Thread watched G2010 - How’s the 2023 season going?

TeamDadJokes

SILVER ELITE
With the end of the 2022-2023 season looming, tryouts are right around the corner. Lots of shake ups happening across the entire age group at every level. It’s going to be interesting to see who all is going to be trying out where and if there is going to be any fallout for putting your DD out there for second opinions.

Who do you think comes on top as early favorites in the southwest?

Do you see a potential for ECNL players to tryout other platforms in favor if less politics and drama and in favor of more playtime?

Will there be any coaching changes looming that haven’t already been announced?

Looking forward to seeing how things shake out over the next few months as players and parents jockey for position while simultaneously having to encounter playoffs through July…

If people are thinking about GA Fram, LA Surf, and West Coast are the top LA teams. In SD City and Albion are the top teams.

The right LA/Orange ECNL players could probabaly take over a team + make a National GA run.

Interesting to consider.

If people are thinking about GA Fram, LA Surf, and West Coast are the top LA teams. In SD City and Albion are the top teams.

The right LA/Orange ECNL players could probabaly take over a team + make a National GA run.

Interesting to consider.

Fullerton Rangers, Empire and Sand and Surf are new to the DPL pool. It’ll be interesting to see who the next GA team will be with the upcoming expansion. 3 new DPL teams to replace the realignment of the Arizona teams being moved out of the southwest bracket.

This could possibly be a draw to families who appreciate stating local rather than traveling 6-8 hours for a single league game.

Rumors have it Liverpool and SoCal Elite May get the next nod for the SoCal GA spots.

Something to consider now to go DPL in preparation to possibly being GA next year with the upcoming expansion to those teams.

With the end of the 2022-2023 season looming, tryouts are right around the corner. Lots of shake ups happening across the entire age group at every level. It’s going to be interesting to see who all is going to be trying out where and if there is going to be any fallout for putting your DD out there for second opinions.

Do you see a potential for ECNL players to tryout other platforms in favor if less politics and drama and in favor of more playtime?

Looking forward to seeing how things shake out over the next few months as players and parents jockey for position while simultaneously having to encounter playoffs through July…
This reminds me of 2016 when they changed from school age year to calendar year. All the players at this age were released from the pin and it was a free for all and I mean free for many players. Full rides was preached as the new way the GDA would make soccer affordable and amazing.

This reminds me of 2016 when they changed from school age year to calendar year. All the players at this age were released from the pin and it was a free for all and I mean free for many players. Full rides was preached as the new way the GDA would make soccer affordable and amazing.

I could be wrong but it feels like more ECNL clubs are offering free rides than GA. Funny how things change over time.

I could be wrong but it feels like more ECNL clubs are offering free rides than GA. Funny how things change over time.
The top clubs that called me and had me over for a chat in Socal all told me they were mandated to offer full rides to all the GDA players. That's how ECNL lost many of their players in socal. Plus, they got control of the YNT list that all the top players would have liked to make. I was sold if you don't go GDA, no list for your dd and no chance to be invited to the Training Center or the first ever U14 YNT Camp of 22 players (that never happened). That ended up not being financially possible so they got some of the richer parents to pay and guaranteed them 25% starts for those parents (Pay for play). Tad told me straight up that Blues can't offer full rides but said it was 100% mandated if you want to have a GDA program. Most clubs had this idea that they would create more teams and more leagues to have those parents fund their operation and that's what they did. Now it looks like the top ECNL teams are fully funded programs.

Last edited:

I think Surf is still the favorite. Wildcards are how well the coaching transition goes and any LA/OC dream team effort.

Always a potential for roster movement for the reasons mentioned, though this particular age group seems to be more volatile than others, across platforms and levels of play.

Interesting to consider.

Seems like it's City and Fram, then everyone else. That table looks a lot less competitve without Fram's forfeits.

That's not to take anything way from Albion, appears they have gotten some positive results lately. Wondering if that's due to things clicking, the roster additions are contributing or both. Will be interesting to see how they do against City in a couple weeks.

I think Surf is still the favorite. Wildcards are how well the coaching transition goes and any LA/OC dream team effort.

Always a potential for roster movement for the reasons mentioned, though this particular age group seems to be more volatile than others, across platforms and levels of play.

