Advice for a n00b?

@Grace T. what kind of 'contract' does a kid have to sign? Assuming I am not the coach, If I pay the fees and he doesn't like it, and we just walk away, what are the repercussions? If I was going to coach him on a U8 team it would be only after I had coached that exact group of kids as all stars in a few tournaments and was satisfied that the kids had good attitudes and parents were like-minded and not psycho (or I would get rid of the ones that are).
Most clubs require the coaches to sign contracts (some of them require the kids to do it too but rarely this young).

While it is not unheard of for teams to go wholesale from all stars to a club, once you do that (with the exception of anything you negotiate in writing with the club such as for example with respect to your kid) you basically lose some control over them. If there's a kid that comes along and tries out that's better than someone on your squad, you'll be hard pressed not to cut them. If there's a player from the A team that needs to move down, you'll be taking them. And if the club wants one of your marquee players for the A team, and the parents are good with them moving, they are poaching them. Unless you get some assurances in writing, any oral assurances are worthless.

@johnny2five I guess its not only about the psycho parents. Yes they exist in every sport at every level, I have seen some crazy things at the little league field even at t-ball level. I guess what I really mean is I want the kid to get to develop as a player and enjoy the game at a "competitive" level (mainly by having the same teammates and coach for a long time) without the hard core focus on results and standings. Can see this split in travel baseball pretty clearly, some teams/clubs are super focused on building better baseball players (and better humans) and some are focused on winning plastic rings every weekend. Maybe there is a middle ground, I guess Ill find out coaching some all stars in a few tournaments with my kid on the roster.

If you're familiar with travel baseball, then it should give you a good baseline for club soccer. A lot of similarities based on the limited exposure to both I have. Some teams focus on getting the gold ring and banners more than others. Some focus on tournaments. Others focus on league play. Some coach details at practice. Others hit balls to the kids and make them run. I've been around travel baseball a little longer than club soccer, but based on my limited exposure to club soccer so far, I actually think there's more development in club soccer than there is in travel baseball at the u-little level. Your trepidation is warranted giving the year-long commitment. Like most things, a little bit of homework will help, but at the end of the day, you still need to take a little bit of a leap and hope for the best.

@Grace T. that all makes sense. I guess I worry a little less about this stuff because like I said, this club only fields 1 team at this level currently and from what I understand they may struggle to keep a very big roster going. I'm sure that changes at the higher age levels, but I still only see 2 teams for each age level all the way up and there are no letter league teams at all. If I got irritated at the whole thing and just said screw it, I'm out, that may suck for the club and the kids, but I don't know that its that big of deal in the grand scheme of things. As I said, I guess Ill see how it goes with this all star group and the tournaments we will play in ... and how my Son likes the experience.

@Carlsbad7 somehow missed your reply up there. I'm in the same area as your handle, so I presume you can figure out which clubs I am talking about :) The only local futsal club/program I know about is the one out at Edenpark, I have some friends whose kids have played there and my son did a few sessions there and totally loved it. Its a bit of a drive to do all the time, but not that bad and its only a few days a week anyway. Do you know of others? Do you know where any Latino leagues play around here (specifically on the coast).

I have several friends whose kids play at a reasonably high level and yes, I do get more info about the youth soccer scene than I really wanted to know sometimes. Many of them have a love/hate relationship with the whole thing, their kids love playing and are quite good, but they say the entire scene is toxic and mainly out to get $ out of your wallet.
I know exactly what clubs you're talking about. ;-)

There's a Futsal club that practices at the Solana Beach B&GC check it out here https://www.socalfutsalclub.com/. Socal Futsal Club tends to be more boy than girls + has both youngers and olders. (Coaches are Sharks)

Athletico San Diego Futsal practices in Eden Park + sometimes at a really nice court in the middle of a condo complex. https://www.instagram.com/atletico_san_diego/?hl=en (Coaches are CitySC)

San Diego futsal is run out of 4S Ranch https://www.sandiegofutsal.com/ (Coaches are Surf)

619 Futsal is in Miramar College and Canyon Crest gym https://619futsal.com/ (Many Surf Players)

There was a Latino league that played in Vista. I belive they're still active https://m.facebook.com/Soccerinvista

I know exactly what clubs you're talking about. ;-)

There's a Futsal club that practices at the Solana Beach B&GC check it out here https://www.socalfutsalclub.com/. Socal Futsal Club tends to be more boy than girls + has both youngers and olders. (Coaches are Sharks)

