Re-entry

surfertwins

SILVER
Quick question.. U14 has unlimited substitutions with re-entry over 3 instances with half time not counting as a instance.. Correct?

So a young lady could exit and enter a game in the same half.. Correct?

Cheers

My understanding is no re-entry in the same half. But I do know there were appeals for change that may or may not be under consideration.

No re-entry for any youth soccer league is stupid.

I completely disagree with your comment. I have seen many games through years with and without re-entry rules. In almost all cases the kids at the end of the bench don't get a lot of playing time. With open substitution you often seen the coach put in a kid for a few minutes and as soon as they make one mistake they are subbed out of the game. Now I know you are going to say that this allows the coach to instruct the kid but that is one of things that is wrong with youth soccer. The game itself should be instructing the kid and they should be encouraged to make mistakes and try things out in the game environment without fear of being subbed out. Soccer is like a very complex puzzle and it takes a lot of trial and error during a game to figure out how to win. Limited subbing and no re-entry encourages kids to be creative and make mistakes since they know the coach can't just yank them out.

I can totally see your point. I get it.
I'm more concerned about injury /fatigue.
Example: I have a player coming back from an ankle injury. We play 40 minute halves. No re-entry in the first half.
I start her on the bench. I put her in with 20 minutes left in the 1st half. She plays 5 minutes and her ankle is really bothering her. Maybe she's not ready. Maybe she got kicked. Regardless- I'd rather not tell her to suck it up and play through it during the 1st game of the season. But I have already subbed her and the other 3 players on my bench into the game. They can't go back on until halftime. And I'd rather not wait until only 5 minutes left in the half and save a sub in case this player can't go for more than 5 minutes.

With these rules, some kids will play the full 80 minutes. I'm not sure that's a great idea. We are talking about kids in the middle of puberty with lots of changes happening in their body. Girl has a major growth spurt over the summer. Grows 3 inches and gains 20 pounds. Imagine the impact on a body that is used to running / playing at a certain pace but now she has increased her body weight by 20% from 100lbs to 120lbs. You try to run a 5k at 175 pounds. And then go out 4 weeks later and run it at 210. You won't like the results and you'll be a lot more sore at 210.

A coach being a jerk will be a jerk regardless of the substitution rules. That same guy will sub every 20 seconds when holding onto a 1 goal lead with 4 minutes left.

Example: I have a player coming back from an ankle injury. We play 40 minute halves. No re-entry in the first half.
I start her on the bench. I put her in with 20 minutes left in the 1st half. She plays 5 minutes and her ankle is really bothering her. Maybe she's not ready. Maybe she got kicked. Regardless- I'd rather not tell her to suck it up and play through it during the 1st game of the season. But I have already subbed her and the other 3 players on my bench into the game. They can't go back on until halftime. And I'd rather not wait until only 5 minutes left in the half and save a sub in case this player can't go for more than 5 minutes.

With these rules, some kids will play the full 80 minutes. I'm not sure that's a great idea. We are talking about kids in the middle of puberty with lots of changes happening in their body. Girl has a major growth spurt over the summer. Grows 3 inches and gains 20 pounds. Imagine the impact on a body that is used to running / playing at a certain pace but now she has increased her body weight by 20% from 100lbs to 120lbs. You try to run a 5k at 175 pounds. And then go out 4 weeks later and run it at 210. You won't like the results and you'll be a lot more sore at 210.

A coach being a jerk will be a jerk regardless of the substitution rules. That same guy will sub every 20 seconds when holding onto a 1 goal lead with 4 minutes left.

Okay I see your point. But looking at both your examples in the first you can always pull the player and if your out of subs play with 10 for a few minutes. Pull a striker back on D and work on your defense. Or maybe just not play that girl and give her more time to recover. In the second example, if a girl is not fit you should not be counting on her to play 80 minutes. In another few years you will be playing 90 minute games. Unless your have a very entry level team, most teams have plenty of players that have the endurance to play a full game.

Don't compare DA rules with SCDSL.
In DA there is no re-entry in either halves and you have only 3 times during the match to make a substitution. Now you can sub 3-4 players at once and it counts as 1 time. Once player is substituted he/she can not come back to play (unless it's due to injury evaluation)

Back to original question. Unlimited Substitutions don't mean you can sub and come back. All it means is you can play all your players on the roster and sub them in during 3 "moments" during the match or during half time, which doesn't count as the moment.

You’re really digging deep to find the examples, but the answer to you “injury” question is easy. My DD (a DA player) sprained her ankle pretty bad this past Spring. After the Dr cleared her to play, she was held out of the next 2 games because the Coach felt she was not yet at 100%. He then played her in the last 15 min of the next 2 games. When he saw what he needed to see out of her in Practice and the limited game time, she got her starting role back in the last games. In short, good Coaches won’t play a player unless they have no question about their physical status, mainly because of the No are-Entry rule.

You’re really digging deep to find the examples, but the answer to you “injury” question is easy. My DD (a DA player) sprained her ankle pretty bad this past Spring. After the Dr cleared her to play, she was held out of the next 2 games because the Coach felt she was not yet at 100%. He then played her in the last 15 min of the next 2 games. When he saw what he needed to see out of her in Practice and the limited game time, she got her starting role back in the last games. In short, good Coaches won’t play a player unless they have no question about their physical status, mainly because of the No are-Entry rule.
I was there watching that game. The way in which her injury occurred looked awful from afar. Glad it was not as serious as it looked.
Your example is definitely one often seen at the professional level.

