US Men's National Team - what went wrong?

Sad day in US Soccer. Many fingers have been pointed to why.
6. Youth Soccer is played by the wealthy, top youth players can't afford club enviroment
Have to disagree with this one. Here in SoCal more minorities play the game of soccer than many other sports.

Maybe the problem is there isn't enough players from SoCal. Men's and Women's teams should only be made up players from SoCal. Pretty sure we would win. ;)

Have to disagree with this one. Here in SoCal more minorities play the game of soccer than many other sports.

Maybe the problem is there isn't enough players from SoCal. Men's and Women's teams should only be made up players from SoCal. Pretty sure we would win. ;)
We could probably find 23 guys between the ages of 19 and 30 around So Cal that would give the team that played last night a run for their money.

Last night is on the players. They looked intimidated by the field and like they were playing not to get hurt.

Stepping away and looking at the overall picture, the problem with US soccer is US Soccer. US Soccer is structurally flawed and only really works around the fringes of improving US soccer, ie buildout lines and small-sided games to name a couple. We have now not qualified for both the Olympics and the World Cup. This is right in the wheelhouse of the players that should have come through DA (20-23 year olds), but as others pointed the team that played last night had few players in this age range ( and please spare me the argument that Pulisic was developed by the DA).

The DA is a fine league but it abject failure at producing world class players which is its stated goal. It hasn't produced these players because it can't. I'm sorry but 8 hours of training a week combined with the fact the US Soccer is not financially invested in the DA (ie pay-to-play) is not a recipe for producing world class players. The proof is in the pudding.

Our failure to develop players is a mult-faceted problem and is in part cultural. However, I want to expand on something the Grace T mentions and that is the mental part of the game. This is more optics than substance but what kind of message did the US players send with pictures of them having to be carried across the flooded track in Trinidad on the backs of the trainers? I understand why it was done but it sends a message of the US players being prima donnas. I see this at the youth level as well. Many coaches are enamored with physical specimens and kids that are fancy dribblers. Yet some of these same kids don't have mental toughness or an IQ for the game. We have all seen that great youth player that gets dinged up a bit or their team get behind in a game and that player disappears. I don't know if that a function of the fact that soccer in the US is more "country club" than a "blue collar" sport like it is in other countries. Nevertheless, the mental game is a huge part of soccer that I think we neglect.

It is the pay to play and lack of promotion relegation that leads to mediocrity. You don't have to excel when you have a monopoly. MLS = Monopoly, DA = Monopoly. Why was the SCDSL formed?so the big clubs could protect themselves and have a monopoly, they can lose every game and still be Tier 1.

Sad day in US Soccer. Many fingers have been pointed to why.
5. MLS weak compared to other world leagues
Trinidad and Tobago's two goals last night were scored by players from the TT Pro League (a local Trinidad league) and the Saudi Professional League (playing for Al-Faisaly FC, the 116th ranked club in Asia). Our keeper, by contrast, spent most of his career in the English Premier League, including a stint at Manchester United. Overall, the Trinidad roster features 7 players from MLS and 11 from the TT Pro League.

The US also didn't even have a major men's professional soccer league when the USMNT qualified for the 1990 World Cup (NASL folded in 1984 and MLS didn't start until 1993).

The DA is a fine league but it abject failure at producing world class players which is its stated goal. It hasn't produced these players because it can't. I'm sorry but 8 hours of training a week combined with the fact the US Soccer is not financially invested in the DA (ie pay-to-play) is not a recipe for producing world class players. The proof is in the pudding..

100% right. The DA is made to create college athletes, who then miss 4 years of professional development. The European Academy system doesn't work that way. If we want to establish an academy system geared at producing potential pros, instead of college players, you would have to limit the amount of DAs around to recruit only the best of the best, have them associated with pro teams only, and they could cherry pick out of the existing club system, and pay for their development...there's probably also a way to build alliances between the MLS teams and European leagues so players could get training abroad. It also means limiting the number of MLS teams instead of continuing the expansion and putting relegation/ascension in place, as well as lifting the limits on the amounts the MLS teams have to spend so we start paying our defenders real money and get people interested in playing the position. But that would upend lots of people's cozy economic models so I'm not optimistic of that happening.

FYI the US U-17 team currently playing in the U-17 World Cup has a sum total of zero players from SoCal.

My take away from US Soccer. It starts from the top down and the hiring of Bruce Arena was a disaster. It was a retread hire and his style is as old as the 90s. What is at the core of the problem is what we look for in a future player. I have seen first hand how the selection process goes it is political, it is flawed, and at it's core we look for athletes not soccer players. We have the mentality that big, fast, athletic overrides everything else, with soccer IQ, touch, processing the game, and ability to play on that stage not even part of the selection process. By the time the players get to the senior level the ones that have the soccer IQs, touch, etc have been weeded out for the most part and what is left isn't world class soccer players, it's the American ideal. We have no soccer identity, we get a player that has decent touch like Bradley and we think he is the next big thing but in the process from ages 15-23 we had hundreds of players better than Bradley's touch but they didn't pass the athleticism test so they were never given a shot. There is no easy fix and the whole model has to be changed but we don't have the soccer imagination, nor the know how to make that change. My guess is we will hire somebody like Alexi Lalas and double down on the American way. This mentality is rampant throughout the girls and boys club team's "give me an athlete and I will mold them into a soccer player" mentality. It is backwards and it is costly on the world stage. The men have been a disaster on the world stage with the exception of some isolated moments and the women have had a huge head start for a couple of decades and now the world has closed that gap as they invest in the women's game. Until coaches at all levels put soccer IQ, ability to read the game with and without the ball, and touch ahead of big, fast, and athletic we will repeat this nightmare over and over again.