Athletico San Diego Futsal practices in Eden Park + sometimes at a really nice court in the middle of a condo complex. https://www.instagram.com/atletico_san_diego/?hl=en (Coaches are CitySC)

San Diego futsal is run out of 4S Ranch https://www.sandiegofutsal.com/ (Coaches are Surf)

619 Futsal is in Miramar College and Canyon Crest gym https://619futsal.com/ (Many Surf Players)

There was a Latino league that played in Vista. I belive they're still active https://m.facebook.com/Soccerinvista
If you like arena soccer...
Poway... https://www.sportsplexusa.com/poway_soccer
Poway... https://www.ncspsoccer.com/
Encinitas... The YMCA has 2 arena fields + does tounamants and for fun soccer sessions.

If you like arena soccer...
Poway... https://www.sportsplexusa.com/poway_soccer
Poway... https://www.ncspsoccer.com/
Encinitas... The YMCA has 2 arena fields + does tounamants and for fun soccer sessions.

Thanks for all the links! Didn't realize that Tiffiny's ran their own leagues. I have seen them play matches in SoCal. Ill have to check into it.

As for the clubs up here, we basically have 3 options in the Tri-City area I guess. Each seems to have their plusses and minuses. Still trying to wrap my head around the whole thing and figure out where is the best place for my kid to play if he wants to make this jump.

@Grace T. that all makes sense. I guess I worry a little less about this stuff because like I said, this club only fields 1 team at this level currently and from what I understand they may struggle to keep a very big roster going. I'm sure that changes at the higher age levels, but I still only see 2 teams for each age level all the way up and there are no letter league teams at all. If I got irritated at the whole thing and just said screw it, I'm out, that may suck for the club and the kids, but I don't know that its that big of deal in the grand scheme of things. As I said, I guess Ill see how it goes with this all star group and the tournaments we will play in ... and how my Son likes the experience.

I'll give you some general guardrail type advice for you that can be applied easily without getting too hung up on specifics. For reference, I have three kids. The eldest dabbled in a few rec leagues but was not fond of organized sports in general, the middle child went "all in" on soccer at age 8 and never looked back (still playing in college now), and my youngest who loves all sports, got briefly into soccer, basketball, and football, but now is focusing on lacrosse.

1. Play the long game, not the short game. Keep focused on your "why," your initial purpose for having your kids in organized sports, which you said was to learn how to develop character, work ethic, ability to communicate, teamwork, etc. (which is the absolute BEST reason to do it, IMHO). That can be done in lots of different leagues, regardless of competitive level. There will be times when you're tempted to jump teams or jump leagues for various reasons. Just keep reminding yourself of your "why." Make your decisions on which sport, which league, which club, which team based on which ones fulfill your "why" in the best way.
2. From ages 5-13, it should all be about enjoying the dang thing. Yes, they should be learning and developing skill, but the whole point is to find joy in that process. Don't ever make a kid in that age range continue to do something they aren't enjoying. You and the child will both regret it. Even in ages 14-adult, it really should be all about enjoying the dang thing, too! But as your child ages up and the physical and mental demands increase, the way they find that joy and the price they (and you) have to pay for that joy goes up and up. In high-level club ball, the fitness and training demands can suck the joy away from many. In college, there is no getting away from the grind. It's a full time job. Joy can be had within the grind, but it takes a different kind of mentality. And there's nothing wrong with a kid deciding that the investment/reward proposition isn't working for them anymore. * *Your kid is so young, you don't even want to start thinking about this part of the journey yet.
3. It's worth finding good coaches. I wouldn't recommend continuing to coach your own child. At age 6-8, okay... but honestly, beyond that it's better for both your sanity and his if he has you for a dad, and a coach for a coach. The parent hat and the coach hat are hard to wear simultaneously. This is a tough lesson, but I swear I've never seen it really work out any other way. As for finding "good" coaches, that's a lot tougher than it sounds. There's no one-size fits all. The simple way to know this is if your child enjoys playing for said coach or not. It's not about "liking" the coach, but it's about how much they enjoy playing and learning from them. Kids often won't be able to articulate why they do or don't, but you can see it in their eagerness to play and practice. My personal advice is to stay far away from soccer coaches who talk endlessly about "grit" and "will to win" and get mad/yell at players for poor execution or skill. Demanding more "grit" just means the coach is clueless about soccer strategy/tactics. I've seen a lot of great coaches, and they will yell at you for poor effort, or lack of committment, but they respond to mistakes or skill gaps by coaching and teaching.
4. I asked my kids before re-signing up for every season, "Do you want to do this next year?" Even though I really wanted each of them to say "Yes!", my wife and I promised them that if they said "No," we would honor their right to make that committment or not. BUT, once they'd committed, we would not let them quit on their team in mid season. My college soccer daughter once tried to quit in the middle of her first club GK training because the coach was intimidating. But we'd already paid for the season, and she'd agreed to do the training. So we made her finish the training that night. And told her to give it 2 more GK trainings and then tell us how she feels. After that 3rd session, we asked, "Do you want to keep training?" She said yes, and that GK trainer has now worked with her for 10 years, including now when she comes home from college. She learned the importance of committment and her word, but she also knew that if she wanted to stop the sport after the season, that was always within her control as well.

