Tough road for 2022 class

We’ve let our daughter do all the talking and navigating with the coaches. She’ll come and recap with us after the call and then we’ll help her problem solved next steps, future questions to ask, etc. Finances are parent territory, but the overall relationship is between the student and the coach. Helicopter or controlling parents are going to have a tough time letting their kiddos take the lead here, but coaches are pretty put off by overbearing parents.
Exactly the same. We’ve let our daughter schedule and take all the calls in her room with her door shut. She shares after and asks us if she needs something. We’ve given a little bit of input on questions to ask and how to respond but she also checks in with her club coach on that stuff. It’s been a gradual release of responsibility throughout the recruiting process but she’s driving independently now.

We have had a rough few years...head injury, broken ankle, another sprain and then a broken bone in the foot. Because of that film is spotty at best. Coaches moving her all over the field in spots that she hasn't played. We have not taken college soccer off the table but are being patient with the process knowing it may/may not happen. Academics is foremost. D3 contacted DD and wanted a call while we were on vacation she did the call from the car as we were unloading suitcases....she wouldn't look us in the eye (truth be told we are not a serious family and were making faces at her as we were walking by unloading). It was stressful getting to an area of cell service down to the minute of the call but she came off the call so happy. He was amazing--had been a D1 coach and knows there are kids that want a balance of soccer, academics, etc. I am hoping for a few more calls like that just to help her grow, mature and maybe soccer actually may also come.:cool:

We have had a rough few years...head injury, broken ankle, another sprain and then a broken bone in the foot. Because of that film is spotty at best. Coaches moving her all over the field in spots that she hasn't played. We have not taken college soccer off the table but are being patient with the process knowing it may/may not happen. Academics is foremost. D3 contacted DD and wanted a call while we were on vacation she did the call from the car as we were unloading suitcases....she wouldn't look us in the eye (truth be told we are not a serious family and were making faces at her as we were walking by unloading). It was stressful getting to an area of cell service down to the minute of the call but she came off the call so happy. He was amazing--had been a D1 coach and knows there are kids that want a balance of soccer, academics, etc. I am hoping for a few more calls like that just to help her grow, mature and maybe soccer actually may also come.:cool:
I love how "HOT" you are Speed. Remember, HOT= Honest, Open and Transparent if anyone forgot. Also, when I write, "STFU" I'm saying "freaking" for the F in STFU! D2 or D3 looks very nice to me, great schools, play all the time ((if dd doesnt get hurt)) and be a leader among leaders. So many of our DD were brainwashed into thinking D1 is it. No, IT ((D1 or bust)) is not IT only. This is MOO and not what my kid thinks, FYI :) She thinks for herself. The fact she waited this all out was amazing to me and now she is learning about her likes and dislikes as any adult would. She stands for what she wants and I love that about her. Grades are really swell, on ASB team, team captain at HSS, volunteers to help others and just got a killer job. No AP classes so no Unicorn status. Bummer, not everyone can be a Unicorn and go to Big U......lol!!! She has a big dream still with three goals attached. If she hits the three goals, the dream becomes a reality. If not, she will have other dreams to dream about. I have dream and three goals as well. I would be more than willing to share my dream and goals if anyone would like to know them.

Last edited:
I played a year at Pacific Christian College ((Hope International today)) and let me tell you a funny story. I had a choice to walk on at CSUF and be a practice player at best ((I hustled and I was 100% a pest on defense and passed the rock)). Coach would have had me play defense against Ced all day and slap him around. Or, I could play at PCC and be first team All NCCAA and go play for the championship. I chose PPC and play time. I think I'm #4 on the single season assist record. For personal reasons, I only played one year :)

questions to the group: is it just the Ivy League that uses the academic index, or is it other colleges as well?

questions to the group: is it just the Ivy League that uses the academic index, or is it other colleges as well?

Just the ivy's that I recall use that index.

Due to the COVID-19 waivers and new auto waivers it's easier than ever to get academically NCCA accepted.

For example you could have only 13 of the required 16 courses but with a 2.8 gpa in core course would qualify for auto wavier for D1 or D2 without taking SAT/ACT.

Just the ivy's that I recall use that index.

Due to the COVID-19 waivers and new auto waivers it's easier than ever to get academically NCCA accepted.

For example you could have only 13 of the required 16 courses but with a 2.8 gpa in core course would qualify for auto wavier for D1 or D2 without taking SAT/ACT.
Yup. My dd is going to be applying to many colleges and has a super nice resume. Question bro. Do the D1, D2 and D3 programs ever have "open tryouts" for students on campus to try to make the team as walk on? If yes, any success stories out there?

Yup. My dd is going to be applying to many colleges and has a super nice resume. Question bro. Do the D1, D2 and D3 programs ever have "open tryouts" for students on campus to try to make the team as walk on? If yes, any success stories out there?

