2003 National Cup Round Two... Thoughts?

Now I heard the referees were awesome. I heard they played some incredible defense and had many quality shots on goal and controlled the flow of the game.

Usually the parents of 15's and above have matured and have stopped blaming the refs for their kid's team's loss. Lets take a shot at what club G03_SD is associated with based on the bad referee comment. I can rule out the SDSC teams since those two coaches, Pete and Raffi, would normally not put up with parents yelling at or blaming a ref for the team's loss, although Raffi can get loud at times. I have never heard coach Talia at SWSC or Brett at LAGSD say anything bad about refs or blame them for a loss. That basically leaves OVC, SD United and Rebels. Ryan at Rebels is a quality coach and I have heard him tell his players to not blame a loss on the refs so it is probably not his team, but the parents do not always listen to him. That leaves OVC and SD United. Coach Will at OVC is usually level headed and calm, but OVC sidelines can get crazy. I have seen some batshit crazy parents on those SD United sidelines. My guess would be that G08_SD is a parent of either SD United or OVC with Rebels being my third guess.
Wow ok I didn't blame any refs for any losses. Defensive much?
There were plenty of times AR did not keep up with play and missed off-side calls. After the game, I brought up an example when the play was near the goal and AR was still standing at the midfield line, the response was "it's a learning experience". And when players from both teams asked why calls were made and the CR told them to stop asking questions and let them do their job. Sure there are plenty of good refs out there, but we didn't get a decent crew this weekend.

Now I heard the referees were awesome. I heard they played some incredible defense and had many quality shots on goal and controlled the flow of the game.

Usually the parents of 15's and above have matured and have stopped blaming the refs for their kid's team's loss. Lets take a shot at what club G03_SD is associated with based on the bad referee comment. I can rule out the SDSC teams since those two coaches, Pete and Raffi, would normally not put up with parents yelling at or blaming a ref for the team's loss, although Raffi can get loud at times. I have never heard coach Talia at SWSC or Brett at LAGSD say anything bad about refs or blame them for a loss. That basically leaves OVC, SD United and Rebels. Ryan at Rebels is a quality coach and I have heard him tell his players to not blame a loss on the refs so it is probably not his team, but the parents do not always listen to him. That leaves OVC and SD United. Coach Will at OVC is usually level headed and calm, but OVC sidelines can get crazy. I have seen some batshit crazy parents on those SD United sidelines. My guess would be that G08_SD is a parent of either SD United or OVC with Rebels being my third guess.

If you really do your detective work and look back through G03_SD's previous posts you'll see posts about openings for players on SDSD Orange G2003 last year.

We had one great ref team and one not so great center referee (the ARs were fine) who seemed to be on another planet (like seriously he was in lala land - his head was anywhere but in the game), but their calls or non calls did not impact the outcome of the games. In general I don't believe referees win or lose games for teams.

I am not an OVC parent, but I did catch some of one of their games this weekend and they were able to pull off a win despite the refs, so kudos to them. The center ref was one of those rare referees that made the game all about himself - I'm sure we all know the type. And I by no means mean any offense to referees, b/c I know it's a thankless job.

Last edited:

I think the poster in question has advertised SDSC events in the past.

EDIT: Duh, I didn't realize there were follow-on messages.

Last edited:
I was able to catch a few games on Sunday.
Weather was as good as you can expect from Norco. Wind was present but didn't seem to affect the game.
Seems that the higher ranked teams responded on Sunday.

Some quick innocent observations and friendly questions...
Group A - Going as planned, Eagles and SDSC set to play for second.
Group B - Olimpus making things interesting and stretching it out till the third game, making rest of this bracket work to get to the next round.
Group C - SDSC rolling, should take on Slammers VT. Will Galaxy OC bring a keeper?
Group D - Still up for grabs between CZ Elite and Slammers Larsen. Which CV team will show up this weekend?
Group E - Should be a good game between Beach teams. Did Sudyka's team use up all their goals in first round?
Group F - Top two teams set to lock horns to determine F1 and F2. Eclipse wasn't able to make a difference.
Group G - Very tight group, other than SWSC's 4 goals against Galaxy DPL, very little scoring in this group. Could Lohn's big striker be the difference?
Group H - In this group, Hawks too strong, big test this weekend for ACBrea. Really enjoyed the way Real Madrid touches and hustles, could sneak into next round.

Good recap. I would agree with you with the games I saw. Lots of good games going on. A few surprises to me at least. A few brackets up in the air until next week. Brea could grab that bracket if they pull out the win.

We had one great ref team and one not so great center referee (the ARs were fine) who seemed to be on another planet (like seriously he was in lala land - his head was anywhere but in the game), but their calls or non calls did not impact the outcome of the games. In general I don't believe referees win or lose games for teams.

