2019 Women's D1 Soccer Talk!!!!

She went with Sanchez to Washington Spirit. Sophia Smith left school early and was the number one pick.
I thought Smith left because there was some sort of guarantee with the USWNT. That was not the case as she didn’t make the roster. I don’t really understand the urge for her to leave Stanford, who in my opinion is as good, if not better of a playground than half of the NWSL teams. Mallory Pugh, who to me is a similar player to Smith was also dropped from the roster. It clearly has not worked out for Pugh to skip college. You can only make so much money from endorsements if you’re not a part of the USWNT. Women’s pro game is getting better for certain, but not good enough yet to leave what those two left behind in my opinion.

she’s not been named to the Olympic qualifying roster but maybe she’s been given assurances of making the Olympic team. If so, she gets access to the bonus money that she would not have as a college student. Like tierna. More surprising to me is Sanchez’s decision
If you didn’t make this roster, you’re not making the Olympic roster. 28 to 20 for qualifying. 20 to 18 for the main event.

Two that won’t make the 18 will be alternate. Again, her playing with the USWNT this summer is close to none unless some awful amount of injuries happen as you suggested. I’d think her focus is now on U20s

I don’t disagree because I just don’t know but then what’s the point with the Alex Morgan discussion about coming back for the Olympics after she has her baby? She’s clearly not participating in qualifying, and was never going to be, so why would she have mentioned hoping to come back in time to play?

I thought Smith left because there was some sort of guarantee with the USWNT. That was not the case as she didn’t make the roster. I don’t really understand the urge for her to leave Stanford, who in my opinion is as good, if not better of a playground than half of the NWSL teams. Mallory Pugh, who to me is a similar player to Smith was also dropped from the roster. It clearly has not worked out for Pugh to skip college. You can only make so much money from endorsements if you’re not a part of the USWNT. Women’s pro game is getting better for certain, but not good enough yet to leave what those two left behind in my opinion.

If I'm not mistaken, this is only the pre-qualifying roster. Another roster change will be made for the olympics. Stanford is a great place and Radcliff has built a powerhouse program that's getting better every year. I wonder if this is the new trend...leaving school early for peanuts. No roster spot is guaranteed and if you don't make the NT, then it's washing dishes before games to help pay for a living.

I agree @dk_b about Sanchez...big head scratcher!

I don’t disagree because I just don’t know but then what’s the point with the Alex Morgan discussion about coming back for the Olympics after she has her baby? She’s clearly not participating in qualifying, and was never going to be, so why would she have mentioned hoping to come back in time to play?
Anything can happen of course. Morgan is not available and if she is fit to play by then maybe she will. Smith is available to play now. If he thinks she is someone he wants to take this summer, why leave her behind now? It doesn’t help her and the gap will only get bigger with 20 he is taking now. He should bring more players for the She Believes Cup so we’ll see if she will make that roster

She could always finish her degree later? Take the money and run if you can.
Not at Stanford. My understanding from talking to my DD is that if you do not finish 50% toward your degree and leave, you will have to reapply to get in and pay on your own. She can always get a degree elsewhere too so maybe it’s not all that important to her.
I know I’m old, and I realize getting a 4 year degree isn’t nearly as important as it used to be.

There is less money to be made than you can make with a degree unless you are part of the National Team. I can understand going pro after the college degree but giving up that degree without making the extra National money does not make sense. By the way that roster has 10 women over 30 and the youngest is 24. The average age is just shy of 30. It is about time that these older players be retired from National play. I know they want to keep making money but we stand a real good chance of our younger talent skipping the pro path in order to earn a living.

There is less money to be made than you can make with a degree unless you are part of the National Team. I can understand going pro after the college degree but giving up that degree without making the extra National money does not make sense. By the way that roster has 10 women over 30 and the youngest is 24. The average age is just shy of 30. It is about time that these older players be retired from National play. I know they want to keep making money but we stand a real good chance of our younger talent skipping the pro path in order to earn a living.
Could she continue as a Student without playing for them?

Back