Seven stages of Covid.. keep playing and find out how far you will go!

Soccermaverick

SILVER ELITE
Get vaccinated. If you choose not to, here’s what to expect if you are hospitalized for a serious case of COVID-19.

Stage 1. You’ve had debilitating symptoms for a few days, but now it is so hard to breathe that you come to the emergency room. Your oxygen saturation level tells us you need help, a supplemental flow of 1 to 4 liters of oxygen per minute. We admit you and start you on antivirals, steroids, anticoagulants or monoclonal antibodies. You’ll spend several days in the hospital feeling run-down, but if we can wean you off the oxygen, you’ll get discharged. You survive.

Stage 2. It becomes harder and harder for you to breathe. “Like drowning,” many patients describe the feeling. The bronchodilator treatments we give you provide little relief. Your oxygen requirements increase significantly, from 4 liters to 15 liters to 40 liters per minute. Little things, like relieving yourself or sitting up in bed, become too difficult for you to do on your own. Your oxygen saturation rapidly declines when you move about. We transfer you to the intensive care unit.

Stage 3. You’re exhausted from hyperventilating to satisfy your body’s demand for air. We put you on noninvasive, “positive pressure” ventilation — a big, bulky face mask that must be Velcro’d tightly around your face so the machine can efficiently push pressure into your lungs to pop them open so you get enough of the oxygen it delivers.

Stage 4. Your breathing becomes even more labored. We can tell you’re severely fatigued. An arterial blood draw confirms that the oxygen content in your blood is critically low. We prepare to intubate you. If you’re able to and if there’s time, we will suggest that you call your loved ones. This might be the last time they’ll hear your voice.

We connect you to a ventilator. You are sedated and paralyzed, fed through a feeding tube, hooked to a Foley catheter and a rectal tube. We turn your limp body regularly, so you don’t develop pressure ulcers — bed sores. We bathe you and keep you clean. We flip you onto your stomach to allow for better oxygenation. We will try experimental therapeutics.

Stage 5. Some patients survive Stage 4. Unfortunately, your oxygen levels and overall condition have not improved after several days on the ventilator. Your COVID-infested lungs need assistance and time to heal, something that an ECMO machine, which bypasses your lungs and oxygenates your blood, can provide. But alas, our community hospital doesn’t have that capability.

If you’re stable enough, you will get transferred to another hospital for that therapy. Otherwise, we’ll continue treating you as best we can. We’re understaffed and overwhelmed, but we’ll always give you the best care we can.

Stage 6. The pressure required to open your lungs is so high that air can leak into your chest cavity, so we insert tubes to clear it out. Your kidneys fail to filter the byproducts from the drugs we continuously give you. Despite diuretics, your entire body swells from fluid retention, and you require dialysis to help with your renal function.

The long hospital stay and your depressed immune system make you susceptible to infections. A chest X-ray shows fluid accumulating in your lung sacs. A blood clot may show up, too. We can’t prevent these complications at this point; we treat them as they present.

If your blood pressure drops critically, we will administer vasopressors to bring it up, but your heart may stop anyway. After several rounds of CPR, we’ll get your pulse and circulation back. But soon, your family will need to make a difficult decision.

Stage 7: After several meetings with the palliative care team, your family decides to withdraw care. We extubate you, turning off the breathing machinery. We set up a final FaceTime call with your loved ones. As we work in your room, we hear crying and loving goodbyes. We cry, too, and we hold your hand until your last natural breath.

I’ve been at this for 17 months now. It doesn’t get easier. My pandemic stories rarely end well.

As a person with child hood asthma.. I know what this is… if you think you can out smart this virus you are wrong.. get vaccinated.. and to those who have had or think it’s not a big deal… remember chicken pox’s comes back as shingles.. what will Covid 19 come back as… No One knows. Keep playing doctor and find out.

Get vaccinated. If you choose not to, here’s what to expect if you are hospitalized for a serious case of COVID-19.

Stage 1. You’ve had debilitating symptoms for a few days, but now it is so hard to breathe that you come to the emergency room. Your oxygen saturation level tells us you need help, a supplemental flow of 1 to 4 liters of oxygen per minute. We admit you and start you on antivirals, steroids, anticoagulants or monoclonal antibodies. You’ll spend several days in the hospital feeling run-down, but if we can wean you off the oxygen, you’ll get discharged. You survive.