Good luck! It can be fun... if you decide to let it be fun.

First of all, I’m glad I found this board. I crack up at the snark, wit, sarcasm and been-there-done-that knowledge that is peppered throughout the threads. I’m a total n00b to this scene, so thought I would ask the braintrust for some advice.

A little background on me, I played AYSO and for school in junior high and high school. Parents simply didn’t have $ for club soccer, and I don’t even know if I knew that it was a thing back then. Was never a particularly great player, went off and did other things with my life. Never developed any real passion for the game as a kid. Paid at least some attention to the 94 World Cup, worked in an office with a bunch of euros during the 98 World Cup and discovered I really enjoyed the game and had become pretty bored as a fan of American sports. Started watching PL and CL in the early 2000s and really finally fell in love with the game, have played a bit of pickup over the years blah blah blah.

Fast forward 20 some years and I now have 3 sons. Took my oldest to see a lot of matches (MLS, USMNT etc) when he was a young kid, dragged him to the pub to watch some morning PL matches. He was just never into it. He is a teenager now, and a competitive dinghy sailor and strong rock climber. The middle son aged into youth sports right before the pandemic and through some tough family health issues etc and is now playing catch up with kids his age who have been playing longer, but his sports are baseball and basketball. Lucky me, the youngest one decided he likes the beautiful game.

I have no grand delusions about any of my kids getting college sports scholarships or going pro or even continuing to play sports all their lives. My main goal is to have them learn important life lessons at critical ages through sports. I want them to learn that hard work beats talent that doesn’t work hard … every day of the week and twice on Sundays. I want them to learn that it takes discipline and perseverance to get really good at something. I think they need to learn to be competitive and enjoy winning and also to be gracious in defeat and to let it motivate them to work harder. I want them to be team players and learn to work together with others to achieve common goals. I want them to set realistic goals and work toward them diligently.

With that background, my youngest (a young 2017) started playing youth rec soccer this fall season at a club that has a solid history and fields teams from U8 up to U19 in SoCal but does not have field any letter league sides (I think thats what y’all call ECNL, EAL, MLSNext etc?) and doesn’t seem to be all that ambitious in terms of that level of play. Of course they needed coaches for his age and of course I said yes. I spent a lot of time doing my homework, watched a LOT of YouTube, did as many courses as I could find, read books and articles and tried to get as much advice as I could from experienced coaches. I was terrified of psycho parents, but luckily didn’t have any this season. Definitely have some difficult kids … the disinterested ones … the ones who are know-it-alls but aren’t actually any good … the ones who watch too many videos of their favorite player and are good on the ball but have no sense of the game. I also have quite a few kids who have some talent, are very coachable and have very good attitudes. My son is coachable, has a good attitude, but may not actually have that much talent. Practices are fun, I do a lot of 1v1 stuff, have them spend a lot of time doing Rondo to get comfortable passing and receiving, try to set them up into 3v1 etc to learn about width and space and attacking as a team. It’s been an interesting experience to watch them slowly graduate from playing bumblebee ball to holding their shape and passing the ball up field and every so often making nice crosses and scoring. There are some kids who are not great on the ball, but have learned to defend valiantly and have developed an understanding of the game from the back that the ones that play more up front more may not have. I dont have any standout kids who dominate the game. My kid is just having fun, he spends a lot of time with the ball at his feet outside of practice, trying to develop his technical skills, he likes to watch PL and CL highlights with me and we go to a lot of higher level youth games to watch from the sidelines and kick the ball around. Luckily there is a club near by with MLSNext and EAL sides and so we get to see some reasonably high level play up close.

