Vaccine

I don't really blame the government for the deaths so much (other than Coumo and Murphy's nursing home policy). They need to be held accountable for damage they've done to our small business economy, delay in other medical care and interruption to a children's education and well-being.
... I didn't specifically say covid, take your pick from the many government failures throughout your lifetime.

...although many deaths are / will be resultant from what you mentioned, no? ---> "They need to be held accountable for damage they've done to our small business economy, delay in other medical care and interruption to a children's education and well-being."

I have yet to hear a child complain, just their Karen and ken parents. Buck up and be a proper member of society like people have done for centuries. Why all of the sudden is their a select group of people who feel entitled to their own way of doing things that in many cases threatens the wellbeing of others?
What does this even mean?

...look at the division in this one thread alone, now project that across the country. The politicians and power elites are keeping us at each other's throats...so we don't come after theirs...and just look how easy we make it for them, most are all too willing to oblige.

When was the last time anyone in government/power was held accountable for any of the massive failures and deaths?
I believe you have it upside down. We are at each others' throats, so politicians exploit that to get elected. The core of our division is that we don't see enough of ourselves in others and others in ourselves. A single difference of opinion can be grounds for ending any type of engagement, permanently, or insulting, denigrating, and dehumanizing. With just a superficial understanding of human psychology, the outcomes we are seeing shouldn't be surprising.

I think your analysis assumes that all are free to vote and that we have choice in who we vote for. The system is rigged.

What chance does the average person have at running for and winning an election?

Even if you don't think the system is "free" it doesn't absolve you from your dilemma: either: a) you just want to handle power to different masters...different elites to replace the corrupt ones, or b) you want to hand power back to the idiots. Thinking things would be better if you were just in charge isn't a new thing....Plato and Aristotle thought about this long before you....philosopher king v. tyrant, oligarchy v. aristocracy, mob v. democracy....same thoughts, new wrapping.

I think for your son, 1 year of constructivist learning by fishing and skating will be more beneficial because he’s had less of the government mandated brainwashing that occurs in most schools. All kids needs to learn from school is how to read, write, and count (3 R’s).
No doubt, but you and I had the resources to mitigate the damage. Many families didn't, and do not. The number of kids that didn't even logon during virtual learning is insane. In LA I believe it was as high as 40% for the end of the 2020 school year. I seriously doubt that those kids had a lot of positive alternative activities to enrich their lives. Even with our resources and options my daughter struggled with the lockdown. Not all kids are the same, but without a doubt all kids lost formal learning opportunities.

You’re missing my point. My wife’s family for example were part of the French that received land grants in Northern Florida in and around Tallahassee. In the early 1900’s my wife’s great grandpa from Quincy, FL was able to invest $500 into Coca-Cola because he had so much land. Today, I believe Quincy has more millionaires per capita than any other place in the USA.

I see you’re still drinking the kool aide from your HS civics classes.
...and you're missing my point by standing in your life and pointing at everyone else's life.

...also, as opposed to your new revisionist woke HS civics class?

I have yet to hear a child complain, just their Karen and ken parents. Buck up and be a proper member of society like people have done for centuries. Why all of the sudden is their a select group of people who feel entitled to their own way of doing things that in many cases threatens the wellbeing of others?
Maybe because you do t have any “children” of younger ages.

So your issue is with the sales pitch?

I have no issues with the vaccines, in fact I'm pro vaccine and would recommend everyone who is of adult age take the vaccine

This goes to the broader point of the messaging around covid/vaccines, everything has been terrible . Of course the sales pitch was terrible, why do you think Biden swerved back in May to say "Get Vaxxed or Mask"

IF the crisis ( pandemic ) ends, the ability to sell the American people that revolutionary change needs to take place ends.

Stop asking questions, shut up , and take the vaccine.

Yes, we understand the messaging, its clear as day

Elites giving more conspiracy fodder to the extremes. These guys just can't help themselves. Journalism is on life support and its failures are driving the divide in our country.

They fail because they report the news with an agenda. In other words they are no longer reporting but trying to influence.
And of course info comes out constantly that contradicts what they have been peddling.

No doubt, but you and I had the resources to mitigate the damage. Many families didn't, and do not. The number of kids that didn't even logon during virtual learning is insane. In LA I believe it was as high as 40% for the end of the 2020 school year. I seriously doubt that those kids had a lot of positive alternative activities to enrich their lives. Even with our resources and options my daughter struggled with the lockdown. Not all kids are the same, but without a doubt all kids lost formal learning opportunities.
I get it. I enrolled my kid in our local public school for the first time because her school in Mexico is still 100% online. She tells me that many of the kids are struggling. My school district has a housing project, trailer park, and affluent kids. You’d think that with only 450 students in the HS, the district could meet the needs of the disadvantaged kids but it’s not happening. I think the districts solution is to send the kids from the trailer parks and housing projects to the continuation school and leave the HS for the affluent kids. I don’t even want to think about how a district as large as LAUSD is dealing with the fallout from Covid.

