Stub Hub Center - Why isn't it used for more youth games?

Why don't we see more youth games/tournaments played at Stub Hub Center?
I think they have 7 fields there.
There is ample parking. Great facilities. Somewhat centrally located for most of So Cal. (Better than driving to Lancaster, NorCo or Temecula for most of us).
At the very least, it would be cool have State Cup finals games held there.

There is ample parking. Great facilities. Somewhat centrally located for most of So Cal. (Better than driving to Lancaster, NorCo or Temecula for most of us).

Most of us?

I'm sure there are more, but here goes....

1. They are very protective of the main stadium field and the team main practice field. Those are out.
2. Galaxy isn't the only tenant. The college and there's a Latino league that plays there too. Then don't forget the Galaxy affiliated teams. With the NFL temporary there I wonder what impact as well.
3. The weather can be really awful in the late fall/winter/early springs. Particularly on the courts in front of the stadium. A wicked wind picks up over the ocean.
4. Traffic is a pain in the area. Given the surrounding area is largely industrial and the 405 is a truly awful freeway.
5. The Galaxy does hold 2 youth tournaments throughout the year. The Galaxy Cup I think is upcoming in August? There's another usually in May (never been to that one).
6. Not all the fields are regulation so the State Cup would be a challenge. There also aren't as many as you'd think and it's turf (though there are some grass).

Most of us?
I'm not a cartographer, but I bet if you mapped out the homebase of Cal-South Clubs and the number of teams at each club, there would be a significant amount of the soccer playing population that is closer to Carson, CA than Lancaster or Temecula. And that a drive to Norco would be a similar distance to Carson for many.
(Of course if you live in Corona/Norco driving to Carson wouldn't make sense. Or if you live in San Diego, it would stink to drive past the Polo Fields or Oceanside to get to Carson. But still closer than Lancaster or Norco for those that are South).

I'm not a cartographer, but I bet if you mapped out the homebase of Cal-South Clubs and the number of teams at each club, there would be a significant amount of the soccer playing population that is closer to Carson, CA than Lancaster or Temecula. And that a drive to Norco would be a similar distance to Carson for many.
(Of course if you live in Corona/Norco driving to Carson wouldn't make sense. Or if you live in San Diego, it would stink to drive past the Polo Fields or Oceanside to get to Carson. But still closer than Lancaster or Norco for those that are South).

I get Lancaster...anywhere but Lancaster!!!

But for folks in San Diego, Temecula or Norco are not only closer mile wise, but traffic wise a much easier drive. And to take it a step further, really any team along the 15 corridor North or slightly South would cut down their commute to Galway or Silverlakes.

But agree it would be nice for Stub Hub to open its fields. Perhaps one day State Cup will become regionalized with winners coming together to decide bragging rights.

It is very expensive to have games there.
I'm sure it is.
Maybe you don't put many games in the main stadium.
But the MLS season starts in early March.
I'm sure they could find a way to get the State Cup semi-finals and finals on some of their fields. And the Galaxy just came back from 5 road games.
When I was in 6th grade, my pee-wee football team played at the same stadium that the local NFL team played in. I'm sure that wasn't cheap either, but the goodwill it provided to the kids playing is hard to put a price on. Here I am 30 year later still talking about it!
If I'm part of the new LAFC, having Youth Tournaments played at my facility is on my short list of things to do to create and maintain a fanbase. Probably better than spending millions on aging Euro player to have his farewell tour in the USA.

TB there are 7 fields. Three belong to US Soccer. Those are a no go. There are two other turf fields and two grass fields. The grass fields are only used by LAG and LAG DA as of right now. But I do believe the grass LAG DA field is only used for games. One of the turf fields is used LAG DA for training's and the other turf field is used by LAGSB for training's. During the SCDSL season LAGSB does use the two turf fields for games.

LAGSB does host their Coastal Classic there as one of the sites.

I'm sure there are more, but here goes....

1. They are very protective of the main stadium field and the team main practice field. Those are out.
2. Galaxy isn't the only tenant. The college and there's a Latino league that plays there too. Then don't forget the Galaxy affiliated teams. With the NFL temporary there I wonder what impact as well.
3. The weather can be really awful in the late fall/winter/early springs. Particularly on the courts in front of the stadium. A wicked wind picks up over the ocean.
4. Traffic is a pain in the area. Given the surrounding area is largely industrial and the 405 is a truly awful freeway.
5. The Galaxy does hold 2 youth tournaments throughout the year. The Galaxy Cup I think is upcoming in August? There's another usually in May (never been to that one).
6. Not all the fields are regulation so the State Cup would be a challenge. There also aren't as many as you'd think and it's turf (though there are some grass).
The college uses Toro stadium as does LAG II. It is across from turf field 7 and the Velodrome. My buddies play in that Latin league. It is very competitive and yes it is expensive, which is why it is a 7's league. They split the field in half thus the cost.

It’s So Cal weather up here and not any different than most locations. Not sure what you mean by the wicked wind. I am a mile from the water and Stub Hub is 5 miles from me. It’s more like a cool breeze at that distance. Yes, traffic stinks, but so does OC and SD traffic. Traffic is just one of down sides to So Cal no matter where you live.

Stub Hub is surrounded by CSDHS on one side and community of homes on the other. Coming into Stub Hub off the 91 is industrial and when in the east part of Torrance.

All fields are full size regulation fields. But you ask a great question, what will the impact be from the Chargers playing there?

The college uses Toro stadium as does LAG II. It is across from turf field 7 and the Velodrome. My buddies play in that Latin league. It is very competitive and yes it is expensive, which is why it is a 7's league. They split the field in half thus the cost.

It’s So Cal weather up here and not any different than most locations. Not sure what you mean by the wicked wind. I am a mile from the water and Stub Hub is 5 miles from me. It’s more like a cool breeze at that distance. Yes, traffic stinks, but so does OC and SD traffic. Traffic is just one of down sides to So Cal no matter where you live.

Stub Hub is surrounded by CSDHS on one side and community of homes on the other. Coming into Stub Hub off the 91 is industrial and when in the east part of Torrance.

All fields are full size regulation fields. But you ask a great question, what will the impact be from the Chargers playing there?

My son has done the Galaxy camps and has gone to one of the tournaments there. The camps are usually held on 4/5 or at Beckham. 4/5 are elevated and don't have buildings shielding them. The wind in the early mornings in winter and the surrounding months can be truly bad. At the winter camp DS kept punting it and the ball would fly back at him. I don't think Beckham has lighting which is why they weren't there (but could be wrong)....had wind issues too in the early morning for the Thanksgiving camp (on Beckham) and the Midwinter camp but not as severe. Haven't had issues in summer and haven't done the spring. It's mostly a morning and evening thing while the coastal winds are shifting.

The Galaxy host the Galaxy Cup Tournament in August and the Copa LA in May.

Ahhh...good info about the Latin League cutting the field in half....that's why I thought they weren't reg. We watched a few of their games. Those guys are good. :D Most of the renters seem relegated to 4/5 which also has good lighting for evenings but gets the worst of the wind.

Are there 30 fields there, like in Lancaster?

Back