What are some of the craziest things a coach/DOC has said to you or your kids when they found out you're switching clubs?

Retaliation and animosity from DOC’s and club coaches is real. Just because you haven’t experienced it doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. If you haven’t had that situation then you are lucky and good for you and your player. Others besides EJ have also had some pretty bad experiences and have been retaliated against.

I need some popcorn to go with this drama. Very entertaining.
Yes, for those on the outside and never been attacked and threaten to STFU or else no ride for your dd, is entertaining for many. I'm glad my family can provide gr8t entertainment. As you eat your popcorn, just realize with each cornel that their was deep and emotional pain to dads & kids who dare ask a few questions.

We were told by our DOC that San Diego State wanted us to come on unofficial visit before Surf Cup one year. We toured the campus with Friesen and his assistants, they rolled out the red carpet...great visit. He's telling us he's a Christian, has leadership in the church, mentors men and women...yadda yada yada. At the conclusion of the meeting he says we'd love for you to come to SDSU. I will call you next week with details of her scholarship offer. Great right?

So over the weekend my daughter decides to switch clubs to be with her friend and goes to Surf Cup (summer). The problem is that the club we were transferring from, the girls ECNL coordinator and Friesen are BEST friends. So when I called the next week, we find out that there is no scholarship or roster spot for her. When we asked the DOC about why the offer got taken off the table....crickets-no answer. Some Christian...

Hindsight glad she didn't go there because it's been a hot mess since and his team has underachieved each season since. Karma or maybe divine justice hahaha

We were told by our DOC that San Diego State wanted us to come on unofficial visit before Surf Cup one year. We toured the campus with Friesen and his assistants, they rolled out the red carpet...great visit. He's telling us he's a Christian, has leadership in the church, mentors men and women...yadda yada yada. At the conclusion of the meeting he says we'd love for you to come to SDSU. I will call you next week with details of her scholarship offer. Great right?

So over the weekend my daughter decides to switch clubs to be with her friend and goes to Surf Cup (summer). The problem is that the club we were transferring from, the girls ECNL coordinator and Friesen are BEST friends. So when I called the next week, we find out that there is no scholarship or roster spot for her. When we asked the DOC about why the offer got taken off the table....crickets-no answer. Some Christian...

Hindsight glad she didn't go there because it's been a hot mess since and his team has underachieved each season since. Karma or maybe divine justice hahaha
Karma for others and divine for you and your child. Satire warning: I had old hoops coach offer me a free steak dinner if I went to church with him. Me and a few of my teammates went for the steak. I was adopted, lonely and searching for other ways to find Yahweh then what my adopted mother was forcing me to believe in. She had God on straight but got played by the dude with all the Crystal's at the Cathedral. I was forced to get baptized when I was 8 as a Mormon too, which the Calvary Preacher's lesson at the Chapel told me I was going to hell, I was in a cult and I best get out and repent or I'm going to hell. No if's and or buts. Well, I didnt want to go to hell so I raised my hand and asked Jesus to come live with me in my heart. I was sold this from a scripture in Revelations that he was knocking hard to come live with me and it's my job to let him in or not. I was too young to understand the snake oil on this teaching. I kicked Jesus out on the weekends too so I could party and felt bad. I would feel all guilty at church on Sundays and accept Jesus back in. I must have let him in over 100x.

Last edited:
My 2 girls have club hopped a few times and I personally don't talk to the DOC. When I make up my mind to move, I move. I do give fair warning to the coaches before I do in hopes they fix their issues. I personally have heard very reasonable responses from the DOC when they found out though. Nothing like what I hear in this thread. When we left Arsenal West, DOC (GS) called me several times to try a hostile takeover of our U11G team before heading over to IE Surf. I didn't fall for the DOC bait and we had to forfeit State Cup. Bummer. Later on we left West Coast ECNL (then OC Surf) because the DOC fired our coach and took over our team. All he said was that "it's in the best interest of the club that he be removed" in the middle of the season. The DOC later got fired (can't mention names but starts with a G) and team imploded. So, this was a good move. We are now at Legends and are very happy there. Don't see a need to change clubs anymore.

