Surf Cup

soccer4us

SILVER ELITE
I'm curious what Nor Cal clubs/ages are planning to attend Surf Cup in Phoenix end of December/early January.

Hopefully the event takes place but appears to be a toss up if cases/hospitalizations continue rising for the next 4-5 weeks.

I'm curious what Nor Cal clubs/ages are planning to attend Surf Cup in Phoenix end of December/early January.

Hopefully the event takes place but appears to be a toss up if cases/hospitalizations continue rising for the next 4-5 weeks.
If cases get worse, it makes sense to put it off yet again. Too many flights/hotels/restaurants/crowds. At some point, individual kids cancel, but I don’t know when that is.

That said, I really wish the state would carve out some kind of loophole to allow some kind of local games. Even two games a month would be enough to keep my kid happy through June.

If cases get worse, it makes sense to put it off yet again. Too many flights/hotels/restaurants/crowds. At some point, individual kids cancel, but I don’t know when that is.

That said, I really wish the state would carve out some kind of loophole to allow some kind of local games. Even two games a month would be enough to keep my kid happy through June.
Honestly, I wish they would just cancel already. It would be nice to give players a natural break for the holidays. Stay home, be with your families, etc. It's a narrow view, but AZ players would benefit from the natural winter break.

For AZ teams, this forces players to make decisions, unless HS winter sports are pushed back into late JAN, which is possible at this point. Hell, it's possible that the county pulls the plug on fields over the holidays.

I know the CA teams haven't played as much and would like to get in some games. It's too bad that CA can't figure out how to safely play youth soccer, keep people from traveling outside of the state, etc. I know surf sports l needs a revenue generating event and Phoenix area hospitality industry would also certainly benefit. We will see what happens.

Honestly, I wish they would just cancel already. It would be nice to give players a natural break for the holidays. Stay home, be with your families, etc. It's a narrow view, but AZ players would benefit from the natural winter break.

For AZ teams, this forces players to make decisions, unless HS winter sports are pushed back into late JAN, which is possible at this point. Hell, it's possible that the county pulls the plug on fields over the holidays.

I know the CA teams haven't played as much and would like to get in some games. It's too bad that CA can't figure out how to safely play youth soccer, keep people from traveling outside of the state, etc. I know surf sports l needs a revenue generating event and Phoenix area hospitality industry would also certainly benefit. We will see what happens.
HS soccer has been pushed with no date set, dependent on some dashboard or other. I agree that there's no guarantee that it'll start before Christmas.

I see Brophy just told all parents that you can't do club sports and in-person learning, no exceptions. So online for any kids that want to do club.

If I had to guess in CA, it could be summer before games allowed. MAYBE April if a vaccine readily available to the masses in CA but that will be delayed because of Newsome's lack of trust in vaccine being made right now.

If I had to bet 100k, I'd say Mayors and Surf cup will get cancelled but hopeful they can occur. The trend is just not good and most likely will get worse with thanksgiving.

What is Brophy?

If I had to guess in CA, it could be summer before games allowed. MAYBE April if a vaccine readily available to the masses in CA but that will be delayed because of Newsome's lack of trust in vaccine being made right now.

If I had to bet 100k, I'd say Mayors and Surf cup will get cancelled but hopeful they can occur. The trend is just not good and most likely will get worse with thanksgiving.

What is Brophy?
The Brophy comment was in reply to an AZ comment. Its an all boys private school in Phoenix. It's also packed full of top sports talent from across the valley and across clubs, so multiple MLS Next and ECNL players (and other leagues in AZ). Its had a lot of COVID clusters in its sports teams, football, swimming, wrestling etc.

On the AZ front, some school districts are starting to go back into online from 11/23. I'd say Surf Cup in Phoenix is at best touch and go at this point.

The Brophy comment was in reply to an AZ comment. Its an all boys private school in Phoenix. It's also packed full of top sports talent from across the valley and across clubs, so multiple MLS Next and ECNL players (and other leagues in AZ). Its had a lot of COVID clusters in its sports teams, football, swimming, wrestling etc.

On the AZ front, some school districts are starting to go back into online from 11/23. I'd say Surf Cup in Phoenix is at best touch and go at this point.
Thanks. It seems wild to me a school can have that control over families. While I understand the school wants to keep itself and students/faculy safe, so unfair to the children to that on them.

I agree with you on surf cup. I heard some from some at the current AZ ecnl event good chance it's cancelled. I imagine we'll know more shortly after thanksgiving or so. I believe Nevada is seeing how the next 2 weeks ago before making a decision on Mayors Cup.

If the NCAA extends the D1 blackout period again (March 2021) like anticipated next week Surf once again is cursed it seems and another reschedule could be coming especially with the recent upticks.

Since a high majority of teams are travelling to this event and advisories have been published at this point it's sort of a gamble to plan on attending.

Thanks. It seems wild to me a school can have that control over families. While I understand the school wants to keep itself and students/faculy safe, so unfair to the children to that on them.

