Surf Cup – 04s (8/6 – 8/8) – Tech Specs

Question?

Does the tournament change anyones minds about the teams playing in CRL? Are there any teams that move up or down within you personal ranking of CRL Teams?

Question?

Does the tournament change anyones minds about the teams playing in CRL? Are there any teams that move up or down within you personal ranking of CRL Teams?
Obvious choice is Arsenal, who looked extremely competitive once again at this age group. CRL league is still very young and I see them moving up the standings in no time if they field the same roster that they did at Surf Cup.

Galaxy SB is currently at the top of the table and will frustrate a lot of teams but unless they start scoring more, I think they'll slide somewhere near the middle of the table.

Great experience for our girls and great perspective for them to work and develop over the year to prepare for our next SoCal trip, with only having a month together under our belt as a team (we signed 7/1) it was a great bonding experience for them.

Was good to meet some of the SoCal parents too. I got a chance to talk to several from several clubs. I unfortunately couldn't find Tech. Sorry sir!

Even my son got to work as a Referee both Saturday and Sunday which was a great experience for him.

Hopefully we will see a few SoCal teams in North Texas events. Dallas International Girls Cup, Premier Supercopa or one of the Jr ECNL events in Texas region or the Jr ECNL event in SC in May.

Great experience for our girls and great perspective for them to work and develop over the year to prepare for our next SoCal trip, with only having a month together under our belt as a team (we signed 7/1) it was a great bonding experience for them.

Was good to meet some of the SoCal parents too. I got a chance to talk to several from several clubs. I unfortunately couldn't find Tech. Sorry sir!

Even my son got to work as a Referee both Saturday and Sunday which was a great experience for him.

Hopefully we will see a few SoCal teams in North Texas events. Dallas International Girls Cup, Premier Supercopa or one of the Jr ECNL events in Texas region or the Jr ECNL event in SC in May.
I saw your girls playing a bit on the first day. It was great to watch and I was very impressed with their skill. I'd love for our De Anza team to get to Texas for a tournament or two - as long as it's October through April ;-). Thanks for coming to California and Surf Cup and helping to make it the amazing showcase of talent that it is.

Obvious choice is Arsenal, who looked extremely competitive once again at this age group. CRL league is still very young and I see them moving up the standings in no time if they field the same roster that they did at Surf Cup.

Galaxy SB is currently at the top of the table and will frustrate a lot of teams but unless they start scoring more, I think they'll slide somewhere near the middle of the table.

Another obvious choice to move up is Galaxy SD. They will shoot up the rankings when it is all said and done.

SO CAL REAL
- A team with good potential, they are a fast and aggressive team with a really good defense, but had no real offensive push, they did not score in group play, ... I think they would drop in the rankings - possibly a Middle of the Pack team in CRL?

BLUES - Dido
- This to me was a Big surprise, Big Club with a Big name that typically does well. Blues appears to be in the rebuilding phase with this team, although this team showed moments of brilliance - but I don't see them making a real push in CRL, they will be challenged this year in CRL

STRIKERS or SlAMMERS
-These teams looked good from a Distance but I did not take a close look - any thoughts?

SO CAL REAL
- A team with good potential, they are a fast and aggressive team with a really good defense, but had no real offensive push, they did not score in group play, ... I think they would drop in the rankings - possibly a Middle of the Pack team in CRL?

BLUES - Dido
- This to me was a Big surprise, Big Club with a Big name that typically does well. Blues appears to be in the rebuilding phase with this team, although this team showed moments of brilliance - but I don't see them making a real push in CRL, they will be challenged this year in CRL

STRIKERS or SlAMMERS
-These teams looked good from a Distance but I did not take a close look - any thoughts?
Best SoCal showing last weekend were (close to this order - ) Arsenal, Surf 1, SD Galaxy, Slammers and Strikers -- Slammers and Strikers do not play CRL.