I agree with most of this. I will tell you that I am hard pressed to believe that the greatest soccer players aren't world class athletes too. Put Cristiano Ronaldo in the US and I bet he would have been an outstanding football player. The problem isn't the athletes it is the system (administrators, coaching and scouting).

I am still too angry to cry but damn that was unexpected.....

It's easy to point fingers but sometimes teams loose, sometimes the other team was just better that day.
Netherlands have all those things that you pointed out we don't have and their National team also didn't qualify. Chile didn't qualify. Italy still not and have to go through tough playoffs.
Soccer is cruel sport, where better teams not always win.
Our youth soccer and soccer is general is got a lot better than 30 years ago, and trust me 30 years is very short period of time.
We are moving in a right direction and this World Cup setback will makes US soccer stronger.
On the other note, don't we hate Russia and anything to do with Russia anyway?
Trump is going to be pissed.

"19 of the 25 guys on the roster last night were born 1990 or before. They came up way before the current structure is in place. This team was not created by the "Development Academies". The first year that I would say would be developed by our current structure would be the 1996/1997 of which there is only one player from that age bracket and that would be Pulisic. I don't believe you can throw out the DA structure as the reason for the failure as it was not in place for the vast majority of the players on last night's roster."

Yeah- these are the players that haven't been able to qualify for the last 2 Olympics.
What a mess.
We need to quit hiring foreign coaches.

I agree with most of this. I will tell you that I am hard pressed to believe that the greatest soccer players aren't world class athletes too. Put Cristiano Ronaldo in the US and I bet he would have been an outstanding football player. The problem isn't the athletes it is the system (administrators, coaching and scouting).

I am still too angry to cry but damn that was unexpected.....

You can have great athletes with high soccer IQ's but we don't calculate that in our selection process in the US we look for great athletes and believe we can mold them into great soccer players. Your example was a great soccer mind who happens to be a great athlete. Plus comparing soccer players to other sports athletes is a mistake, no one cares in Europe, Asia, Africa, South America, etc, if their football players can compete in the NFL or NBA all they care about is can they compete on the world stage. Until we get to that point we are looking at it in a way that is the root of the problem. No matter how fast one is, no matter how physical one is, no matter how big one is, it doesn't matter if that one can't read the game fast. The fastest player on the field is the one that can process the info the fastest and no one is faster than the ball. Until we change the core of our recruiting process from the youth levels to the senior level we will be in the same cycle of disappointnent.

Would it be too much to ask that the President of the US Soccer Federation not have a parallel career as a lecturer!!

There are many very talented players not playing due to the cost of club. Go to Santa Ana on a Saturday or Sunday and you'll find tons of talent to help your team out.

FYI the US U-17 team currently playing in the U-17 World Cup has a sum total of zero players from SoCal.

UL from the Galaxy is a YNT U17 alternative and the Mexico Youth Teams have some of our Socal US based players in there system. We have the players but they either can't afford to play, are not id'd, given a chance, or simply play elsewhere eventually because the competition & training is not good enough for them to continue developing.

But yes the scouting/selection process needs a major overhaul as does the coaching.

Case in Point; EF the 15 yr old plays for Mexico YNT and made his pro debut as the youngest player in the USL last Wednesday
www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la-sp-alvarez-20170802-story.html

The old/young guys mixed didn't work this go, there is a startling gap in the 23-27 age range.

The competition we have at the youth level is way too closed off, fragmented and there is really no real soccer pyramid , a money $ grabbing free, with the illusion of structure.

We need to start from the bottom up not the top down, this is the biggest failure of US soccer IMO. Too much focus on the wealthier & funded clubs like those in the MLS and complete disregard for anything else. Not that many clubs can afford DA that is 2x or more costly than club for example. Should be the other way around....pay to play is not working for pyramid moves, its all the same.

What has not been mentioned (I think as I read through this thread) is a unified curriculum from the youth level to the national team. One where all participants need to adhere to and be held accountable for. Twellman speaks of it in his rant last night about Germany. France did it as well. Will US Soccer do this???

What has not been mentioned (I think as I read through this thread) is a unified curriculum from the youth level to the national team. One where all participants need to adhere to and be held accountable for. Twellman speaks of it in his rant last night about Germany. France did it as well. Will US Soccer do this???

Agreed about curriculum BUT not system of play. Mandating the 4-3-3 was the dumbest thing the DA has done. Build as soccer IQ please.

Back