Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

This post, of course is from our family values.
If kid is trying really hard and doing the best they can and barely getting Cs - that that soccer time back and get them to high C/Bs.
If they are on the YWNT and getting C's, any success in the final end game, is going to be difficult.

Other than those two (so kid is pretty good ECNL bench and C/B student) I can't imagine a setting soccer would not help.
-Use it to get in and make your kid as likely for entrance as an B/C student.
-Use it to get money
-Use it to keep you kid in a controlled setting their 1st year

Still, always select a school where they want to be without soccer, as most - esp at the power 5 - will not be playing after a few years (Notre Dame had 1 senior on the team DD's 1st year.).

MAP believes that unless your kid is a Power5 conference commit (and takes calculus in HS) with an athletic scholarship she is as worthless as a dung pile. She also believes if your DD is uncommitted as a freshman you are a failure as a parent and should have your DD quit playing soccer.

Nope. I just believe that you are a piece of crap and you better hope that the apple is picked off the tree and planted in another state because tools like you are one of the big reasons Arizona sucks.

Trying to get MAP to understand anything other than your daughter is dumb and plays like a JUCO player and my daughter took calculus and is bettor than Pugh is imposible. It was a good try though Zoro.

Nope again. I will repeat. Whenever I quote you or your 3 other aliases I am simply pointing out that you are a piece of crap. Let's hope that your wife is a much better parent and much less of an A-hole.

This post, of course is from our family values.
If kid is trying really hard and doing the best they can and barely getting Cs - that that soccer time back and get them to high C/Bs.
If they are on the YWNT and getting C's, any success in the final end game, is going to be difficult.

Other than those two (so kid is pretty good ECNL bench and C/B student) I can't imagine a setting soccer would not help.
-Use it to get in and make your kid as likely for entrance as an B/C student.
-Use it to get money
-Use it to keep you kid in a controlled setting their 1st year

Still, always select a school where they want to be without soccer, as most - esp at the power 5 - will not be playing after a few years (Notre Dame had 1 senior on the team DD's 1st year.).

I think that you might be a little pessimistic about the power 5 conference schools Zoro. My players team only loses one or two players a year and it is playing time related 99% of the time. They have a 7 member senior class and from our interactions with the coaching staff they are clear to ALL of their recruits where they fit into the picture even the recruited walkons. One common thread among all of the recruits in her class is great grades and a rigorous course of study. Her incoming recruiting class has over a 3.9 average with every player taking an AP curriculum (other than the foreign players) and there is only one player player committed in any class that I wouldn't consider an exceptional student and soccer will get her in.

Glad to see you made it to the new forum you are very informative.

I think that you might be a little pessimistic about the power 5 conference schools Zoro........... One common thread among all of the recruits in her class is great grades and a rigorous course of study. Her incoming recruiting class has over a 3.9 average with every player taking an AP curriculum (other than the foreign players) and there is only one player player committed in any class that I wouldn't consider an exceptional student and soccer will get her in.

So I think this is the part that is really so cool......let's pick a sport.... for my dd-soccer, for others....basketball, softball, volleyball, football etc. .....schools like Stanford, duke, ucla, Virginia, ND, NW that have high academic standards AND yet are still perennial athletic powerhouse programs is amazing.

There you go again. My kid is the best, my kid's school is the best, my kids grades are the best, my kids upperclasswomen are the best, and I am the best while every other kid is dumb, their parents are dumb, where they live is dumb, and their opinions are dumb. You are a class act, MAP.

SHAME
SHAME
SHAME
SHAME
SHAME

I think that you might be a little pessimistic about the power 5 conference schools Zoro. My players team only loses one or two players a year and it is playing time related 99% of the time. They have a 7 member senior class and from our interactions with the coaching staff they are clear to ALL of their recruits where they fit into the picture even the recruited walkons. One common thread among all of the recruits in her class is great grades and a rigorous course of study. Her incoming recruiting class has over a 3.9 average with every player taking an AP curriculum (other than the foreign players) and there is only one player player committed in any class that I wouldn't consider an exceptional student and soccer will get her in.

Glad to see you made it to the new forum you are very informative.
I think you are right. Attrition rate seems to have gone down since I looked at the batch of schools around 2010.

I don't know what the power 5 conferences are. I just always looked at the schools that were top 100 is soccer (top 30%) and top 100 academically (top 4%) and that also had the major my DD wanted. That tends to end up being about 5-10 schools then you narrow from there.

That 3.9 average is a number that means more in the context of the HS they came from. DD's school a 4.75 was possible over 4 years if you did not play soccer. It was (I think) 4.5 if you did. Then there are how many years it is averaged over. The whole thing on GPA is not very well defined. Which is why many (Ivy's are behind) schools like Stanford, ND use only a 4.0 scale, and they still vary on how many years they average. The Common Data Set top grade tier is >3.75/4.00.
Some schools give 6.0s and some give 5.0 for some PE classes (San Clemente HS for IB Dance).

