SW Conference Split

He has a DD.....and it is confusing to cross post boys-girls........this seems to be widely agreed......the ECNL was girls only when this forum was created......I was politely noting how I've been guilty of the same cross posting error........ hopefully Dom can help us all out.....

Mixed division just means it won't be tier'd based on previous results.....

@zags77 that is a good stab...... my guess is that one of the AZ teams is paired in the same division as Heat........ I'll have a guess too.....I don't think it will be purely geographic but that is a cool idea as I would love the quick drives to Eagles, Breakers and Beach......

Division 9 - Eagles, Blues, LA Breakers, LAFC Slammers, Legends, Strikers, Sharks, Rising, AZ Arsenal
Division 8 - Real, Surf, Slammers, Rebels, Beach, Arsenal, Heat, Royals

No possible way this works. It's logical, good competition and makes sense...no way this will fly in club soccer.

Based on geography here is my stab at the split:

North - Eagles, Real So Cal, LA Breakers, Beach, LAFC Slammers, Arsenal, Legends, Heat FC
South - SD Surf, Rebels, Del Mar, Blues, Strikers, Slammers, Royals, Rising, AZ Arsenal

The out of state teams are a coin flip but i bet they keep them in the same division for travel purposes.
Two questions on this proposed split...
1 - Will there be a LAFC Slammers seeing that Real So Cal will become LAFC So Cal Youth.
2 - If LAFC Slammers loses their LAFC title, Will ECNL keep 2 Slammer teams in the league????

They split the North East conference from last year in half, 9/9. Now they are called New England and North Atlantic. Travel has been so much better.

I saw an interview with Lavers a while back and he said improving travel was one of their big priorities.

With the new clubs being added this year i won't be surprised to see a couple of other conferences split into smaller groupings. The NW conference could be split in three, and the Midwest conference could probably be split in two, although 8 looks like the minimum number they would go with, so who knows?

Two questions on this proposed split...
1 - Will there be a LAFC Slammers seeing that Real So Cal will become LAFC So Cal Youth.
2 - If LAFC Slammers loses their LAFC title, Will ECNL keep 2 Slammer teams in the league????
This is the new LAFC Slammers. Slammers FC will still have 2 in ECNL per age group

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20210520-134045_Instagram.jpg
    SmartSelect_20210520-134045_Instagram.jpg
    494.8 KB · Views: 74
They split the North East conference from last year in half, 9/9. Now they are called New England and North Atlantic. Travel has been so much better.

I saw an interview with Lavers a while back and he said improving travel was one of their big priorities.

With the new clubs being added this year i won't be surprised to see a couple of other conferences split into smaller groupings. The NW conference could be split in three, and the Midwest conference could probably be split in two, although 8 looks like the minimum number they would go with, so who knows?

Yes I remember that was the plan for both girls and boys groups overall. The SW conference just implemented something in that time frame for a few age groups for the boys and now they are going back to that again but including both girls and boys this time around.

My understanding is the SW is not being split into two seperate conferences for 21-22' like what was done for the girls in the Northeast but rather two different intra or sub divisions within the SW.

What those intra divisions within the SW should like is up for debating. Some think it should be strictly based on geography, others by past competitve results. Personally I think it's better to take both into consideration for a subdivision of the SW conference. South and North divisions might work but would rather see the top 8 or so teams/clubs divided on among the divisions rather than leaving that up to geo location by chance.

I think the NW is already in 3:
Mountain - 6 teams in CO and UT
Bay Area - 8 teams From Marin in North to San Jose in south to Sacramento in the east
Pacific - 9 teams in Washington, Oregon and Idaho

Yes I remember that was the plan for both girls and boys groups overall. The SW conference just implemented something in that time frame for a few age groups for the boys and now they are going back to that again but including both girls and boys this time around.

My understanding is the SW is not being split into two seperate conferences for 21-22' like what was done for the girls in the Northeast but rather two different intra or sub divisions within the SW.

What those intra divisions within the SW should like is up for debating. Some think it should be strictly based on geography, others by past competitve results. Personally I think it's better to take both into consideration for a subdivision of the SW conference. South and North divisions might work but would rather see the top 8 or so teams/clubs divided on among the divisions rather than leaving that up to geo location by chance.

This is an interesting post and points........the issues as I see it for deciding into a top 8-9 and lower 8-9 would be a few things...... one would be for clubs whose girls are in the middle like Strikers, Heat, Breakers or even Real, if they are put in the top division they will lose most weeks.....if they are put in the lower division they will win most weeks but does that mean they get easy Champions League spots in most age groups..... or is it closed to the lower 8? If it is closed off how would best teams at these mid-table clubs feel playing for nothing? Then for the like of Slammers LAFC teams, Surf and Blues they have to battle for the same spots.....I think it would have more negative points than good points......f.w.i.w I was told the bottom clubs, middle clubs and top clubs will be evenly distributed......but I supposed we will have to wait and see what the league does...........

I think the NW is already in 3:
Mountain - 6 teams in CO and UT
Bay Area - 8 teams From Marin in North to San Jose in south to Sacramento in the east
Pacific - 9 teams in Washington, Oregon and Idaho

I've never followed that conference, but are each of the three groupings primarily playing against teams in their own area? Maybe its semantics, but if so i don't understand why they consider it one conference and not three.

I've never followed that conference, but are each of the three groupings primarily playing against teams in their own area? Maybe its semantics, but if so i don't understand why they consider it one conference and not three.
unfortunately this is my first year for ECNL, so I think that changes things a bit -- in that yes they are only playing within their own division other than those that have traveled to National Events (NorCal hasn't traveled since November). I also think it was 2 previously?

This is an interesting post and points........the issues as I see it for deciding into a top 8-9 and lower 8-9 would be a few things...... one would be for clubs whose girls are in the middle like Strikers, Heat, Breakers or even Real, if they are put in the top division they will lose most weeks.....if they are put in the lower division they will win most weeks but does that mean they get easy Champions League spots in most age groups..... or is it closed to the lower 8? If it is closed off how would best teams at these mid-table clubs feel playing for nothing? Then for the like of Slammers LAFC teams, Surf and Blues they have to battle for the same spots.....I think it would have more negative points than good points......f.w.i.w I was told the bottom clubs, middle clubs and top clubs will be evenly distributed......but I supposed we will have to wait and see what the league does...........
The "smart" thing would be to do it by age group, with the top half being the top Div next year and the bottom half being the bottom. New clubs start in the bottom Div. New age groups (U13) get the Div based on their club "coefficient" from the prior season. Bottom 3 go down and top 3 go up each year.

Clubs would potentially have some teams in Div 1 and some in Div 2 depending on which age groups they may be stronger in.

That would be "smart", like what Pep said about the ESL, ““It is not a sport where the relation between the effort and the success, the effort and the reward, does not exist. It is not a sport where success is already guaranteed or it is not a sport when it doesn’t matter where you lose."

ECNL is allowing too many clubs to be mediocre, they just stay in the league. Now that they have so many in the SW, they could use it to develop something, something like an Elite League where you are there based on merit.

In preCOVID years, the NW conference would schedule 2 weekends of intergroup games, 1 home and 1 away, with the remaining games local. The slots for Champions League would go to the leaders in each group plus ones for another or two runner-up teams based on overall group record.

With goal differential (not averaged) as the tiebreaker after PPG for post season standings, the larger conferences really have an advantage.

I’m glad our subgroupings in the Northwest conference are geographical. I don’t miss the cost of league game travel that we had in DA. Of course you all in the Southwest aren’t quite as spread out as we are.

Back