Thanksgiving Surf challenge

Here is a closer look at the home cookin going on at Surf Thanksgiving . These are national rankings according to Youth Soccer Rankings USA.
CO Storm South #72

For CO Storm it seems like they are looking more at the GotSoccer rankings. Their ranked 15th Nationally on there, but 6792 of their 8474 points on GotSoccer come for finishing 2nd place in CSA 2016/2017 Colorado Champions League. Comparatively league results aren't posted for CAS teams.

After looking at some of the rankings within GotSoccer I don't really agree with how their ranking system works. One team I looked at who had a decent ranking spent the summer playing AYSO teams to gain points.

Last edited:
Here is a closer look at the home cookin going on at Surf Thanksgiving . These are national rankings according to Youth Soccer Rankings USA.
Bracket A
Crossfire G06A #183 (?)
CO Storm South #72
San Diego Surf EGSL #1
Eagles SC EGSL #52

Bracket B
Albion SC G06 #4
Anaheim Surf G06 EGSL #5
LA Galaxy San Diego G06 #11
Utah Avalanche 2006 #52

Bracket C
Legends FC G06 #2
San Juan SC Spirits 06 Blue #9
SC Blues G06 #23
OC Strikers FC EGSL 2006 #6
S21-your grouping looks like the group of death. As each of those teams is very talented. Your girls are certainly getting what you deserve in playing some quality competition. Best of luck!

For CO Storm it seems like they are looking more at the GotSoccer rankings. Their ranked 15th Nationally on there, but 6792 of their 8474 points on GotSoccer come for finishing 2nd place in CSA 2016/2017 Colorado Champions League. Comparatively league results aren't posted for CAS teams.

After looking at some of the rankings within GotSoccer I don't really agree with how their ranking system works. One team I looked at who had a decent ranking spent the summer playing AYSO teams to gain points.
I was referring to Youth Soccer ranking . US . The got soccer rankings appear to be way off base. I'm excited to have 3 very strong teams in our pool. Also getting to play San Juan and Strikers two teams we have yet to face. Good luck to all the teams heading out to San Diego next weekend.

S21-your grouping looks like the group of death. As each of those teams is very talented. Your girls are certainly getting what you deserve in playing some quality competition. Best of luck!
Group B looks to be equally as tough. I have not seen Albion play but Anaheim Surf is the real deal.

I was referring to Youth Soccer ranking . US . The got soccer rankings appear to be way off base. I'm excited to have 3 very strong teams in our pool. Also getting to play San Juan and Strikers two teams we have yet to face. Good luck to all the teams heading out to San Diego next weekend.
San Juan plays a nice game of soccer. Should be a fun game to watch.

Is not. It's all about money, money money. This is why they make three tiers. Flight 1, 2 and three. If they really wanted to make it the best of the best out there, they should make it only flight one and would have the criteria listed on their website. Money, money, money.
For what its worth, Surf Cup ("The Best of the Best") and Surf College Cup (UOlders) are put on by Surf Cup Sports. Surf Thanksgiving Challenge is put on by Surf Soccer club and only for the ULittles. Their claim isn't The Best of the Best". Like what was previously posted, its the best of those that want to play on a holiday weekend.

As for it being about money and the number of tiers... Of course it is. It is a club fundraiser. It is no different than any other tournament (Blues cup, Albion, etc.). If every club could field a tournament with 3 tiers, they would... including Anaheim Surf.

Ha! I was up top in the stadium watching the game. Great view.
Your girls were bringing it the second half. I was glad to get out of there with a tie. Was that your DD you made that corner kick. That was an awesome shot. I was right there on the end line . Hooked it right in.

It's unfortunate that a team that is higher ranked than many of the teams in flight 1 has been relegated to flight 2. The SoCal Academy girls beat eagles in league and a fair share of tournament success yet were relegated to flight 2 while eagles were not. I guess there's always state cup....

Your girls were bringing it the second half. I was glad to get out of there with a tie. Was that your DD you made that corner kick. That was an awesome shot. I was right there on the end line . Hooked it right in.
It was. No idea how it bent like that. That maybe one of the best games those 2 teams have had against one another.