All D2's have partial qualifiers automatically if a student is excepted to a D2 university. Partial means you can practice with the team, get a scholarship but if you want to compete need to apply & qualify for NCAA COVID-19 auto wavier with those required 16 courses or a regular auto wavier with the combination like detailed above 2.8gpa + 13 courses.

Walk on is a super tough route nowadays since many programs have players with that extra year of COVID-19 eligibility so grad students, 5th year students, redshirt this or that, etc.

So many programs with 30+ players so getting through on a walk on might be possible with the lesser known ones but normally very difficult. The season is so short and training so compact even getting the ok for the soccer course would be a challenge but if the coaches are really excited about a prospective player never know?

All D2's have partial qualifiers automatically if a student is excepted to a D2 university. Partial means you can practice with the team, get a scholarship but if you want to compete need to apply & qualify for NCAA COVID-19 auto wavier with those required 16 courses or a regular auto wavier with the combination like detailed above 2.8gpa + 13 courses.

Walk on is a super tough route nowadays since many programs have players with that extra year of COVID-19 eligibility so grad students, 5th year students, redshirt this or that, etc.

So many programs with 30+ players so getting through on a walk on might be possible with the lesser known ones but normally very difficult. The season is so short and training so compact even getting the ok for the soccer course would be a challenge but if the coaches are really excited about a prospective player never know?
So no open tryouts for girls soccer? I'm just curious for myself. I got in at Fullerton and they had open tryouts for any student at the school for the basketball team. I went for it and made the first cut but was cut after the second round. I battled and the coach kind of brought up red shirt ((practice squad only)) and I cut him off and said no thanks. I have to be in the game or at least have a shot at playing. One guy made the team from just walking on. No big deal if it's a no.

So no open tryouts for girls soccer? I'm just curious for myself. I got in at Fullerton and they had open tryouts for any student at the school for the basketball team. I went for it and made the first cut but was cut after the second round. I battled and the coach kind of brought up red shirt ((practice squad only)) and I cut him off and said no thanks. I have to be in the game or at least have a shot at playing. One guy made the team from just walking on. No big deal if it's a no.

Haven't heard of any open tryouts for any D1's or D2's but it's always a possibility for some university that maybe don't recruit?

What I have seen is some coaches telling prospective players that walk on's will be considered for the summer training or conditioning programs space permitting if they have already been accepted and registered for that university.

One reason coaches don't like parents involved is because that can't pull the wool over our eyes. We see a crooked salesman coming a mile away.
Coaches are recruiting and in recruiting lies can be told.

I got involved when it came to money because my daughter doesn't pay the bills. I knew parents of 5 star basketball recruits parents that got involved. This is VERY COMMON.

We’ve let our daughter do all the talking and navigating with the coaches. She’ll come and recap with us after the call and then we’ll help her problem solved next steps, future questions to ask, etc. Finances are parent territory, but the overall relationship is between the student and the coach. Helicopter or controlling parents are going to have a tough time letting their kiddos take the lead here, but coaches are pretty put off by overbearing parents.

if the parent is like the Ball family they don't want you for sure.

if the parent is like the Ball family they don't want you for sure.
Unless they can Ball....lol! All joking aside, my dd is doing a fantastic job and I'm super proud of her. She will be 18 at final decision time. I told her if coach has any questions for mom or dad were here to answer. I have zero questions.

There are plenty of "preferred" walk-ons out there, especially this year. But these are players that found their way through the recruiting process but have no scholarship. I'd be interested to know of the walk-on stories how many just walked in blind without making contact in advance. To my knowledge, open tryouts generally don't happen until you get down to smaller D3 and Juco programs.

There are plenty of "preferred" walk-ons out there, especially this year. But these are players that found their way through the recruiting process but have no scholarship. I'd be interested to know of the walk-on stories how many just walked in blind without making contact in advance. To my knowledge, open tryouts generally don't happen until you get down to smaller D3 and Juco programs.
Thanks bro. Based on the what I know, my dd is free if she get's admitted to most schools. That's the hard part, to get in, right? My son is at SDSU. He applied to all the state schools and a few private. He got three acceptance letters. If my dd get's accepted, can she just go and talk to the coach and tell him or her she would like to tryout? This is just me asking btw. I have a real good pal and his dd is a freshman this year. She chose her school in 8th grade. He said she will not play this year and probably never again unless she finds greener pasture and this is causing depression already. The coach that liked her is no more. She is already looking to transfer.

Thanks bro. Based on the what I know, my dd is free if she get's admitted to most schools. That's the hard part, to get in, right? My son is at SDSU. He applied to all the state schools and a few private. He got three acceptance letters. If my dd get's accepted, can she just go and talk to the coach and tell him or her she would like to tryout? This is just me asking btw. I have a real good pal and his dd is a freshman this year. She chose her school in 8th grade. He said she will not play this year and probably never again unless she finds greener pasture and this is causing depression already. The coach that liked her is no more. She is already looking to transfer.
Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore. My DD has a college sophomore friend who was disillusioned enuf to leave the team. There are also plenty of unrecruited 22's on DD's team who are questioning whether they want to keep banging their heads against the recruiting wall. Dreams appear to be unravelling fast.
This is total speculation on my part, but I suspect that is the case with tryouts. If I were on the other end, I might ask for some video or history before granting it since my roster is likely pretty full.

