Creationism2

Chicago Cardinal: I Wish Justice Scalia Lived to See Pope Outlaw Death Penalty
15EmailGoogle+Twitter

KOOKS ALL AROUND, ESPECIALLY THE POPE
Cardinal-Blase-Cupich-Justice-Antonin-Scalia-Getty-640x480.jpg

Scott Olson/Getty Images/Somodevilla/Getty Images
6 Aug 2018317
Cardinal Blase Cupich, the Archbishop of Chicago, told a panel last week that he wished Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia had lived long enough to see Pope Francis declare the death penalty “inadmissible.”
“Would that he had lived to be here today, to see what the pope has done, because I think it would cause him to rethink that,” Cupich said, in reference to a Scalia quote read by the panel moderator, Ronald J. Tabak, the chair of the ABA’s death penalty committee.

In the quote read from a 2002 article in the journal First Things, Justice Scalia noted that Christian societies, confident in eternal life, tended to be less horrified by the death penalty than secular societies.

“Indeed, it seems to me that the more Christian a country is, the less likely it is to regard the death penalty as immoral,” Scalia wrote. “Abolition has taken its firmest hold in post-Christian Europe and has least support in the church-going United States. I attribute that to the fact that for the believing Christian, death is no big deal.”

“I think that his understanding of salvation has great limitations. It’s an atomistic view of salvation, that is, as individuals,” Cupich said. “God saves a people. God doesn’t just save by individuals. How is it that we integrate human beings into society, especially those at the margins? That’s the question we should be posing here.”

As Breitbart News reported, on August 2, Pope Francis amended the Catechism of the Catholic Church regarding its teaching on capital punishment, declaring the death penalty to be “inadmissible” and saying that the Church “works with determination for its abolition worldwide.”

The new text of the relevant number, 2267, recognizes that recourse to the death penalty “was long considered an appropriate response to the gravity of certain crimes and an acceptable, albeit extreme, means of safeguarding the common good,” but adds that this is no longer the case.

Cupich said that he believes capital punishment to be intimately related to abortion.

“Erasing the innate value of individual lives because of crimes committed, and removing such criminals from the human family, is an echo of the violence done to human dignity when pro-choice advocates imply that the life developing in the womb is not ‘real human’ life,” Cupich said.

Cupich also said that he understood some Catholics would struggle with the church’s teaching on the death penalty due to “a desire to restore the order of justice that has been so viciously violated.”

“But there is a flaw in that way of thinking,” Cupich said. “When the state imposes the death penalty, it proclaims that taking one human life counterbalances the taking of another life. This is profoundly mistaken.”

Justice Scalia’s son, Christopher, who holds a PhD in English, challenged Cardinal Cupich in a series of posts on Twitter, saying that the cardinal did not give “a very good answer.”

When Cardinal Cupich said that the pope’s recent decision would have caused Justice Scalia to rethink his position on the death penalty, he was mistaken, his son said.

“But the belief that the new catechism would have changed his mind assumes that the pope presented any new arguments my father hadn’t already addressed,” Mr. Scalia tweeted, noting that this was clear from the full essay from which the passage had been read.

As for Cupich’s assertion that Justice Scalia’s understanding of salvation was “atomistic,” his son said that such a reply was “irrelevant to the passage in question.”

Scalia said:

And my father elsewhere expressed agreement with the traditional Catholic belief that “the primary purpose of the punishment which society inflicts is ‘to redress the disorder caused by the offense’,” which is far from atomistic, as it recognizes that because certain crimes do such damage not only to individuals, but to the broader society, capital punishment is the only way to restore order. Agree or disagree with that belief, it’s not an atomistic view.

“I’m glad the moderator quoted my father at this panel. I do wish, though, that Cardinal Cupich had provided a better informed response,” he concluded.

Creationism :

The belief that the universe and living organisms
originate from specific acts of divine creation, as in
the biblical account, rather than by natural processes
such as evolution.

creationist.jpg

Which is it ....

A. Divine Creation.

B. Evolution.

C. Planet seeding by Lifeforms much more advanced than us.

So, are you pointing out lunacy and division to call it out or are you reveling in it?

The summer I was 16, I attended a National Science Foundation Math Camp. The topics were things that were within the technical reach of math nerds of that age (probability, number theory, abstract algebra, and a weekly seminar on different things like multi-value logic or inequalities). The profs and interns were from local colleges in the Worcester, Mass, area, and room and board was provided by the normal summer session of Assumption Prep School, a Worcester Catholic boys boarding school known for preparing young men to attend Assumption College in Worcester, where they would be studying for the priesthood. We NSF-ers were excused from the twice-a-day Mass, except we had to check in at the Sunday evening Mass after being allowed off campus all day (perhaps with visiting family). At the end of calling the roll and making the weekly announcements, Father John, the school Principal, would turn to the altar and start praying. All the observant Catholics would flop down their kneelers and bow in prayer while we math heathens headed out the door for the rec room. Because of all that, I got to know Father John fairly well - he liked to join in during the swimming hours in the school's pool - but it didn't occur to me until decades later that he might have had some private motive for his friendly behavior toward all us young men.

No Comment? That's a first from this BooB.

Vatican’s Response to Hundreds of Predator Priests Abusing 1,000 Children:
https://www.breitbart.com/big-gover...ds-of-predator-priests-abusing-1000-children/
‘No Comment’

The Vatican had “no comment” when asked about hundreds of Pennsylvania priests sexually abusing a thousand children
The need for "celibate" priests has come and gone long, long ago.
The original Catholic church had no such requirement.

The summer I was 16, I attended a National Science Foundation Math Camp. The topics were things that were within the technical reach of math nerds of that age (probability, number theory, abstract algebra, and a weekly seminar on different things like multi-value logic or inequalities). The profs and interns were from local colleges in the Worcester, Mass, area, and room and board was provided by the normal summer session of Assumption Prep School, a Worcester Catholic boys boarding school known for preparing young men to attend Assumption College in Worcester, where they would be studying for the priesthood. We NSF-ers were excused from the twice-a-day Mass, except we had to check in at the Sunday evening Mass after being allowed off campus all day (perhaps with visiting family). At the end of calling the roll and making the weekly announcements, Father John, the school Principal, would turn to the altar and start praying. All the observant Catholics would flop down their kneelers and bow in prayer while we math heathens headed out the door for the rec room. Because of all that, I got to know Father John fairly well - he liked to join in during the swimming hours in the school's pool - but it didn't occur to me until decades later that he might have had some private motive for his friendly behavior toward all us young men.
The Catholic Church is quite comfortable with fascism.

This has been well known for at least 20 years, remember Mahoney?
Its been going on longer than that.
Most people, including Catholics, have no clue why the church requires a vow of celibacy for the priesthood.
It made sense at one time, (in a way) but it has absolutely no purpose today.

Back