Stage 2. It becomes harder and harder for you to breathe. “Like drowning,” many patients describe the feeling. The bronchodilator treatments we give you provide little relief. Your oxygen requirements increase significantly, from 4 liters to 15 liters to 40 liters per minute. Little things, like relieving yourself or sitting up in bed, become too difficult for you to do on your own. Your oxygen saturation rapidly declines when you move about. We transfer you to the intensive care unit.

Stage 3. You’re exhausted from hyperventilating to satisfy your body’s demand for air. We put you on noninvasive, “positive pressure” ventilation — a big, bulky face mask that must be Velcro’d tightly around your face so the machine can efficiently push pressure into your lungs to pop them open so you get enough of the oxygen it delivers.

Stage 4. Your breathing becomes even more labored. We can tell you’re severely fatigued. An arterial blood draw confirms that the oxygen content in your blood is critically low. We prepare to intubate you. If you’re able to and if there’s time, we will suggest that you call your loved ones. This might be the last time they’ll hear your voice.

We connect you to a ventilator. You are sedated and paralyzed, fed through a feeding tube, hooked to a Foley catheter and a rectal tube. We turn your limp body regularly, so you don’t develop pressure ulcers — bed sores. We bathe you and keep you clean. We flip you onto your stomach to allow for better oxygenation. We will try experimental therapeutics.

Stage 5. Some patients survive Stage 4. Unfortunately, your oxygen levels and overall condition have not improved after several days on the ventilator. Your COVID-infested lungs need assistance and time to heal, something that an ECMO machine, which bypasses your lungs and oxygenates your blood, can provide. But alas, our community hospital doesn’t have that capability.

If you’re stable enough, you will get transferred to another hospital for that therapy. Otherwise, we’ll continue treating you as best we can. We’re understaffed and overwhelmed, but we’ll always give you the best care we can.

Stage 6. The pressure required to open your lungs is so high that air can leak into your chest cavity, so we insert tubes to clear it out. Your kidneys fail to filter the byproducts from the drugs we continuously give you. Despite diuretics, your entire body swells from fluid retention, and you require dialysis to help with your renal function.

The long hospital stay and your depressed immune system make you susceptible to infections. A chest X-ray shows fluid accumulating in your lung sacs. A blood clot may show up, too. We can’t prevent these complications at this point; we treat them as they present.

If your blood pressure drops critically, we will administer vasopressors to bring it up, but your heart may stop anyway. After several rounds of CPR, we’ll get your pulse and circulation back. But soon, your family will need to make a difficult decision.

Stage 7: After several meetings with the palliative care team, your family decides to withdraw care. We extubate you, turning off the breathing machinery. We set up a final FaceTime call with your loved ones. As we work in your room, we hear crying and loving goodbyes. We cry, too, and we hold your hand until your last natural breath.

I’ve been at this for 17 months now. It doesn’t get easier. My pandemic stories rarely end well.

As a person with child hood asthma.. I know what this is… if you think you can out smart this virus you are wrong.. get vaccinated.. and to those who have had or think it’s not a big deal… remember chicken pox’s comes back as shingles.. what will Covid 19 come back as… No One knows. Keep playing doctor and find out.
Perfect example of using an extreme case for generalizing the whole. Kind of like people that say vaccines kill people. You're just on the other side of the spectrum.

This isn’t a extreme case.. You may never get to stage 1.. good for you…650,000 people have died in this manner… Polio scared people because you could see the outward affects of the disease… If you die of Covid you go into the hospital and you don’t come out..

The (YOUR) laissez faire attitude of the current population wheeling and dealing with the virus needs to be called out!

Print this on leaflets and drop them on the hordes of unvaxxed. Should work..

I have COPD and I ended up in the hospital at about stage 3 in your description above after coughing for days and not able to clear my lungs. My wife eventually called 911 after I was unable to walk to her car so she could take me to urgent care. One night in the hospital "cured" me -- I can breathe easily now with help of twice-daily inhaler usage, but I still have the COPD.

Feeling your own lungs killing you slowly is no picnic.

This isn’t a extreme case.. You may never get to stage 1.. good for you…650,000 people have died in this manner… Polio scared people because you could see the outward affects of the disease… If you die of Covid you go into the hospital and you don’t come out..

