Academy vs. ECNL

Hey I agree Cali. There are many roads that lead to Rome. I'm not conceited and honestly I was simply trying to pay forward the help that I got navigating the process. No worries. I'll stick to the college soccer thread since that interests me a lot more these days. My only comment to you is getting your player committed is only the beginning. If she actually cares about playing then there is quite a bit more advice out there that hopefully you or her get somewhere. Even though the ACC is having a less than dominant year it is still quite a task to get on the pitch.

Good luck to your daughter.

Although I disagree with most MAP points of view, I like his arguments and people can read all opinions and decide for themselves. The problem with this DA thread is that we have already discussed all possible angles many times over. I think that moving forward, and until DA starts or the DA teams begin to be formed, the more interesting discussion is what ECNL is going to do in SoCal. For example, there is a very interesting thread going on in a Florida forum about this. It seems that ECNL is expanding massively in Florida, probably with the intention of kicking out existing weak ECNL clubs that took on DA. Any insight on what will happen in SoCal?

[
Although I disagree with most MAP points of view, I like his arguments and people can read all opinions and decide for themselves. The problem with this DA thread is that we have already discussed all possible angles many times over. I think that moving forward, and until DA starts or the DA teams begin to be formed, the more interesting discussion is what ECNL is going to do in SoCal. For example, there is a very interesting thread going on in a Florida forum about this. It seems that ECNL is expanding massively in Florida, probably with the intention of kicking out existing weak ECNL clubs that took on DA. Any insight on what will happen in SoCal?
The bigger question is what clubs will ECNL add that isn't already ECNL or DA affiliated in SoCal?

[

The bigger question is what clubs will ECNL add that isn't already ECNL or DA affiliated in SoCal?
Yes, that is part of what I meant. Is ECNL going to take in new clubs in SoCal? Will some ECNL clubs be kicked out? Will some DA clubs only become ECNL as well? I think all this will be very interesting.

Yes, that is part of what I meant. Is ECNL going to take in new clubs in SoCal? Will some ECNL clubs be kicked out? Will some DA clubs only become ECNL as well? I think all this will be very interesting.

This is the type of thing that directly affects a lot of us. It's completely confusing because the ECNL seasons ends in May. The DA doesn't start until fall. I am sure many people who are elite will already know sometime soon they will be on the 03/04 DA but what about the rest of us minions?:)
Where do we try out? When?
No one is saying a word .
Many people are choosing clubs based on who has DA AND ECNL.

This is the type of thing that directly affects a lot of us. It's completely confusing because the ECNL seasons ends in May. The DA doesn't start until fall. I am sure many people who are elite will already know sometime soon they will be on the 03/04 DA but what about the rest of us minions?:)

You are assuming that the DA programs know how it will work. While the GDA will not affect my dd (she is not at that level), I am interested in how players will get to those teams. The programs that have both GDA and ECNL will likely promote from within and recruit like crazy. Those that have GDA but no ECNL will obviously promote from within and recruit too. However, LA Premier and Pats do not have "elite" girls teams at this time, but with GDA now, they will find new customers.

ECNL adding more teams in So Cal to try and combat GDA will be an interesting thing to watch develop (if true).

Last point, I strongly encourage MAP, NG, Pulguita, Mbeach, etc. to continue posting with their knowledge and experiences. It helps me for sure.

Some of us minions may wait and ride this next year out on an ECNL team until the clubs get there act together and there is an idea of what your getting into. Playing time and developement are still our focus. As my DD will just be starting HS next year. Better to sign with the Devil you know then the Devil noone knows.

I am going to take a wait and see approach with GDA. My DD was on a B team for her first 5 years of Club. She was able to develop a love for the game and her skill without the overt pressure of winning. Moved to a top team when the time came that she wanted to compete at a higher level. ECNL was and is still good for her. Things worked out well for her. Taking the same approach with my younger. And my dd isn't a fan of HS. Just my experience.

Haha just wait until parents have to deal with no reentry. Coaches will have to invest in Flak Jackets.

Some of us minions may wait and ride this next year out on an ECNL team until the clubs get there act together and there is an idea of what your getting into. Playing time and developement are still our focus. As my DD will just be starting HS next year. Better to sign with the Devil you know then the Devil noone knows.