I just received a message from the Superintendent that Covid is down, Flu is up, and we have a shortage of bus drivers.

I think your analysis assumes that all are free to vote and that we have choice in who we vote for. The system is rigged.

What chance does the average person have at running for and winning an election?
Things that unite R & D party leaders
  1. there will only be R & D parties in the US.
  2. the first past the post voting system.
  3. they can be given as much money as they can take

I believe you have it upside down. We are at each others' throats, so politicians exploit that to get elected. The core of our division is that we don't see enough of ourselves in others and others in ourselves. A single difference of opinion can be grounds for ending any type of engagement, permanently, or insulting, denigrating, and dehumanizing. With just a superficial understanding of human psychology, the outcomes we are seeing shouldn't be surprising.
I think the cause is more the information age and information bubble people are wrapped in, decided for them by tech companies delivering content based on what you previously did, not on any beneficial objective basis.

The information bubbles and the extremes they are going to are no different, imv, than the madras schools - and look who (minority) comes out of those.

So then the hot button issue of the day, what is the argument for VAX mandates ?
They have not really explained the logic on this have they?

If the vaxxed still spread at close to the same rates as the unvaxxed, what exactly is the point of vax mandates? It certainly doesn't stop the spread?

If the vaxxed still spread at close to the same rates as the unvaxxed, what exactly is the point of vax mandates? It certainly doesn't stop the spread?
The vaccinated infections are less severe, for less time, resulting in less hospitalizations and less deaths.

Ive asked this, seems the response is that we are protecting the well being of others

but if the vaccinated can catch and spread the virus , and the unvaccinated can catch and spread the virus , yes who are we protecting ?

Are we protecting the well-being of the unvaccinated, because that would be odd. They are being demonized by the left

You may have thought a booster was going to eventually be needed but the general public wasn't pitched the idea. The vaccine schedule (2 doses for Pfizer/Moderna, 1 for JJ) was sold as the ticket to backyard freedom. While the development of the vaccines(s) was impressive, the messaging and politization of the product left a lot to be desired. It's a very useful tool to manage the disease, but it's not the only one.

As far as your kid's vaccination, pediatric vaccination is based on a vaccine schedule. Boosters and vaccine schedules are fundamentally different. Generally speaking, live vaccines don't need boosters. And if given a booster, the timing is well beyond the 6-8 months that's been proposed for the covid vaccine.

As far as covid boosters are concerned, there is much disagreement as to who gets a booster, when, etc. There isn't enough safety data available for the CDC/FDA to make a blanket approval.
The vaccine is working as well as could be hoped for. Remember that originally, we were hoping for something that was at least 70% effective. We got a 90+% that eventually needs a booster. Sounds like we got our wish.

It's reasonable to be upset that it isn't all over. There are two causes of that:

1- the existence of a national anti-vax campaign.
2- the emergence of a higher transmission variant.

Neither one of those can reasonably be blamed on the vaccine. No vaccine can really do the job if half of us refuse to take it.

I think the cause is more the information age and information bubble people are wrapped in, decided for them by tech companies delivering content based on what you previously did, not on any beneficial objective basis.

The information bubbles and the extremes they are going to are no different, imv, than the madras schools - and look who (minority) comes out of those.

It's not just that. Western philosophy (Eastern is more complicated and has been polluted by western thought which leads to strange anomalies like a democratic industrial Japan and a communist China which is authoritarian but bears little resemblance to Marxist communism) has been diverging into 3 poles since the American and French revolutions: the traditionalists (who favored the state and patriotism as a buffer against the chaos of Midevalism), the modernists (who valued liberty and reason and came out of the Enlightenment) and the post modernists (who value equity and justice, born in the French revolution, and which has many uncles in many different post modernist philosophies). The poles are wholly different ways of looking at the world and speak different languages and have different values. Two of the poles (the post modernists and traditionalists) have decided they are existential threats to one another.

Opportunistic politicians looking to feed their power play into the divisions. The information bubbles just push it. One thing the pandemic has contributed to is the Great Sorting: people who can't stand their red or blue communities moving out of them....how great the Great Sorting is or will be is interesting and may accelerate or decline depending on what happens in Virginia, but it will be interesting to study to see how real it is, if at all. Virginia (which ranges from deep establishment blue never vote anything but D in Arlington to confederate flags proudly flying down south) may very well tear itself apart.

Back