The (YOUR) laissez faire attitude of the current population wheeling and dealing with the virus needs to be called out!
It would be nice if you broke down who out of 650k died, at what age, and how many pre existing conditions. Then add how many covid cases total, to include the estimates of those unreported because they weren't symptomatic. But I have a feeling it it wouldn't give off the same extreme viewpoint you are trying to deliver. But whatever, get vaccinated and stop coming out of your house, because everytime you step out you are risking the spread of covid or risk getting covid yourself. Practice the extreme views you preach or shut up.

At your
I have COPD and I ended up in the hospital at about stage 3 in your description above after coughing for days and not able to clear my lungs. My wife eventually called 911 after I was unable to walk to her car so she could take me to urgent care. One night in the hospital "cured" me -- I can breathe easily now with help of twice-daily inhaler usage, but I still have the COPD.

At your age I'm not surprised. You should probably give up your drivers liscense to.

When I was young I got to stage 2 with asthma … it was awful… still remember it to this day… I feel what you are going through… COPD is not a joke… follow what the doctors tell you and keep up to date on changes… I notice the body has a funny way of thinking you have enough O2 when you actually don’t.

good luck

Really? Cause not one person that I know whom has had Covid (pre vax) has had that experience. Not my neighbors, not my co-workers, not my Nephews, financial advisor (and his family), not my Chiropractor, my Brother-in-law, Sister not my 80 ur old Mother-in-law. Before you say it, 5 of the people on this list have gotten Covid in the past month and are Not “vaccinated”.

Can it be serious 100%, is the experience you articulate possible, 100%, is it likely, NOT AT ALL.

If your worries, get the shot but to paint a morbid picture like that is irresponsible.

98% survival rate and climbing.

I'm pro-vax, but this is just straight up fear mongering (and yes I fell for a 100% troll post). Like I've said before, compliance through fear only works sometimes for churches and totalitarian countries.

Let me take the emotion out of it for you and look at the data. In my county, San Diego, in the last 18 months you've had a 99.98% chance of not suffering the alleged 7 stages of Covid if your under 60. (Which I believe is the age group that applies to all of us on this forum, with the possible exception of Espola).

Keep in mind that vaccines are not risk free. My teen daughter was the first to get the vaccine in the family because she volunteers for seniors. She has had a very troubling side effect for the last 5 months. She will not be getting a booster if recommended.

Um...yes it is.

80+% of those that have died are 65+ in age. With that heavily skewed at 70+ and with health issues. The rest who died? By and large people with serious health issues.

The vast vast majority of people have no worry as it relates to covid.

So...if you are high risk get vaccinated.
I can tell you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

The definition of a stage in this context is
a period or phase in the course of a disease also : the degree of involvement or severity of a disease

You should watch the movie Logan’s Run… what age is acceptable to die of covid. ?

Hey Mavs, how many of these souls bodies were in excellent condition when they came in with Covid? How about how many were in good condition? Average age please? BTW, good condition + excellent condition means no underlying health issues beside Rona. You get that? Last but not least, how many were under 18? Thanks for scaring folks again with all your bullshit. Exposed!!!!

I can tell you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

The definition of a stage in this context is
a period or phase in the course of a disease also : the degree of involvement or severity of a disease

You should watch the movie Logan’s Run… what age is acceptable to die of covid. ?
Add another to the list of those afflicted with fear-based Covid myopia.

Um...yes it is.

80+% of those that have died are 65+ in age. With that heavily skewed at 70+ and with health issues. The rest who died? By and large people with serious health issues.

The vast vast majority of people have no worry as it relates to covid.

So...if you are high risk get vaccinated.

mostly over 60 but the middle age group is growing with the delta variant. Let’s see what happens in the next few months.

Really? Cause not one person that I know whom has had Covid (pre vax) has had that experience. Not my neighbors, not my co-workers, not my Nephews, financial advisor (and his family), not my Chiropractor, my Brother-in-law, Sister not my 80 ur old Mother-in-law. Before you say it, 5 of the people on this list have gotten Covid in the past month and are Not “vaccinated”.

Can it be serious 100%, is the experience you articulate possible, 100%, is it likely, NOT AT ALL.

If your worries, get the shot but to paint a morbid picture like that is irresponsible.

Typical deflection… not my chiropractor… that’s a good one!

Back