SCDSL adding Discovery Division

Unless you live in LA County or Ventura County or Santa Barbara County then those options suck just as much as Norco.

Isn’t Great Park easier for Orange County and San Diego County residents? Norco is better only for Riverside and San Bernardino.

You guys are so focused on the girls side only that you cannot see beyond it.

Boys side has had DA for 10 years and SCDSL exist not just for the girls. It is not their version of DPL, as that's girls only league. The boys side has had 3 leagues, ever since SCDSL was formed 5~6 years ago. Not a big deal.

Try not to over think it...

I am quite surprised with the reaction of most of you guys....

Nowhere did I read that its mutually exclusive. In other words, its just another division within SCDSL. Those SCDSL clubs with teams in DA, and ECNL probably will remain as is and their top flight 1 team will go into the new division. So think about it as "Champions Division" relabeled and with more perks for the winners. Furthermore, NPL and CRL teams are one of the Flight 1 teams anyway so they'll just keep on doing both..

The point is you didn’t have to create a new “division” to do all of this. You could have kept the Champions division and added all the rest.
And full disclosure, my dd’s team may end up playing in this division. However, we know the real reason for this new division. . .

MWN, good summary...perhaps I am missing something but is this essentially the Champions Division moved to Silverlakes and paired with financial perks ?? Or will the two co-exist??

Translation: More expensive and more control over athletes.

Did they forget to mention...
Silverlakes is a great complex to watch TV and drink a beer while the kids play.
Too windy for good soccer
Too hot in summer and fall
Pay to park every weekend
Team fees will likely be substantially higher as all those "free" perks have to now be included in the team registration fee.

The biggest problem right now for SoCal soccer is talent is split between 3 leagues and all the leagues are diluted.

1. CSL and SCDSL should merge their top divisions into this league

Add DPL and it would be even better. Even then, it would still not compete with DA. If you added the ECNL teams then it would be a super strong number two league next to DA.

Because the SCDSL are just administrators. They have no interest in improvements, just more opportunities to make money. Instead of making soccer more accessible and more local, they are increasing inconvenience, costs, frustration and the well being of players. The more parents drive and pay, the more frustrated they become and the more pressure it puts on players. And $1400 is the cost of one tournament, maybe $50 a player. That’s one round trip to Silverlake including gas and parking fee. Really?
Really. As opposed to multiple round-trips to San Diego, San Bernardino, Santa Barbara, and where ever else you will be required to play on any given weekend in SCDSL and/or CSL as it currently stands? What's the difference in terms of cost? Minimal, if any. But really, the costs of all of this and all other club soccer in SoCal is another matter.

I definitely agree that club soccer is a massive money grab and there are plenty of under-served families. And I know for a fact that there is talent being overlooked because of the limited access that the current pay-to-play culture brings, but still I see the value in terms of scheduling consistency and quality of play a set-up like this should bring. Baring burning it all down and starting over with some of that $150M US Soccer is sitting on, this division is a good development for the club community.

If you can't see that, you're likely an "all-or-nothing" guy. No band-aids, no improvements, just wholesale change of culture or don't bother.

Add DPL and it would be even better. Even then, it would still not compete with DA. If you added the ECNL teams then it would be a super strong number two league next to DA.
DA's not supposed to compete with local competition. It's a feeder for the US teams. They shouldn't be in the discussion. And ECNL has so few teams in SoCal that it doesn't really matter. Top SCDSL teams can still play them at Surf Cup etc. to test their mettle.

The point is you didn’t have to create a new “division” to do all of this. You could have kept the Champions division and added all the rest.
And full disclosure, my dd’s team may end up playing in this division. However, we know the real reason for this new division. . .
They could not because there is promotion and demotion into and out of the new division. Its supposed to be more competitive with less emphasis on the development. It will only exist for the olders.

They could not because there is promotion and demotion into and out of the new division.

There is promotion and demotion in SCDSL, although it’s not as formal as CSL. And why couldn’t you have simply added the new promotion/demotion element to Champions division?

MWN, good summary...perhaps I am missing something but is this essentially the Champions Division moved to Silverlakes and paired with financial perks ?? Or will the two co-exist??

