Women's CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying

Has nothing to do with playing together longer?

Please elaborate on how “technically skilled”individuals win games and not how 11 players work together in a system.
Because they are proficient at rondo’s. As long as you have players that are excellent at doing rondos anywhere on the field the player’s are interchangeable and don’t need hella practice because the have mastered technique.

I saw the Mexico game when they beat Germany and the Mexico squad was substantially more technical than the US squad. I’m not sure about how it’s done in Europe but I’m familiar with Mexico and I’d say the USYNT’s are better funded and practice together 2-3x’s more often than the Mexican girls.

Because they are proficient at rondo’s. As long as you have players that are excellent at doing rondos anywhere on the field the player’s are interchangeable and don’t need hella practice because the have mastered technique.

I saw the Mexico game when they beat Germany and the Mexico squad was substantially more technical than the US squad. I’m not sure about how it’s done in Europe but I’m familiar with Mexico and I’d say the USYNT’s are better funded and practice together 2-3x’s more often than the Mexican girls.
We don't play soccer the way their taught in Europe tp play futbol. The men taught the men first and now these men are teaching the girls how to play Futbol and not smashball. I bought my kid some cleats and the guy who worked at the store played in Iran in the 70s before he escaped to the US when he was entering college. Long story Dre, but the boys from his frat played on the soccer team at Northridge and they told him about this sport called "soccer." He never heard of it before but it sounded like "futbol" where he was one of the best at his age in all of Persia. Well, he went out for a practice and destroyed them all. He ended playing at Indiana U and got a full ride. He said he is gr8tful for the full ride and it helped him become a good businessman in America but this is why were no good at the highest of men's level. Soccer=college player and Futbol=Pro player. How can we get these girls to jell more bro? I think we do have a chemistry problem but it's not the girls fault. I have MOO's but I will stay silent because I'm being watched and fact checked again.

The US hasn’t placed above 4th in the u20’s since 2012…..remind me how many WC’s we’ve won since then?

I truely hope other countries take a run at it because the rising tide raises all boats.

Last edited:
watch the game - so many 1v1 situations that the japanese win and our players do not in similar situations. Has nothing to do with playing with others, just knowing how to better move with the ball, fake, turn, collect, pass with proper weight, and finish. Those are all individual skills and have nothing to do with team dynamics like knowing where another player is going to be or pressing together, etc. "Playing together longer" is an often used excuse when the US loses. And, sometimes, it's not even true. It's not like these other international teams are playing together year round - the girls play for different club teams and colleges too. Japan's goalie plays at East Tennessee State.
Fair….our defense was atrocious. However your analysis doesn’t take player movement and special commitments into consideration (how off the ball players movement forces defenses to take different approaches).

Do you know what the team worked on in the 4 day camp building up to the WC, do you know who was in that camp, who came late and who simply skipped the camp and caught up with the team in CR?

I do believe the staff has to answer for their performance, but I don’t believe the sky is falling. The US senior team will always be Top 5 in the world.

. I’m not sure about how it’s done in Europe but I’m familiar with Mexico and I’d say the USYNT’s are better funded and practice together 2-3x’s more often than the Mexican girls.
The Mexican u17 team has trained and played 3x’s as much as the US u17’s in 2021/22. That is a fact!

The US hasn’t placed above 4th in the u20’s since 2012…..remind me how many WC’s we’ve won since then?

I truely hope other countries take a run at it because the rising tide raises all boats. Does the USNT failures help your lawsuit?
Damn, you are into your feelings! Is your kid on that US U20 team?
Miss me with the lame shit of which you speak. The US has been successful internationally because we have a massive country that supports women athletes while the rest of the world was focused on keeping their women barefooted and pregnant. The US should be producing more quality players with excellent fundamentals per capita.

I filed a claim with the EEOC but I didn’t pursue litigation because I took your advice. I found and excellent HS coach, club coach, and DOC and we a grinding now. Ya know, we’re staying ready so we don’t have to get ready homie. My player is happy, healthy and has accepted the fact that YNT isn’t a meritocracy.

Good luck to you and your player! Here’s a dedication to you and your player from your homie MacDre:

Damn, do you need a hug?
We all need a hug, that's a fact Jack. 3x of jelling to what? Zero? This age could have had any 2002 player but went with the youth, why? Why say no unless you had a good reason to say no. We had the #1 05 playing, the top really really good 04s starting. Jackson is 03. Where were the 2002s? Cooper can ball and she is 02. Rodman would have helped? I think most of the peeps I talk to who know a few things about this and that about soccer. We call it Futbol btw Dre. We all think the possession is missing and quality of the game is missing. Ganas? I did not watch the games. I saw highlights from the Netherlands game and the first two goals is on the GK, moo. I think that hurt the USA. I saw highlights from Ghana and I saw lot's of Ganas out on the pitch. I will watch Japan highlights when I see them.

