Surf Cup abuse

What about this…

"The results showed that the cancer rate among soccer players in the investigation, based on Griffin's list, was actually less than expected compared with the cancer rate among all Washington residents of similar ages."

"The results showed that the cancer rate among soccer players in the investigation, based on Griffin's list, was actually less than expected compared with the cancer rate among all Washington residents of similar ages."
If you want to isolate the effect of turf, it seems you would want to compare soccer players who practice on grass to soccer players who practice on turf.

Otherwise, you are partly measuring whether exercise is protective against cancer.

If you want to isolate the effect of turf, it seems you would want to compare soccer players who practice on grass to soccer players who practice on turf.

Otherwise, you are partly measuring whether exercise is protective against cancer.

That was part of the analysis.

Is it safe for my kids to play on synthetic fields made with crumb rubber?
Based on what we know today, the Washington State Department of Health recommends that people who enjoy soccer continue to play regardless of the type of field surface. Our recommendation is based on our investigation and the available research on crumb rubber which currently does not suggest it poses a significant public health risk. Assurances of the safety of artificial turf with crumb rubber are limited by the lack of adequate information on potential toxicity and exposure.

Said it last year and will say it again...making high schoolers play 4-5 games in 4 days is child abuse. Even 3 games in 3 days is much, but I understand you kinda gotta do that for the college coaches. There's no reason other than Surf Cup $ that older ages need to "crown a champion". Praying for all to be injury-free down there.

Well known tournament this upcoming weekend: for G04/05 up to 5 games… in 2 days.
Sunday 3 games in 7 hours.

Take a look at prices for PT. You're talking over $100 per visit.

The boots are the cheaper way to go.
maybe. depends on your health insurance I guess.
My kid's last club team, we had a girl whose family could barely afford the size-too-small boots she was already wearing. In a country where it's already prohibitively expensive for many families, expecting them to buy 2-3 pair of boots is just another barrier to entry.

That was part of the analysis.

Is it safe for my kids to play on synthetic fields made with crumb rubber?
Based on what we know today, the Washington State Department of Health recommends that people who enjoy soccer continue to play regardless of the type of field surface. Our recommendation is based on our investigation and the available research on crumb rubber which currently does not suggest it poses a significant public health risk. Assurances of the safety of artificial turf with crumb rubber are limited by the lack of adequate information on potential toxicity and exposure.

Crumb rubber also smells really bad on hot days, but not on cold.

It may be that Washington just doesn’t have very many hot days when the crumb rubber is off gassing. Put the same substance in 90 degree socal sun, and your exposure will be far higher.

My totally unproven theory is that its the lack of available round studded shoes (not talking about the indoor turf shoes) and the popularity of the "cool" cleats which are mostly bladed, I think in large part to save weight. But again this is just speculation.
For some reason shoe companies do not make the round/conical studded shoes readily available in the US. If you go to Nike's UK website, it has a distinct "AG" category with shoes that have conical studs. In its US site it only has the "MG" category and they are mostly blades.

I bought my kid' shoes with conical studs from Amazon UK. You can find some decent deals if you don't need the shoes in a hurry.

Wow, I'm seeing the G05/05 bracket, and i see what Venantsyo is saying. Game Sunday late morning, semis at 4pm, and final at 7:30pm.

Crazy. C and D brackets are getting screwed more than the A and B brackets
Clubs really showing their true commitment to player’s health and well-being! And this weekend is going to be hot!

Back