Sounds like it to me. It appears to me that they'll just move most of the Champion teams into the new league/bracket. Having everyone at Silverlakes is like what CSL is doing with Premier by having 90% of the games in San Bernardino. Why couldn't they just have applied these changes to the Champion bracket? Did they really need another bracket to water things down?

I guess this is a way to add relegation to their league but isn't that what they were trying to move away from in the first place?

Ok, assuming you are correct that its purely a money play to keep teams in the league and collect dollars. How is this different from any other league? Moreover, its looks like SCDSL has one-upped the competition for those dollars. In light of the fact that all this soccer costs us parents money and playing in Regional leagues is even more expensive because we have to spend big bucks traveling to Arizona and Nevada and New Mexico, etc.. Seems like this new division may be money well spent because it solves a major problem for the parents of non-DA and ECNL kids ... exposure and will ultimately save those parents their hard earned cash, but we will lose Hilton and Marriott points.

You can always drive to Norco/Corona the evening before the game and stay at a Hilton or Marriott branded hotel. I just solved the hotel points problem.

Norco is also close for north Orange County teams. They made a big investment so Norco is staying for a long time. Great Park would be a great place but not sure scdsl will benefit.

Just have the games in the mornings from 8 to 12 or after 6pm. It sucks but Norco will remain the main place for a long time. Heck I had to travel to Ryan park this weekend for a state cup and it sucked!!! I will take Norco over Ryan park or Temecula or Lancaster or San bernandino.

It should be: Norco, Oceanside, Lancaster for north la teams and hoping great park but doubt it.

DA plainly intends to go its own way. For SCDSL and CSL to compete with DA, this new league is a good first step EXCEPT it needs to do 3 more things:

1. CSL and SCDSL should merge their top divisions into this league, then all the top non-DA teams can compete vs each other.

DA's not supposed to compete with local competition. It's a feeder for the US teams. They shouldn't be in the discussion. And ECNL has so few teams in SoCal that it doesn't really matter. Top SCDSL teams can still play them at Surf Cup etc. to test their mettle.

Relax BRO, I know DA is the top league (at least 2003 and younger). That's what I was trying to tell JJP. As for my ECNL statement, wouldn't you agree that this new division would be even stronger and better (steel sharpening steel) if the ECNL teams were also involved? That was my point.

Now with respect to your condescending tone, a little much.

first glance it just splits up the talent more. Already fighting about leagues/divisions. Then you add Surf. Then you add Silverlakes. Anyone living in Mid/South OC and south isnt going to be happy. This works for big clubs who give certain teams to a handful of coaches and those are the only team levels they coach. Most coaches who have multiple teams spread across multiple flights & other coaching commitments wont place their teams in it.

There is promotion and demotion in SCDSL, although it’s not as formal as CSL. And why couldn’t you have simply added the new promotion/demotion element to Champions division?

There is no promotion and relegation in SCDSL. That was one of the tenet when the league was set up originally. One of my kids played in the inaugural year of SCDSL and I clearly recall the debate here in the old forum people arguing SCDSL vs CSL. My younger kid plays for SCDSL club now and has for several years.

Placement into Champion division is decided by DOCs and is self nominated. There is no set criteria, like in CSL. For SCDSL to say that there is promotion and relegation would go directly against the charter and what they stand for so its cleaner and easier to set up a new dedicated division as a separate thing.

Don't know what your issue with SCDSL is and I don't care, really. All I'm saying is that its not a big deal that they are doing this. At least it will go back to having a real Flight 1 level, like the very first year when Flight 1 consisted of 10~12 teams, and not 40 like is now. Someone mentioned earlier comparing to Premier - I agree.

Works best if DPL goes away and those teams move into this division. Could create a better environment for a lot of the soon to be displaced players looking for high level competition that aren’t geographically near ECNL Clubs.

You’ll never get ECNL teams to switch....why would they leave the ECNL league?

Yea I agree DA doesn’t compete directly with CSL and SCDSL, but they all compete for talent. DA is great but the travel for games is ridiculous. CSL, SCDSL and all the other local leagues can compete with DA for talent by offering games vs. quality local teams with less travel, I think that’s a winning idea, and the way to do that would be to merge the top division in each league.

Back