2007 D.A or Ecnl

J0g0_B0nit0

SILVER ELITE
Hello guys was wondering if you guys can give me some insight and suggestions.
My daughter will be playing finally in her proper age group next year with college in mind of the future which do you recommend and anything in kr surrounding San Fernando Valley ?

Hello guys was wondering if you guys can give me some insight and suggestions.
My daughter will be playing finally in her proper age group next year with college in mind of the future which do you recommend and anything in kr surrounding San Fernando Valley ?
Find the right Coach and go with him or her regardless of the league.

To echo Kicker, is there a coach at an ECNL or DA club that you like better than your current coach? I would also ask whether the current training environment will continue to challenge her by having her practicing with players at a similar or better talent level. There are lots of opinions on whether DA or ECNL provide a better pathway to college, but the real answer to this question is still probably a matter of opinion vs. any meaningful data (you could probably construct data to support either position). Also DA mandates 4 days per week of training, but as others have pointed out, the definition of "training" is largely left up to the club's discretion. For 2006s, my opinion is that there are good teams playing in both ECNL and DA, but that DA has more of the top teams (5-6) than ECNL does (1-2) at the present time.

To echo Kicker, is there a coach at an ECNL or DA club that you like better than your current coach? I would also ask whether the current training environment will continue to challenge her by having her practicing with players at a similar or better talent level. There are lots of opinions on whether DA or ECNL provide a better pathway to college, but the real answer to this question is still probably a matter of opinion vs. any meaningful data (you could probably construct data to support either position). Also DA mandates 4 days per week of training, but as others have pointed out, the definition of "training" is largely left up to the club's discretion. For 2006s, my opinion is that there are good teams playing in both ECNL and DA, but that DA has more of the top teams (5-6) than ECNL does (1-2) at the present time.
They should also consider which DA/ECNL clubs are in their area and then take into account the coaches. As stated they reside in the SFV. The immediate choice is Real So Cal which is DA. Traveling further north would be Eagles (ECNL) and east is LA Surf (LA Canada/San Marino), or they could venture to Breakers to the south.

They should also consider which DA/ECNL clubs are in their area and then take into account the coaches. As stated they reside in the SFV. The immediate choice is Real So Cal which is DA. Traveling further north would be Eagles (ECNL) and east is LA Surf (LA Canada/San Marino), or they could venture to Breakers to the south.
Thank you for the info

Good post with just one caveat that I bolded........I agree with you that's true for the 2006s but it very definitely varies by age group. For the age group in question, 2007, if we take the top 10 2007 teams in SoCal (via YSR which is pretty darn accurate as it collates ALL official results a team has had) the split is 6 in DA (DPL for 2007 age group) and 4 in ECNL so more balanced than 2006. Also ECNL has the strong Heat 2007 team which would make it 6 DA 5 ECNL given the out of state 07 DA teams are currently comparatively weak.

Reactions: sdb

Good point...... Look into the DPL results for Real and LA Surf and do the same for the two ECNL clubs so you get an idea how all four stack up playing against top opposition. Then do your due diligence on the coaches (style of play, history of development...ask around (fellow parents) for attitude concerns I learned to do a while back and it can be illuminating! :)

Good post with just one caveat that I bolded........I agree with you that's true for the 2006s but it very definitely varies by age group. For the age group in question, 2007, if we take the top 10 2007 teams in SoCal (via YSR which is pretty darn accurate as it collates ALL official results a team has had) the split is 6 in DA (DPL for 2007 age group) and 4 in ECNL so more balanced than 2006. Also ECNL has the strong Heat 2007 team which would make it 6 DA 5 ECNL given the out of state 07 DA teams are currently comparatively weak.
Just remember Blues when DA comes into play has moved their best team into that league.

Just remember Blues when DA comes into play has moved their best team into that league.

Good point but not accurate when it's Greg Baker involved.....so I'd wager big that the top Blues 2007s will stay ECNL like his 16s and 18s

Makes Blues unique as there top teams are split with Baker having 3 teams

Good point but not accurate when it's Greg Baker involved.....so I'd wager big that the top Blues 2007s will stay ECNL like his 16s and 18s

Let's wait and see what happens next year.

I appreciate the bolding, I have a G06 dd so most familiar with this age group. I should have been clearer that the same may not apply to the 07s.

Yeah, but Baker is coaching that 07 team, so I think they might stay ECNL? I have no knowledge, just speculating.

Edit: I just saw the earlier reply that said the same thing :D

A few thoughts...

1. The age change affect. U14 used to be high school freshman I think? Now eighth graders. It makes a difference for college recruiting because...

2. The new rule that coaches can't contact kids until summer after 10th grade. ECNL starts at U13 (7th grade). So they'd play 4 years in ECNL and 3 years in DA before they'd be made an offer. Under the old rules I saw eighth graders getting offers (yuck), and tons of girls that showed up on the USYNT U14 list got offers also.

3. If you choose not to join an ECNL or DA team at the younger ages it might be more difficult to crack the lineup as they get older. "Your player is good, but I already have a girl that's the same level and she's been with us for three years (translation: she's a known quantity with parents I can tolerate)"

I'll take that bet and say that top Blues 07 team goes DA next year. The 16's/18's was a different situation where they grew up without DA and most were already playing high school.

given the out of state 07 DA teams are currently comparatively weak.

I think that statement is a little premature and lacks understanding of how the AZ teams operate, esp. in the U13/U14 age groups.

RSL has 5 07s rostered on their 06DA team and 1 07 rostered on their 05DA team. The latter hangs and will likely remain, while its TBD how many, if any, of the 5 on the 06 team play on the 07s next season. RSL also has no top 07G team. It has a North & South team, which will likely form the nucleus of the DA team next year (poss. plus the 5) but they can also pull in players from Yuma & Tucson - which may not have talented teams, but do have talented players.

Del Sol have 3 07s on their 06DA team and 1 08 also. Again it depends how they decide to build their 07 team next year, but those would be starters obv. and would completely change their current 07 team.

There will be a lot of movement in AZ before DA starts for their 07s next year. Read nothing into their current teams. RSL, in particular, push their players in a lot of travel tournaments against a lot of diff competition to see which players can hang and which can't, e.g. both RSL 07G teams have already played Surf, Blues and were just up in Utah in the Desert Premier League - and played DPL this weekend (neither DPL team is the 07DA team next year).

played DPL this weekend (neither DPL team is the 07DA team next year).

Just to clarify that statement, RSL may play their North team, or their South, or a Mixed, or something else in DPL for their 07s this season. On one weekend in Nov I think, they actually have DPL games in CA & AZ on the day.

This weekend their N & S teams played each other Sat AM in the local league. There was a mixed team incl. 2 08s & 1 09 that played against Surf in the afternoon. That team had literally never played together before, were dominated but only lost 2-1.

On Sunday their North team (w/ 1 08 & 1 09) played LA Galaxy (& the RSL coaches experimented for half the game - losing 7 goals and played regularly for the other half, losing 1 goal).

Del Sol played both teams this weekend also, losing both 4-0.

If either RSL or Del Sol played their top 07s exclusively then the results would differ, albeit I would not expect them to beat either of the Surf or LAG teams, who are both super talented and play attractive soccer.

Back