Girls Development Academy

Pepperdine is a great Academic institution ranked 52nd in the nation, and is well-coached and scrappy based on 2 fairly recent games I've seen, better than their NCAA 133rd rank would indicate. A year ago I think it was, I watched them upset USC.

Presently in the 2016 -2018 graduating classes from So Cal, Pepperdine has 1 Real So Cal recruit, 3 from Slammers, 2 from Eagles, 1 from Surf, a GK from Strikers, 1 from WC, and 1 from non-ECNL Carlsbad Elite.

While I'm sure they have some good players, I do think its telling that Pateadores, as far as I know, hasn't got a single 2016-2018 commit in the top 26 Academic and NCAA ranked teams, whereas non-ECNL Legends, LA Premier, and Carlsbad all have several. They seem to be the one head-scratcher on the girls side of the GDA announcements.
Kind of like a few years after the ECNL rolled out, it was obvious there were some head scratchers there also. Looking back, there were a few clubs the ECNL took in based only on the success of one team, and most of the time the one good team wasn't even developed by that club. It would not be surprising to see history repeat itself. It would be more surprising if it didn't.

i remember you saying that if they were serious that was what they would do. I didn't think that you were advocating it you were just stating that it would be a sign that they were serious. To give you context we were talking about the Japanese team and what they were doing right. I also believe that you mentioned the lengths that the Japanese Federation was going through in order to improve their program. We did discuss pro women's soccer and many other topics. We usually see eye to eye on most issues.

I hear you about the Santa Clara game mattering more but that Beijing team is gonna be the tougher of the two. With the upcoming schedule they have KM will want to get some things figured out and probably won't go that deep down the roster again. Good luck to your daughter again. She is a sweet kid and my player thinks the world of her.

Ah hah! My deductive Sherlock homes reasoning has it figured out. I will not let the cat out of the bag. You are right I did say that about 6-7 years ago. Has it been that long? F'n -a. I must admit I was a bit naive back then and hadn't realized the impact that High School has on young ladies. Our kids weren't even thinking about that they were just happy playing any chance they got. Could you imagine blowing that experience all off with the hopes of making - $30 K a year if you are lucky and maybe securing a 1-4 spot slot every 4 years by spending it in a residency program. I will stand by my most recent comment - lunacy. If it was millions or hundreds of thousands maybe. Now that I've changed - haha , get an outstanding degree, if you can play a bit and travel after college do it. If you kick ass and get called in great. But again tell their is lucrative money residency would nuts.

Ah hah! My deductive Sherlock homes reasoning has it figured out. I will not let the cat out of the bag. You are right I did say that about 6-7 years ago. Has it been that long? F'n -a. I must admit I was a bit naive back then and hadn't realized the impact that High School has on young ladies. Our kids weren't even thinking about that they were just happy playing any chance they got. Could you imagine blowing that experience all off with the hopes of making - $30 K a year if you are lucky and maybe securing a 1-4 spot slot every 4 years by spending it in a residency program. I will stand by my most recent comment - lunacy. If it was millions or hundreds of thousands maybe. Now that I've changed - haha , get an outstanding degree, if you can play a bit and travel after college do it. If you kick ass and get called in great. But again tell their is lucrative money residency would nuts.
Funny but you can probably make more $ coaching youth club soccer than you can actually playing women's pro soccer.

I figured you would remember. Yes it was many moons ago but you don't have to remind me about how crazy this journey was and how fast it went by now that we are done with club. I agree 100% with you as I usually do.

Yes. Get an outstanding degree from a great institution. Play for fun and if you get a call into the USWNT then great. Otherwise use it to travel to some nice places, make some great friends and have a great experience. Tell your little lady that we wish her luck and I look forward to seeing you both in November.

Last edited:
I figured you would remember. Yes it was many moons ago but you don't have to remind you about how crazy this journey was and how fast it went by now that we are done with club. I agree 100% with you as I usually do.

Yes. Get an outstanding degree from a great institution. Play for fun and if you get a call into the USWNT then great. Otherwise use it to travel to some nice places, make some great friends and have a great experience. Tell your little lady that we wish her luck and I look forward to seeing you both in November.
you should post that 2ND paragraph on the younger forum. Very true

I figured you would remember. Yes it was many moons ago but you don't have to remind you about how crazy this journey was and how fast it went by now that we are done with club. I agree 100% with you as I usually do.

Ditto!

Maybe all those SoCal clubs sharing the names Surf, Arsenal, and Galaxy will become Surf or Arsenal or Galaxy United.

Oh I'd love to see that happen. Hilarious!!! Surf are the masters of branding. Give up the name? Not in a million years!! LOL!

I have said a residency program for the girls? If so was I drunk? With no money in womens soccer that would be lunacy. Just to get players for the NT? How many times have I said the NT is not the goal. Lucrative pro soccer is the goal. The NT happens from the outcome of lucrative pro soccer. The US has it backwards. If they truly want to move forward they have to fix that. Who makes the money? Barca and Real Madrid or the Spanish Federation? Who trains the players the clubs or the federation. That is what is wrong here. We can't get that figured out. BTW Santa Clara is an RPI game Beijing is a scrimmage. So Sunday might be another play 29 game and figure out some more personal combinations. Should be fun.

So who was tougher? Beijing Normal or SCU?

So who was tougher? Beijing Normal or SCU?

Pretty funny. Clearly Santa Clara was tougher. They clearly were without their WNT players that they had against the U20's. Funny though. His daughter played well. That is probably what mattered most to him.

overzealous parents best not push their kids into GDA... They could end up like this guy:

Former Raiders QB Todd Marinovich found naked, booked for drugs

The only club in CA that trains and plays possession soccer is DeAnza. The rest of Cali relies on athletic ability. Beach is irrelevant until you win something that matters. Zoom Zoom >>>>>>>>>>>>

You clearly know very little so please stop proving it. Work with your kid. Tool!

I am only stereotyping the typical SoCal player. Defensive backs that kick it to a sprinting forward. No technical ability or midfield required.

You wouldn't know technical ability if it bit you in the ass. That is why your kid is still going nowhere.

Back