I am not an OVC parent, but I did catch some of one of their games this weekend and they were able to pull off a win despite the refs, so kudos to them. The center ref was one of those rare referees that made the game all about himself - I'm sure we all know the type. And I by no means mean any offense to referees, b/c I know it's a thankless job.

I heard from someone that I trust that the referee in one of the OVC games misapplied Law 14 (Penalty Kick). Evidently the referee called encroachment on the kicking team and the ball went into the goal. The referee incorrectly awarded the other team a goal kick. The correct restart should have been to retake the PK. OVC won so the goal did not affect the outcome but could affect goal differential.

I heard from someone that I trust that the referee in one of the OVC games misapplied Law 14 (Penalty Kick). Evidently the referee called encroachment on the kicking team and the ball went into the goal. The referee incorrectly awarded the other team a goal kick. The correct restart should have been to retake the PK. OVC won so the goal did not affect the outcome but could affect goal differential.

Yep - that's the ref to whom I was referring.

I was there and that did happen. The kick was against OVC, which ended up winning 3-1. I have to tip my hat to the sideline of the team (Cresenta Valley SC) that it went against. Most sidelines would have rioted. They and their coach kept their cool.

It is important to point out that there is no guarantee that the retake would have been made. Had it been made, all else being the same, the game would have been 3-2 in favor of OVC.

It doesn't look like goal differential will be a factor for either team. CVSC can't advance and OVC needs to win to advance and there would be no tiebreaker.

That was a pretty bad mis-application of the LOTG. At first I thought that there must have been some sort of feint.

OK. Tech has totally abandoned the 03's so I'll give this a shot. I probably made a few mistakes here because I really only care about what happens in 2 of the brackets...

Group A

IE Surf Premier TS hasn’t lost a game since last summer and has 1st in the group locked up. The winner of Eagles vs SDSC Orange will get second. Their game kicks off at 10:40. Eagles will advance with a tie due to lower goals against. Can anyone beat Surf? The bottom side of the bracket (opposite from them) will look pretty good!!

Group B

Olimpus FC 03 Premier and LAG SD Academy II are currently tied with 4 points each and a win or tie for either would ensure advancement. CDA Slammers Whittier has 3 points and needs to beat Galaxy to advance.

Group C

SDSC Navy leads Slammers FC VT by 2 points. Slammers can win the group with a win over SDSC at 2pm. LAG OC Premier can sneak into second with a win VS SD United Black and A Slammers loss if the goal differential totals 6 or more between the 2 games.

Group D

CZ Elite Cherif and CDA Slammers HB Larsen are tied with 4 points each, with CZ having the GD tie breaker. OVC 03 Vejar has to beat CZ to advance and can win the group with a CDA loss/tie vs CVSC White.

Group E

Beach FC LB DPL leads with 6 points over Pateadores Reserve Academy and Beach FC LB Sudyka, each with 3. Pats and Beach Sudyka are tied all across the board. Beach DPL will advance with a win or tie, even probably with a loss. Pats will advance with a win/tie and the other Beach losing. Lots of scenarios here and I don’t feel like hashing them all out. The games play at 10:40 field 13 and 14.

Group F

Legends FC Academy II will advance and has 6 points over West Side Breakers Elite’s 4. They play and if a Breakers loss with a Simi Valley Eclipse win combines by 3 in GD it will put Eclipse in second over the Breakers.

Group G

SWSC Elite has 6 and Beach SB Lohn and Murrieta Surf White each with 3 and tied across the board. It would take a massive loss and big win by Beach to make up the GD and put SWSC out. SWSC plays Surf and Beach plays LAG DPL.

Group H

Hawks Academy has 6 and will advance. They play AC Brea Red, which has 4 points. If Brea wins they will win the group. If a Brea loss and SD Real Madrid win combines with GD of 5 favorable to Real Madrid, they will jump Brea for second.

My top 4 when the 2nd round started were IE Surf, Beach DPL (was Demelo), SDSC Navy, and Hawks. I still think those are the teams to beat. I was interested to see how Cvsc and SD United would do. I was surprised at some of their results. The four top teams were all close in CRL and all had close games with surf. When Surf is on point, they will be tough to beat. But as someone else said earlier, these are teenage girls we are talking about, and each of those four teams can beat, or get beat by each other on any given day. Surf has the experience of last season’s wild ride to the finals. Good luck to all

Once again, I don't know if I got all this right. I really only care about 1 team and Cal-South apparently has decided to put the canopies away instead of updating the last 3 games.

If I made a mistake let me know and I'll correct it if anyone cares. Actual elimination bracket is here (link)

Good luck to all that advanced!!