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore. My DD has a college sophomore friend who was disillusioned enuf to leave the team. There are also plenty of unrecruited 22's on DD's team who are questioning whether they want to keep banging their heads against the recruiting wall. Dreams appear to be unravelling fast.
This is total speculation on my part, but I suspect that is the case with tryouts. If I were on the other end, I might ask for some video or history before granting it since my roster is likely pretty full.
One like me can only dream sometimes. I had dreams for my dd but she has her own dreams and will blaze her own trail, whatever trail she so chooses. My pal feels like he just left Kansas after the mess his poor dd is in. No fault of anyone living this nightmare right about now. Coach got whacked. Some of the Sharks are getting a rude awakening from what I hear as well. It will 100% battle test us all. I wish it could be better. I saw one school has 46 players. I can see now how hard it would be to just walk up and expect to make the squad and be #47 or knock off #46 and work your way up to travel squad. I played some college basketball but this is hard stuff to swim through. Thanks for keeping it real. BTW, I'm no Toto. I dont hang with Cowards, Liars, scared little Wimps, Cheats & Witches and those with no heart. I go solo like all Lions. Here me roar today....lol

One like me can only dream sometimes. I had dreams for my dd but she has her own dreams and will blaze her own trail, whatever trail she so chooses. My pal feels like he just left Kansas after the mess his poor dd is in. No fault of anyone living this nightmare right about now. Coach got whacked. Some of the Sharks are getting a rude awakening from what I hear as well. It will 100% battle test us all. I wish it could be better. I saw one school has 46 players. I can see now how hard it would be to just walk up and expect to make the squad and be #47 or knock off #46 and work your way up to travel squad. I played some college basketball but this is hard stuff to swim through. Thanks for keeping it real. BTW, I'm no Toto. I dont hang with Cowards, Liars, scared little Wimps, Cheats & Witches and those with no heart. I go solo like all Lions. Here me roar today....lol
Some of these stories don’t sound right to me. My daughter was recruited by a lot of D1 schools and our family went through a lot of Zoom calls. Every school except for one wanted to meet the entire family including the family including siblings, this was very important to them and in some regard we were all being interviewed. They all understood family budget is the big elephant in the room and teenagers aren’t qualified to make those decisions on their own.

Money is not brought up in early discussions except for Ivys. We talked to just about every Ivy and they let us know they were very interested in my daughter but Ivy’s aren’t for every family because of no Athletic scholarships and you don’t find out if your admitted until very late in the recruiting process and may have to for go

Some of these stories don’t sound right to me. My daughter was recruited by a lot of D1 schools and our family went through a lot of Zoom calls. Every school except for one wanted to meet the entire family including siblings. This was very important to them and in some regard we were all being interviewed. They all understood family budget is the big elephant in the room and teenagers aren’t qualified to make family budget decisions on their own.

Money is not brought up in early discussions except for Ivys. We talked to just about every Ivy and they let us know they were very interested in my daughter but Ivy’s aren’t for every family because of no Athletic scholarships and you don’t find out if your admitted until very late in the recruiting process and may have to for go other opportunities. They referred us to the financial aid calculator the Ivy’s use for qualifying families for aid.

In my opinion it is not wise to let your child take the lead in these discussions after all this is a business for coaches and their lively hoods are on the line with their decision, the family should take the same business like approach.

I hope this can help families out.

Some of these stories don’t sound right to me. My daughter was recruited by a lot of D1 schools and our family went through a lot of Zoom calls. Every school except for one wanted to meet the entire family including the family including siblings, this was very important to them and in some regard we were all being interviewed. They all understood family budget is the big elephant in the room and teenagers aren’t qualified to make those decisions on their own.

Money is not brought up in early discussions except for Ivys. We talked to just about every Ivy and they let us know they were very interested in my daughter but Ivy’s aren’t for every family because of no Athletic scholarships and you don’t find out if your admitted until very late in the recruiting process and may have to for go
Each family is unique and each soon to be adult is unique. Not everyone has Ivy's after their kid either and a lot of D1s, FYI. No offense, but if you plan on state or local little school, I'm not so sure they need to meet all my kids family and siblings. I'm assuming she has a very high GPA and SAT and highly sought after student who can ball? To each his own is my motto. These are real life stories. They dont sound right to me either but not all dd have a success story yet like yours. Congrats bro. I have never heard about meeting the whole family and the siblings but no Ivys either.. That's cool to and your dd must be really special person and I mean that. My pals dd committed back in 8th grade on a one call close. I actually think your dd story is wonderful and I applaud it and wish her the best. I wont deny a little jealousy even :) Not all stories have such happiness to it..

Back