Vaccine

Can you name anywhere which lowered death rates solely by putting the responsibility on at-risk adults? All the examples I can think of have high death rates.

A solution which has failed everywhere it was tried is not much of a solution.

If you want to say that we should put the responsibility on all adults, then I agree. But that means we all have to mask up and we all have to get vaccinated.

That was it. Not that far in the rear view mirror compared to the 55 million years that Corona has evolved and us with it when we finally showed up.

By that standard sanitation is a relatively new development. I don’t begrudge that development in the least…though the streets of San Francisco may be regressing to pre sanitation standards due to lack of public dedication mandates.

By that standard sanitation is a relatively new development. I don’t begrudge that development in the least…though the streets of San Francisco may be regressing to pre sanitation standards due to lack of public dedication mandates.

*defecation

I …… cannot……..stand………listening………to……….people……….who……….drag……..out………their………sentences……..to……..make……..it………seem…….as………though……….they………are………saying……….something………..more……..profound……..than……..they……….really……….are.

You realize that was nothing more than a 6 minute snipped of an introductory bio class, right?

That's just nasty. Back to the plague we go.

I …… cannot……..stand………listening………to……….people……….who……….drag……..out………their………sentences……..to……..make……..it………seem…….as………though……….they………are………saying……….something………..more……..profound……..than……..they……….really……….are.

You realize that was nothing more than a 6 minute snipped of an introductory bio class, right?
Lol! Go on.

A lot of the folks you talk to, whether online or in real life, have a superficial and uninformed opinion of the virus, what works, and what we ought to do.

To this day many if not most people still think the numbers go up and down according to people's behavior. When the numbers go up, that means people are misbehaving. When they go down, people must have started listening to public health officials again.

The fact that people in completely different states with completely different policies see their numbers go up and down at exactly the same time doesn't faze them at all, because they don't bother to inform themselves about what's actually happening.

As if this needed refuting for a thousandth time, I present to you the hospitalization graph for the southern states around the time of the recent spike:

Hospitalizations per Million.jpg

Can you tell which of these states has had a mask mandate during this time?

Can you tell which one has the highest vaccination rate? The lowest?

Of course not: the trajectories and in large part the lines themselves are all the same.

You would think we would be having a discussion about why this should be. Why do these states look exactly the same despite their varying policies implemented at varying times?

A lot of the folks you talk to, whether online or in real life, have a superficial and uninformed opinion of the virus, what works, and what we ought to do.

To this day many if not most people still think the numbers go up and down according to people's behavior. When the numbers go up, that means people are misbehaving. When they go down, people must have started listening to public health officials again.

The fact that people in completely different states with completely different policies see their numbers go up and down at exactly the same time doesn't faze them at all, because they don't bother to inform themselves about what's actually happening.

As if this needed refuting for a thousandth time, I present to you the hospitalization graph for the southern states around the time of the recent spike:

Can you tell which of these states has had a mask mandate during this time?

Can you tell which one has the highest vaccination rate? The lowest?

Of course not: the trajectories and in large part the lines themselves are all the same.

You would think we would be having a discussion about why this should be. Why do these states look exactly the same despite their varying policies implemented at varying times?
Anybody wanna guess what the National graph looks like for cases and deaths?

Lol! Go on.
The basic model for infectious disease has a fixed point at the herd immunity threshold. It is an attractor: cases rise if you are below, and fall if you are above. Most diseases you know are endemic: they hang out at the herd immunity threshold. Covid will one day become endemic.

There. Now you can skip the video and use the six minutes to make some coffee.

The basic model for infectious disease has a fixed point at the herd immunity threshold. It is an attractor: cases rise if you are below, and fall if you are above. Most diseases you know are endemic: they hang out at the herd immunity threshold. Covid will one day become endemic.

Flu doesn't. It mutates enough so that each new variant is considered essentially a new virus which resets the herd immunity threshold for at least part of the population. And that's before you get to zoonotic reserves.

The issue is that COVID may be like flu instead of chicken pox, or even an entero or adeno virus.

Flu doesn't. It mutates enough so that each new variant is considered essentially a new virus which resets the herd immunity threshold for at least part of the population. And that's before you get to zoonotic reserves.

The issue is that COVID may be like flu instead of chicken pox, or even an entero or adeno virus.

Just making shit up again?

You seriously claiming there's a herd immunity threshold for flu? Because as far as I'm aware, it's still around (despite vaccinations and repeated bad flu seasons)
You need Gupta’s painfully slow video.

Herd immunity does not imply a disease is no longer “still around”. That isn’t even close to true.

Anybody wanna guess what the National graph looks like for cases and deaths?
NYT beat you to it.

The graph you showed is for the south. Other regions show a similar shape, except the right hand bulge is much smaller. They have about 1/3 to 1/2 as many cases, hospitalization, and deaths.

That’s because other places have a much better vaccination rate and have not blocked mask policies.

Add the west coast and northeast to your graph. It will look different.

You need Gupta’s painfully slow video.

Herd immunity does not imply a disease is no longer “still around”. That isn’t even close to true.

No...flu isn't just "still around"....it periodically mutates into new forms to cause new epidemics (if not pandemics)

You're case hyping again.

And they did it not even for Popeyes or Chick Fillet but for KFC. Are there even KFCs still around in Socal??? Things are so bad that greasy KFC chicken is considered high value contraband.

It's The Onion except it's real. I believe you are onto something. This never would have been a story if they had a Popeyes chicken sandwich and a side of red beans and rice for each arresting officer.

Back