2003 National Cup Round Two... Thoughts?

My gut says IE Surf vs Legends in the final.

IE Surf have been the favorites all along, they had a couple of close calls this weekend, but have yet to break. Either they'll finally stumble against SDSC or they're going to blow the doors off and score a few goals in route to the finals.

Legends just seems to have a lot of momentum right now and they tend to shine on the big stage, I think they edge out Hawks.

I’m going to say IE Surf vs Hawks final. Surf was a bit sloppy this weekend. Saturday they had numerous shots hit the top crossbar or sail a bit wide. But they were able to tough it out against two teams who came to play. The Hawks team has some good players, and they weathered the storm against a good SWSC squad. The SWSC goalie was on fire, I saw her make two awesome saves on point blank shots. SDSC is a really good team and I think whoever wins the Surf vs SDSC game will take it home.

SDSC should have closed out the game yesterday first half when we had many opps to put the ball in the back of the net. We came to National Cup with 11-12 players and fending off a physical game against Beach Saturday did a number to our girls. Legends got a PK with 5 mins left to win the game. Their 1st goal was questionable offside as well. Defender said she kept the player off.

That was a good win against Beach. I did not see the game but beach is a good team .

Having played Hawks (Nov), IE Surf, Legends and knowing our Navy team, I'd say Surf/Navy game can go either way; and unless Hawks has an extremely off day, they should be in the Finals.

... Their 1st goal was questionable offside as well. Defender said she kept the player off.

It looks like the defender may have been trying to keep the player off, but the ball may have kept her on (player is question is the one nearest the penalty mark)...Legends vs SDSC OS Consideration.JPG

It looks like the defender may have been trying to keep the player off, but the ball may have kept her on (player is question is the one nearest the penalty mark)...View attachment 2585

Unless you are in the AR's position (either lined up with the second to last defender or the ball whichever is closer to the goal line) and looking across the field there is no way to accurately tell is the player was offside when the ball is played by the attacker.

It definitely changed the game when the referee got into the players passing lane near midfield and got hit and defected the ball to a Legends player. The SDSC player would more than likely have stolen the pass from the Legends player. Ref, get out of the passing lane!!!!!

It looks like the defender may have been trying to keep the player off, but the ball may have kept her on (player is question is the one nearest the penalty mark)...View attachment 2585
Pretty tough to tell for sure. But definitely willing to give the benefit of the doubt.
A question for clarification: is the player offside if they are not involved in the initial play? The player receiving the ball was onside.

Also it looks looks kind of like that offside trap backfired. The midfield was calling for it like they were expecting it from behind the play.

We've been on the wrong side of some of those. I feel for you.

IE Surf has competed and fared very well over several DA2 teams throughout CRL and National Cup.

In some showcases and tournaments last year they had beat some ECNL and at the time "to be" DA teams.

Having seen the 03 ECNL and DA / DA2 teams throughout the year, I can confidently say IE Surf would be in the top half of the ECNL table and mid table in DA. IE Surf had applied for ECNL earlier this year and I imagine will apply again next year as they look to capitalize on an upward trend they've had the past few years with the 03-07 age groups.

I agree with you. Keep in mind it is all conjecture. Surf beat Heat Ecnl in November at Surf showcase. They then beat OV Toros who beat Heat at Lv Showcase. Prior to Da, they split wins with "to be" Da, LAGSD, Albion, and beat West Coast. How many players from those teams went on to be on the DA teams for those clubs I don't know. I think they would be at least middle of the pack for ECNL and Da. Like any other team of teenage girls, they could beat the first place team one day, and lose to the last place team the next. I would say Hawks is about the same level or a shade under since they have not beat surf.

Pretty tough to tell for sure. But definitely willing to give the benefit of the doubt.
A question for clarification: is the player offside if they are not involved in the initial play? The player receiving the ball was onside.

Also it looks looks kind of like that offside trap backfired. The midfield was calling for it like they were expecting it from behind the play.

We've been on the wrong side of some of those. I feel for you.
I have no idea why the video paused and zoomed in when it did, the offside play consideration was a couple seconds later. When the video was paused the winger appears to be in an on-side position and touches the ball, resetting the position of the other players. It doesn't matter that the player who ultimately scores the goal may have been in an offside position when the ball was passed wide, she never was involved in the play before an on-side team-mate touches the ball.

The image I posted was from when the ball was shot from and appears to be the only chance that an offside infraction may have occurred. The goalkeeper made a save which isn't considered a deliberate play on the ball, so the moment of judgement with respect to the players side is when the ball was struck by the winger. It is very possible that she was on side when the shot was taken. The other player near the goal was clearly on-side and never became involved in the play anyways.

Certainly can't make a judgment based on the camera angle. It would be easier on a football field, because there are a lot of lines to help determine relative depth down field.

Surf Ref said it. The only grip I'd have if I were rooting for the White team is that the referee got involved in the play by blocking what appeared to be a great counter attack opportunity.

