21st Century Model

Lets see, Freshman year - Came into school beat up from too much activity from club, high school, Nat team etc. (whole nother discussion) then had to come into college camp with 2 adays etc to cram for the preseason. Year round would avoid this.
My player played 2016 won a Naty got hurt during preseason with a strained MCL missed 9 games or 4 weeks - year schedule would have missed only 4 games preseason games
Sophmore year - got hurt in summer WPSL game - damaged foot ligament was ready to play with 5 games left in season or 2 weeks, sorry not wasting a season for 2 wseeks - red shirted. Would have had half a season left if year round probably would not have red shirted
Junior year - dislocated shoulder summer game. dislcated again in season missed 3 games - not so bad. Would have missed only 2 games and would have had rest of season to play in spring
Senior year - broken leg in May - nothing would have helped. Had 1 class last fall and graduated in 7 semesters. Didn't overload classes and would have loved to have played year round.
Now getting her masters paid for and playing 2 more years.

Without a doubt she is in support of year round 1 game per week.

As far as ideas I just gave you a bunch in the previous post and I have heard no comment from you. You quote the big soccer post and as Outside pointed out that is outdated and the surveys were with incomplete details. As posted before this pretty much sums the current state and support https://www.21stcenturymodel.org/more-data with knowledgeable support from all areas of the college game. Please discuss your alternate point of views to all the items discussed in the data. From the perspective of physio, periodization, time management, student athlete well being, scholastics I don't think any of it can be refuted.

You say the bigssoccer thread is outdated, but the most recent post there was yesterday.

Provide some facts to back this up please.

You didn't know already that it is a very limited season? Here is the UC Davis Spring schedule - 7 games over 5 dates, sometimes 2 games a day with the opponents playing each other in between.

A few years back UCD played Cal at a community college field in Pleasanton.

You didn't know already that it is a very limited season? Here is the UC Davis Spring schedule - 7 games over 5 dates, sometimes 2 games a day with the opponents playing each other in between.

A few years back UCD played Cal at a community college field in Pleasanton.

Of course I know it is a short season! My dd plays! And just because you say UCD played a game at a community college field doesn't mean that field issues are a problem that would prevent this plan from working. The facts I wanted were actual schedules at alternate fields because the primary field was not available since you were implying that field space is an issue.

Shouldn't we really be focusing on taking off the dumb limits on men's and women's soccer scholarships? Although incredibly popular, women's soccer and volleyball are afforded fewer scholarships than women's ice hockey, rowing (that's not a typo), and track and field. Unless I read it on the NCAA website, I wouldn't have believed that women's rugby gets 12 scholarships (the same as volleyball). And, of course, the men's side would also benefit without the cap. Schools without football programs could become soccer powerhouses and hopefully lift the overall level of the men's game by providing more post-high school opportunities to play.

Of course I know it is a short season! My dd plays! And just because you say UCD played a game at a community college field doesn't mean that field issues are a problem that would prevent this plan from working. The facts I wanted were actual schedules at alternate fields because the primary field was not available since you were implying that field space is an issue.

What did I get wrong?

Agree. Soccer should have 17 (ish) full rides and everyone either on a full or walk on.
Also change to year long model.
Also you can’t make the NCAA’s if you aren’t at least .500 in conference.

as long as we are putting out our wish list.

Agree. Soccer should have 17 (ish) full rides and everyone either on a full or walk on.
Also change to year long model.
Also you can’t make the NCAA’s if you aren’t at least .500 in conference.

as long as we are putting out our wish list.
IF they go to a year long season, they should also limit substitutions to be more like the international game. I would be in favor of just adopting FIFA laws across the board.

IF they go to a year long season, they should also limit substitutions to be more like the international game. I would be in favor of just adopting FIFA laws across the board.
Yeah something like limiting bench to 18 players, play a doubleheader first game for record second a training game. Players from first game can only play if they played less than XXX minutes. This way everyone on the team plays on that day, parents get to see their kid play, and the team recovers the following week all on the same schedule.

Yes, but having a roster of 35 with those rules is tough. Let's get these rosters down to 24 and then 18 suit up with 18 scholarships and switch to fifa for Power 5 only. Have regulation D1 for those looking to knock out a power 5 team that's only in there because of football. A school like CBU could join a power 5 just for girls soccer for one year because they won and beat Goliath. Just a thought I had to fix some of this. All the other conferences can keep the same rules or change them to fifa.

I really like the idea of eliminating double headers and delaying all games until a month after classes start.

Using FIFA substitutions is a bad idea. The limit on subs gives coaches a reason to keep injured players in the game- and risk worse injury. I don't want to see someone's son or daughter get permanent brain damage so we can find out whether USC is better than UCLA this year.

( Yes, I know that, in theory, coaches remove all players who are suspected of a concussion. I've also seen far too many FIFA players wobbling on the sideline, but still in the game, after a big hit. The rule isn't enforced. )

I really like the idea of eliminating double headers and delaying all games until a month after classes start.

Using FIFA substitutions is a bad idea. The limit on subs gives coaches a reason to keep injured players in the game- and risk worse injury. I don't want to see someone's son or daughter get permanent brain damage so we can find out whether USC is better than UCLA this year.

( Yes, I know that, in theory, coaches remove all players who are suspected of a concussion. I've also seen far too many FIFA players wobbling on the sideline, but still in the game, after a big hit. The rule isn't enforced. )
Good point. Do you have any ideas on how to eliminate the massive substitutions teams like UNC do? The near unlimited substitutions warp the game. Maybe limited rosters? Maybe limit the subs to 6?

I think going to a head count sport (like 17 full scholys and you can only be on a full or walk on) would distribute talent to more schools. That might trickle down to impact unc playing 25 people each game. Roster spots 18-25 might go elsewhere for a full ride

I also think limiting subs helps the game. And if the season is year long you will have more kids healthier and one injury isn’t season altering. That might encourage actual soccer and not teams who just wreck the game (not just unc with the press but Arizona, Arkansas, Baylor and others who just bang it forward, create chaos and foul) as that style works in a short season where it’s easy to implement with little development and hard to defend with a rapid slate of games coming at you.

well a person can dream right?

Good point. Do you have any ideas on how to eliminate the massive substitutions teams like UNC do? The near unlimited substitutions warp the game. Maybe limited rosters? Maybe limit the subs to 6?

If you really like the endurance element, limit the total number of players. Sub all you want, but only 15 players can participate per match.

Limiting the season roster is weird once you consider injuries. Better just to limit the game roster.

If you really like the endurance element, limit the total number of players. Sub all you want, but only 15 players can participate per match.

Limiting the season roster is weird once you consider injuries. Better just to limit the game roster.

Then the game will be as crappy and slow as American football. Nor does that resolve the endurance problem. Rotating girls in and out provides recovery time that leads to press and kickball soccer. NC has perfected it; it's ugly and ruins the game. And there is no evidence that coaches take out kids more for injuries when they have unlimited substitutions - none.

Back