SCDSL Flight 1 applications

No, haven't seen or heard about that in SCDSL. My kids played in the league first 3 years but have moved on .

You can club pass but not on the same day. Seen Saturday/Sunday passes either way or passing when a team has a bye or off week.

Playing for different teams the same day would be likely noticed either by the kids who play (know each other) or the roster review so I doubt you will see that unless some coaches want to risk suspensions & forfeits.

Ok, thanks. It was suggested by a coach in a conversation I'd heard that "the other coaches do this" (and of course there are instances when some kids have bye weeks that they get club passed to other teams) but it struck me that this (2+ games in one day for diff. teams) likely was not true.

What I was seeing happen was players passed down to "get playing time" for a game, but that would push the lower team's players onto the bench that week. Or at least once where a coach really wanted to "help" the lower flight team, he'd pass down several of the best players -- who then played the whole game while the team's regular kids watched. Probably not how the player passes are supposed to work.

Last edited:
....... it struck me that this (2+ games in one day for diff. teams) likely was not true.

What I was seeing happen was players passed down to "get playing time" for a game, but that would push the lower team's players onto the bench that week. Or at least once where a coach really wanted to "help" the lower flight team, he'd pass down several of the best players -- who then played the whole game while the team's regular kids watched. Probably not how the player passes are supposed to work.

There is a SCDSL rule that prohibits any player playing for more than one team/day. Is the rule ever broken, I don't know but strange things have know to happen time to time.

As for player playing down a level and starting. It happens all the time. Not just players that don't get minutes on their team, looking for additional field time. I have seen Flight 1 starters play on Flight 3 team to secure table position during league play. I've also seem bottom flight 1 players on a team refusing to play down, when offered to gain field time. But, vast majority of the time, its because the team is short of players and the coach goes to upper tier team for help, rather than peer or lower tier team (some clubs only have one in each age group). Other example that often happens is a kid playing up a year and doesn't play as much so the player often guests own age and starts.

Playing time is strictly performance based, especially as they get older. Its really parents job to match the player's level and the team's level. DOCs will simply take the money for team that makes parents happen and let the kid flounder on a high level team. Just make sure that the player is in the top half of the team's level, and not the bottom half....

I know the league is supposed to be for development and often winning is treated like a sin because the coach played better players in the game over "less developed". The truth of the matter is that players that cannot make the right decisions, plays, and turns the ball over is not ready for the speed of plays and pressure at the level. It does nothing to continue with those players in that situation. Often it leads to undermine the development and results in the player liking soccer less and less.

Learning what it takes to win is a very important part of the development, and often is not discussed because its not skills and techniques. The mental and soccer IQ part of the game is often ignored in the "development" discussion. This include putting the individual effort - mentally and physically - to break into the starting 11 on the team.

Ok, thanks. It was suggested by a coach in a conversation I'd heard that "the other coaches do this" (and of course there are instances when some kids have bye weeks that they get club passed to other teams) but it struck me that this (2+ games in one day for diff. teams) likely was not true.

It is allowed for Goalkeepers only to play 2 games on a same day in SCDSL. It is NOT allowed for any other player.

Our coach doesnt always start the same 11 players. He avoids calling anyone a "starter" or a "bench" player. Being competitve and paying attention in practice will earn you a start in the next game. Fuels competition, keeps unity, and rewards hard work. We all know who the strongest 11 players are but he is tougher on them and if they don't give the effort, he is not afraid to make changes.

It is allowed for Goalkeepers only to play 2 games on a same day in SCDSL. It is NOT allowed for any other player.
The only player or position that can play two games in one day on two different teams for the same club is the keeper.

Too many flights made up of only a few clubs. Lots of inter-club play is a waste of hard earned cash! ...and doesn't benefit the players at all.
SCDSL is becoming just another league (if it hasn't already).
Uncontrolled growth and the lure of all that money has diluted its value in the So Cal scene.
Too bad...

Too many flights made up of only a few clubs. Lots of inter-club play is a waste of hard earned cash! ...and doesn't benefit the players at all.
SCDSL is becoming just another league (if it hasn't already).
Uncontrolled growth and the lure of all that money has diluted its value in the So Cal scene.
Too bad...[/QUOTE

So what if the club is the same name. Different players, different levels. If they all had different names that would make a difference? Why?

So what if the club is the same name. Different players, different levels. If they all had different names that would make a difference? Why?

Because you're paying $80+!referee fees, whatever amount league fees, and whatever home field fees to play a team you could scrimmage for free at any time. Granted, there's no promotion or relegation, so the record doesn't really matter.

Because you're paying $80+!referee fees, whatever amount league fees, and whatever home field fees to play a team you could scrimmage for free at any time. Granted, there's no promotion or relegation, so the record doesn't really matter.

Think we're talking about 2 different things here. I'm referring to name only and I think you're referring to the same club that has multiple teams within an age group playing in the same flight correct? As an example my son's flight has 3 other Arsenal teams within the group but all are from different regions.

Think we're talking about 2 different things here. I'm referring to name only and I think you're referring to the same club that has multiple teams within an age group playing in the same flight correct? As an example my son's flight has 3 other Arsenal teams within the group but all are from different regions.
Yes, I was thinking that. I see a couple scenarios where this is the case.

There really could be seperate leagues for some teams with the same name. And then every few weeks, have inter-club play.
Strikers (there's at least 6 different clubs that fly a strikers flag)
Slammers (original, CDA and South)
Surf (San Diego, San Clemente, I.E., more?)
Galaxy (southbay, LA, San Diego. Why isn't there an OC Galaxy yet?)
Pats (at least 6 different groups)

I'm sure if someone could figure out if there's money to be made, it would happen.

Back