I trust she felt awful about it. I

I agree with you. Keep in mind it is all conjecture. Surf beat Heat Ecnl in November at Surf showcase. They then beat OV Toros who beat Heat at Lv Showcase. Prior to Da, they split wins with "to be" Da, LAGSD, Albion, and beat West Coast. How many players from those teams went on to be on the DA teams for those clubs I don't know. I think they would be at least middle of the pack for ECNL and Da. Like any other team of teenage girls, they could beat the first place team one day, and lose to the last place team the next. I would say Hawks is about the same level or a shade under since they have not beat surf.
Based on what I've seen of the ecnl teams I believe that Surf would be right up there with Arsenal and the like. Ecnl is great but there are many middle of the road teams in that pack just like in premier or scdsl or dev pilot or what ever the hell else they package themselves as. But I guess well never know until they meet up. Or they get in to ecnl. What I know for sure is that surf is a team that been together as a group for a long time. Team chemistry and experience is a major plus when things get tough

....The image I posted was from when the ball was shot from and appears to be the only chance that an offside infraction may have occurred. The goalkeeper made a save which isn't considered a deliberate play on the ball, so the moment of judgement with respect to the players side is when the ball was struck by the winger. It is very possible that she was on side when the shot was taken. The other player near the goal was clearly on-side and never became involved in the play anyways.

Certainly can't make a judgment based on the camera angle. It would be easier on a football field, because there are a lot of lines to help determine relative depth down field.

Agree with your post.

A little offside education for you non-referees, all players including the keeper are treated different if they are attempting to save a shot on goal (LOTG Law 11 page 93/94). In this scenario the goal keeper attempts to make a save and in doing so deflects the ball to the Legends player who scores. The offside or not offside position of the scorer must be judged at the moment that her teammate makes the initial contact with the ball during the shot from the right side. The AR is the only one (if they are correctly positioned) that has the correct line of sight to determine if the player was offside or not offside. Defensive players are rarely a reliable witness to the attackers offside position due to their focus on the player with the ball and other opponents. What normally happens is that the players, coach, spectators see the shot/pass taken then change what they are looking at to the other attackers position. While this can happen quickly, it is normally just slow enough to make an onside player appear to be in an offside position.

Legends and Hawks fans are surely rooting for IE Surf to win vs San Diego Soccer Club Navy tomorrow. If IE Surf makes it to the finals, doesn't their opponent automatically qualify, since Surf has already secured a spot through CRL?

I want to shout out to all San Diegans who want to see our G03 teams sweep National Cup for all 8 years. Go Blue.

Legends and Hawks fans are surely rooting for IE Surf to win vs San Diego Soccer Club Navy tomorrow. If IE Surf makes it to the finals, doesn't their opponent automatically qualify, since Surf has already secured a spot through CRL?

I want to shout out to all San Diegans who want to see our G03 teams sweep National Cup for all 8 years. Go Blue.
GO NAVY!

Hawks v Legends Semi seemed uneventful. Lots of kickball, only a very few quality chances to score for either team. Winning goal ended up being pretty weak, but got the job done. Legends nearly got an equalizer towards the end a couple of times, but ultimately couldn’t convert. Hawks win 1-0.

The SDSC v Surf Semi was close. Surf up 1-0 at half, retained majority possession in first half. SDSC came out strong in 2nd half and outworked Surf. It was clear they wanted it more, and held true to their “100%” motto. Very questionable 2nd goal for Navy, to be honest. Watched a parent video, replayed in slo-mo 100 times and I have no idea how the ball could have 100% crossed the goal line, yet bounce straight up outside of the crossbar. Heard the CalSouth photographer, who was apparently down on that end, even thought a goal would not be awarded. Regardless, Surf had their chances and just couldn’t convert. SDSC wins 2-1.

SDSC v Hawks final was close. Played to a 0-0 tie and into OT and finally PKs. Frankly, it looked quite boring. But alas, there has to be a winner, and the Hawks once again found a way to win. Congrats to them! I hear they’re on to Hawaii for Regionsls.

Lots of good players on the fields this weekend. Congrats to all our DDs for making it as far as they did. Now it’s time to get recruited! Keep ballin’, ladies!

Hawks v Legends Semi seemed uneventful. Lots of kickball, only a very few quality chances to score for either team. Winning goal ended up being pretty weak, but got the job done. Legends nearly got an equalizer towards the end a couple of times, but ultimately couldn’t convert. Hawks win 1-0.

The SDSC v Surf Semi was close. Surf up 1-0 at half, retained majority possession in first half. SDSC came out strong in 2nd half and outworked Surf. It was clear they wanted it more, and held true to their “100%” motto. Very questionable 2nd goal for Navy, to be honest. Watched a parent video, replayed in slo-mo 100 times and I have no idea how the ball could have 100% crossed the goal line, yet bounce straight up outside of the crossbar. Heard the CalSouth photographer, who was apparently down on that end, even thought a goal would not be awarded. Regardless, Surf had their chances and just couldn’t convert. SDSC wins 2-1.

SDSC v Hawks final was close. Played to a 0-0 tie and into OT and finally PKs. Frankly, it looked quite boring. But alas, there has to be a winner, and the Hawks once again found a way to win. Congrats to them! I hear they’re on to Hawaii for Regionsls.

Lots of good players on the fields this weekend. Congrats to all our DDs for making it as far as they did. Now it’s time to get recruited! Keep ballin’, ladies!
Was tough to see from down on my end. Thats the type of result we get for not finishing the game strong. I'm sure all those quality teams will get a chance to lock horns again sometime soon. Congratulations to the hawks and navy for making it to the finals.
Aloha!

Gopher not sure why a regular like you would dredge up an old thread, but if you truly want answers instead of making stuff up like some of the Rebels parents I know, give me a call. I sent you a private message with my name and phone number. BTW my kids use to play on the 04 team.
Easy Killer. It's a public forum to share information and everything is up for discussion. Why don't make yourself useful and elaborate instead of having us call you, now I'd like to know what really happened?

Back