Agree. The only issue is that there are so many DA clubs now that theoretically a marginal player could make a DA at a club so are you hurting the girls by not trying to get them on a lower performing DA to get them in the system? That's what I am hearing.
Makeaplay and NOGOAL always said it was best to get into an ECNL club by 13. I am all for hanging out at a place where my dd plays a lot and we like the coach it's just now the pressure seems greater because in theory the draw that ECNL had for the coaches MAY switch to DA in a couple of years. All conjecture but it's driving a lot of decisions.
There is already a lot of movement and we haven't started league

Agree. The only issue is that there are so many DA clubs now that theoretically a marginal player could make a DA at a club so are you hurting the girls by not trying to get them on a lower performing DA to get them in the system? That's what I am hearing.
Makeaplay and NOGOAL always said it was best to get into an ECNL club by 13. I am all for hanging out at a place where my dd plays a lot and we like the coach it's just now the pressure seems greater because in theory the draw that ECNL had for the coaches MAY switch to DA in a couple of years. All conjecture but it's driving a lot of decisions.
There is already a lot of movement and we haven't started league
IMO, A stud player (you will know if your DD is or not) can make the jump to whichever will be the top league at U15/16 for the college exposure. If not a stud, then U14 and have her hang on for dear life....not to be bumped in couple of years.

At U16 is usually when college coaches sort out, which players are college soccer material.

Last edited:
Wh
IMO, A stud player (you will know if your DD is or not) can make the jump to whichever will be the top league at U15/16 for the college exposure. If not a stud, then U14 and have her hang on for dear life....not to be bumped in couple of years.

At U16 is usually when college coaches sort out, which players are college soccer material.

What do you think about the fact though that now with such a diluted base its better to try to DA stud or not?

Wh

What do you think about the fact though that now with such a diluted base its better to try to DA stud or not?
Diluted, LOL, there will be no shortage of high end tallent trying out for the few spots on these DA Teams, Basically take the top 4 studs from every socal top tier and ECNL team and spread them out over the few dual age group teams. IMO The tough choices come in for the < top 4 studs on current socal rosters, do they take the jump and give up possible ODP, ID2, HS playing time for possibly a ride on the bench for the fewer DA games played each year. All this for the "EXTRA PRACTICE TIME" and better developement model. Easy Sell if your one of the top 4 Studs on your current top tier team in Socal. far less chance of riding the bench. But tought sell for the < top 4 studs. Very tough call to make the first year of GDA not knowing....

Diluted, LOL, there will be no shortage of high end tallent trying out for the few spots on these DA Teams, Basically take the top 4 studs from every socal top tier and ECNL team and spread them out over the few dual age group teams. IMO The tough choices come in for the < top 4 studs on current socal rosters, do they take the jump and give up possible ODP, ID2, HS playing time for possibly a ride on the bench for the fewer DA games played each year. All this for the "EXTRA PRACTICE TIME" and better developement model. Easy Sell if your one of the top 4 Studs on your current top tier team in Socal. far less chance of riding the bench. But tought sell for the < top 4 studs. Very tough call to make the first year of GDA not knowing....

Thanks for the insight. There are way more DA teams than ECNL though. Granted it's only 12 spots per age group but there are more clubs.

It could be a good idea to see how it all unfolds during the inaugural season. Then jump into the fold the following year, see which clubs need to fill holes to improve their teams. In a way you can apply the same theory to college recruiting. See which players are graduating out and what positions and committments they have coming in prior to your DDs class.

Then again it all depends on your DDs age. If younger than U14 then parents will be able to get an idea from parents currently in the Girls DA system. Parents with DDs U15 and above their DDs are already in the college recruiting years....so they should already be on college coaches radar may it be ECNL or Girls DA.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight. There are way more DA teams than ECNL though. Granted it's only 12 spots per age group but there are more clubs.
Its 7 spots per age group ony 14 girls will see play time each game, I'm figuring only 8 of the studs on the teams will not ride the bench and the rest will share some kind of game/bench rotation to try to keep them happy. And there are many Top tier teams in Socal that are full of studs besides ECNL teams. I understand the DA model is focused and evaluated on developement, but make no mistake , the coaches will be playing to win all games, this means fielding their best players all the time. Because the Club system has always been, "You have to win to keep the Talent coming to your club".....

Its 7 spots per age group ony 14 girls will see play time each game, .....

Since it looks like some parents read these posts to gather information, let's be precise about the substitution rules. Straight from the Girls DA application form:
"Game-day roster: 18 players and 5 technical staff members permitted on the bench and in the technical area"
"Substitution rules: no re-entry; seven substitutions across three “opportunities” for U-14/15; five substitutions across three “opportunities” for U-16/17 and U-18/19"

Back