SO CAL REAL

BLUES - Dido

STRIKERS or SlAMMERS
Real So Cal tends to score by combining runs as a team, they don't rely on playing a lone striker and sending her through. This will benefit them in the long run because despite them not scoring, when they're game is on they can have multiple scoring threats with their attack.

Blues - Dido, is rebuilding no doubt. They should be competitive at moments but it may be some time before they're towards the top again.

Strikers is going to be a team that frustrates others. They don't give up much and have a very simple formula that they stick to.

CDA Slammers is a legit top 5 team. They're solid defensively and are one of the better teams that will attack up the middle with strong CM play.

Cool - Out of curiosity any thoughts on why the OC teams dont Participate in CRL ?
All comes down to the coaches more so than the club. CRL schedule commits you to a league schedule and the travel that comes along with it. Some coaches prefer to schedule tournaments instead and control their own schedule / travel a bit more.

This was a great experience for our girls and their families. We saw a lot of different styles and a lot of great soccer over the 3 days. Every game was a battle, and every team we played was impressive. We expected to do well, but I'm not sure anyone on our side expected us to run that gauntlet and win it all. We were all just happy that the girls were able to make it to Monday so that our 3 day parking pass wasn't wasted. The rest was icing on the cake.

That said, what are you guys feeding your girls in SoCal and Texas? :) Our girls need some of whatever you're feeding them. We don't ever see that kind of size, speed and athleticism. It took a while for our girls to adjust to the pure physicality that all these teams brought. I think one key for us was that we came in 2nd place in our group. After the 3rd game, our teams's legs were dead and that extra hour and a half of rest really helped our girls in that very physical quarterfinal against those thoroughbreds from Arsenal.

Good luck to all for the rest of the season!

Last edited:
How about Beach FC... Anyone have any thoughts? ... but I did not get a chance to see this team play
Only saw them against Slammers and were "okay" - but Slammers can do that to teams.
This was a great experience for our girls and their families. We saw a lot different styles and a lot of great soccer over the 3 days. Every game was a battle, and every team we played was impressive. We expected to do well, but I'm not sure anyone on our side expected us to run that gauntlet and win it all. We were all just happy that the girls were able to make be able to play Monday so that our 3 day parking pass wasn't wasted. The rest was icing on the cake.

That said, what are you guys feeding your girls in SoCal and Texas? :) Our girls need some of whatever you're feeding them. We don't ever see that kind of size, speed and athleticism. It took a while for our girls to adjust to the pure physicality that all these teams brought. I think one key for us was that we came in 2nd place in our group. After the 3rd game, our teams's legs were dead and that extra hour and a half of rest really helped our girls in that very physical quarterfinal against those thoroughbreds from Arsenal.

Good luck to all for the rest of the season!
Picked you guys to win Surf Cup - great combination of many skills. Only a few tournaments are stacked to this degree - maybe Vegas and our State Cup. There is a small degree of separation between top 8 teams of this group. First time we have seen Arsenal with their top 04's playing their age. If they make that PK at near end of your game they probably win Surf Cup. Great to see your team - the style of play your coach has you playing is refreshing to see. Good Luck up North with Placer and DeAnza.

MVLA - was indeed the best team in the Tourney - I saw that game with Arsenal - two different styles battling it out (Heavy Weight Bout) - MVLA showed that Tiki Taka and possession game can indeed work at this age group.

Great Tourney by all - very impressed by the teams and players - the 04 class seems to be a strong class - look forward to the next few years

Give it up for the Cali Teams

Picked you guys to win Surf Cup - great combination of many skills. Only a few tournaments are stacked to this degree - maybe Vegas and our State Cup. There is a small degree of separation between top 8 teams of this group. First time we have seen Arsenal with their top 04's playing their age. If they make that PK at near end of your game they probably win Surf Cup. Great to see your team - the style of play your coach has you playing is refreshing to see. Good Luck up North with Placer and DeAnza.
Thanks! We're in another tournament this weekend with DeAnza. If we both make it that far, we are scheduled to meet them again in a semifinal match on Sunday. This matchup is always fun to watch. Two very technical teams going at it.

Back