NWSL opening weekend

I am not name calling. I am politely explaining to you why your actions are racist. I didn’t just call you a name, I explained why your actions are racist. I also answered all of your questions.

Why can’t I call your actions racist if I explain why? How can we progress if I can’t raise issues?

Finally, if you feel so righteous please answer my questions with specificity?

One more thing, how do you feel I could be more tactful in telling someone their actions are racist?
You sound pretty intelligent and successful for one who was so oppressed.
How did you do it with whitey holding you back?

One example of how black people are denied opportunity is via hiring discrimination.

Outlaw, according to this study, you have lots of company in thinking there is less racism than there actually is. I wonder if you’re open to the possibility that your perspective might be incomplete.
The link is to a relatively useless hbr summary, but the hbr summary has a link to the real study. Worth reading if you are curious about the topic and like stats.

The analysis claims a relatively consistent level of discrimination against blacks, but a declining level against latinos. overall levels were in the range of 30%. (A resume with a white sounding name might get 30% more callbacks than a resume with a stereotypically black sounding name. No examples were given of what exactly they mean by that.)

The study also notes a publication bias. Studies which show less discrimination were less likely to be published than studies which show more discrimination. Not surprising, given the reaction to the WSJ quote of the MSU crime study. (authors withdrew a study because the WSJ quoted it.)

One example of how black people are denied opportunity is via hiring discrimination.

Outlaw, according to this study, you have lots of company in thinking there is less racism than there actually is. I wonder if you’re open to the possibility that your perspective might be incomplete.

Has it occurred to you that maybe more black people aren't qualified for the jobs? How about the fact that, in the real world I live in, you can't fire a black person without getting your corporate legal team involved because you're going to get sued? Let's take a hard look at that.

I do know that the bar is lowered for minorities in college admissions. I do know many companies are bullied into hiring minorities. I do know the NFL requires teams to interview black coaches even though 65% of the players are black. I do know LeBron James calls NBA brass "white plantation owners" when 75% of the players are black and a good portion of them can't form a single sentence correctly.

Let's be honest... if you can't compete, you can't compete. Maybe it's time to stop blaming everyone else.

Has it occurred to you that maybe more black people aren't qualified for the jobs? How about the fact that, in the real world I live in, you can't fire a black person without getting your corporate legal team involved because you're going to get sued? Let's take a hard look at that.

I do know that the bar is lowered for minorities in college admissions. I do know many companies are bullied into hiring minorities. I do know the NFL requires teams to interview black coaches even though 65% of the players are black. I do know LeBron James calls NBA brass "white plantation owners" when 75% of the players are black and a good portion of them can't form a single sentence correctly.

Let's be honest... if you can't compete, you can't compete. Maybe it's time to stop blaming everyone else.
You should actually read the study!

You should actually read the study!
Even if he reads the study, I seriously doubt he could comprehend. I read similar studies over 25 years ago in undergrad. The information is out there for those that want to know.

There’s lots of willful ignorance and ethnocentrism by those that know they couldn’t compete in a meritocracy.

The study is hard reading, but worth it.

It tries to analyze years of in-field hiring studies.

One type sends out resumes. Some of the resumes have stereotypically white sounding names, the other has stereotypically black or latino sounding names. If done right, that is the only difference in the resumes.

Then they wait and see which group gets more responses.

They give a scatter plot, which shows that you tend to get about 13 responses to the white-sounding resumes for each 10 responses to the black sounding resumes.

So, not impossible for a black man seeking work, but not exactly equal either.

The other type of study does the same thing, but with actors. They seem to get about the same results. 13 positive results for white actors for each 10 positive results for black actors.

Both types of studies have flaws, but the consistency makes it worth some thought.

It helps explain why the one black family at my middle school was smart to name their son "Eddie". Made his life a little easier than if they had named him "Rashaan". Shouldn't be that way, but it is.

Even if he reads the study, I seriously doubt he could comprehend. I read similar studies over 25 years ago in undergrad. The information is out there for those that want to know.

There’s lots of willful ignorance and ethnocentrism by those that know they couldn’t compete in a meritocracy.
Speaking of willful ignorance - for someone with much to say, you sure side-stepped the below fact.

Allow me:
So, "by those that know they couldn’t compete in a meritocracy." you meant this?

Assuming that he thinks he couldn’t compete as the reason for holding a different perspective is just as willfully ignorant.

