Strikers ECNL rumors

what was the reasoning for ECNL to eliminate strikers? If it’s due to poor performance, doesn’t Del Mar have a worse record? If it’s because they bailed out on ECNL boys, wouldn’t they need to mandate to the rest of the clubs that they cannot join mls next? I wouldn’t be surprised if lawsuits start turning up. ECNL does whatever they want with these clubs (legends, strikers, beach). Very interesting decision by ECNL on strikers. If strikers joins DA it gives that league a longer life line to expand and grow.

what was the reasoning for ECNL to eliminate strikers? If it’s due to poor performance, doesn’t Del Mar have a worse record? If it’s because they bailed out on ECNL boys, wouldn’t they need to mandate to the rest of the clubs that they cannot join mls next? I wouldn’t be surprised if lawsuits start turning up. ECNL does whatever they want with these clubs (legends, strikers, beach). Very interesting decision by ECNL on strikers. If strikers joins DA it gives that league a longer life line to expand and grow.
The clubs I looked from the list earlier that are MLS Next also offer ECNL boys. It doesn't look like it is a situation of mandating MLS Next or ECNL for the boys side rather if there is girls ECNL then there also needs to be boys ECNL. Some of the markets may have enough talent to offer both from one club.

Interesting takes. I have no inside information and no one talks to me in the industry at all. The Docs used to call me all the time but not now. My kid is of no use. I do have some old pals who get me that are in the industry and I will ask them for the real scoop. A founding member getting the boot is very interesting and unheard of from what I do know. I'm starting to have way more empathy for the coaches, who just like us, hear the rumor mill and grape vine every freaking year. These coaches are left guessing and selling something they can;t produce. The investment and time commitment a player puts toward the club should be respected and valued, moo and more moo. This should not be taken lightly, moo!!! Girls put in years of service and parents fork over thousands and thousand of dollars over the years. I have gone all the way through this from U6-U18/19 and this is 100% not helping the girls, at all. If one or just a couple players get lied to and banned from a league, who the heck cares. This is now a shit show, moo!!!

Last edited:
what was the reasoning for ECNL to eliminate strikers? If it’s due to poor performance, doesn’t Del Mar have a worse record?

I heard rumors that Sharks was presented with an ultimatum to start putting resources and effort into the teams to make them more competitive, thus the hiring of MW as girls director. They likely received some time to let this play out. I will say that MW has not been sitting idle. The coaching staff has been gutted, and some team rosters have seen almost 100% player turnover. There are kids and families getting displaced, kids quitting the game entirely and some painful feelings going on, but I guess that's the cost of being in an elite sports league. Perform or GTFO.

I heard rumors that Sharks was presented with an ultimatum to start putting resources and effort into the teams to make them more competitive, thus the hiring of MW as girls director. They likely received some time to let this play out. I will say that MW has not been sitting idle. The coaching staff has been gutted, and some team rosters have seen almost 100% player turnover. There are kids and families getting displaced, kids quitting the game entirely and some painful feelings going on, but I guess that's the cost of being in an elite sports league. Perform or GTFO.
I wonder what measure they used to boot a founding member? ECNL should let the parents know what the real ultimatum was. Sharks are on thin ice. What should these players and parents do now that they have gotten the boot as well? Should they leave the team now and go look for Green Pasture down South or up North. I think this sucks, no real reason except to say as a founding member we got kicked out for no reason. I do have some good friends with U14 and their in limbo. They love their team and coach and now they are scared and with no future for next year. They pissed off and burned the only bridge close to their house so their only choice is to head North. This is real fear that all families and players and coaches go through. ECNL club players are not allowed to be in contact until May 1st. However, this player is not the best but damn good and pops thinks he should start making calls himself and you can;t blame him. I told him to finish what you start and be honorable. It will work itself out in the long run.......

I wonder what measure they used to boot a founding member? ECNL should let the parents know what the real ultimatum was. Sharks are on thin ice. What should these players and parents do now that they have gotten the boot as well? Should they leave the team now and go look for Green Pasture down South or up North. I think this sucks, no real reason except to say as a founding member we got kicked out for no reason. I do have some good friends with U14 and their in limbo. They love their team and coach and now they are scared and with no future for next year. They pissed off and burned the only bridge close to their house so their only choice is to head North. This is real fear that all families and players and coaches go through. ECNL club players are not allowed to be in contact until May 1st. However, this player is not the best but damn good and pops thinks he should start making calls himself and you can;t blame him. I told him to finish what you start and be honorable. It will work itself out in the long run.......
The problem with Sharks is no matter how good they get on the girls side all players would jump to Surf if given the chance.

On top of that MW gutted several teams when he first came on + created some hurt feelings for players and parents.

Also Surf brought on AW to manage the youngers. He'll recruit any talent from Sharks before they even hit 11v11/ECNL levels.

The problem with Sharks is no matter how good they get on the girls side all players would jump to Surf if given the chance.

On top of that MW gutted several teams when he first came on + created some hurt feelings for players and parents.

Also Surf brought on AW to manage the youngers. He'll recruit any talent from Sharks before they even hit 11v11/ECNL levels.