I was there watching that game. The way in which her injury occurred looked awful from afar. Glad it was not as serious as it looked.
Your example is definitely one often seen at the professional level.
Thx Lastman. I honestly believe all her side training at GR helped prevent it from being worse than it could have been. I also credit them with getting her back so quickly.

Why would you sub her in the first half if she is injured? Why wouldn’t you play her in the second half? That’s not really a hard problem to resolve. Regardless, playing down a girl for a few minutes shouldn’t be an issue.

Watch the Stanford/NC game. You think that NC’s hockey line substitutions and crazy pressing don’t contribute to injuries?

BTW - cross country runners in HS have no real issues with growth spurts.

Why would you sub her in the first half if she is injured? Why wouldn’t you play her in the second half? That’s not really a hard problem to resolve. Regardless, playing down a girl for a few minutes shouldn’t be an issue.

Watch the Stanford/NC game. You think that NC’s hockey line substitutions and crazy pressing don’t contribute to injuries?

BTW - cross country runners in HS have no real issues with growth spurts.

They don't?
https://coachdeanhebert.wordpress.c...-running-is-too-much-for-high-school-runners/
https://commons.pacificu.edu/cgi/vi....com/&httpsredir=1&article=1003&context=ptfac
http://www.stelizabeth.com/healthyheadlines/cross-country-injuries/
https://www.anklefootmd.com/3-injuries-that-effect-cross-country-and-track-athletes/

Aren't we training most of our kids to play in college anyway?

I guess in this case - I wouldn't play her in the 1st half. Which is why the rule is silly.
There is likely is no scientific evidence to say that the re-entry restrictions have anything to do with the increased incidence of ACL and other issues that cause surgery.
But it sure seems that there has been an increase in these types of injuries lately. I know 3 players in their junior year of HS that have had recent ACL surgery. I'm all for trying to keep kids healthy. An ACL issue might be from a freak accident or non-contact. However, I tend to believe that overuse leads to more injuries.
And I'm not necessarily talking about 18 year old players at the DA level. The re-entry restrictions in SCDSL start at the 2005 age group (once per half). Then at 2004 its "none in the 1st half, once in the 2nd). Coast has no re-entry restrictions at any age.

One way to avoid initial or reoccurring ACL injury is for players to maintain fitness and training schedules throughout the season. Focusing on strength and conditioning of a player’s core, hip and thigh muscles in relation to common soccer movements will help players avoid initial injury as well as re-injury to an ACL. https://www.hss.edu/playbook/top-3-reasons-soccer-players-are-at-risk-for-acl-injuries

It's not overuse, its misuse. Kids need a higher practice to game ratio with more fitness training and strength and conditioning training as mentioned above. So the issue is not playing 80 or 90 minutes of a game but what the kid does all week long to prepare themselves to play that amount of time.

One way to avoid initial or reoccurring ACL injury is for players to maintain fitness and training schedules throughout the season. Focusing on strength and conditioning of a player’s core, hip and thigh muscles in relation to common soccer movements will help players avoid initial injury as well as re-injury to an ACL. https://www.hss.edu/playbook/top-3-reasons-soccer-players-are-at-risk-for-acl-injuries

It's not overuse, its misuse. Kids need a higher practice to game ratio with more fitness training and strength and conditioning training as mentioned above. So the issue is not playing 80 or 90 minutes of a game but what the kid does all week long to prepare themselves to play that amount of time.
I've heard of several of these injuries occurring in practice, not necessarily at games. It's become an epidemic on the girls' side. I don't have the answer as to why.

Last edited:
I've heard of several of these injuries occurring in practice, not necessarily at games. Also have heard of girls who have been doing huge amounts of fitness and core-- as well as specifically ACL "prevention"-- and still getting torn ACLs. It's become an epidemic on the girls' side. I don't have the answer as to why.
Women are prone to ACL injury, period. Ask your local physician and they will tell you. Boys train the same amount and you don’t see it as much of an “epidemic”.

Let’s not fan the flames with dramatic narrative .

Women are prone to ACL injury, period. Ask your local physician and they will tell you. Boys train the same amount and you don’t see it as much of an “epidemic”.

Let’s not fan the flames with dramatic narrative .

I've heard of five young women in the last month or so, who play SOCCER at high level, tearing their ACLs... And I don't know that many people. I've heard of girls who have been on DA, ECNL, and college teams, so it's not about any particular league or method. I don't know of many girls who are dancers, basketball, volleyball, or softball players who have torn their ACLs. So to chalk it up to "girls tear their ACLs a lot" seems a dangerous denial of what seems to be a growing problem within this sport. Why not try to find a solution?

Last edited:
I've heard of five young women in the last month or so, who play SOCCER at high level, tearing their ACLs... And I don't know that many people. I've heard of girls who have been on DA, ECNL, and college teams, so it's not about any particular league or method. I don't know of many girls who are dancers, basketball, volleyball, or softball players who have torn their ACLs. So to chalk it up to "girls tear their ACLs a lot" seems a dangerous denial of what seems to be a growing problem within this sport. Why not try to find a solution?
It’s not denial. But I don’t think an antagonist such as yourself is grasping that. Women are prone to ACL tears, that’s more of a call for awareness and prevention than anything really.

I didn’t know any girls growing up with ACL tears.
They played basketball, soccer, volleyball, softball and ran track.

Back