One type sends out resumes. Some of the resumes have stereotypically white sounding names, the other has stereotypically black or latino sounding names. If done right, that is the only difference in the resumes.

They give a scatter plot, which shows that you tend to get about 13 responses to the white-sounding resumes for each 10 responses to the black sounding resumes.

The other type of study does the same thing, but with actors. They seem to get about the same results. 13 positive results for white actors for each 10 positive results for black actors.

Both types of studies have flaws, but the consistency makes it worth some thought.

It helps explain why the one black family at my middle school was smart to name their son "Eddie". Made his life a little easier than if they had named him "Rashaan". Shouldn't be that way, but it is.
Or change their family name to Tanaka and name him Fujita. Or maybe for starters, study how a high percentage of Asians raise their kids in two parent households with an emphasis on education. Best to focus on why vs. why not.

Did you also read the studies regarding being raised in single parent households, usually without a Father? Those studies have been around at least 25 years.

Or change their family name to Tanaka and name him Fujita. Or maybe for starters, study how a high percentage of Asians raise their kids in two parent households with an emphasis on education. Best to focus on why vs. why not.
That would have been a bad choice when and where I grew up. A black boy named Fujita Tanaka would have been bullied without mercy in an all white town in the 1970s.

Eddie’s family was a two parent family focused on education. The dad was a doctor, and the mom stayed at home to focus on the kids. Both of them did just fine. Which kind of proves your point.

Eddie’s family also had the resources to find a real estate agent who was willing to find them a house in the good school district. Which kind of proves Dre’s point.

It shouldn't be that way, I agree, but it is... and then we have to ask ourselves WHY that is. Most aren't willing to have that conversation.

It happens, Dre, because of how people behave. I've worked in the private sector... where you used to be able to fire anybody for cause. Now? Not so much. Firing minorities is an arduous task... ask anybody in Human Resources.

Instead of talking about the fact that it happens... how about you ask WHY it happens? You willing to be that honest?

Assuming that he thinks he couldn’t compete as the reason for holding a different perspective is just as willfully ignorant.
I use deductive reasoning and placed myself in his shoes to come my conclusion. His obsession with all things black presents as fear to me. This dude knows more about current events in the black community than I do and I’m black and live in a black community. I cannot even debate this guy half of the time because I am not familiar with the facts. When he talks about King James and the NBA, or NFL the guy appears threatened by something.
So @The Outlaw what is the root of your fear of black people? I respectfully submit all of your comments regarding blacks as my proof of your fear. I apologize for assuming your fear is based on an inability to compete.

It happens, Dre, because of how people behave. I've worked in the private sector... where you used to be able to fire anybody for cause. Now? Not so much. Firing minorities is an arduous task... ask anybody in Human Resources.

Instead of talking about the fact that it happens... how about you ask WHY it happens? You willing to be that honest?
What did the study say?

I use deductive reasoning and placed myself in his shoes to come my conclusion. His obsession with all things black presents as fear to me. This dude knows more about current events in the black community than I do and I’m black and live in a black community. I cannot even debate this guy half of the time because I am not familiar with the facts. When he talks about King James and the NBA, or NFL the guy appears threatened by something.
So @The Outlaw what is the root of your fear of black people? I respectfully submit all of your comments regarding blacks as my proof of your fear. I apologize for assuming your fear is based on an inability to compete.

Yeah, I know more because I research it and you don't. I've researched the cases of dead black criminals that died because they were too stupid to comply with police. I've read multiple articles. I've watched multiple videos. Like most black people, you determine guilt and innocence by skin color. And if you don't follow the narrative, you're labeled an Uncle Tom. I guess loyalty is more important than thinking for oneself.

Maybe you'd appear more intelligent on the subject if you educated yourself rather than using "deductive reasoning" based on your skin pigment? As much crying as you do about police brutality and oppression, you sure don't know a Hell of a lot when asked for evidence.

Black folks are good at sports and crime. Not much else. Neither of which I'm forced to compete with.

What did the study say?

I didn't read the study. I don't need to. I don't doubt that companies hire fewer black people. The question is whether or not you're willing to ask yourself WHY that is. WHY black culture isn't as admired as YOU think it is. WHY black people are profiled. WHY, out of ALL the races in this country, only black people have a problem with police.

I don't get the sense you're willing to be that honest with yourself.

Back