Soccer coaches need tryouts too

All these tryouts for kids but do coaches even get evaluated? I thought coaches had to have some certification but I hear from friends that some coaches do not and then require boys to come to practice three or more times a week. I am talking about boys ECNL teams U 13 and U 14.

All these tryouts for kids but do coaches even get evaluated? I thought coaches had to have some certification but I hear from friends that some coaches do not and then require boys to come to practice three or more times a week. I am talking about boys ECNL teams U 13 and U 14.
Coaches are (supposed to be) evaluated by the club and the USSF licensing system is pretty extensive. When my son played ECNL a few years ago there were no official licensing requirements (it may have changed) but individual clubs might. The coaches at most clubs that have ECNL will likely have at least a C and be working toward or already have an A or B. The process takes time, though, and is expensive so if they're younger, expect them to have a lower level.

Requiring kids to come to practice often is a good sign, though. It means the coach is dedicated, which is important at that age.

That's why we have the forum:cool: Most of the club's evaluation process is a joke at best. One former Doc evaluated his coach by how many sign ups he got to tryouts to make a B Team so the A team could be fully funded.

Clubs don’t evaluate their coaches the way they should. Most of these coaches played soccer but have no idea how to properly treat developing children/athletes. Having a C license running an EXPENSIVE high level team is a joke! ECNL/RL/GA etc. cost parents thousands every year, having a competent coach is not a lot to ask for.

The quality of coaching will not get any better until we parents speak out against the bad ones & demand higher quality from the clubs that cash our checks $$$

ECNL is way too expensive to settle for a coach that is not even certified. There is definitely a lack of coaches/qualified coaches but if a club is ok taking shortcuts & charging NL money for someone who is not qualified I would move on. Speaks a lot to the culture of the club & what they are willing to do.

Some clubs are recruiting international coaches for their high level programs. These international coaches are coming over with higher level license & more years of experience. I have been really impressed from seeing some of these international coaches. Seems like a good fix to a current US problem.

Two places to start...

ECNL is way too expensive to settle for a coach that is not even certified. There is definitely a lack of coaches/qualified coaches but if a club is ok taking shortcuts & charging NL money for someone who is not qualified I would move on. Speaks a lot to the culture of the club & what they are willing to do.

Some clubs are recruiting international coaches for their high level programs. These international coaches are coming over with higher level license & more years of experience. I have been really impressed from seeing some of these international coaches. Seems like a good fix to a current US problem.

International doesn't mean better. I've seen plenty of coaches from "football playing countries" that have no business being near a pitch, let alone coaching kids.

Evaluate all coaches on thier individual merits. Always have your kid train multiple times with a new coach/team before you commit. I understand why the tryout windows have been established, but it's made "coach tryouts" almost impossible unless you're willing to change platforms, an option that is basically non-existent for SoCal youngers, unless parents refuse to play by club timelines.

Clubs don’t evaluate their coaches the way they should. Most of these coaches played soccer but have no idea how to properly treat developing children/athletes. Having a C license running an EXPENSIVE high level team is a joke! ECNL/RL/GA etc. cost parents thousands every year, having a competent coach is not a lot to ask for.

The quality of coaching will not get any better until we parents speak out against the bad ones & demand higher quality from the clubs that cash our checks $$$
Most of the younger male coaches from Europe with no kids have no idea how to handle young females entering middle school and high school in SoCal. They 100% have no clue on how to deal with parents from SoCal. We are a mixed bag of parents with different goals for what soccer can bring to our children. Some parents have so much money they buy club, donate big bucks to club or find away on the board. If you can't make one of those, try and become Team Manager. These are some of the men in charge of youth soccer in SoCal and they in charge.These are the folks who hire the coaches. We had one Doc that told my dd she was too picky on where she could ball in college. She played lights out one game at the showcase and had some strong interest (full ride) from some nice schools.
Doc: "hey player, Big U from this State is interested in you.
Player: "Where's that?"
Doc "Up in the cold, snow and dark half the year."
Player: "No thanks"
Doc: "You won't get a deal acting like that. You seem really picky."
Player: "I'm not even sure I want to go to college."
Doc: "Then why you even playing ECNL."
Player: "To play soccer at a highest level in Socal."
Doc: "Hey champ, you sit this game out. Sit next to me and see what college soccer all is about."

It doesn't get better for some of the ladies in college and even the Pros with low level coaches. Basically, girls have been treated like shit for thousands of years and soccer has been a place where many women have been treated bad from coaches that are clueless. I still remember one young male coach with accent telling one of his 11-year-old female players who was crying, "stop crying all the time. Are you on your period again." It was insane. Dude had no kids and was just a single man that was good looking coach, had charm and wit, excellent salesman and the accent to boot. He also played the great game in Europe and knew the game, so it seemed like a home run. However, his communication with the parents and kids was horrible at best and illegal at worse. He ended up getting fired and last I hear he's in corporate sales.

Last edited:

My favorite is "Born in Liver-lips, UK and played for Liver-lips youth program. Played semi professionally for Manchester Divided, West Ham Sandwich and Newcastle Pale Ale. Invited to National Camp at U12."

What more can you ask for? Is he pasty? Does he wear cleats to practice? Will he do private training for his own players?

Two places to start...

International doesn't mean better. I've seen plenty of coaches from "football playing countries" that have no business being near a pitch, let alone coaching kids.

Evaluate all coaches on thier individual merits. Always have your kid train multiple times with a new coach/team before you commit. I understand why the tryout windows have been established, but it's made "coach tryouts" almost impossible unless you're willing to change platforms, an option that is basically non-existent for SoCal youngers, unless parents refuse to play by club timelines.

THIS 100%%%% Chances are if they're a shi**y coach, they're gonna be shi**y no matter the country they're from.

THIS 100%%%% Chances are if they're a shi**y coach, they're gonna be shi**y no matter the country they're from.
I met with one guy who talked with accent. The first thing I noticed was his teeth. He lived with his mum until her passing and then came to America to teach girls' soccer. Bad dude all around and last I heard he was in big trouble.

Back