Our rec team won the first few matches by close scorelines, then got blown away by a few teams with big, tall, fast kids that just put the ball in the back of the net over and over before my kids even knew what was happening. In these last weeks, they have actually started to play real soccer and we have won our last few games and it’s really rewarding to see the smiles on their faces and to see the parents stoked. For some reason, I opened my mouth and asked too many questions of the DOC and guess what, I now get to manage the Rec All stars (7v7) in a few tournaments this fall/winter. I guess my son will be on the team by default even though he is far from all star caliber at this point.

So, where do we go from here? I find I enjoy coaching and trying to get the best out of the kids that are assigned to me regardless of their level of talent (I also help coach my son’s baseball teams). It is really satisfying to see the kids develop, learn to express their creativity and to become more than they believe they can be. I think my son may be a bit overwhelmed playing with older, faster, stronger kids in these tournaments and may not get a lot of playing time if Coach Dad is trying to win. I have registered him for Rec again in the spring, but it sounds like a lot of these all-star teams just graduate straight to competitive as a group along with the coach. It looks like this club only fields teams in the lowest flights at this age level. I can see it being beneficial to my son to play with better players, but worry about his confidence. I have taken him to a few futsal classes and he really enjoyed it, wish there were more a little closer to home.

What would folks who have been on this journey longer recommend for me and him? Again, keeping the larger goals in mind.

Thanks in advance!
I’ve been following this thread. Time to comment.
Futsal, futsal and more futsal from the youngest age possible up to 14 yrs old. That’s for fun and development. The futsal links posted above from Carlsbad are legit. Check it out. Eden Park is a fantastic facility, and the 619 Futsal program run by Sean Bowers at Alliance and 4S is always a good fit.
Ditch the AYSO asap and move your developing player into a legit club system. Yep, you grew up having a soccer background, but unless you played at the college D1 level or higher, you are only inhibiting the development of your youth player. Sorry, it is the truth.
I highly recommend Mario at Surf. Go to a training session, and you will see the difference right away.

If your kid likes soccer and can’t get enough of it, you can join club and continue to play AYSO.
Colleges don’t give out full soccer scholarships. Most D1 players are getting a quarter scholarship. D1 soccer gets thrown around a lot. There are 245 schools with D1 programs. Would you let your kid go to a 245 academically ranked school just so he can play D1? If you aren’t UCLA D1, you haven’t done anything special.
My point is just play soccer for fun. Do well in school.

The thing about futsal, arena, mexican leagues, 7v7, etc is that they're typically played on a smaller field. It means each player gets more touches on the ball in a shorter amout of time. The more players touch the ball the more they get to practice skills both offensive and defensive. An additional thing about "other" than field types of soccer is that it breaks down barriers + let's anyone play with anyone some coaches call this free play. In club soccer players are split up and grouped by age, gender, and perceived talent level. Other types of soccer don't really care about age gender or skill level it's more about just having fun. Here's some examples... In Futsal if you're a girl + really good coaches generally have no issues playing with boys. Coaches also aren't as rigid with older players playing down with younger players if they're just starting out + learning how to play. Also also playing up 1-2 years is common if you're a top player. Imagine what happens to top players. Not only are you getting more touches that field but you're also playing up against stronger and faster players. This is where the "futsal effect" really becomes obvious. When I watch a 7v7 or 9v9 field game I can tell which players are doing futsal 90% of the time. Coaches and recruiters can tell who's playing Futsal with near 100% accuracy.

If your kid likes soccer and can’t get enough of it, you can join club and continue to play AYSO.
Colleges don’t give out full soccer scholarships. Most D1 players are getting a quarter scholarship. D1 soccer gets thrown around a lot. There are 245 schools with D1 programs. Would you let your kid go to a 245 academically ranked school just so he can play D1? If you aren’t UCLA D1, you haven’t done anything special.
My point is just play soccer for fun. Do well in school.

Yeah, college isn't even on my mind here (or professional soccer to be clear). The US College soccer (local D1 schools) I have watched is really pretty low quality soccer to be very honest. I generally see better, more tactically mature play in the upper ages of MLSNext.

Not sure why AYSO keeps coming up here? I played AYSO as a kid, but my kid is currently finishing play in a Rec league associated with a long established club (almost as old as I am). Its just that that club is not super big and isn't that ambitious (i.e. doesn't field letter league sides) compared to some nearby local clubs. The question is whether we make the leap to the competitive side of that club or continue on the rec path for at least another year.