Nothing but respectful comments from DOC's or coaches. We did have the HS Athletic Director tell us my daughter was not invited to the HS ceremony honoring students who signed a NLI since she chose not to play HS her senior year. She was the only girl from any sport that signed a D1 NLI that year and was team MVP, all league player her Junior year which is the only year the team has won league. The previous year two girls attended this ceremony when they did not play their senior year and they have honored other students that did not play HS before.

Yes, for those on the outside and never been attacked and threaten to STFU or else no ride for your dd, is entertaining for many. I'm glad my family can provide gr8t entertainment. As you eat your popcorn, just realize with each cornel that their was deep and emotional pain to dads & kids who dare ask a few questions.
You missed my point. I get that DOC and Coaches can be asshats. It's the personal attacks on this thread that are amusing. Obviously there is some history that I am not privy to.

You missed my point. I get that DOC and Coaches can be asshats. It's the personal attacks on this thread that are amusing. Obviously there is some history that I am not privy to.
You missed my satire bro. This is my sports entertainment. People keep telling me their is no money in girls soccer. Get more popcorn out because the sun is shinning :)

I have a life coach you guys and she is so loving. At 55, I just learned not to judge myself anymore, for anything. All these years I agreed that I was going to hell and when one agrees to that punishment of fear and scary demons, well then, he will judge everyone to the same fate and judgement that he believes in. Projection! I mean, I just had old church pal get all mad at me because I said, "maybe Yeshua was married and had a few kids?" This guy went off on me and said I was fallen away and going to hell. All I said was "maybe." I told a parent once when my kid was in 8th grade that college is overrated and maybe she will go pro as a joke. Parent told the Doc and then the parent went ape shit crazy on me. Another Doc asked my kid where she wanted to go to college and my kid said, "Not sure I want to go to college." Dude Doc said, "why are you here then? I forked out $3,000 to pay up front for a discount and have her taught by the master and this is what were paying for?" She found the bench for the first time ever in her life. She was playing up too and he said she was a starter on his team and no way he would play her up as 04 with 03s to sit on the bench. I called him a middle man to his face and told him I dont need his help to get a deal for my kid. Will be doing it ourselves, I said. You know what, I was wrong. You need the dude to help you in the middle. Dude makes over $250,000 a year and makes things happen.

I have a life coach you guys and she is so loving. At 55, I just learned not to judge myself anymore, for anything. All these years I agreed that I was going to hell and when one agrees to that punishment of fear and scary demons, well then, he will judge everyone to the same fate and judgement that he believes in. Projection! I mean, I just had old church pal get all mad at me because I said, "maybe Yeshua was married and had a few kids?" This guy went off on me and said I was fallen away and going to hell. All I said was "maybe." I told a parent once when my kid was in 8th grade that college is overrated and maybe she will go pro as a joke. Parent told the Doc and then the parent went ape shit crazy on me. Another Doc asked my kid where she wanted to go to college and my kid said, "Not sure I want to go to college." Dude Doc said, "why are you here then? I forked out $3,000 to pay up front for a discount and have her taught by the master and this is what were paying for?" She found the bench for the first time ever in her life. She was playing up too and he said she was a starter on his team and no way he would play her up as 04 with 03s to sit on the bench. I called him a middle man to his face and told him I dont need his help to get a deal for my kid. Will be doing it ourselves, I said. You know what, I was wrong. You need the dude to help you in the middle. Dude makes over $250,000 a year and makes things happen.
Ummmmm…… Ok…..

Easy fellas on the PMs and threats. You took everything away from me so you win the old game of life. You can have the bubble life and try your luck with going back to normal. The thread said, "craziest" not nicest experience, FYI!!! Ummmmmmmmmm, ok Doc!