Seems like it's City and Fram, then everyone else. That table looks a lot less competitve without Fram's forfeits.

That's not to take anything way from Albion, appears they have gotten some positive results lately. Wondering if that's due to things clicking, the roster additions are contributing or both. Will be interesting to see how they do against City in a couple weeks.
I heard that Frams forfeits occurred because they had a player or players that were dual rostered GA and ECNL + playing games for both on the same day. Apparently being dual rostered GA and ECNL isnt an issue but playing for both on the same day is.

I also heard that local GA clubs knew that Fram had dual rostered players + didnt care or had chosen not to take action. However an ECNL club found out + ran to GA leadership and informed them. Once notified GA took action via the forfeits. I dont believe ECNL has done the same with the club that Fram players were rostered on. Ironic how things played out.

This is all rumor so if someone has first hand info please provide it.

I heard that Frams forfeits occurred because they had a player or players that were dual rostered GA and ECNL + playing games for both on the same day. Apparently being dual rostered GA and ECNL isnt an issue but playing for both on the same day is.

I also heard that local GA clubs knew that Fram had dual rostered players + didnt care or had chosen not to take action. However an ECNL club found out + ran to GA leadership and informed them. Once notified GA took action via the forfeits. I dont believe ECNL has done the same with the club that Fram players were rostered on. Ironic how things played out.

This is all rumor so if someone has first hand info please provide it.

I was told by a parent on the roster that FRAM is mostly made up of dual rostered ECNL players and the forfeits were due to lack of players being available for those matches due to game conflicts.

I know that LA Surf also had a few dual rostered player which wasn’t an issue until there was a game conflict with battle of the southwest and the LA Surf matches. One parent chose the ECNL over the GA team. There’s been reports of multiple players in various age groups at LA Surf that are also dual rostered in ECNL too.

I’m sure you’ll be able to see when those players were added based on the game results.

I suspect this is likely the case with many teams where the governing bodies aren’t the same.

I was told by a parent on the roster that FRAM is mostly made up of dual rostered ECNL players and the forfeits were due to lack of players being available for those matches due to game conflicts.

I know that LA Surf also had a few dual rostered player which wasn’t an issue until there was a game conflict with battle of the southwest and the LA Surf matches. One parent chose the ECNL over the GA team. There’s been reports of multiple players in various age groups at LA Surf that are also dual rostered in ECNL too.

I’m sure you’ll be able to see when those players were added based on the game results.

I suspect this is likely the case with many teams where the governing bodies aren’t the same.
Interesting, that makes a lot more sense. Looking at Frams record each forfeit is marked by 0-3 to the opponent which is likely the GA forfeit protocol.

It seemed odd to me that GA would only care about dual rostering if players played 2x games per day. It also seemed odd that ECNL + GA leadership would spend the time reviewing if players are dual rostered.

If anything leagues just wouldnt allow dual rostering. Going through all the extra steps would be a waste of time.

Sounds like the LA area GA teams are being proped up by ECNL players that are prioritizing ECNL over GA. I guess these clubs decided that thier DPL players are not capable of being developed into GA players. If I was a DPL player at one of these clubs I would be very sceptical of anything they say about building players. Time to go, they are obviously not interested in moving your players up or challenging them. Win-Lose records over everything else.

Interesting, that makes a lot more sense. Looking at Frams record each forfeit is marked by 0-3 to the opponent which is likely the GA forfeit protocol.

It seemed odd to me that GA would only care about dual rostering if players played 2x games per day. It also seemed odd that ECNL + GA leadership would spend the time reviewing if players are dual rostered.

If anything leagues just wouldnt allow dual rostering. Going through all the extra steps would be a waste of time.

Looking at the GA rules, they only specifically disallow players from playing in two GA games for different teams in a day.

However, the GA rules around player status are probably what's in play:

5.b. Player status:
i. Primary/P:
a. Player from your club on a GA team who only participates in the GA.
b. A minimum of 10 Primary (P) players per roster.
ii. Secondary/S:
a. Part time/development player within your club, but not on
a GA team as a P.
b. Part time/development player from another club.
i. A written formal agreement signed by both clubs then emailed with both clubs copied to the GA Director of Operations prior to being added to the roster.
ii. ii. Player must participate in one day a week inperson training at the GA club main facility (not satellite). i.e. Zoom is not in-person training.