Group A
IE Surf Premier TS hasn’t lost a game since last summer and has 1st in the group locked up. The winner of Eagles vs SDSC Orange will get second. Their game kicks off at 10:40. Eagles will advance with a tie due to lower goals against. Can anyone beat Surf? The bottom side of the bracket (opposite from them) will look pretty good!!
Surf took 1st and SDSC Orange beat Eagles 3-1 to take second.
IE Surf TS vs Rebels and SDSC vs Beach LB DPL

Group B
Olimpus FC 03 Premier and LAG SD Academy II are currently tied with 4 points each and a win or tie for either would ensure advancement. CDA Slammers Whittier has 3 points and needs to beat Galaxy to advance.
I messed this one up. Olimpus beat Slammers Whittier 2-1 in game 3. LA Galaxy SD Williams Academy II beat Real So Cal SCV to give both teams 7 points. Olimpus squeaks into first with one more in goal differential.
Olimpus FC 03 vs West Side Breakers Elite and LA Galaxy SD Academy II vs Legends Academy II

Group C
SDSC Navy leads Slammers FC VT by 2 points. Slammers can win the group with a win over SDSC at 2pm. LAG OC Premier can sneak into second with a win VS SD United Black and A Slammers loss if the goal differential totals 6 or more between the 2 games.
SDSC Navy won all 3 games with Slammers and LA Galaxy OC tying at 4 points each. Slammers save the brand by advancing in second with GD.
SDSC G03 Academy Navy vs Beach SB Lohn and Slammers FC VT vs SWSC Taila

Group D
CZ Elite Cherif and CDA Slammers HB Larsen are tied with 4 points each, with CZ having the GD tie breaker. OVC 03 Vejar has to beat CZ to advance and can win the group with a CDA loss/tie vs CVSC White.
OVC 03 Vejar beat CZ Elite 1-0 to earn 6 total points and coupled with a CDA Slammers HB Larsen loss put OVC in first and CZ Elite and Slammers tied with 4 points. A +1 GD gives second to CZ Elite (Slammers -2).
OVC G03 Vejar vs SD Real Madrid and CZ Elite Cherif vs Hawks Academy

Group E
Beach FC LB DPL leads with 6 points over Pateadores Reserve Academy and Beach FC LB Sudyka, each with 3. Pats and Beach Sudyka are tied all across the board. Beach DPL will advance with a win or tie, even probably with a loss. Pats will advance with a win/tie and the other Beach losing. Lots of scenarios here and I don’t feel like hashing them all out. The games play at 10:40 field 13 and 14.
Beach LB DPL won all 3 games with the other 3 teams splitting all their matches and tying with 3 points each. Pats ended up losing to Rebels G03 Elite who jumped into second. Ups to Beach LB DPL for not sandbagging for the tie to get their sister team in.
Beach LB DPL vs SDSC Orange and Rebels vs IE Surf

Group F
Legends FC Academy II will advance and has 6 points over West Side Breakers Elite’s 4. They play and if a Breakers loss with a Simi Valley Eclipse win combines by 3 in GD it will put Eclipse in second over the Breakers.
Breakers ended up losing, but Eclipse lost to BYSC Corona so it ended where the weekend started with Legends Academy II in first and Breakers in second.
Legends FC Academy II vs LA Galaxy SD Academy II and Westside Breakers vs Olimpus FC 03

Group G
SWSC Elite has 6 and Beach SB Lohn and Murrieta Surf White each with 3 and tied across the board. It would take a massive loss and big win by Beach to make up the GD and put SWSC out. SWSC plays Surf and Beach plays LAG DPL.
Fusion er Notts er GPS er SWSC. Whatever you call them, they're good and won all 3 group games and the other 3 teams had 1 win each. Beach SB Lohn ended up stumbling into second with the best GD (-2!!).
SWSC Taila vs Slammers FC VT and Beach SB Lohn vs SDSC G03 Academy Navy

Group H
Hawks Academy has 6 and will advance. They play AC Brea Red, which has 4 points. If Brea wins they will win the group. If a Brea loss and SD Real Madrid win combines with GD of 5 favorable to Real Madrid, they will jump Brea for second.
Hawks beat AC Brea Red 2-0 for first. A SD Real Madrid 6-0 win over SMUFC gives Madrid GD for second over Brea. From the dead!!
Hawks Academy vs CZ Elite and SD Real Madrid vs OVC G03 Vejar.

Gopher your putting some time into this! It’s appreciated. Damn hot today and some decent games going on. Some teams are back from the dead, and some let it slip. It’s go time now!

“Cal-South apparently has decided to put the canopies away”, you saw canopies Cal South provided? Saw lots of team canopies, but pretty bad on cal south for not providing canopies. Saw several teams benches holding umbrellas.

“Cal-South apparently has decided to put the canopies away”, you saw canopies Cal South provided? Saw lots of team canopies, but pretty bad on cal south for not providing canopies. Saw several teams benches holding umbrellas.

Totally agree. How about silverlake canopies? Why weren't that available?

Win or go home time. All games should be pretty good. As far as upsets go, I predict that all losing teams will be pretty upset come Saturday afternoon.

Back