From my experience anyone that holds out their Christianity or religion as some sort of selling point in a sales pitch should be avoided like the plague.

We all know this is click bait for those who have had to make moves or those who have been in need of an environment change, or those who follow teammates or coaches they love. In SoCal you know this because...well, everyone knows everyone's business and we all text each other, so air it here if need be, but I mean, if you don't know... well now you know. They will black ball you where ever they can.... even HS and way beyond if they have pull and if your departure means something to them. Heads of Club, Directors and PARENTS can be assholes. Not all, but some will show their true colors. If you are interested in another club, be upfront and honest with your coach as much as possible. They don't want to find out afterwards that you were at his/her competitors practice.

If you are interested in another club, be upfront and honest with your coach as much as possible. They don't want to find out afterwards that you were at his/her competitors practice.
I did this every time we left a club. I was honest and upfront before we left. The parents who had experience all told me this, "Dont say shit until after you leave. They will take it out on you and your kid for leaving the family." I said, "no no, I need to be honest and share the truth with Doc." Oh my, they hated my truth and came back with their truth, "college coaches don't like club hopers and dads asking questions and you will be blacklisted." The fact is, I was honest and got retaliated against, just for taking the goals somewhere else. I told one Doc, "find more goals dude."

Well kind of in the same vein.

When DA started, the club that got it had ECNL (which they gave up). That club had been pilfering kids from various clubs including ours for some time. However with DA there was far more interest.

So one of the coaches gave a talk to all the kids in a certain age group. Talked up how DA was new, didn't know if it would last, isn't that good...and especially loyalty and how good the current club was and kids should stay and thrive in the current environment.

A month or so later the coach bailed to an ECNL club and and brought along a lot of kids including mine.

Well kind of in the same vein.

When DA started, the club that got it had ECNL (which they gave up). That club had been pilfering kids from various clubs including ours for some time. However with DA there was far more interest.

So one of the coaches gave a talk to all the kids in a certain age group. Talked up how DA was new, didn't know if it would last, isn't that good...and especially loyalty and how good the current club was and kids should stay and thrive in the current environment.

A month or so later the coach bailed to an ECNL club and and brought along a lot of kids including mine.
Coaches are as quick to bail to "greener pastures" as players. I doubt a coach has ever given their players a heads up when their interviewing with other clubs. We lost a coach a number of months ago, one day he was the coach, next day he was gone. He had been the coach for our 06s for nearly two years...not a word to them. A couple weeks after he did reach out to players, of course only the best players.

If you are interested in another club, be upfront and honest with your coach as much as possible. They don't want to find out afterwards that you were at his/her competitors practice.
While it may seem like the right thing to do, I would never give a coach a heads up that your kid is attending other practices. Odds are it will not turn out well for your child.

I agree with a lot of what I hear. While I would never tell a coach or DOC I'm leaving, I feel obligated to tell them why I'm not happy. You owe it to them to at least know why you aren't happy.

I agree with a lot of what I hear. While I would never tell a coach or DOC I'm leaving, I feel obligated to tell them why I'm not happy. You owe it to them to at least know why you aren't happy.
I did that to one Big Doc and I told him to his face, that lying and misleading teenage girls is wrong and he should be ashamed of himself. He told me he knows everyone in the game, that I need to clam down, learn to "pay to play" the right way. With my attitude toward the truth, no way my kid will be able to pay to play at the next level. Dude was 100% right, I can;t lie. I was wrong and he was right. TGIF!! The sun is shinning on everything and that makes me super happy :)

As a parent you don’t owe any club coach or DOC anything. You pay for them to be your coach, you are the customer and they typically treat you like crap. As a parent they think they own your child and have no accountability to you as a parent or as a paying customer. My child is not an indentured servant to the club but that’s the message: “pay your fee, shut up, don’t interfere and if you bring up any serious complaints about bad things happening then you better watch out because we will trash talk you to wherever you are going to have a more appropriate and safe experience. We have the power and will ruin your child’s future if we chose to do that.”

Back