Torn ACL

We did not discuss the BEAR implant. I have a close relationship with our surgeon so I will ask him.

My girls did the following: Thing 1 - patellar for right, patellar for left; Thing 2 - quad for right, patellar for left. Despite being identical, Thing 2's growth plates were a bit more open (long story as to likely why and not relevant here) and he felt that quad made more sense. This time, they are physiologically identical and their procedures are.

My understanding is that this surgeon does NOT do hamstring grafts for young athletes (perhaps non-athletes) and that the failure is higher and the impact on the athlete is greater. I have a family member who tore her ACL twice and the 2d time had to use hamstring (rather than cadaver (the highest failure rate among young athletes) or quad) b/c of the prior surgery (not the same surgeon for the 2d one for this person).

In looking at the BEAR implant just now, I am confident that while this injury will not go away, treatment will be very different in 5 or 10 years than it is today (just like it is so different compared to what it was when we were kids)

Rehab with the BEAR implant follows a pretty similar timeline as an graft-based ACL repair for an injury with no meniscus involvement (and despite what an MRI might say, one does not know whether there is meniscus until the wound is open - bruising is hard to detect on MRI and some bruising will be treated similarly to a tear (that is, no weight bearing for a longer stretch)). I can't see in the BEAR materials any reference to what happens if there is meniscus involvement (I am sure that info is there) but that may be why some surgeons are still not using it.

12914 - MMAN - Miach RevH BEAR Rehab Protocol Packet_V4 JD (miachortho.com)

Thing 2 (she was 2d born of my twins and her tears were #2 and #4 of the 4 injuries the two have had) had quad tendon for her right ACL tear (in 2021). I don't recall whether it was with an "internal brace". I will check her chart if I can and message you if I have any insight.

And, Papa, it was lame of me to only say "thank you" w/o commenting about your daughter. Prior to joining this club, I'd have felt bad for her and for you. But the transition from having gone through it, "feeling bad" is now "feeling ill". I'm so sorry.

Damn, Red Card. As a parent, you know exactly what we are going through. And, as kids, your daughter knows what my girls are going through. Your girl is going to make coach happy to have shown patience. I can feel it!
Dk_b I didn’t sense any lack of compassion in your reply:) Besides the cumulative pain we know you are going through would excuse you from all!
The last week has been a rollercoaster for us. My daughter is in her first semester at college and was a month and a half into training. She was pretty fit going in but the week prior to her injury she had mentioned to me that she felt like an old lady. She had come from a pretty intense training environment but I guess 7AM training sessions plus the weight room and 20000 steps a day walking to class might have been too much. My daughter was not the only one who tore her ACL in non-contact this week either so my opinion is that there was some overtraining going on.
Anyway, the team ortho is offering only a patellar graft and after my crash course on outcomes and benefits/risks I am convinced that the quad is the best option these days. My research led me to Dr Mackay who has a clinic in Scotland and does the knees on most pro futballers in Europe many times uses an internal brace to repair instead of reconstruction. Some are back
On the field 6 months later. These tears appear to have to be directly off the femur which does not seem to be the case with many young player tears and my daughters ruptured in the middle. His team was very responsive and they put me in touch with a surgeon in New York, Dr Defilice ,who has made a name for himself in the area of repairs but also with reconstruction using the IB as a seat belt to the graft which alows PT to get more aggressive earlier and shorten recovery times.
We have also been intrigued with the BEAR implant but once again this is only available for proximal tears which usually happen to older players.
I want to say thank you to everyone who has contributed here. It has been helpful and therapeutic as we try to turn our grieving into a plan of action. I hope to add to this resource as our family goes through this journey.

Question for those who are further down the recovery road, at what point post surgery did your DD feel like she was back to 100%? Mine is 15 months post surgery and feels as though she is 85-90% of the way back, but still has some catching up to do with her teammates who didn’t miss a year of soccer.

Question for those who are further down the recovery road, at what point post surgery did your DD feel like she was back to 100%? Mine is 15 months post surgery and feels as though she is 85-90% of the way back, but still has some catching up to do with her teammates who didn’t miss a year of soccer.
I think it’s pretty hard to compare recovery schedules because of all the variables. My DD told us she felt “back” at about a year post op. She had the benefit of playing a good bit of soccer to get there though. She had a relatively uncomplicated tear with no meniscal damage.