While true, there is only so much room on a roster, and there are plenty of talented players North of the 8 and South of Oceanside. Enough to beat Surf regularly? No. Enough to settle in around mid table? Sure. Better than the bottom of the barrel across all the ages.

I don;t know any of the coaches at Surf anymore. Those guys got back to back National Championships and parley that into some nice jobs and opportunities. Is Surf doing the fully funded offers to the top players in Socal still? That and their connections can;t be beat, moo. Are Sharks giving full rides to the top players to keep them from looking at the Green Pasture? Boys do give free, right?

The girls Strikers ECNL teams are not even guaranteed GA at this point, and I would wager no one is excited about it even if it were.

A likely exodus from the girls Strikers teams is right around the corner and it seems like the Strikers just don't know it yet -- or maybe they don't care?!?

With Pats girls joining ECNL, is this indicative that Pats boys will be staying ECNL and not moving to MLS Next as some have suggested?
Any idea who might be coaching the new Pats ECNL 06 team? Would it make sense that Betsy take that team as she already has the RL team?

Am I to understand correctly... Does ECNL require both girls and boys side of a club to be in ECNL? And, prohibit boys to MLS and just girls to ECNL? I apologize in advance if this question is already something I should know - kinda new to all of this.

Am I to understand correctly... Does ECNL require both girls and boys side of a club to be in ECNL? And, prohibit boys to MLS and just girls to ECNL? I apologize in advance if this question is already something I should know - kinda new to all of this.
I have been on the youth girls club soccer circuit now for 11 years. Welcome to soccer and all the changes girls have to go through every year. It gets nasty after 8th grade. Every year something big happens to a league or a club or a Doc or something big goes down and many families and players get smacked in the face and are caught in the middle. I know parents who went GDA, DPL, GAL, ECNL and now back to GAL ((if they saty for their final year of Socal Soccer)). I want to add coaches to the list of being kicked hard. My wife got email saying Strikers got kicked out for no good reason, except they were not invited back to the #1 Girls league in the country. No real rhyme to any reason except to say they got some exciting news coming soon for the girls. The boys got what they wanted and boys got Pro path and MLS-Next. I heard from the Grape Vine that the GAL Family Soccer League is waiting with open arms to except one of the original 8 Socal ECNL Founding Members. This is like the Big West getting Oregon from the one of the Originals of the Pac 12.

It's a multi billion dollar industry that "we" the consumers are responsible for perpetuating. Pay to play sports is here to stay unless 1) Enough consumers (parents) divest from the system 2) Regulations are created that completely change the youth sports industry

So how do we separate the "business" side of youth sports from the actually developing our youth soccer players? The 501(c)(3) status of most if not all of the soccer clubs I can think of are supposed to have the best interest of the organization's mission above the best interests of those associated with it. (e.g., CEO, CFO, Board of Directors, etc.) I know, I know... I'm just being naive thinking that a business would put the well-being and development of youth players above profits. Maybe there should be some monetary incentive to develop players/teams - at the team level? Just thinking outside of the box.

I have been on the youth girls club soccer circuit now for 11 years. Welcome to soccer and all the changes girls have to go through every year. It gets nasty after 8th grade. Every year something big happens to a league or a club or a Doc or something big goes down and many families and players get smacked in the face and are caught in the middle. I know parents who went GDA, DPL, GAL, ECNL and now back to GAL ((if they saty for their final year of Socal Soccer)). I want to add coaches to the list of being kicked hard. My wife got email saying Strikers got kicked out for no good reason, except they were not invited back to the #1 Girls league in the country. No real rhyme to any reason except to say they got some exciting news coming soon for the girls. The boys got what they wanted and boys got Pro path and MLS-Next. I heard from the Grape Vine that the GAL Family Soccer League is waiting with open arms to except one of the original 8 Socal ECNL Founding Members. This is like the Big West getting Oregon from the one of the Originals of the Pac 12.
Oh my! No warning?? WOW! ...and the kids and coaches probably take the brunt of the situation. How is this any good for the sport?

So how do we separate the "business" side of youth sports from the actually developing our youth soccer players? The 501(c)(3) status of most if not all of the soccer clubs I can think of are supposed to have the best interest of the organization's mission above the best interests of those associated with it. (e.g., CEO, CFO, Board of Directors, etc.) I know, I know... I'm just being naive thinking that a business would put the well-being and development of youth players above profits. Maybe there should be some monetary incentive to develop players/teams - at the team level? Just thinking outside of the box.
Great points. I know people think I just want attention but I do have experience and have been on many sides of club soccer the last 11 years. I was laughed at almost 4 years ago for asking one question: Why did the GDA have a rule that forbid all girls from playing high school soccer because the world is watching and all that BS and then when a few top players made the tough call to play HSS only to see waivers for the rich was insane as well. I told all that many bad things are going on and grown men lie to little girls to their face. This is wrong and needs to stop. This is all playing head trips on many kids and their families. I know families that have paid over $40,000 to get right to the brink of signing a deal for college and then, Bamb!!!! The carpet is pulled from under the child who has worked her ass off in school, during two years of Covid, playing ECNL for three years and now her team is kicked out. That is cruel 100%. I know we have dads that think this is funny and hahahahahaha and "you should have stayed with your original club and pay back is fair play." This is only about "Elite" soccer that is truly Elite for girls and now their out because te BOD said so and no reason. What is Elite Soccer and who can be Elite? Who decides who is Elite? I think we need to get Papi out of the business and off all these BODs, CEO and important and key positions. The Big Guy ((Dad)) needs to go sit on the sidelines and hope his kid gets in the game just like the rest of us. What is the mission statement in youth soccer? We need a Fun Path and then a Pro & College Path for those who want it more. Where do the girls rank in the pyramid of success in club soccer? The girls should be #1 and protected and respected, all girls.

