US Soccer Team

Kneeling during the national anthem at a sporting event does nothing to bring about real change. What it does do is just bring attention to yourself.. Donate some of your time, money and celebrity status to create programs that will create real change. It is a pretty easy thing, that requires no effort at all to take a knee for a couple minutes but contributing your time and resources to invest in something genuine, that can't be put in a tweet or a photo on social media requires genuine investment. Why would you want to wear a jersey with a flag on it when you can't tolerate respecting that flag and the country behind it for a few minutes? It is fine enough for you to get your own personal pleasure and thrill from playing the game on an international level. If you really want to make a meaningful stance, refuse to put that jersey on and say you won't play on a US national team until racism is ended. But that would require a real sacrifice on your part.

Kneeling means you love your country so much that you want to make it a better place, a more humane place, even at great risk to yourself. There’s no greater respect for your country than to educate yourself about a problem in society and work for a solution. And the anthem itself is a political statement, like our pledge of allegiance: “land of the free”...“liberty and justice for all.” They are not snowflake statements.

Kneeling means you love your country so much that you want to make it a better place, a more humane place, even at great risk to yourself. There’s no greater respect for your country than to educate yourself about a problem in society and work for a solution. And the anthem itself is a political statement, like our pledge of allegiance: “land of the free”...“liberty and justice for all.” They are not snowflake statements.
Kneelers have not been taught the basics of respect and it starts with horrible parenting.
This one’s for you, pinko.

I’m thinking that that national anthem at sporting events will be a thing of the past.

Solves a lot of problems. I like to watch movies and sporting events, I like the entertainment. That said, I have zero interest in actors or athletes political, social, or world opinions or views. They provide a good/service I pay for. I tune in to be entertained, not watch a protest or demonstration. If I want to watch that, I’ll turn on the news. I’m sure these same actors and athletes have no use for the opinions of the server at the restaurant they go to. They are there to eat, have a good meal and enjoy their time...paying for the food, service, and experience. They don’t want to listen to the opinion of the service provider.

Solves a lot of problems. I like to watch movies and sporting events, I like the entertainment. That said, I have zero interest in actors or athletes political, social, or world opinions or views. They provide a good/service I pay for. I tune in to be entertained, not watch a protest or demonstration. If I want to watch that, I’ll turn on the news. I’m sure these same actors and athletes have no use for the opinions of the server at the restaurant they go to. They are there to eat, have a good meal and enjoy their time...paying for the food, service, and experience. They don’t want to listen to the opinion of the service provider.
The problem is these sporting events have become a place where people judge and exercise their own rights and beliefs on everyone and I mean both sides. I saw religious people cussing and being drunk and wasted in the name of Christ at a game and it is not what Jesus taught. All because they knelled with the players. It needs to stop. Let's keep religion and protests out of sports if possible. Just play sports and watch the best fight it out. Even youth sports parents judge. I already shared all that. College too is forced on us to be successful or have some self worth and if your a girl and want to play high level soccer after HS, don;t you dare think about the pros and your only allowed to play at the next level, which is college soccer. Ok, that sounds like a choice. Here's my idea Woobie, let the girls play pro and play in college. Winter college ball and then a Spring pro league. Change these stupid rules so the girls can do both and.......

At the end of the day if the politics or protests/demonstrations are going to be part of the pre-game, it’s my choice to watch or not. I’m capable of watching, recording/fast-forwarding or doing something different at a live event. Just like everyone else. Everybody’s choice on how they want to engage, participate, view. I can tune out if I don't want to watch or y out can watch if you do.

UT-Austin Student/Athletes asking for a ylot of change, school song, building name changes, a separate Black Athletic History Section to the Hall of Fame, and special education for incoming Freshman on Racism. There will be others..it’s going to be interesting to see how the University responds...lots of money, donations, endowment at stake. Let’s see how they navigate through this. It’s a no win and there will be fall-out no matter what they decide/do. You are damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

I’m thinking that that national anthem at sporting events will be a thing of the past.
Especially in MLS soccer, for instance, there are many players that were born in another country, but play here. The national anthem doesn’t mean anything to them. And around the world, in other leagues, they don’t play that country’s anthem. The warm up, come out, shake hands (although that’s gone by the wayside these days), and then play.
National anthems played at international matches, I get that. But I think they should do away with it within league play.

Especially in MLS soccer, for instance, there are many players that were born in another country, but play here. The national anthem doesn’t mean anything to them. And around the world, in other leagues, they don’t play that country’s anthem. The warm up, come out, shake hands (although that’s gone by the wayside these days), and then play.
National anthems played at international matches, I get that. But I think they should do away with it within league play.
This is the U S A , we shouldn’t follow anyone and that’s why those players are here.
They are free to return to their country of origin.

At the end of the day if the politics or protests/demonstrations are going to be part of the pre-game, it’s my choice to watch or not. I’m capable of watching, recording/fast-forwarding or doing something different at a live event. Just like everyone else. Everybody’s choice on how they want to engage, participate, view. I can tune out if I don't want to watch or y out can watch if you do.

UT-Austin Student/Athletes asking for a ylot of change, school song, building name changes, a separate Black Athletic History Section to the Hall of Fame, and special education for incoming Freshman on Racism. There will be others..it’s going to be interesting to see how the University responds...lots of money, donations, endowment at stake. Let’s see how they navigate through this. It’s a no win and there will be fall-out no matter what they decide/do. You are damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

You’re only damned if you’re a racist.

She did not risk anything by kneeling. She wasn’t going to lose her spot on the team or her salary. In fact she got a lot of attention for herself and celebrity status for her theatrics. No one has had a counter argument to my original statement. What has she actually done with her time, status or money to support real change in our country? What real effort or programs has she started or initiated? All she does is make statements about hating the president. I do agree, just stop playing the anthem at professional games but require respect shown to our country when playing on a team that is there to represent our country. If you think this country is so hateful and evil then go to another country that you think is better. I see none of these women protesting or making statements about countries that allow beating, stoning, or mutilating women.

She did not risk anything by kneeling. She wasn’t going to lose her spot on the team or her salary. In fact she got a lot of attention for herself and celebrity status for her theatrics. No one has had a counter argument to my original statement. What has she actually done with her time, status or money to support real change in our country? What real effort or programs has she started or initiated? All she does is make statements about hating the president. I do agree, just stop playing the anthem at professional games but require respect shown to our country when playing on a team that is there to represent our country. If you think this country is so hateful and evil then go to another country that you think is better. I see none of these women protesting or making statements about countries that allow beating, stoning, or mutilating women.
SNAP

I grew up near US bases, consulates and embassies in Europe. When Americans abroad represent the USA in a professional / diplomatic capacity, the last thing we want or need is to come across as jingoistic and petty rah rah rah...

Our anthem can be a stirring and beautiful tribute to heroic deeds that should be reserved for when it counts - international events where the opposing county’s anthem is played too so they have an equal chance to show pride for their nation.

I heard somewhere recently that something like 1/4 of MLB players are born abroad. MLS definitely more than that.

Let me get this straight, UNITED STATES Soccer won’t stand for the UNITED STATES National Anthem?

You shouldn’t get to play under our flag on our national team if you won’t stand when it is raised.

Professional athletes can kneel. I don’t like it, but if their league allows it is their right to do so. As a US sponsored athlete in a US sponsored event with the flag on your chest there is no way that you should show any disrespect to to our nations flag if you don’t like the flag and this nation you shouldn’t play for its team.

i hope Trump finds a way to pull their funding if this passes.

Back