I agree with you on surf cup. I heard some from some at the current AZ ecnl event good chance it's cancelled. I imagine we'll know more shortly after thanksgiving or so. I believe Nevada is seeing how the next 2 weeks ago before making a decision on Mayors Cup.

ASA (Arizona Soccer Association) put out a notice yesterday that for now, Soccer in AZ remains viable. There hasn't been any report of spread within a single team, club, or between opponents. Teams have been quarantined due to positive test, but spread hasn't occurred within teams. Sounds like protocols have been working. Was at a game last night where everyone on the sideline was wearing masks. I must say, it's the first time I've seen everyone wearing masks once they are situated on the sideline. Put on your mask and call it a day - there are bigger grenades to jump on than mask wearing. I think it's silly to wear a mask outside when more than 10 ft apart from others but oh well, kids are playing soccer.

Players and parents don't want to be the reason that protocols aren't being followed. If the county/state decides to shut things down, so be it. But it won't be because club soccer is driving bad metrics.

Some school districts are going to distance learning next week and others are calling parents and telling them they are no where close to exceeding metrics that require moving to online.

If a player/family has concerns, don't play, don't come watch, stay home and stay safe.

wh
HS soccer has been pushed with no date set, dependent on some dashboard or other. I agree that there's no guarantee that it'll start before Christmas.

I see Brophy just told all parents that you can't do club sports and in-person learning, no exceptions. So online for any kids that want to do club.
o is Brophy?

This cuts both ways. Private schools can make their own rules. They were everyone's favorite when they opened in person before public schools. They can also tell you to stay home.

Brophy just ended a 32 year in a row state championship streak in swimming, due to not being able to compete b/c COVID.

I'm hearing today CA will put out youth sports update this week and will include NO travel out of start until at least Jan. 1st which would kill mayors cup and Surf cup I'm guessing too. On a positive, If you're in the orange tier or yellow, soccer game vs team in county or bordering county will be allowed. I'm guessing many counties even in orange tiers today may drop to red soon though but soccer games wouldn't be allowed. Anyone else hear this?? This is just rumors for now but makes some sense based on patterns set forth by the state.

I'm hearing today CA will put out youth sports update this week and will include NO travel out of start until at least Jan. 1st which would kill mayors cup and Surf cup I'm guessing too. On a positive, If you're in the orange tier or yellow, soccer game vs team in county or bordering county will be allowed. I'm guessing many counties even in orange tiers today may drop to red soon though but soccer games wouldn't be allowed. Anyone else hear this?? This is just rumors for now but makes some sense based on patterns set forth by the state.
I’ve heard similar...very hard to now tell people planning to fly for a tournament for thanksgiving or Mayors Cup to cancel flights, hotels, car rental etc and not lose some money in the process...hopefully the update comes out early in the week so people can plan...I wonder what penalties will be for those breaking the rules...

I’ve heard similar...very hard to now tell people planning to fly for a tournament for thanksgiving or Mayors Cup to cancel flights, hotels, car rental etc and not lose some money in the process...hopefully the update comes out early in the week so people can plan...I wonder what penalties will be for those breaking the rules...

The only good thing (if you can call it that) is almost all airlines and hotels are giving full refunds if plans are canceled due to Covid/Covid restrictions. I say almost all because I'm sure there is one airline/hotel that will try to credit you.

Oh boy, that guidance will go over like a cough in church.
Unless counties/cities/school districts take fields from clubs, expect many to keep traveling assuming events aren't cancelled. Newsome is probably calling Mayor's and Surf to pay them off to cancel their tournaments!

.t
It may be a while before we can get back to orange.

But local games would be great. I am happy if this means we give up Surf but get leagues again.

Only really stinks for south central valley clubs who don't have good teams in neighboring counties.

.t

It may be a while before we can get back to orange.

But local games would be great. I am happy if this means we give up Surf but get leagues again.

Only really stinks for south central valley clubs who don't have good teams in neighboring counties.
And Newsome knows that very well most of the main populated counties will be in Red very soon if not already. Why couldn't something like this been done 2-3 months ago in terms of the tiers/what sports allowed? Many could have been playing local games like most of the country without risking traveling out of state. My other big question would be, is it Newsome alone who decides when youth sports can travel again? If so, very scary having one person with that much power. I guess we'll see if they announce something next week

And Newsome knows that very well most of the main populated counties will be in Red very soon if not already. Why couldn't something like this been done 2-3 months ago in terms of the tiers/what sports allowed? Many could have been playing local games like most of the country without risking traveling out of state. My other big question would be, is it Newsome alone who decides when youth sports can travel again? If so, very scary having one person with that much power. I guess we'll see if they announce something next week
Agree the change could and should have happened months go.

My county is moving back to red, too.

But I am mostly mad at the county for opening up indoor dining. We had the CDC report. We knew indoor dining was a risk. And they did it anyway.

Now cases are four times as high, and restaurants are closed again. It gave them a grand total of four weeks of revenue, and screwed up our disease control program for months.

Back