Re-entry

I didn’t know any girls growing up with ACL tears.
They played basketball, soccer, volleyball, softball and ran track.
Players play year round unlike when we played at this age.
Thus sports like soccer are no longer seasonal.
This gives players more opportunities to tear an ACL.

Maybe you should encourage your kids to quite sports and take up debate or chess. Girls are more susceptible to ACL injuries naturally and thus need to keep up their fitness do specific strength and conditioning training. The answer is not to sit on the bench more.

Sport specificity / lack of cross training and lack of adequate rest and recovery (10-11 month seasons, multiple games on weekends) definitely are a contributing factor. Others have cited the ACL specific training regimes which seem to be the current best mitigation.

I remember reading an article that another problem that contributes to girls having a lot of knee/ankle injuries is they try to stay upright when they get hit. Apparently, that is more jarring to their knees/ankles and they would be better off falling down AND learning how to fall down. I guess boys are more likely to go down when hit/know how to fall correctly. I know that sounds weird but apparently it's true.

I remember reading an article that another problem that contributes to girls having a lot of knee/ankle injuries is they try to stay upright when they get hit. Apparently, that is more jarring to their knees/ankles and they would be better off falling down AND learning how to fall down. I guess boys are more likely to go down when hit/know how to fall correctly. I know that sounds weird but apparently it's true.

Do boys flop or fall down more, maybe up until a certain age but for HS ages I dunno? Girls tend to be way more flexible even at this age.

I can tell you the things that helped our senior daughter who has seen a number of teammates with this type of injury; playing volleyball to strength the core and legs and Judo although she mostly has to spar with the bigger boys so knows how to roll and fall with somebody bigger pushing against her.

.....The poor little girls can't deal with the rigors of DA. All the references to female athletes and, as is implied, their "special needs"...
Yep, Women have a few “special needs” and additional work for ACL injury prevention is one of them. That was my point.

Many factors obviously contribute to ACL tears, perhaps the most important (other than genetics) being muscle fatigue. The number of minutes played in a single game has a high correlation to ACL injury risk. Here's a link to an interesting article. https://fitforfutbol.com/2016/02/th...y-and-sleep-on-performance-injury-likelihood/.

As discussed above, there are many ways a girl can take steps to potentially reduce the risk of an ACL injury. First, if you have a family history of knee problems, don't play soccer. Second, cross-train, build leg muscle strength and learn the biomechanics of running properly to avoid excessive knee strain. Third, don't play DA or for the GNT. There is no legitimate reason a 15-16 year old girl should play a 90 minute game, let alone train 4 days a week and then play 2 90 minute games over the weekend. Is it any surprise that the U17 WNT has lost at least 5 players to ACL tears in the last year? Finally, put your daughter on the pill.

Many factors obviously contribute to ACL tears, perhaps the most important (other than genetics) being muscle fatigue. The number of minutes played in a single game has a high correlation to ACL injury risk. Here's a link to an interesting article. https://fitforfutbol.com/2016/02/th...y-and-sleep-on-performance-injury-likelihood/.

As discussed above, there are many ways a girl can take steps to potentially reduce the risk of an ACL injury. First, if you have a family history of knee problems, don't play soccer. Second, cross-train, build leg muscle strength and learn the biomechanics of running properly to avoid excessive knee strain. Third, don't play DA or for the GNT. There is no legitimate reason a 15-16 year old girl should play a 90 minute game, let alone train 4 days a week and then play 2 90 minute games over the weekend. Is it any surprise that the U17 WNT has lost at least 5 players to ACL tears in the last year? Finally, put your daughter on the pill.

Does the pill help prevent ACL tears?

https://fitforfutbol.com/2017/02/the-role-of-gender-in-pre-disposal-to-injury-by-lauren-cowley/

"Another explanation for gender’s role in pre-disposal to certain injuries may be hormonal differences between men and women. Sex hormones, e.g. estrogen and progesterone, cause an alteration of gene expression in soft tissues. Therefore sex hormones may influence the structure and function of tendons, particularly the achilles tendon. Estrogen reduces fibroblast biosynthesis, and could possibly decrease collagen density, which could in turn decrease tendon resistance to injury (Lee et al., 2004). Elevated endogenous estrogen levels in females have also been correlated with decreased collagen rates of synthesis, which can lead to reduced tendon cross-sectional area (Miller et al., 2006) which in turn, can increase risk of injury by reducing the tendon’s ability to adapt to loading upon it.

Sex hormones have also resulted in ligamentous laxity being found to be more dominant in females than males. This appears to be as a result of the women’s menstrual cycle, due to peak levels of estrogen and progesterone (Harmon & Ireland, 2000). ACL rupture incidence is found to be at its highest in females during the ovulation phase of their menstrual cycle, as that is when estrogen levels are at their peak (Wojtys et al., 1998). Wojtys et al. (2002) also discovered that oral contraceptive use decreases the occurrence of injury observed during this ovulation phase (Wojtys et al., 2002)."

This is one of the worst advice posts I have ever read. Don't play soccer? Don't play DA to avoid the 90 min game when instead you will play 4-5 games in a weekend at tournaments? The pill??? I hate to see what type of life advice you would provide.

Probably a separate thread, but what the heck.
You don’t hear too much about professional male soccer players with too many major injuries. Yes- they happen. But not at the rate I would expect for the game length and intensity they they are playing at.
Has there ever been a PED scandal at the highest levels of soccer?
How strict are drug tests in EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, World Cup, etc?

This is one of the worst advice posts I have ever read. Don't play soccer? Don't play DA to avoid the 90 min game when instead you will play 4-5 games in a weekend at tournaments? The pill??? I hate to see what type of life advice you would provide.

Relax buddy, clearly you can't tell when something is written tongue in cheek. If the concept of your daughter and the pill is too much for you to handle, I'd hate to see what type of life advice you are providing them. Regardless, I highly recommend getting over it for many reasons, and before she goes to prom or gets seriously hurt on the pitch. Tick tock.

Relax buddy, clearly you can't tell when something is written tongue in cheek. If the concept of your daughter and the pill is too much for you to handle, I'd hate to see what type of life advice you are providing them. Regardless, I highly recommend getting over it for many reasons, and before she goes to prom or gets seriously hurt on the pitch. Tick tock.

My youngest is a senior and oldest ones in college so I am way past that issue. Was your soccer advice tongue in cheek also? If not it sucks.

Even better for building strength in female athletes would be testosterone or HGH injections. I don't think they are illegal as long as they are done with a parent's consent and under a doctor's supervision.

Even better for building strength in female athletes would be testosterone or HGH injections. I don't think they are illegal as long as they are done with a parent's consent and under a doctor's supervision.

Good idea. But I'm worried that would impact her running.

4 days of training often includes fitness/strength training and one 90 minute game is less risky than multiple games over the weekend tourney. My daughter plays DA and is thrilled with not being hurt/sore after games anymore because there’s only one game a day. She can also go all out every game now. All kinds of elite athletes catch flack for doing too much, or too young. Bunch of crap. Look for examples of all those who defy the limits too. Go do what you love and learn to listen to your body and take full care of it. Girls don’t need artificial limits put on them.

Good idea. But I'm worried that would impact her running.

One of my sons' former teammates who was the smallest player on the team that year underwent a series of HGH injections. By the time he finished high school he was starting linebacker on the football team. He attended a different high school than my kids so we lost track of his progress until we saw him working out on the track one day. We didn't recognize him at first, but after he saw us he told us his tale. His only problem was a weakness in the hip muscles because he was growing too fast. Physical therapy cured that.

Back