Vegas College Showcase Help

It's a busy and expensive weekend in Vegas with the NCAA basketball, too. That said, I think if you're assuming the all the best players are on ECNL and DA teams, I think that's a mistake. We're surrounded by 3 of them and probably 1/3 of those rosters would not displace any of our existing players at tryouts. Maybe if both players showed up as "new", there'd be a different outcome, but the talent level isn't enough to bump an incumbent player. The separation isn't there. Too many reasons NOT to play DA and I guess, with the exception of SoCal, there are probably several regions where ECNL isn't a viable option for some. That said, Stanford, Pepperdine, MIT, Columbia, San Diego... all calls I would certainly return.

I guess the real telling thing will be how well your players get recruited vs those DA and ECNL teams. I don't doubt that your team has players just as good but those leagues get way more college coach exposure. For those that want to play at the next level that is the true benefit of playing in those leagues. My dd's team had 18 players on the team, 13 seniors and 5 juniors. 11 of the seniors played D1 year last year and two played D2. All 5 of the juniors are committed D1 for this fall. Everyone on substantial scholarships. 1/2 of their second team committed to college too (D1 to NAIA). The big clubs with DA and ECNL are recruiting machines.

I guess the real telling thing will be how well your players get recruited vs those DA and ECNL teams. I don't doubt that your team has players just as good but those leagues get way more college coach exposure. For those that want to play at the next level that is the true benefit of playing in those leagues. My dd's team had 18 players on the team, 13 seniors and 5 juniors. 11 of the seniors played D1 year last year and two played D2. All 5 of the juniors are committed D1 for this fall. Everyone on substantial scholarships. 1/2 of their second team committed to college too (D1 to NAIA). The big clubs with DA and ECNL are recruiting machines.

I believe every bit of that to be true... but is that for a high profile club in SoCal, Simi? And it's the same with PDP, ODP and id2... the bigger clubs get their kids bigger nominations because of political bullshit. I've seen so many, more talented kids get sent home. And some that got sent home were quickly sent back after a phone call if they play for the right club. I guess my point is there's a general assumption the best players are in DA and ECNL and I know that to be untrue where we are. Maybe it's more prevalent in SoCal where there is probably an option for both every 10 miles. Maybe that's one of the problems here. You shouldn't assume the 8th best player on Slammers is better than the best player on XYZ club that's low profile. I also think SoCal teams get the most attention because of geography. Nice problem for you guys to have.

I believe every bit of that to be true... but is that for a high profile club in SoCal, Simi? And it's the same with PDP, ODP and id2... the bigger clubs get their kids bigger nominations because of political bullshit. I've seen so many, more talented kids get sent home. And some that got sent home were quickly sent back after a phone call if they play for the right club. I guess my point is there's a general assumption the best players are in DA and ECNL and I know that to be untrue where we are. Maybe it's more prevalent in SoCal where there is probably an option for both every 10 miles. Maybe that's one of the problems here. You shouldn't assume the 8th best player on Slammers is better than the best player on XYZ club that's low profile. I also think SoCal teams get the most attention because of geography. Nice problem for you guys to have.

I agree that I hate the political BS but it is a fact. That is why we jumped ship from our smaller club starting her Junior year and it payed off (literally) for us. I wish you and your player the best!

We have three track stars on our DA team. So not exclusive to any team.
Did they get written consent? If so, cool for all those multi sport, same season studits. Multi to me in the old days was football, hoops and baseball. Not club soccer 4 days a week for 10 months, plus HS school hoops. at the same time. That is wrong but two each his own.

Last edited:
I agree that I hate the political BS but it is a fact. That is why we jumped ship from our smaller club starting her Junior year and it payed off (literally) for us. I wish you and your player the best!

Likewise. Obviously I'm not in SoCal but follow this because those of you with experience are kind enough to share the knowledge and it's much appreciated.

I read an article today listing several companies cancelling their Las Vegas conferences this month because of coronavirus concerns. Also read Las Vegas just reported its first confirmed case this week. Anyone else share concern that recruiting coaches and teams will withdraw from the showcase over the next couple of weeks?

I read an article today listing several companies cancelling their Las Vegas conferences this month because of coronavirus concerns. Also read Las Vegas just reported its first confirmed case this week. Anyone else share concern that recruiting coaches and teams will withdraw from the showcase over the next couple of weeks?
Yes, share the concern but we are on a crappy team and I hate vegas so I don’t want to go....I could be looking for excuses ‍♀️

only if they're over 60 years old and have previous respiratory issues, there's always those that will panic or play it safe, it's the flu. Now that the testing kits are coming out and tests will come back as positive or negative, the sickness rate will drop due to sheer numbers, unless your Brian Williams. Make your decisions on what's best for you and your family, be smart about high fives and touching everything that everyone else has touched, wash your hands and don't be touching your face!, (tough for kids to stop that one)...... and no need to hoard toilet paper and paper towels people!

only if they're over 60 years old and have previous respiratory issues, there's always those that will panic or play it safe, it's the flu. Now that the testing kits are coming out and tests will come back as positive or negative, the sickness rate will drop due to sheer numbers, unless your Brian Williams. Make your decisions on what's best for you and your family, be smart about high fives and touching everything that everyone else has touched, wash your hands and don't be touching your face!, (tough for kids to stop that one)...... and no need to hoard toilet paper and paper towels people!
Or Water for that matter. Seriously, water? Wtf!!!

Totally hoping we get out of going somehow!
I have always told both my DD's, if you want to get out of something, just tell them you have diarrhea, that's the one thing NO ONE will give you a hard time about but, you have to tell them, don't think they ever used it yet....

I have always told both my DD's, if you want to get out of something, just tell them you have diarrhea, that's the one thing NO ONE will give you a hard time about but, you have to tell them, don't think they ever used it yet....
And whatever you do, don;t be honest and just tell the coach, "Listen coach, our family is tapping out. Were out of money and quite frankly, I'm burned out coach and need a break too. I will also have road rage 100% coming home Sunday and I don't want that stress in my life right now trying to calm myself down. Plus, March Madness is way better watching from home coach." If coach is still playing the guilt card, just hit him/her with, "Lastly coach, my dd has the runs and one of her classmates came down with Corona and on top of all that coach, I'm completely out of toilet paper. Could you spare us a roll?" Shake his hand and move on. That should handle it for you. The positive for the other goats on the team is someone else gets to start and play in front of college coaches and maybe a YNT scout will be hiding among the parents, so as to blend in."

Or Water for that matter. Seriously, water? Wtf!!!
That's what I thought at first too. But as explained to me, it takes people, a lot of people to keep water plants running. If you have a lot of people quarantined, not necessarily sick, you might not have full staff to keep things running consistently. Think of this if you live in California, seismologist and geologist have been begging us for years to be prepared for a large earthquake, and now many people are. :) It will take days in a major earthquake for government to get their act together to provide water to millions of people. Most of our water is piped in. "Chance favors those who are prepared". Once you are prepared, no big deal, it's done.

So bummed! Our family was looking forward to this - especially after all the great tips. I believe it was the right call to cancel. I wish they wouldn’t have waited to the last minute.

What should the kids do in the next 30 days to stay sharp? Keep their fitness?
I was thinking of that today. There's gonna be some pretty out of shape players and referees (including me) coming back after this break if they don't get off their butts and their faces off of the iPhones...

Back