Great question - how much influence do the top college coaches have in this scenario? I suppose what we shouldn't do is provide an excuse for their poor performance. This same age group did well in Europe earlier this summer. What changed?
What changed? Maybe our competitors know the difference between playing some friendlies vs an actual World Cup tournament. Let’s search the couch for some excuses: protected, safe, coddled DOCS, coaches, and a bloated, corrupt, unaccountable US program.

What changed? Maybe our competitors know the difference between playing some friendlies vs an actual World Cup tournament. Let’s search the couch for some excuses: protected, safe, coddled DOCS, coaches, and a bloated, corrupt, unaccountable US program.
Hey Doc, I have a quick question. I’m trying to help my daughter achieve her dream of playing for the USWNT. I’ve heard rumors that serving on the Board of Directors (or coaching) of my local club would substantially increase my kids chance of being selected for YNT’s, is there any truth to this?

Nothing changed. US has been losing to Japan at U20 for the last decade. This age group doesn't have the best players playing on it, nor do they have enough playing time with each other.

Damn, you are into your feelings! Is your kid on that US U20 team?
Miss me with the lame shit of which you speak. The US has been successful internationally because we have a massive country that supports women athletes while the rest of the world was focused on keeping their women barefooted and pregnant. The US should be producing more quality players with excellent fundamentals per capita.

I filed a claim with the EEOC but I didn’t pursue litigation because I took your advice. I found and excellent HS coach, club coach, and DOC and we a grinding now. Ya know, we’re staying ready so we don’t have to get ready homie. My player is happy, healthy and has accepted the fact that YNT isn’t a meritocracy.

Good luck to you and your player! Here’s a dedication to you and your player from your homie MacDre:
Yah…I owe you an apology for that cheap shot. Pretty lame indeed….got all wound up. My bad!

Most importantly, I’m glad your kid found a good home!

My DD didn’t make the cut for the u20’s this cycle (was a provisional player so was in all the Camps) but still has a shot for the next cycle based on her age.

I am interested to see what happens with the u17s. The u16s played subpar opponents - that was a club-payoff window dressing show with little scouting due to Covid. Don't pay any attention, just like don't pay attention to CONCACAF blowouts. They are meaningless (except the games v. Canada :) )

Typically, US early-maturing players can still overpower most of the smaller and slower international girls at 15/16 years old (there are exceptions like Nigeria). Then they catch up by 18/19. US U20 record is pathetic historically because of that. Plenty of 18/19 year old girls in this country to choose from for that team - shouldn't be any 16 or 17 year olds on it. But Nike has a say, of course, unfortunately.

Bottom line, Japanese and Dutch girls (and Spain) at the same age are more technical players than ours. That has nothing to do with playing together longer, etc. And, I think we are starting to see this same fact start to play out on the full national team with the new players being brought in - fast, strong, but not technical.

Also, note, to those complaining about the defense...yes, Japan and Netherlands scored 3 goals each. But, US offense only scored once in those two games, and that goal was a bit fortuitous.
How did the U16s play sub par opponents?

Anyway, plenty of logic in your statement...certainly don't pay attention to CONCACAF. Agree that Nike has influence and they don't care about their ability to impact the experience level of this team. Pretty cool billboard moment to have Moultrie on the field. She's a great player but was clearly outclassed on many occassions, most of the time she was out of position.

Certainly would have helped if the US had been more dangerous up front. They couldn't keep the ball across the midline and were incapable of carrying into the final third...but the defense...out of position, poor communication, poor possession. They looked confused, as if they weren't capable of directing traffic. Time to rethink this team and look a bit deeper into the pool.

Funny how sports competitions are decided on the field. But feel free to grind that ax.

How did the U16s play sub par opponents?

Anyway, plenty of logic in your statement...certainly don't pay attention to CONCACAF. Agree that Nike has influence and they don't care about their ability to impact the experience level of this team. Pretty cool billboard moment to have Moultrie on the field. She's a great player but was clearly outclassed on many occassions, most of the time she was out of position.

Certainly would have helped if the US had been more dangerous up front. They couldn't keep the ball across the midline and were incapable of carrying into the final third...but the defense...out of position, poor communication, poor possession. They looked confused, as if they weren't capable of directing traffic. Time to rethink this team and look a bit deeper into the pool.
In Moultrie’s defense, it’s hard to have good positioning when your teammates are playing kickball and can’t deliver properly weighted passes to your feet in the attacking third. I believe she had to drop back to receive the ball every single time. I feel sorry for her because she didn’t have much to work with.

The US has been successful internationally because we have a massive country that supports women athletes while the rest of the world was focused on keeping their women barefooted and pregnant. The US should be producing more quality players with excellent fundamentals per capita.
This is my opinion as well. Related to your emphasis on fundamentals, there's also a silly dichotomy regularly heard or implied about having great athletes or great technical players. That discussion doesn't exist in basketball. You know, great athletes should be able to do rondos as well as lesser athletes - assuming they are trained to do so.