First ACL tears (right knees) occurred in spring 2021 (March and May, respectively). Not sure what they'd say but I think they were "back" in fall of 2022 but spring of 2022 (when they were cleared) and last summer had unusually light schedules so they did not log that many in-game mins until the fall. Perhaps with a normal game schedule, they'd have seemed fully back a bit earlier. That's what we are hoping this go round.

I think it’s pretty hard to compare recovery schedules because of all the variables. My DD told us she felt “back” at about a year post op. She had the benefit of playing a good bit of soccer to get there though. She had a relatively uncomplicated tear with no meniscal damage.

Very true about the variables. Mine tore her meniscus as well and then about a month into her return to play the knee blew up and they had to drain it. Scar tissue build up was causing inflammation, so she needed a scar revision procedure, which shut her down for a bit. Stop start, stop start.

So my daughter is exactly one week Post-surgery. The pain and lack of mobility was real, especially the first two days when there were two settings , 10/10 pain or an Oxy comma.
by day three were able to wean away from the heavy meds. PT starts tomorrow…gotta get that quad to wake up.

So my daughter is exactly one week Post-surgery. The pain and lack of mobility was real, especially the first two days when there were two settings , 10/10 pain or an Oxy comma.
by day three were able to wean away from the heavy meds. PT starts tomorrow…gotta get that quad to wake up.

Do you have a continuous ice machine and a CPM? Those were two things my girls really liked (using frozen water bottle instead of ice to save on the mess). My nieces did not like the CPM but my girls were on it as much as Dr permitted. Every kid is different.

She - and you - are over the worst of it. Thinking of you two.

The idea of the CPM is new to me. She is getting her post-op therapy through her athletic department. I asked her to get with her trainer to see if this is an option. Thanks!

Unfortunately my oldest daughter just joined this infamous club. The injury occurred during spring training last Wednesday. Non contact, stretching for a cross played in and her cleat got caught up in the turf. This was on their alternate practice field due to them just laying down new sod. Surgery May 8th. ACL & Meniscus torn. She will be using the University's surgeon. There is some great feedback on here. Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately my oldest daughter just joined this infamous club. The injury occurred during spring training last Wednesday. Non contact, stretching for a cross played in and her cleat got caught up in the turf. This was on their alternate practice field due to them just laying down new sod. Surgery May 8th. ACL & Meniscus torn. She will be using the University's surgeon. There is some great feedback on here. Thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear and best wishes for a successful repair & rehab.

Sorry to hear this. She will get better and be back stronger.

So sorry to hear. The good news is that she will make a full recovery. My 07 is finally getting back to full speed. I’d highly recommend using the machine that moves her leg for the first 10 days after surgery. That made a big difference IMO. Once she returned to play we ditched the bladed cleats and now she only uses cleats with conical studs. Too much of a risk of the blades snagging on the turf.

Really sorry that she will be going through this. Feel free to message w/questions, venting, etc.

Of all of the organizations and clubs I have been a part of I wish our fraternity/sorority of parents group would perish from this earth, but unfortunately until the better minds figure out the formula to prevent our daughters and sons (more daughters than sons I truly believe) here we are. Please ask questions, don't make assumptions and good luck to you and your daughter, it's a process. Let the grieving complete and move on

Of all of the organizations and clubs I have been a part of I wish our fraternity/sorority of parents group would perish from this earth, but unfortunately until the better minds figure out the formula to prevent our daughters and sons (more daughters than sons I truly believe) here we are. Please ask questions, don't make assumptions and good luck to you and your daughter, it's a process. Let the grieving complete and move on
I've noticed the more daughters than sons thing too. Do we think this is just some bias on these forums / the people I know or are women more susceptible to these injuries than men?

Also, sorry to hear this @Lightning Red .

I've noticed the more daughters than sons thing too. Do we think this is just some bias on these forums / the people I know or are women more susceptible to these injuries than men?

Also, sorry to hear this @Lightning Red .

Rate of soccer ACL tears is higher - significantly, I think - with girls/women than with boys/men so that may be why you see parents of daughters in these discussions than parents of sons. One healthcare worker simplified one variable this way (I did not independently verify this claim): when boys enter puberty, their relative hamstring strength goes up while girls' relative hamstring strength goes down. We know that the quad:hammy balance is a critical variable in the risk of ACL tears so that sex-based difference may be a reason why we see differences (esp in non-contact scenarios).

Back