SoCal Soccer Attitude Change

What a horrible ref you are. You blew the game for them. They would have scored and won. You should quit now. Did you return your pay?

Or, way to try to protect a player, assess your call and get better.
Exactly. Just trying to make the point that the more times you're in that situation in high level games, the better you get at assessing the situation and "trying" to do the right thing for the game.
A good lesson in trying to make decisions just a bit slower. A late correct call is way better than a quick call that's less correct

And to be perfectly honest, I'd do those kind of games for free any time. So much fun in the middle of a game like that

The best part about these threads, and every other comment found on the internet in any form, is the lack of relative reference and perspective.

I am a parent, a coach, and a (shh) referee. Reading the comments of many lunatics on various forums is a bit hilarious. Especially when you see FIFA refs blowing clear calls in the world's biggest sport, in the biggest games of the year. And NFL referees that make over $10,000 per game blow numerous calls per game, that have to be corrected (sometimes) by other referees that get to watch views from 25 cameras in HD slowed down to split second frames at a time.

But of course, all youth soccer referee mistakes are forgiven if your team wins.

This is a big thing for new soccer parents to understand. Definitely it is partly cultural for Americans. All but a very few addicted soccer fans ever watched professional soccer on TV. But we all have tons of experience watching American sports, where foul calls are much different. Football refs will often avoid calling holding penalties if the hold happened away from the action and did not influence the play, but for the most part, because of the way the game is played, any foul is an big advantage for the cheat (in football, the play continues and you can even decline the penalty), so they have to call what they see. This was hard to grasp at first when I started watching my kid play. Once I understood the above, some of the no calls made a whole lot more sense. Of course now that I get it, it just means I can scream "HEY REF! PLAY THE ADVANTAGE!" when they do call a foul they shouldn't have. Poor refs. LOL
Ignorance of the game doesn't explain bad sideline behavior. In Europe where people have a pretty good understanding of the game and rules, touchline abuse even violence is a lot more common. Americans generally understand basketball, football and baseball, yet sideline behavior is not better. It's arguably worse. Even in our nicer and gentler neighbor Canada, sideline behavior is an issue. When refs berate parents for their ignorance of the game or rules or try to "educate" them, their focus is misplaced really.

Ignorance of the game doesn't explain bad sideline behavior. In Europe where people have a pretty good understanding of the game and rules, touchline abuse even violence is a lot more common. Americans generally understand basketball, football and baseball, yet sideline behavior is not better. It's arguably worse. Even in our nicer and gentler neighbor Canada, sideline behavior is an issue. When refs berate parents for their ignorance of the game or rules or try to "educate" them, their focus is misplaced really.
your focus is misplaced, that's for sure. refs berate parents for their ignorance of the rules?

Did you not disparage parents the moment they disagree with you? Did you not say "You know nothing?" Did you not repeatedly claim to be "very good at it" whatever the issue. Of course, you have an entry-level license.
you're not embarrassed by the things you say? i actually am embarrassed for you.

anyway..... have a nice day.

Once again people make a big deal out of nothing. In addition to enforcing the holy "laws of the game" , soccer referees have some opinion that they are responsible to enforce morality, and manners when it comes to the crowd. If you think American parents and spectators are passionate about soccer, try going to a game in South America or Europe. Refs need to get a little less concerned with what is said on the sidelines and concentrate on the people playing the game. If as a ref you have a problem taking some guff from fans/spectators/parents maybe you are in the wrong line of work. Most refs i watch do a good job, they miss some calls that they probably should get but hey for the most part they do the best they can. The ones that I find amusing is the ones that have no tolerance for any type of what they perceive as disrespect or questioning. They are more worried about whether someones shirt is tucked in or some parent yelled than if the player is out of bounds. I am one of the "let them play" types because I believe soccer is a contact sport and sometimes people get hurt. When my daughter complains of someone grabbing her shirt or pushing her in the back, I am the guy who says quit your whining and elbow her in the nose next time. I guess that makes me part of the problem..it a "beautiful game" not a rugby match or hockey...
I suggest you read up on Parents Code of Conduct and perhaps try to adhere to it. And before you spring that "South America or Europe" thing again, I would let you know I have refereed in both places and the spectators (who are usually not just confined to parents only unlike here), are not even half as ignorant, not to mention in South America they are so far away that who cares what they say anyway?

You obviously don't know me, I maybe say ten words at a soccer game. I have never talked to a ref during a game in the 8 years or so that my kids have been playing. I don't even really like soccer to be honest because of the attitude of many in the sport. I am the guy that brings my kid, sits in my chair and watches and gets up and leaves when the game is over. i have been known to miss stuff that happens when i am reading the paper or checking my phone or chatting with someone from another game going on behind me. I am not one of the problem parents you guys have so much heartburn with. I think my total contact with my kids coach has been something like, "how u doing, hot today huh, or good game today." But, it doesn't take a soccer expert, or a referee card to see when a ref is so insecure or full of them self to let stuff go. All they do is make the situation worse. The problem with our society, we have turned into a bunch of candy asses who need to make sure that no one gets bullied or nobody gets their feelings hurt or disrespected. didn't your mamma ever tell you that "sticks and stones can break your bones but word can't hurt you?" I go to many high school football games, many of my neighbors and friend's kid's baseball games, the basketball tournaments, etc . I never see the officials worry about what the crowd says. Not once have I seen a football ref stop a game because someone in the bleachers was vocal about the call. I see it at youth soccer games all the time. I never encourage my kid to be an ass, in fact she knows better. Not once has she ever talked back or disrespected a ref, but she will not be a helpless victim either, who has to depend the the ref, a teacher or anyone else to protect her from harm. My daughter is a respectful warrior if anything else. I think you need to find another line of work bald ref, This kids soccer too rough for you. Some soccer mamma gonna question your manhood or something.....wow haven't typed that much since college
I have never seen a soccer referee stop a game either because someone in the "bleachers" was vocal about a call. Where did you see this?

