21st Century Model

Overall I support this move, even though the majority of current NCAA Division 1 women soccer players do not. I do very much disagree with this statement however.

"POOR FIELD CONDITIONS IN MARCH
Potential Solutions:

• Many teams are already using high quality artificial turf. Artificial playing surfaces are widely accepted throughout the world and sometimes preferred."
Sorry, but I am not a fan of artificial turf for high level soccer.

Vote coming up for men's game.

Is this issue not gaining much traction or dead in the water for women's soccer? If so, why? Poor field conditions in March? What else?

Seems weird to me to have men's and women's soccer on different schedules, but maybe just have to get used to it if it ends up being the case.

Vote coming up for men's game.

Is this issue not gaining much traction or dead in the water for women's soccer? If so, why? Poor field conditions in March? What else?

My understanding is that the women want to be able to focus on academics during the spring semester.

If the men pass it the women will follow. Everyone is in favor of it.

Everyone? Does that include the coaches at the schools that will drop intercollegiate soccer due to the increased cost? They may end up splitting DI soccer into 2 classes, like how football is now.

If the men pass it the women will follow. Everyone is in favor of it.
Who exactly is "Everyone"? As far as I can tell, it does not include the women, who are more than half the D1 college soccer players. Does their opinion count?

Everyone? Does that include the coaches at the schools that will drop intercollegiate soccer due to the increased cost? They may end up splitting DI soccer into 2 classes, like how football is now.
Please explain how it will cost more?

This is confusing to me as well. How can you make these decisions without the women's side included. They are both D1 and should be talked about in tandem. Strange to me. Does anyoone have any concrete facts on why the women are not included in this vote?

Please explain why you think it wouldn't.
You made the comment based on what? Present the analysis and I will refute them one by one.
Trainers - no they have to work with soccer in the spring anyhow. They are training 20 hrs per week
Fields - Lacrosse plays Fri Sun typically - Play Soccer on Saturday only one game per week
Travel - Usually have to travel 2 different places and accommodate every road trip so one game per week is a wash.

Advantage - Everyone on the team can play. Play double header 1 game for record 2nd game training
Parents see their kid play, team is all on same training schedule for the week since everyone played
More development hours
Next?

You made the comment based on what? Present the analysis and I will refute them one by one.
Trainers - no they have to work with soccer in the spring anyhow. They are training 20 hrs per week
Fields - Lacrosse plays Fri Sun typically - Play Soccer on Saturday only one game per week
Travel - Usually have to travel 2 different places and accommodate every road trip so one game per week is a wash.

Advantage - Everyone on the team can play. Play double header 1 game for record 2nd game training
Parents see their kid play, team is all on same training schedule for the week since everyone played
More development hours
Next?

It's covered in the bigsoccer thread.

Who exactly is "Everyone"? As far as I can tell, it does not include the women, who are more than half the D1 college soccer players. Does their opinion count?
Girls don;t really count much in girls soccer. Girls in youth soccer only make the men millions why the parents have to pay thousands so dd can play and so USA can find that one special super star to carry our country to gold again. What a sport folks. Competition is so diluted it's now water. The girls reward is to be treated as second class in college to the men and get paid chump change and basically have to pay to play professionally. What is this? These clubs are ranking in hundreds of thousand of dollars every____________________ and all we do is argue over who the best 100 are in each age group and whose league is better and who has the #1 club in the country with 11 National Championships. Oh boy, can;t wait for 2020-2021 season.

I’ll be more clear: if the men’s side (which is where the vote is happening) passes it, the women’s side won’t be far behind. “Everyone” is the women’s college coaches who all want it. Shoot just follow the threads on twitter about it and you’ll see overwhelming support from the women’s side.

I used to be meh on it but to hear it explained it makes a ton of sense. And in the current climate where the NCAA is so mindful of protecting the welfare of student athletes I could actually see it happening.

Feb and April field conditions is a hurdle. But id rather fight that issue than the damage the 2 games in a weekend does. And shoot we all should get some advantage for being so cal people!

I’ll be more clear: if the men’s side (which is where the vote is happening) passes it, the women’s side won’t be far behind. “Everyone” is the women’s college coaches who all want it. Shoot just follow the threads on twitter about it and you’ll see overwhelming support from the women’s side.
Thanks for the reply. I am actually in favor of the change. I do follow the threads and there is no overwhelming support on the women's side. The majority of D1 women players are against the change at this time. From https://www.21stcenturymodel.org/concerns
"The Division I women have developed a proposal to decompress the fall season for similar reasons that the men are pursuing the two semester championship model. In 2016 on an NCAA survey, Division I men’s and women’s coaches and student-athletes were asked if they supported a two semester championship model, but not specifically the Division I men’s 21st Century Model. On this survey, 50% of D I women’s head coaches expressed support for a two-semester season, but only 17 % of D I women’s players indicated support."

Back