe in vampires, worldwide cabals and believe trump is secretly still president. It’s a mixed up world right now.
Sorry but I don’t see how people believing in vampires or people believing that Trump is still president have anything to do with someone who is an elected official keeping people from going to school while they drop their children off at school in another district.

Sorry but I don’t see how people believing in vampires or people believing that Trump is still president have anything to do with someone who is an elected official keeping people from going to school while they drop their children off at school in another district.
So you missed the first part?

Bad news is coming to get many. Karma has no friends folks. Time to lawyer up and this is just the beginning of playing the game, "Dominos."

New York Governor Cuomo hires defense lawyer in nursing home probe

Look's like his bro can only cover him for so long and when bad news comes, he can;t cover for his bro anymore.

“Obviously, I’m aware of what’s going on with my brother,” ((I bet you are aware of your bro)) the CNN host said on Monday. “Obviously, I cannot cover it because he is my brother. Now, of course CNN has to cover it. They have covered it extensively and they will continue to do so.”

Bad news is coming to get many. Karma has no friends folks. Time to lawyer up and this is just the beginning of playing the game, "Dominos."

New York Governor Cuomo hires defense lawyer in nursing home probe

Look's like his bro can only cover him for so long and when bad news comes, he can;t cover for his bro anymore.

“Obviously, I’m aware of what’s going on with my brother,” ((I bet you are aware of your bro)) the CNN host said on Monday. “Obviously, I cannot cover it because he is my brother. Now, of course CNN has to cover it. They have covered it extensively and they will continue to do so.”
He covered his bro early on. All accolades.

All the press was telling us how Cuomo was the guy. Presidential even.

And at the same time a number of outlets were pointing out he was stuffing sick people into nursing homes.

And at the same time the major news orgs were telling us how FL was screwing the pooch. Even some on this vaunted board were saying the same about FL.

NY is however like CA. They just don't learn. NYC elected deBlasio.

He covered his bro early on. All accolades.

All the press was telling us how Cuomo was the guy. Presidential even.

And at the same time a number of outlets were pointing out he was stuffing sick people into nursing homes.

And at the same time the major news orgs were telling us how FL was screwing the pooch. Even some on this vaunted board were saying the same about FL.

NY is however like CA. They just don't learn. NYC elected deBlasio.

Back