Basically, all of the ECNL dual rostered players needed to be shown as "Secondary" players. But here's the kicker:

d. After 14 games, all GA competitions including league and event matches, the player moves to a P player in the GA or returns to original club
e. Forfeit and fine of $500 if not followed

My guess is they ran afoul of the registration rules.

I have no idea if any of the scenarios above mentioned are true. If they were, some of the questions I'd be asking are:

1) How were the ECNL players registered?
2) Did the ECNL clubs give written permission?
3) Was the GA DirOps notified?
4) Did the players participate in at least one in-person training per week?
5) At 14 matches were the players moved from secondary to primary status?

IF this happened, GA needs to put their foot down. There's a multitude of reasons why this is a bad look and should not be allowed.

Sounds like the LA area GA teams are being proped up by ECNL players that are prioritizing ECNL over GA. I guess these clubs decided that thier DPL players are not capable of being developed into GA players. If I was a DPL player at one of these clubs I would be very sceptical of anything they say about building players. Time to go, they are obviously not interested in moving your players up or challenging them. Win-Lose records over everything else.

This.

Depends on which ECNL player. Not every ECNL player gets a lot of ECNL minutes. Some of the ECNL teams carry 22-23 players. If you're a lower level player at a team with a large roster, you might want a GA slot just to get game minutes.

I agree with this 100%

But why wouldnt you also dual roster DPL players to make sure teams get fielded when dual rostered ECNL players cant attend?

Maybe both couldn't play on the forfeit weekends/games?

Depends on which ECNL player. Not every ECNL player gets a lot of ECNL minutes. Some of the ECNL teams carry 22-23 players. If you're a lower level player at a team with a large roster, you might want a GA slot just to get game minutes.

I think that's valid. Though it seems like that should be part of the purpose of having an RL team, but I guess that becomes an issue when certain clubs over-stuff their RL rosters and lower roster position RL players have nowhere to go since they're locked out of SoCal... which may be what's driving some of the NPL becoming "RL2" conversations.

I agree with this 100%

But why wouldnt you also dual roster DPL players to make sure teams get fielded when dual rostered ECNL players cant attend?

Maybe both couldn't play on the forfeit weekends/games?

I think as it stands right now the same roster rules apply to DPL players as ECNL players since DPL is technically a stand alone platform (even though it's the de facto GA second tier). A specific carve out for within club DPL players should be created, similar to their remote/affiliate club player rules.

I assume the majority of ECNL Discovery Players are coming from GA teams? You can make the same argument for RL players...how often are ECNL teams bringing up RL players during the middle of a season? Why not bring in a Discovery Player from a GA team instead of building a player from within and bringing up a RL player? I guess these clubs decided that their RL players are not capable of being developed into NL players.

ECNL clubs cant bring on ECNL players from other clubs mid season without the other teams written approval. Without approval thell have to wait until the end of the season.

ECNL clubs can bring up their own RL players at any time. RL players from other clubs would require written approval from the other club or youd have to wait until the end of the season.

ECNL can bring on a limited number of "Discovery" players from other (not ECNL) clubs. Typically this would be GA but it could be NPL Socal DPL or whatever. The advantage of a Discovery player is you can bring them on whenever + you dont need approval from the club they're currently playing for.

As you can see ECNL is setup to prioritize acquiring new players from within (the clubs ECRL team) or from a different league as a Discovery player.

Unfortunately the reality is that ECNL coaches and clubs know that if they take players from GA NPL etc as Discovery they're also admitting that a league other than ECNL is better in some way. This is why you're seeing ECNL teams all trying to steal players from each other vs bring in new. This is what happens when theres $$$ involved vs just doing something nice for the kids.

An ECNL team can only have 2 Discovery Players per team (exception is U18). It can be a player from the GA or any other league and can even include other ECRL club teams. As stated above, ECRL players from your own club are not included in this and can be brought up at any time as long as they follow the one ECNL competition per day rule.

An ECNL Registered Player cannot play for a different club in any competition during the ECNL season.

Back