After reading all these comments and talking to more people offline, I think the best place for his development at this age is probably to be found in the futsal scene. I asked him last night what he thought of the few times I have taken him to play futsal and he said that was probably the most fun he had playing. And I'm on the same page with ALL of you that fun is priority #1 at his age ... and if he can have fun developing his technical skills, all the better.

@Carlsbad7 and others, what do you guys know about the Samba Futsal club that trains at Edenpark? Thats where I have taken him before. It doesn't appear to have the same connections to the club scene that the other futsal clubs down south do, but its closer to where we live.

Appreciate all the insight!

Yeah, college isn't even on my mind here (or professional soccer to be clear). The US College soccer (local D1 schools) I have watched is really pretty low quality soccer to be very honest. I generally see better, more tactically mature play in the upper ages of MLSNext.

Not sure why AYSO keeps coming up here? I played AYSO as a kid, but my kid is currently finishing play in a Rec league associated with a long established club (almost as old as I am). Its just that that club is not super big and isn't that ambitious (i.e. doesn't field letter league sides) compared to some nearby local clubs. The question is whether we make the leap to the competitive side of that club or continue on the rec path for at least another year.

After reading all these comments and talking to more people offline, I think the best place for his development at this age is probably to be found in the futsal scene. I asked him last night what he thought of the few times I have taken him to play futsal and he said that was probably the most fun he had playing. And I'm on the same page with ALL of you that fun is priority #1 at his age ... and if he can have fun developing his technical skills, all the better.

@Carlsbad7 and others, what do you guys know about the Samba Futsal club that trains at Edenpark? Thats
where I have taken him before. It doesn't appear to have the same connections to the club scene that the other futsal clubs down south do, but its closer to where we live.

Appreciate all the insight!
Samba is fine, but I recommend you checkout out different futsal clubs so you can see how they differ.

Some clubs are more about team play others are more about individual skills and others are more just for having fun.

It all depends on what your kid wants to do. Is their goal to play on the top boys team in SD? If yes it would make sense to start making connections with coaches in those clubs. It would also make sense to play futsal with coaches that are involved with the club scene.

Your kid's 6, right? At this point there's no need to spend big money. You've got a good gig there where you can spend quality time with your kid and it's not costing you an arm and a leg. Embrace it, and don't dismiss AYSO as a second option either. Just get your kid playing with some light coaching.

Samba is fine, but I recommend you checkout out different futsal clubs so you can see how they differ.

Some clubs are more about team play others are more about individual skills and others are more just for having fun.

It all depends on what your kid wants to do. Is their goal to play on the top boys team in SD? If yes it would make sense to start making connections with coaches in those clubs. It would also make sense to play futsal with coaches that are involved with the club scene.
Thanks @Carlsbad7

I looked at some of the schedules for the other clubs, we will probably try one of the of the spring programs out at 4S on friday's and get back to going to samba a few times a week for now. Was cool to see his face light up when I asked him about futsal. He says he really liked it! The other thing he has really enjoyed is just playing pickup on the sidelines of the higher level (EAL, MLSNext) games we go to see with the siblings of older players. Wish there was more opportunity for this kind of thing.

Your kid's 6, right? At this point there's no need to spend big money. You've got a good gig there where you can spend quality time with your kid and it's not costing you an arm and a leg. Embrace it, and don't dismiss AYSO as a second option either. Just get your kid playing with some light coaching.

Yeah, he is 6, he doesn't know what he "wants to do", he just wants to play every single day with other kids and is now pretty bummed that this is their last game on Saturday and no practice next week. He lives for practice/game days right now. He was pretty bummed that we didn't have practice last night because of halloween.

As for coaching, I've personally tried to adopt the strategy of not actually doing all that much 'coaching' when I run practices, I try to setup situations where they can learn on their own and feel free to just try things and see how they work out. I do a lot of 1v1 stuff, have the kids do rondo and play small sided games. I ask them a lot of questions.

Thanks again for all the wisdom!

he just wants to play every single day with other kids and is now pretty bummed that this is their last game on Saturday and no practice next week.

No reason to stop playing 'cause the season ended. Just put the word out that the kids are playing pickup at a certain place and certain time and make it a regular thing. I've had a regular adult pickup game with friends for years and we'll add our kids to the mix once they're mature enough (and won't cry if they get hit by a rogue rocket of a shot). A lot of those kids have grown up and gone on to play at college, which we fully take credit for, LOL.