The USWNT is wildly successful. Unfortunately, success can often mask opportunities to improve. There was a saying in France about the wines in Italy and France. Historically, many in France believed Italy had superior terroir to France, but France produced higher quality wine. The (arrogant) saying with respect to producing quality wine was, "Italy takes gold and makes silver. France takes silver and makes gold." Right now, I feel like US soccer is closer to Italy in terms of fulfilling potential.

I am interested to see what happens with the u17s. The u16s played subpar opponents - that was a club-payoff window dressing show with little scouting due to Covid. Don't pay any attention, just like don't pay attention to CONCACAF blowouts. They are meaningless (except the games v. Canada :) )
It will be interesting to see the U17's play under Natalia Astrain. Possession soccer is her wheelhouse. From my experience with that style, your CB's better be poised/masterful on the ball. It all builds from there.

frank schoon, August 18, 2022 at 9:11 a.m.
As I sat there on the couch with my notepad, wanting to take notes for tomorrow's SA comments, at the end of the night, there was nothing. It wasn't worth spending time for the problem is much bigger than the game details that I usually talk about at hand...

First of all, The USSF should do a study on body fat content of the US women soccer players. I look at the Japanese and Dutch women and they are all thin, and athletic looking. I see way too many big butts ,heavy thighs on the US women teams...

I had mentioned gestallt before, but the US developing strategy has got to change from atheticism to intelligent play. From day one it should be taught to the players that you CAN"t outrun the ball, nothing is faster than the ball. Once that is understood, then you play the game in a way that you let the ball do the running, not the player, for that is much faster...Of course that is easier said than done, for you have to understand the parameters that come with fast play, for example, positioning, field positioning and ball-handling skills,not fast running, but fast thinking. That in itself is part of the gestallt that needs to added to our game. The problem ,currently, is that we don't have the coaches to teach that for they likewise have never grown up in that type of old-fashioned gestallt.

Look at the dutch and Japanese when we played them, both were not about to fight it out with the US team, because we can kick anybody's ass, playing physical out there. You never saw a dutch player or japanese player try to outrun an American with the ball....forget it...but we will definitely try to for that is our gestallt that's been baked into our DNA from day one...Turbo, baby!!!

Both the Japanese and Dutch players beat our players with short fast ball movements combined with various players. You never saw them trying to outrun an American player in a mad dash down the wing or down the field, but you would see that display with our players because that's baked into our DNA....
NEXT POST
frank schoon, August 18, 2022 at 9:46 a.m.
Note how fast the Japanese turn with the ball, on a dime, especially when they allow an American player to come very close. The make a feint, as if they will in one direction but go the opposite. We don't even do that. Why don't we see that with our players, simple, we don't have the coaches to train and develop that type of style. We simply train to straight forward, too direct, too simplistic and too predictable.

The Dutch are too smart to get in a foot race with the Americans. They only attempt a quick dash of about 5meters than quickly pass the ball off, perhaps it backwards making US chase the ball back ,leaving a big open space forwards but behind the American players to pass the ball. In this manner you don't have to try and outrun someone but instead beat 2 or 3 players through one pass. We just don't play smart soccer and that is due to coaching....So when you're told our coaches are all licensed ,what is that suppose to mean, Licensed???? This is a joke.

If you want to begin to increase the level of faster play, that means not run faster for that only slows down the game, instead there are other parameters that come into paly to FORCE a player to play faster. Instead of 11v11,full field, play it half-field. Or play 11v14, where the 3 extra players forces the other team, to look ahead,move, think and pass faster....It is the little details. Rinus Michels in the WC'74 practiced playing 11v11, half-field, full goals, never full-field. In other words time and space became of the essence and that requires faster thinking and moving.

In street soccer days,the kids on the teams never wore specially t-shirts or color pennies. No, ofcourse not ,you just played with what you wore that day in school. In other words, teams were never equal, nobody wore similar colors, which forced kids to always look up and remember who your teammates were and where they are situated. Unlike today, the coach just throws out the color pennies and seperate two teams. That was never done in my days of street soccer, where you automatically were forced to look ,think, prepare to where the ball should go ahead of time in the next move because similar color teammates weren't there. All this stuff became automatic to the kids in my days through playing. Today, that gestallt is lost and instead, we have some 'goofball' with a license directing you 'where to go, what to do, what color to where'.

Development of soccer needs a serious change and the first step is for player to learn to play faster which is done by forcing them to new parameters of play....

In Moultrie’s defense, it’s hard to have good positioning when your teammates are playing kickball and can’t deliver properly weighted passes to your feet in the attacking third. I believe she had to drop back to receive the ball every single time. I feel sorry for her because she didn’t have much to work with.
That very well could have been the case. She's now used to playing with experienced players. The team and the coaching staff looked off. Someone on here mentioned these certainly aren't the best players that we could put on the field. Maybe, maybe not.

In reality this age group won't see many senior team players evolve. Plenty of young talent on the current senior team to carry the torch for a while. Ages will always overlap. I mean, how long have rapino, morgan, et all been on the senior team? seems like forever.

Back