I've asked several times with no answer from the organizers if the build-out line will be used. Anyone know for sure? Considering the divergence of build-out line use in league play, you would think they would make it clear what the tournament rule will be. Thanks!

For what its worth, Surf Cup ("The Best of the Best") and Surf College Cup (UOlders) are put on by Surf Cup Sports. Surf Thanksgiving Challenge is put on by Surf Soccer club and only for the ULittles. Their claim isn't The Best of the Best". Like what was previously posted, its the best of those that want to play on a holiday weekend.

As for it being about money and the number of tiers... Of course it is. It is a club fundraiser. It is no different than any other tournament (Blues cup, Albion, etc.). If every club could field a tournament with 3 tiers, they would... including Anaheim Surf.

It's not a club fundraiser. If it was, they wouldn't charge so much and have it three times a year. It's a money maker not a fund raiser.

I've asked several times with no answer from the organizers if the build-out line will be used. Anyone know for sure? Considering the divergence of build-out line use in league play, you would think they would make it clear what the tournament rule will be. Thanks!
Their website now has a scroll displaying the unique rules for U11 and under.

Punts Allowed
No Heading
No Build Out Line

It's not a club fundraiser. If it was, they wouldn't charge so much and have it three times a year. It's a money maker not a fund raiser.
Soooo, Raising funds and making money are two different things? Ok...
I didn't realize there were rules to how you can make money for your club. Surf has been doing it wrong all along, I guess.

Soooo, Raising funds and making money are two different things? Ok...
I didn't realize there were rules to how you can make money for your club. Surf has been doing it wrong all along, I guess.

Hey smartness, fundraising is commonly attached to nonprofits. What Surf is doing is making a profit. And their club fees are one of the highest. Specially when they make you book only in certain hotels. They also get a cut from that too. But it's hurting them now, since the prices of their tournaments are higher not a lot of clubs are attending.

Hey smartness, fundraising is commonly attached to nonprofits. What Surf is doing is making a profit. And their club fees are one of the highest. Specially when they make you book only in certain hotels. They also get a cut from that too. But it's hurting them now, since the prices of their tournaments are higher not a lot of clubs are attending.
Relax, Champ. Take a deep breath. You have so many convoluted thoughts in this one post, I don't even know where to start.
I love it when Ulittles act like they know what they are talking about.
First, soccer clubs ARE non-profits. Yes, even Surf. Just because you are a non-profit doesn't mean you are poor. I suggest you look up the definition of a non-profit.
Next, Surf's club fees are not the highest. Considering the club has a one time fee that includes uniforms, field space, coaches fees, etc. Other clubs charge a fee, then you need to pay for uniforms, a monthly coach's fee and you need to help fundraise for field equipment, light rental, field rental, etc. All things considered, Surf is probably right in the upper middle as far as total fees are concerned. And, if your kid doesn't play for Surf, why do you care what their fees are?
As far as the lack of teams in their tournament, you were the one who originally complained about the number of tiers. If they are hurting for teams, how do they have 3 tiers?

So......gonna be a great weekend for a tournament!

For what's worth (not much), IMO, surf runs two true destination tournaments that generally draw top talent and are worthy of a higher price tag (thanksgiving not as much because Dallas has its own big thanksgiving tournament and many teams just don't want to travel/play on the holiday). They know how to run big tournaments and generally do it right (hopefully they learned from mistakes of summer with new rules and fields). All clubs with tournaments try to do the exact same thing as surf, but most don't have the prestige to charge the higher price. our hotel block pricing was competitive to the hotel chain's posted prices so we weren't price gouged like other tournaments do.

As many of you have mentioned earlier, some of the most talented teams are skipping this tournament for many reasons....I did notice that most of those teams are participating in tournament of champions for this age group (double the participation in this tournament). so that may be a more interesting tournament to watch for just CAS teams in 2006 prior to state cup...

Good luck to all this weekend..

Back