2017-2018 D1 Women's Soccer Talk!

Hey Speed, how's your kid doing? Back in action?
Unfortunately, we received the news we feared the most; she has both a torn MCL and ACL. She will require two separate surgeries; they will first repair her MCL tomorrow morning and then 6 weeks later perform an ACL reconstruction. Needless to say, she is angry, scared and utterly devastated. Other than birth and death, I cannot think of a situation where one could go from the highest of highs, achieving and living out one's dream, only to have it taken from you in an instant. Her mom, siblings and I have never felt such sorrow for one of our own until now.

She needs all the physical, spiritual and emotional support she can get right now and we feel blessed that she is at such a uniquely special place as Pepperdine. The amount of support she and we have received already from parents, players and the coaching staff has been incredible.

Medically, she is under the absolute best care possible as Dr. Mandelbaum is the team physician for the L.A. Galaxy and U.S. Men's National soccer teams. He has assured Devyn that he can and will fully repair her knee, that she will make it back onto the field next season and that she will be even stronger than before.

The last few days have been like a bad dream that you just want to wake up and get out of. Unfortunately, this is our new reality. I don't wish this on any player or their parents. It hurts so badly to see your kid go through something like this. Even more so when you can't do anything to help her (as we as parents are typically quick to do). It won't be easy but between our faith in God, support from her teammates and coaches coupled with Devyn's determination to get back on the field, I know she'll make it back on the pitch better than ever.

If you do one thing tonight, text or hug your DD and let them know that you are proud of them as young women and that you love them. As a parent, soccer doesn't seem like such a big deal anymore when something like this happens.

Unfortunately, we received the news we feared the most; she has both a torn MCL and ACL. She will require two separate surgeries; they will first repair her MCL tomorrow morning and then 6 weeks later perform an ACL reconstruction. Needless to say, she is angry, scared and utterly devastated. Other than birth and death, I cannot think of a situation where one could go from the highest of highs, achieving and living out one's dream, only to have it taken from you in an instant. Her mom, siblings and I have never felt such sorrow for one of our own until now.

She needs all the physical, spiritual and emotional support she can get right now and we feel blessed that she is at such a uniquely special place as Pepperdine. The amount of support she and we have received already from parents, players and the coaching staff has been incredible.

Medically, she is under the absolute best care possible as Dr. Mandelbaum is the team physician for the L.A. Galaxy and U.S. Men's National soccer teams. He has assured Devyn that he can and will fully repair her knee, that she will make it back onto the field next season and that she will be even stronger than before.

The last few days have been like a bad dream that you just want to wake up and get out of. Unfortunately, this is our new reality. I don't wish this on any player or their parents. It hurts so badly to see your kid go through something like this. Even more so when you can't do anything to help her (as we as parents are typically quick to do). It won't be easy but between our faith in God, support from her teammates and coaches coupled with Devyn's determination to get back on the field, I know she'll make it back on the pitch better than ever.

If you do one thing tonight, text or hug your DD and let them know that you are proud of them as young women and that you love them. As a parent, soccer doesn't seem like such a big deal anymore when something like this happens.
Oh, man! I absolutely hate to hear this. Your words hit home and every one of us feels for you and your kid right now. As a parent, this is where you earn your stripes. It's easy to brag on or support your kid when she's on top of the world, but to watch them go through this sort of thing and be their strength when they are suffering . . . all I can say is she's fortunate to have such a good foundation. All my best wishes for a full and complete recovery.

Oh man, thoughts and prayers go out to you guys.
Speedy recovery.

You had me at "Unfortunately...." and I seriously started to tear up for you daughter (don't even know you guys personally, but this is where our socal soccer community is quite small-- we all understand and support one another)...so so sorry...thinking of her and your family now--prayers for a healthy, strong and full recovery!!

You had me at "Unfortunately...." and I seriously started to tear up for you daughter (don't even know you guys personally, but this is where our socal soccer community is quite small-- we all understand and support one another)...so so sorry...thinking of her and your family now--prayers for a healthy, strong and full recovery!!
Me too, all of us could be in this situation at any time.
There was another Pepperdine girl carried off Sunday, any news on her?
She is a center back I believe.

Anything you guys need, let us know.
The Waves are gonna miss her on the field this season, no doubt, but she'll be back with a vengeance, Im sure.
Great post from a great Pepperdine dad.

Unfortunately, we received the news we feared the most; she has both a torn MCL and ACL. She will require two separate surgeries; they will first repair her MCL tomorrow morning and then 6 weeks later perform an ACL reconstruction. Needless to say, she is angry, scared and utterly devastated.

So bummed when my player told me the news :( We have had the ACL injury in our family and our player came back as good as new, stronger and smarter. The biggest challenge here is going to be mental...rising above the disappointment and fear and approaching rehab with the same zest as attacking the goal! We are all rooting for her! I'm counting the months to see her back in action!

@SpeedK1llz My best wishes go out to your player and your family. It is truly terrible when an injury like this occurs. Your daughter has been and will continue to be in my prayers. God doesn't give us any challenge that we cannot handle. If your daughter is anything like you and your wife, she will be back on the pitch better than ever. My condolences to your player and your family.

Speed...My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours...
When my player was at Pepperdine she too had a season ending injury as a freshman. She suffered her injury a few days before the first game of the season.
She was to start that game and her freshman season at center back.
I know the pain and disappointment your player and indeed your entire family are feeling and the helplessness you feel as a parent.
Stay positive, stay involved with the team and know that this will pass, she will get better and stronger than ever.
Your player will be back, mine returned her sophomore year played in 81 games over her career, starting 80 in row, rarely leaving the pitch...
Thank you very much for your post. God Bless...Roll Waves!

No doubt we all are with you....I mainly lurk this ridiculous forum, but feel for you and your kid. She is an exceptional player butwill return every bit as good. Stay strong....God Bless

Back