RSL no longer has ECNL boys they have EA and MLS now. Not sure they miss it. ECNL boys was never top league.
The word on the street was that RSL boys were booted from ECNL for something "dodgy" that I wouldn't say. They leveraged it for 2 EA boys teams. I can guarantee you that the boys/parent do miss ECNL given that they are in a crap EA desert mountain or whatever league. That said, boys ECNL has a few strong teams, but generally boys ECNL is not strong. The ECNL teams are regularly beaten by non letter league teams in tournament play. The few teams that I know the make up of locally wouldn't win the local league and are still competitive in a travel league!!

Just as girls ECNL is the place to be, MLS Next is the place to be for boys. That's not even debatable. If ECNL mandates clubs drop MLS Next for boys ECNL or lose girls, they will be strengthening the GA, because plenty of clubs will pick MLS.

However I bet top level girls programs generate as much $$$ or more than boys programs.
From an AZ perspective, the boys teams way outnumber the girls. Boys are attracted because of the promised "pathway", which includes ECNL and MLS Next - there are a lot more $ generated from the boys. I would say that the girls parents likely pay out a lot more money as there seems to be more travel on the girls side (league games & tournaments) than on the boys.

In both instances, parents are parted with their hard earned dollars with relative ease though.

As for generating revenue, there are way more scholarships from the clubs for boys. I don't know if they even bother on the girls side as that's become an absolute pay to play system. If they want the extremely talents boys, then they need to scholarship, as many of them come from poorer families who won't and can't pay.

The 501(c)(3) status is a complete joke, and realistically it should be completely overhauled as its being abused completely. The clubs are in the interest of making money. I had a long conversation with the head of a local very successful club a few years back, then the richest club in the state, and at no time in the entire convo did he talk about the kids, what was good for them, that "his" non-profit purpose was kids sports - nope, his entire & sincere pitch was how much $ they had made and could make, that was it. It was bizarre.

Surf just "launched" two affiliates in AZ (rumor is that one of them will get ECNL for the girls - lmfao), big push for players. Legends is building a program in AZ also, from the ground up with some very good coaches actually and they have built some solid younger teams - again bit of a pitch that you could play in the letter league for the main team.

Didn't the Surf dudes spin off the tournaments to a for profit way back when (they realized how much $ was to be made).

Its all about the money.

The word on the street was that RSL boys were booted from ECNL for something "dodgy" that I wouldn't say. They leveraged it for 2 EA boys teams. I can guarantee you that the boys/parent do miss ECNL given that they are in a crap EA desert mountain or whatever league. That said, boys ECNL has a few strong teams, but generally boys ECNL is not strong. The ECNL teams are regularly beaten by non letter league teams in tournament play. The few teams that I know the make up of locally wouldn't win the local league and are still competitive in a travel league!!

Just as girls ECNL is the place to be, MLS Next is the place to be for boys. That's not even debatable. If ECNL mandates clubs drop MLS Next for boys ECNL or lose girls, they will be strengthening the GA, because plenty of clubs will pick MLS.

From an AZ perspective, the boys teams way outnumber the girls. Boys are attracted because of the promised "pathway", which includes ECNL and MLS Next - there are a lot more $ generated from the boys. I would say that the girls parents likely pay out a lot more money as there seems to be more travel on the girls side (league games & tournaments) than on the boys.

In both instances, parents are parted with their hard earned dollars with relative ease though.

As for generating revenue, there are way more scholarships from the clubs for boys. I don't know if they even bother on the girls side as that's become an absolute pay to play system. If they want the extremely talents boys, then they need to scholarship, as many of them come from poorer families who won't and can't pay.
Excellent takes whatithink. I was sold fully funded in 2016-2018 for GDA. My kid was offered free everything just like the boys at DA. If you could ball, it was free. The only club that was not free was Blues. That is why most of the Docs said Blues would fold and not be able to provide the fields, the coaches or the free soccer that was being put out there at the beginning. Galaxy, Pats, Slammers, Legends were all free. Surf was mostly free and I heard Abion gave out free rides. Beach did not from what some have said. This is hard to compete. I have to give Blues some credit for hanging in there. Free is hard to give up. All the top teams in the boys give free rides. My little nephew in law team is all free. Sponsorships and marketing goes a long way as does their rec feeder leagues.

Back