There you go again. My kid is the best, my kid's school is the best, my kids grades are the best, my kids upperclasswomen are the best, and I am the best while every other kid is dumb, their parents are dumb, where they live is dumb, and their opinions are dumb. You are a class act, MAP.

SHAME
SHAME
SHAME
SHAME
SHAME
I'm here bragging too. But also trying to point people to the facts, and finding what were facts in 2010 are not now.
When you post team GPAs that are over the top of the scale for the Common Data Set it is good to ask why. The likely answer is there are weighted numbers being used. Which makes 3.9 much more believable. I don't know ave GPAs. I didn't ask and didn't look. A 3.75 top on CDS with no granularity made is an un-useful number. ACT/SAT score mean more as they are tied to a national standard.

I'm here bragging too. But also trying to point people to the facts, and finding what were facts in 2010 are not now.
When you post team GPAs that are over the top of the scale for the Common Data Set it is good to ask why. The likely answer is there are weighted numbers being used. Which makes 3.9 much more believable. I don't know ave GPAs. I didn't ask and didn't look. A 3.75 top on CDS with no granularity made is an un-useful number. ACT/SAT score mean more as they are tied to a national standard.

I'm not sure what any of the SAT/ACT scores are other than my players and it was in the top 10th percentile for the university's most recent incoming class. I'm pretty sure the rest of the players are in the upper 25%. I think that the lowest weighted GPA was in the 3.7-3.8 range and most of the girls were unweighted 3.9-4.0 students. Two players had over 4.4 gpa's. I'm not sure how they figured the international students gpa's into the numbers that they released but I do know that only one was required to take the TOEFL and she spent two years going to HS in the US and was a straight A student there.

SHAME
SHAME
SHAME
SHAME
SHAME

Nope just you and your other 3 aliases. I know all of them jerk. I am going to continue to rail on you and your BS about crappy SoCal soccer. Stop being so bitter because your kids experience sucked and you got bullied off the Arizona forum for being obnoxious.

You are such a loser. Who has the time to log in under 4 screen names just to boo someone's posts? You must have a terrible home life. Your kid can feel your negative energy you know.

So I think this is the part that is really so cool......let's pick a sport.... for my dd-soccer, for others....basketball, softball, volleyball, football etc. .....schools like Stanford, duke, ucla, Virginia, ND, NW that have high academic standards AND yet are still perennial athletic powerhouse programs is amazing.

Our daughters are much luckier than our sons in that regard!! God bless Title IX and God Bless the United States of America!

Nope just you and your other 3 aliases. I know all of them jerk. I am going to continue to rail on you and your BS about crappy SoCal soccer. Stop being so bitter because your kids experience sucked and you got bullied off the Arizona forum for being obnoxious.

You are such a loser. Who has the time to log in under 4 screen names just to boo someone's posts? You must have a terrible home life. Your kid can feel your negative energy you know.

I bet your daughter would be ashamed about what you write about. You are a very bitter and insecure person. I feel sad for you.

We are diluting the point of the thread. I posted in the last forum my kid is a smarter than any kid on this forum. But, all this GPA stuff is not relevant. I'd guess 20% have a GPA OK for Ivy and group, 50% for UCLA... And group.
IMO if your kids is going in at top of school you left a lot on the table, if the school is not already a top academic one. Shoot for them to be 25%. Then they come out with a degree that says they are more than they are . Weird concept, but if your kid can use soccer to give them the appearance of being a GPA higher, do it.

Last edited:
We are diluting the to point of the thread. I posted in the last forum my kid is a smarter than any kid on this forum. But, all this GPA stuff is not relevant. I'd guess 20% have a GPA OK for Ivy and group, 50% for UCLA... And group.
IMO if your kids is going in at top of school you left a lot on the table, if the school is not already a top academic one. Shoot for them to be 25%. Then they come out with a degree that says they are more than they are . Weird concept, but if your kid can use soccer to give them the appearance of being a GPA higher, do it.

I see your opinions are still rather odd.

I see your opinions are still rather odd.
I assume the shoot for the 25% part, maybe everything, but more on that.

Your kids grades, test score and soccer ability are their currency for getting in. Other things are too like legacy, donations, friends in high places, being the most interesting kid in the world and building houses for the poor in Africa. All play into admissions. But for the first ones only here is my odd reasoning.

Using two higher ranked schools as examples. A Player is smart and has 700 SAT Reading and Math. they are an A and B student with 3.6/4 GPA.

At UC Davis the 75th percentile SAT Reading/Math = 630/710 (they are good in math) ACT 30 (C9) https://www.sariweb.ucdavis.edu/commondataset/cds20152016.pdf
At Princeton the 25th percentile SAT Reading/Math = 690/700 ACT 32 https://registrar.princeton.edu/university_enrollment_sta/CDS2015-16.pdf

If the coaches want you for soccer - at both schools both SAT and Grades are good enough for both.
I think the one where the player is in the 25% makes them look better.

Same kind of pairing can be done on a Cal-State vs a UC. The 75% at a Cal-State is pretty close to a 25% at a UC. If the kid has a choice the one where they are in the 25% looks better.

Back