Their are good refs and refs . Good calls vs bad calls. What I want is a review board for theses refs to have a standard. You have calsouth in Thier golf carts observing the parents but what about the refs. I know refs don't like hear it but come on. Their needs to be system.
There IS a system. There has always been.

The fact that the refs that frequent this site get so defensive and are so quick try and deflect any bit of criticism proves the point that many on here are trying to get across. Every time someone on here questions anything a ref does there is a little clique of refs that all jump in and immediately start posting counter points like you insulted there mother or something. This same dynamic is what many of us think is a problem. Somebody's mom yells, "come on ref!" or "no way" or "you need to call that" etc and a alarm goes in there head, red star clusters fill the sky and they stop the game, (the same game that they say needs to flow so they don't make some calls) come over to the sideline, caution the coach or in many cases confront the perpetrator and exercise the authority given to them by the league, tournament or soccer god to nip the "abuse" in the bud. simply because some spectator questioned their call or lack of call. Don't you guys see what the complaint is? I know I just dont get it.......
Why would there have been a need to nip anything in the bud had parents simply adhered to the code of conduct they signed on to?

And you're right; you just don't get it.

There IS a system. There has always been.
Why is it that coaches and DOC'S don't know of this system. There's different classes to take for different levels of referee . So explain why in the last year's referee's at games and tournaments are not at par or healthy a nuff to a be a ref.

Why would there have been a need to nip anything in the bud had parents simply adhered to the code of conduct they signed on to?

And you're right; you just don't get it.
And the fact that you do is the reason that my soccer fan career will last only as long as my daughter plays which is one more year. As I have stated many times on here, I dont even like soccer and the only reason that I watch it is to watch my daughter. The refs can chastise the "uneducated" fans, the coaches and clubs can offer up their hollow promises to make all the kids in into the next Mia Hamm, and the crazy parents can worry fret and brown nose to get their 10 year olds more playing time because college scouts may be watching. Never got it, won't ever get it, and thankfully won't have to get it for very much longer.

And the fact that you do is the reason that my soccer fan career will last only as long as my daughter plays which is one more year. As I have stated many times on here, I dont even like soccer and the only reason that I watch it is to watch my daughter. The refs can chastise the "uneducated" fans, the coaches and clubs can offer up their hollow promises to make all the kids in into the next Mia Hamm, and the crazy parents can worry fret and brown nose to get their 10 year olds more playing time because college scouts may be watching. Never got it, won't ever get it, and thankfully won't have to get it for very much longer.
Good riddance!

Why is it that coaches and DOC'S don't know of this system. There's different classes to take for different levels of referee . So explain why in the last year's referee's at games and tournaments are not at par or healthy a nuff to a be a ref.
We are not responsible for their ignorance.

Were not responsible for yelling at the referee's for stupidity, out of shape and too old to run

I have never seen a soccer referee stop a game either because someone in the "bleachers" was vocal about a call. Where did you see this?
Never? You gotta be kidding.
You should have been in San berdu a couple of weeks ago, parent was complaining about a call aggressively, ref stopped the game and kicked him out, warned the coach and the game resumed.

Were not responsible for yelling at the referee's for stupidity, out of shape and too old to run
Were you talking about soccer referees or MLB Umpires? NBA refs? NFL refs? Does anyone here watch professional sports? Every sport sees mistakes during every game. Why would soccer be any different. Mistakes happen. So what. If a guy making $3000 per game makes a mistake, you think a $30 per game guy isn't going to do the same thing? So far in both AYSO and Club, our teams have one loss that might be contributed to a bad call, and that was actually a parent for the other team providing the AR for a AYSO game. So we have one loss, doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Yes it is nice to win. But it is even better to see improvement from your son or daughter's team. Referees can't keep that from happening, in any sport.

Were you talking about soccer referees or MLB Umpires? NBA refs? NFL refs? Does anyone here watch professional sports? Every sport sees mistakes during every game. Why would soccer be any different. Mistakes happen. So what. If a guy making $3000 per game makes a mistake, you think a $30 per game guy isn't going to do the same thing? So far in both AYSO and Club, our teams have one loss that might be contributed to a bad call, and that was actually a parent for the other team providing the AR for a AYSO game. So we have one loss, doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Yes it is nice to win. But it is even better to see improvement from your son or daughter's team. Referees can't keep that from happening, in any sport.

Back