Spring Season and Rosters

Now that we are a few weeks into the SCDSL season- What are we seeing out there with rosters?
Any teams fold up at the last minute? Are many kids playing more than 1 game per day to help fill in?
What do you think things look like for Fall?

Not noticing anything out of the ordinary regarding rosters but games are being rescheduled left and right. At least where my DD's team is concerned.

A
Not noticing anything out of the ordinary regarding rosters but games are being rescheduled left and right. At least where my DD's team is concerned.
At least you are playing and the games are being scheduled. Better than what's going on in the other leagues. I think reschedules are going to happen as clubs get their fields and we are seeing fields and times being filled in. I don't think they are reschedules as much as filling in the actual schedule. I'm just thankful we're playing again.

Now that we are a few weeks into the SCDSL season- What are we seeing out there with rosters?
Any teams fold up at the last minute? Are many kids playing more than 1 game per day to help fill in?
How does a parent or player maneuver in all this mess coach buck? Thank God my dd ((My little GOAT)) is aging out of this. Wow, I just heard a nightmare from a parent.

For the 09 age group, the last minute format change by SCDSL made it tough for some 09 teams to have enough players to go to 11 v 11. Most 09 teams barely have 12-13 players so it will be interestng to see how many survive in the fall. We have 12 but could easily lose 2 to 3 and then it's the race to get to 14 players for the fall.

So these SCDSL players have been doing what exactly for a whole year? Presumably they formed rosters for a fall’20 season that never happened... and then they waited patiently for it to start in March 2021!? Was it possible for some to head over to ECNL or GA? Those leagues were and are operating.

For the 09 age group, the last minute format change by SCDSL made it tough for some 09 teams to have enough players to go to 11 v 11. Most 09 teams barely have 12-13 players so it will be interestng to see how many survive in the fall. We have 12 but could easily lose 2 to 3 and then it's the race to get to 14 players for the fall.
What last minute format change? Maybe I'm missing something, but 9s should be playing 9v9, 11v11 is optional and should be agreed upon both coaches.

So these SCDSL players have been doing what exactly for a whole year? Presumably they formed rosters for a fall’20 season that never happened... and then they waited patiently for it to start in March 2021!? Was it possible for some to head over to ECNL or GA? Those leagues were and are operating.
From my lens- Some clubs had multiple teams in an age group with barely enough on each roster to field enough for a game. During this lockdown, some players lost their love for soccer and quit. Or they said "call me when there's a season. These zoom calls and practicing solo in a 8 foot square sucks." If they played a tournament in Arizona, they borrowed from the other team or brought some guests along. If they had a scrimmage- same thing.
Some teams played "Roster Chicken" - Waiting for another club to blink and fold up a team to try and land enough players.
Some teams are hoping that their multiple teams in an age group don't have games at the same time so they can borrow players.

I think your ECNL/RL, GA and DPL rosters are pretty solid. It's the SCDSL teams that are scraping by.

It will be VERY interesting to see what happens in the summer/Fall.

What last minute format change? Maybe I'm missing something, but 9s should be playing 9v9, 11v11 is optional and should be agreed upon both coaches.
When the spring season was announced, SCDSL said that 09 teams have a choice to play 9 v 9 or 11 v 11 brackets. I guess they scrapped it right before the season started and then said all '09 teams will play 11 v 11. We can ask the other team to play 9 v 9 but that's not a mandate. We played 9 v 11 on Sunday on 92 degree weather because the other coach refused to play 9 v 9. CSL actually did it right, they said 9 v 9 for the 09 age group and those that want to play 11 v 11 can play in the 08 age bracket. The funny thing is that this SCDSL spring season according to the organizers doesnt really count but yet it does.

When the spring season was announced, SCDSL said that 09 teams have a choice to play 9 v 9 or 11 v 11 brackets. I guess they scrapped it right before the season started and then said all '09 teams will play 11 v 11. We can ask the other team to play 9 v 9 but that's not a mandate. We played 9 v 11 on Sunday on 92 degree weather because the other coach refused to play 9 v 9. CSL actually did it right, they said 9 v 9 for the 09 age group and those that want to play 11 v 11 can play in the 08 age bracket. The funny thing is that this SCDSL spring season according to the organizers doesnt really count but yet it does.
Why does it not count but yet it does?

Mostly seeing guest players on 09 teams as expected since they are playing 11v11. I feel bad for the 09 kids since they had to pivot and jump to playing with a bunch of guest players to fill their rosters. On the flip side, lots of playing time for 2010 kids that need to fill the gap on an 09 team.

Why does it not count but yet it does?
I think he said that because the SCDSL site says...

FORMAT FOR SPRING 2021:

7v7 games – no scores or standings

9v9 games – scores will be posted but no standings will be kept

11v11 games (all levels) – scores will be posted but no standings will be kept.

But yet the standings are being kept if you look at the website. I understand there will be no playoffs or any type of awards.

As you can see by the brackets, a percentage of teams have opted out of spring.

A percentage of parents have opted their kids out of playing.

Financial situations caused coaches to leave clubs and teams consolidated.

Teams are now figuring out how to play together after not having played together and not playing in a year and kids nervous about the virus, hence the huge number of 4-0 5-0 8-0 matches in flights where you normally see 1-1 draws.

We've basically entered a perfect storm and this spring for me is just glorified scrimmages.

As you can see by the brackets, a percentage of teams have opted out of spring.

A percentage of parents have opted their kids out of playing.

Financial situations caused coaches to leave clubs and teams consolidated.

Teams are now figuring out how to play together after not having played together and not playing in a year and kids nervous about the virus, hence the huge number of 4-0 5-0 8-0 matches in flights where you normally see 1-1 draws.

We've basically entered a perfect storm and this spring for me is just glorified scrimmages.

Agreed. Those teams that kept playing regardless of covid restrictions are in mid season form. Those who just started playing dont have the game level fitness and are very rusty. It should level out by the time tournament season begins.

Agreed. Those teams that kept playing regardless of covid restrictions are in mid season form. Those who just started playing dont have the game level fitness and are very rusty. It should level out by the time tournament season begins.
You don't think there will be some spring/post spring team shakeups?

I think another reason could be teams either moving up or staying down in the wrong flight.

I think another reason could be teams either moving up or staying down in the wrong flight.
I agree some teams are not in the right flight. If a team did really well in 2019 from a flight 2/3 tier and got moved up another tier but then the pandemic hit... that new now flight 1/2 team is probably struggling playing with previous teams of that level since this is their first time back.

I also want to add that scores could be from having guest players from higher tiers.

Back