Six is too young for that, of course, but I let my own kids play occasionally when they hit 10 and my oldest is now pretty regular just turned 13. Playing soccer with my kids is the highlight of my week.

I didn't read all the replies (skimmed through some) so apologize if this is a repeat:

At the youngest ages, I would let the kids play futsal or anywhere he can get a lot of touches on the ball. (It sounds like you're in SD? In OC, I was going to recommend OC Premier and in LA, Toque)

I would however leave rec soccer. You don't have to chase down the biggest best club that's 45 minutes away but I'd have to start at a local club at the highest team he can join where he's still be one of the main guys. That'll help with confidence and also be with like-minded kids (who enjoy soccer and consider it as their "main" sport) that'll help with his development.

Then you reassess every season. I would caution against evaluating week to week or month to month as I've seen some parents do. I think we've got to look at our kids' development year to year and see if this team/coach/club made him or her a better player than a year ago.

Depending on you and your kid's goals, I think you have to make decisions around 10-12 years old. If the kids progresses and college soccer or beyond is a possibility, I think you got to move to a bigger clubs in SoCal for visibility and competition. Theoretically, you can move when you're 14-15 years old too... but I just think that's much much harder unless your kid is exceptional talent...

I would however leave rec soccer. You don't have to chase down the biggest best club that's 45 minutes away but I'd have to start at a local club at the highest team he can join where he's still be one of the main guys. That'll help with confidence and also be with like-minded kids (who enjoy soccer and consider it as their "main" sport) that'll help with his development.

Thats the real issue here. He is young 6. There are no U7 team at the club he is playing rec at. There is 1 U8 team. As I said in the original post, I'm going to take the all stars from their U8 rec league and coach them at some tournaments in the fall/winter, I get to choose the team, but based on the kids we played in the rec season, those will probably all be tall, big, fast kids who are older 7 year olds. He will likely come practice play with this all star team for the next few months, but I'm not sure he wont be in over his head. He can try out for the 1 U8 side, I don't think he would get selected at his stage of development.

Anyway, definitely going to take him to lots more futsal. Thats my biggest takeaway from these responses. He really just wants to play all the time and seems like I can get him playing futsal at least 3 days a week and he should have lots of fun. Will consider the rest of the situation more in a few months. Thanks again!

At the young ages the best thing you can do is to get the kids to fall in love with the ball. Pick up a copy of Tom Byer - Soccer Starts at home. If you are going to keep coaching and you have lots of low level kids on your team, look up passive pressure drills (sharks and minnows etc.). Make sure every kid has a ball, avoid drills with long lines of kids standing around, you can even throw passing out the window just worry about ball mastery. Plenty of resources available out there, good luck!

At the young ages the best thing you can do is to get the kids to fall in love with the ball. Pick up a copy of Tom Byer - Soccer Starts at home. If you are going to keep coaching and you have lots of low level kids on your team, look up passive pressure drills (sharks and minnows etc.). Make sure every kid has a ball, avoid drills with long lines of kids standing around, you can even throw passing out the window just worry about ball mastery. Plenty of resources available out there, good luck!
This is exactly why my kid is doing club AND AYSO. He needs the freedom to dribble 5 players from one end of the field to the other. In club, unless you are already a superb dribbler, you are discouraged to dribble and always look for pass first. Discourage dribbling is detrimental to development at younger ages. And most importantly, it’s fun to dribble 5 players and score 5 goals a game. I have taken him to flight 1 tryouts, some of these players forget how to play 1v1. They are good at doing 1-2s and send the ball down the field. But in a pinch, they can’t dribble their way out of it.

This is exactly why my kid is doing club AND AYSO. He needs the freedom to dribble 5 players from one end of the field to the other. In club, unless you are already a superb dribbler, you are discouraged to dribble and always look for pass first. Discourage dribbling is detrimental to development at younger ages. And most importantly, it’s fun to dribble 5 players and score 5 goals a game. I have taken him to flight 1 tryouts, some of these players forget how to play 1v1. They are good at doing 1-2s and send the ball down the field. But in a pinch, they can’t dribble their way out of it.

Typical American Soccer response!! If you want to play at a high level players to play quick and understand how to pass. I doubt you were watching that happen on a flight 1 team. For the most part club soccer in our country has no idea how to play passing the ball or how to keep it on the floor. If you find a coach that plays that way, stay with them!!!

Work on first touch, play wall ball everyday, learn how to turn and release the ball quickly and how to hit the ball hard with accuracy every time.

That's the best thing you can do with your kid!!!!

Back